Stories

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

It’s great to see so many stories about our journeys to where we were on starting this, as well as our journey together on this.

This is my story.

Put on my first diet at age 10 or 11 (in very early 1960s) – the usual sheet from GP. Before that sweets were my reward, even for being good at the dentist! But was never slim while at school.

Started work, got married, had children. Was put on fat-free diet because of gallbladder problems. Of course when it was removed I was told I could eat anything, so I did. During my pregnancies I had gestational diabetes, but nobody said that was a good indication I would become diabetic in the future.

Through the years I tried Weightwatchers, Slimming World, Rosemary Conley, a liquid meal replacement (you mixed the powder with diet lemonade and after one such ‘meal’ I couldn’t face food for a few days!). And many other diets. New Year would find me prowling the local book shop to see what new diet was being released. I was sure I would find ‘the one’, the one that would work – this time. I spent a fortune on slimming clubs and their products, magazines and diet books. Sometimes they worked, but not for long. I’ve lost that weight so many times!

Around 2007 was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, controlled it with diet and after a year was told they’d done the test incorrectly and I wasn’t!!! Then in 2009 moved to a new area and diagnosed type 2 again. Around this time I tried Weightwatchers and Slimming World again but although I followed the plans strictly I lost nothing, except money. I found a book on low-carbing and lost weight successfully, but life got in the way. I read Atkins, Dr Bernstein, and various other books but they were much stricter.

At quite a low point I found Dr Mosley’s book at the end of last year, discussed it with my diabetes nurse and started the plan on 19th December.

Before this way of eating, I was always looking for the next meal – panicking if food wasn’t nearby. Now I can miss lunch without any anxiety, I’m not panicky when travelling, my mood is much better, thinking clearly now the ‘carb fog’ has lifted. More energy, joints don’t ache. And an irritating cough I’d had for ages has completely gone!

At last I’ve found something that works and is sustainable long-term 😃

• posted by Kimgall
    on

Lynne … I can relate to so much of your story … I am so pleased you found Dr Mosley!!
    I have just posted again to my initial topic I started yesterday, and now wish I had put it on this thread! May copy and paste it, if I can!
    I was first diagnosed with diabetes in 2004, and now on 2x1g Metformin, Insulin twice a day and Dapagliflozin just for diabetes!! Never have been one for taking care of myself … always others. So, diabetes diagnosed, carb diet recommended, doctors visited, and struggled ever since! My responsibility, I know. Been to slimming clubs, tried to stick to diets, always embarrassed cos never lost anything, so gave up!
    I probably have nearly every diet book imaginable … the majority of which I never got past page 20!!
    However, this time I read the book … worked out what I can eat … and going to make this work … I hope!!! Why can’t I be more believing in myself???
    Enough of me … I am so pleased you are doing so well … and sharing your journey. I see when you started there wasn’t as many on this forum as now, so you have achieved this without the help we are all gaining from. I am looking forward to hearing how you cope in Prague … and definitely want to know what family have to say!!
    🙂

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Yeah Lynne you’re sort of our pathfinder and as such you have done a magnificent job.
    Your weight loss and sugar control achievements have inspired so many others on the forum including myself.
    Kimgall, just another few weeks and we’ll be saying the same things about you!

• posted by Kimgall
    on

You’d better, Bill! I can’t wait to be one of those you are patting on the back!!! 🙂

• posted by hashimoto
    on

This is my story. I kept having tests for hypothyroidism. I knew I had all the symptoms and life was pretty difficult. The test said I was at the low end of normal – for years. I started falling to ‘sleep’ in my dinner. I was so cold one August I had the central heating on, thermal clothes and duvets but couldn’t get warm. My hair was dropping out, my skin was painfully dry. Then one day my mother asked me what the big lump on my neck was. A huge goitre. I had been far too tired struggling to work while feeling utterly exhausted to notice. Went to the doctors and they thought I had hyperthyroidism because of the goitre. I knew I didn’t. A more complex (expensive) test was done and I was told I had Hashimoto’s hypothyroidism. Of course I had put a lot of weight on due to the hypothyroidism and have struggled ever since.
    I then developed chronic asthma and was diagnosed last year (after repeated lung infections) with bronchiectasis. I have much larger than normal doses of inhaled steroids and often have to take prednisolone as well. This of course also causes problems with weight.
    Like many others of you on here I tried every diet going with barely any success or none at all. Then December/early January this year I began to get frightened. I was putting on as much as a pound a day sometimes and no matter what I did my weight kept on climbing up. I was eating far fewer calories than recommended – between 500 and 1200 a day.
    In December I was put on antibiotics 3 days a week to prevent me getting so many chest infections. After a month of treatment I was still clear of infection and this coincided with reading about this diet in a newspaper. I ordered the book straight away and started the diet while I was waiting for it to arrive. I was hopeful that it would work but not overly optimistic. I approached it with trust in Michael Mosely but with the experience nothing else had worked. I did try the 5:2 which would have been successful if I hadn’t constantly been on strong antibiotics which required me to eat before taking and steroids which increased my hunger. Now I only take one antibiotic 3 times a week which makes life simple.
    I started this diet on the 20th of January and I am in seventh heaven!! The fat is disappearing. I had skinny arms and legs and a barrel for a middle and I am now beginning to get a waist back and my stomach is beginning to flatten. People keep commenting on how healthy and energetic I look. I don’t get cravings for carbs any more and haven’t missed my favourite jacket potatoes at all.
    I had a shock yesterday when I found out that my fasting blood sugar levels between 2011 and 2013 had varied between 4.5 and 8( not had any done since) they were written in my notes as ‘normal – hypothyroidism’. Now I wonder what they were before this diet – probably not good at all. So glad I started this diet. I feel like I have been give my life back after a decade or more of feeling like I have been clawing my way through life.
    If anybody is thinking about starting this way of eating – don’t think, just start, you won’t regret it.
    P.S I have currently lost 1stone 13lbs and my BMI is down to 23.5. Still some fat to shift from my middle but it is going fast. Can’t wait to join Lynne in a little over a week

• posted by Kimgall
    on

Hashimoto … WOW!! Congratulations! You have done so well considering what you have had to go through! You are yet another person that proves how brilliant this way of eating is just that … LIFE CHANGING!! Your story is motivational!! x

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Kimgall, thank you so much for your kind and supportive words. I think all of us on this site have had to go through a lot before we found this amazing ‘diet’. Looking forward to more posts from you about your journey on this path x 😉

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks for your kind words Bill

Hashimoto, thanks for sharing your story. You’re doing really well. Looking forward to welcoming you at the end of your 8 weeks.

Please log in or register to post a reply.