Steroids and high blood sugar

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Maryschoen
    on

I have an autoimmune disease that affects my lungs. I therefore have to take steroids, and always will. My blood sugars are in the pre diabetic range, but it is not known if this is because of the steroids, or if I am “properly” pre-diabetic. Do you think the BSD will reduce my blood sugars despite taking steroids. Also is steroid induced high blood sugars as dangerous as other causes of high blood sugar?

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Maryschoen — you are going to find out! Maybe you can coordinate with your doctor as you move forward and your experiences/blood sugar readings can be helpful to others — I imagine that this is a very common scenario as steroids are used to treat so many issues — you are probably very wise to use diet to treat the side-effects of the steroids (high blood sugar) as it is never good to have high blood sugar. Good luck and keep us posted.

• posted by Maryschoen
    on

Hi, update. After just 10 days my blood sugar is down to a healthy 5.2mm/l. I didn’t think I would lose weight very quickly as I only have a stone to lose for a healthy BMI. However my fat %age is 38%, so I guess a lot is visceral. Also previously I just cut out the white stuff but ate loads of fruit. For the last 10 days I’ve kept my carbs down to 50 grams and I’ve lost 8lb. So everybody, really count the carbs honestly and this really works. Now I’m doing it for health rather than aesthetics I’m so much more focussed.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hi Mary, I also have an auto-immune disorder and am on daily steroids. I have been following BSD for 6 months now and have managed to lose 10kg. My doctor is impressed as she says losing weight while on Prednisone is hard. My pain and inflammation levels have greatly reduced since starting this WOE, fatigue has gone, I feel so much healthier, good luck – it sounds like you’re off to a great start 🙂

• posted by Maryschoen
    on

Wow, that’s inspiring. It is a pain taking steroids and immunosuppressants but the alternative was worse. I’m finding this easy to follow. I ate so many carbs. The quiz “are you addicted to carbohydrates” resulted in a score of 16/17!
    Congratulations on your weight loss.

• posted by Melodeon Millie
    on

Hiya Mary,

Well done you!

I was so addicted to carbs I was too scared to do the quiz.

Been on steroids for nearly 30 years and have despaired of ever losing weight, especially as the prednisolone resulted in stomach ulcers which feel so much better for stodgy foods. But your topic has given me hope, thank you so much!

Mel

• posted by Maryschoen
    on

Hi Mel, Good luck. I’m so glad my post has been of benefit. I had a mega fruit craving yesterday which resulted in my also eating chocolate! I was so annoyed with myself. I’ve been busy today and very focussed, so all good. However I also think that this way of eating should be for life and therefore realistic. So I will have a glass of wine or two at weekends. My blood sugar is staying in the healthy range after only a few days of reducing carbs. I know the weight loss will slow, especially as I take thyroxin and immunosuppressant as well as prednisone. However I can accept the slowness knowing that it’s fat loss. Best Wishes.

• posted by Busybee
    on

Hi Mary
    Take a look at the “Anyone taking steroids and doing BSD” topic.
    I am still off the steroids and feel great though I have to confess that I haven’t lost any more weight but am hard at it again now.
    Good luck
    X B

• posted by Maryschoen
    on

Thank you, a great link. Having a real 3rd week struggle and finding reading these post helpful.

• posted by garincha
    on

I dont know the win/lose answer to your question. I was on prednisone for a few weeks last year and i was amazed at the amount of insulin it took to bring my bloodsugar levels down this. Lower carbs helped, but it was an amazing battle for glucose control. Prednisone ultimately helped me overcome the upper Respiratory infection that nothing else seemed to fix, but definitely keep your meter nearby and use it often. Stay close to your diabetes doctor….
    Best wishes

Please log in or register to post a reply.