Stock cubes?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Helster2010
    on

Hi all
    I love soup and so was going to buy some stock cubes to start making some soups to freeze. My husband makes fresh chicken stock which is great but wanted a store cupboard option as well. When I looked at the ingredients for stock cubes they all seem to have palm sugar / palm oil / sugar in so I wondered which ones you use if you are making soup or need to use stock?

Thanks, Helen

• posted by Snoop
    on

To be honest, I rarely bother with stock cubes in soup. I find they ‘muddy’ the flavour a bit. Not a good word, but the best one I can think of. So I just use water and add salt and any other spices or herbs that seem appropriate to the soup.

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

Marigold veggie bouillon powder is the least worst though quite salty. Seems to keep soups quite clear. Quite nice as a drink too. Mkx

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I looked everywhere for non-sugary bullion cubes to no avail. Plain stock is almost impossible to find without added sugars as well. Finally I found two brands of stock that were sugar and carb-free. One is halal, the other kosher. Not a coincidence, I suspect.

• posted by Helster2010
    on

Thanks for your responses – I think your suggestion is good Snoop as I guess just by cooking veggies in water that’s making a stock!

Please log in or register to post a reply.