Stir fries

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Patsy
    on

Can you please suggest some good flavourings/sauces for stir fries?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Make your own with garlic, ginger and soy sauce or a little sherry vinegar.

• posted by Patsy
    on

Thanks. That’s what I did, but my husband found it too dry and wants some kind of sauce. Bought ones all contain sugar and thickeners which are high in carbs.

on

My hubby says the same, is he eating rice or is he on the BSD. For my oh I add some juice like apple or pineapple, after I have served mine out. It goes well with the soy sauce. If he wants it thick add a teaspoon of cornflour. again, assuming he is not on the full plan.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

My go-to dressing for Asian-style dishes is 3 tablespoons of soy sauce, 2 teaspoons of toasted sesame oil, 1 tablespoon of chili garlic sauce (I use Huy Fong brand but there are several other Asian hot sauces/pastes which also have no sugar), one minced garlic clove, the white and light green parts of a scallion (about 10 grams), finely chopped, 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger or a teaspoon fresh, minced.

The whole batch is 133 calories, 5 grams carbs, and it’s easily four servings. I’ve used it on salads, stir fries and my favorite kelp noodle “lo mein.” It’s got a little kick to it from the chili sauce and ginger, which you could ramp up or reduce according to your preference.

• posted by Patsy
    on

Thanks.

My husband is sort of doing the diet. He’s eating the same as me, but having a small serving of bread, pasta or rice when he’s hungry. He’s only very slightly overweight and not diabetic, so this seems sensible and means we don’t have to cook different meals.

He likes his sauce thick and gloopy! Last night I used garlic, ginger, chilli, five spice, fresh coriander and lime, plus water. To thicken I used some pysillium husks. They thickened it slightly, but I only used a small amount as we’d not tried them before and read that they can have a laxative effect. Will use a bit more next time.

on

Pretty much the same as my hubby, 6′ 1″ weighs 12 stone and only has slightly raised BP (and he is 72 years young). We eat the same main foods but he has some white carbs like rice or pasta, he still has mash with Sunday roast but more and more he tells me not to bother. Like brunch today was grilled bacon, grilled mushrooms, scrambled egg and tinned tomatoes, normally he would have 2 slices of bread to soak up the tomato (and he normally has fried egg), now he doesn’t bother and he is healthier and slightly lighter than when I started.

Please log in or register to post a reply.