Stupid question

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Cailleach
    on

Stupid question for anyone using the BSD recipe book.

Are the calories carbs etc. for the whole dish or for a portion (so if the dish is for 2, the calories etc. would be for one portion out of 2)?

Sorry if this seems a bit daft, but comparing a recipe to MFP and Fatsecret I am getting wildly different answers and I really don’t want to go wrong on Day 3 ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for any help – and apologies if I missed something in the book that tells me…..

• posted by shalimar
    on

I believe the calories are per portion.

There may even be small variations after dividing by number of portions … because of measurement differences especially when it says things like “handful”… and there may also be differences because of the brands one uses …. like why do packages of spinish have different calories. And then if you say a cup of spinach … how packed can you make the cup.

• posted by topcac
    on

Yes, calories are per portion – sometimes the recipes are for one, sometimes two, sometimes four!! No wonder we’re a tad confused!!

• posted by Cailleach
    on

Thank you both ๐Ÿ™‚ I erred on the side of caution, so all is good ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Mary1965
    on

So to clarify, does that mean if a dish is for 2 portion and total calorie content is 400, you have only had 1 portion , the calorie count is 200? Sorry if this has been asked before as I’m day 1 of the BSD.
    Also one other thing, I’m using the app MyFitnessPal and it calculates how many calories you have burnt and adds this to your total overall calories left, so done I have the full 800 calories, or stick to the food only. I hope that this makes sense

• posted by Getting my life back
    on

Good morning Mary1965 no question is a stupid question you are correct if the total calorie content for a recipe is 400 and the recipe is for 2 people and you have 1 portion you count 200 calories. I am sticking to the 800 calories any exercise is a bonus ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Mary1965
    on

Thanks for that, I thought I had this clear in my mind. It can be confusing at times. I suppose being under is a bonus for the days when you are over.

• posted by Getting my life back
    on

i try not to be just in case I am tempted to overeat on another day if I am under I just leave it or have yogurt and berries in the evening

• posted by Snoop
    on

I’m not clear what your second question (on 24 October) refers to, so I’ll try to clarify the matter. I hope this doesn’t come across as over-simplistic, because you are right: the reference in the recently published BSD recipe book is a little lost from view.

In the BSD diet book, on page 183 at the start of the recipes, it states that the calorie counts are for one portion. So if a recipe feeds four people and it says 250 calories, each of the four servings amounts to 250 calories (the total recipe would be 4 x 250, so 1,000).

In the BSD recipe book by Dr. Claire Bailey and Dr. Sarah Schenker, the reference is hidden on page 9 in the introduction: “All the calorie counts in the recipes here are calculated for a single portion, and, in the spirit of pragmatism, we have rounded them to the nearest ten.” So, in the simple egg muffin recipe on page 42 for six muffins, for example, each muffin is the 130 calories detailed alongside the recipe.

If you are looking at other recipes, than that may be a different matter. You can calculate the calorie content of the dishes you prepare by weighing the ingredients and using a calorie calculator or a website or app like My Fitness Pal or Fat Secret, as you are already doing.

I hope this helps.

• posted by Mary1965
    on

Thanks for that snoop, it has cleared it up. My other question is, I use the app MFP and this calculates how many calories you have burned during exercise. I used the 800 calories on the food plan but also I have done 45 minutes of exercise which has given a calorie count of 862. So the question I am asking is do I include this as well and I therefore can eat extra or just stick to the 800 calorie food plan?
    The MFP looks like this first thing in the morning:
    Goal – 800 Food 0 + Exercise 0=0
    By the end of the day:
    800 calorie= Food 1376 + Exercise 862=which gives me a positive balance 286
    Hope this makes sense
    Mary

• posted by Avila
    on

Don’t add the exercise calories to input, stay aiming for the 800 consumption. The exercise just adding to the losses side of the equation. Though some people add a bit extra food if exercising heavily – but not to the level burned off, just listening to their bodies if need a bit more.

On the other hand when I have had a bad day for falling off the wagon I do try and add extra exercise to mitigate the effects!

Please log in or register to post a reply.