Starting today 30.1.17

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Predhaynes
    on

Hello everyone, I have just turned 41. The NHS now does over 40’s health assessments which involve a chat with a nurse, blood sugar test and weighing. I was told that my last blood sugar reading had been 42 mmol/mol which is apparently normal. When I realised that this was a prediabetic warning, I was horrified. My results are now back and it is now 39, still not great. I also have a waist size of 37 inches. I am on a mission to reduce this to 31 inches.

• posted by Salma1985
    on

We can do this Predhaynes!!!!

• posted by Predhaynes
    on

Thanks Salma! Just weighed myself and it looks like I have already lost over 2 kg in a week. I am hungry though….

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Hi predhaynes! Well done on your weight loss, and on starting the BSD journey (oh no the “j” word!). I hope you’ll find lots of support and encouragement on these forums.

I have reached maintenance now but have clear recollections of my first tentative BSD steps. I think many on these forums will agree that the first couple of weeks on BSD are by far the hardest. I found that after the first week I was ready to give up, I felt hungry, grumpy, tired and so on. Then somewhere around day 10 (it’s different for everyone) as if by magic, I woke up feeling absolutely awesome! I honestly feel 20 years younger than I had before (I’m almost 62), bright, clear minded, bags of energy, positive outlook etc etc. If you continue to feel hungry all the time check to make sure you are eating enough fat, it’s so counter intuitive to those of use used to the low-fat myth, but it does make a big difference.

All this to say keep going, keep pushing through, the rewards are immense. All the best to you. You can reach your goal sooner than you imagine!

• posted by Lampy
    on

Hello, I started on 30/1/17 also. Mind if I join? I started yesterday as I have a week off work and wanted to get the carb flu out of the way. Im quite tired this morning which a cup of coffee hasnt resolved but will push on anyway.

I didnt want to ‘diet’ but think the fast weight loss will help me stay motivated and the strictness will help me stay honest and then hopefully reset my constant hunger so I carry on with healthy eating as described in the book. It would also be great to get down to my target weight to prove to myself I can do it……..I dont have to stay borderline overweight as my best option.

I usually can fend off over eating weight gain with fairly high levels of exercise but recent injury has stopped that, ive probably only gained a few kilos at the moment but it is noticable. Im in the middle of the ‘overweight’ on the bmi scale and has a 38.5 inch waist. Just measured this morning on day 2, in the morning, so often I would be more bloated/bigger than that. I would like to get into the middle of the healthy weight category which means I need to lose just under 20kg – that has been my target for 4 years – the closest I got was 74kg….10kg over, in the borderline overweight category.

Im following the recipies from the book, Ive made errors, such as forgetting that prawns I used in my luxury fish pie were already cooked so I cant reheat it – got cold fish pie leftovers now!

Im sure I will get hungry and will push past it, my biggest worry is not being able to sleep, this has happened before when I was exercising a lot, I would have to get up, have a bowl of cornflakes and go back to bed, if I didnt do that I just wouldnt sleep! Im intending to follow the brunch and supper model so I eat a fair amount in the evening, Im usully a big breakfast eater though.

• posted by Predhaynes
    on

Hi Daisymum, thanks for your wise words of encouragement. I think I am still in shock after finding out that I was probably prediabetic for years. Struggled with overeating and being overweight. Also for the last year, I have been excercising regularly but it had little impact on my waist size or weight. The only thing that has ever had an impact was the 5:2 diet. Funny how you know something is not right but lack the discipline to change until it is shoved in your face. My blood sugar has reduced but I refuse to go back to my old eating habits. I am only doing the diet for 2 weeks and then the Mediterranean diet. I am logging everything using MyFitnessPal.

• posted by Predhaynes
    on

Hi Lampy, Thanks for your message. It would be great to go on this journey together. I am finding that I am hungry in the evening but don’t have many calories left because I have had breakfast and lunch. Although I swear by the MyFitnessPal, it does not allow you to complete the day with 800 calories recorded. But as it is such a powerful tool, you can scan food bar codes and put in URL for recipes, it is indispensable. I am still tired in the evenings and can sleep but I find I am awake earlier than usual in the morning. I am also colder, not sure if this is normal. I want to go to the gym tonight but as my hot water is not working, I don’t want to get cold coming back from the gym. Maybe some weights and yoga instead. We can do this.

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Hi Predhaynes, if you click on goals on the darker blue line at the top in My Fitness Pal and click on edit you can put your calorie target at 800 – and play around with the carb, protein percentages too. You may also find your body starts to warm up soon, once it has got to grips with your new normal, especially if you up your exercise. Regards.

• posted by Predhaynes
    on

Hi Annie, Thanks for the advice. What I also liked about MyfitnesPal was that depending on your calorie intake, when you completed the diary for the day, it would tell you your projected weight in 5 weeks. I found this really encouraging. What happens now is that because I am consuming less than 1000 calories per day, it refuses to do this! If I cheat and add on some calories to make it to 1k, then it says I will be about 71.5KG. I haven’t been this weight in years!!!

• posted by Predhaynes
    on

Hello ladies, how is it going? Well I have lost over 4kg since restricting my calorie intake. I have struggled staying below the 800 calories. Together with my son’s birthday on Friday and then the weekend with my family I went over the limit. Nevertheless, I have not consumed bad carbohydrates, sugar or alcohol. I have now also reintroduced fruit into my diet, I have had a few green apples andb blueberries with Greek yogurt. I think my family and I are all shocked at the portion sizes! Previously, I would have happily eaten 500g of 0% fat Greek yogurt instead of the 2tbs of full fat Greek yogurt I am now allowed. Just goes to show that my overeating was directly connected with me being overweight.The more my family have learnt about diabetes and prediabetes, the more supportive they are to me having a low carb/Mediterranean diet. So in effect, I probably stuck with exact portions for 4 days and had a bit more on the other 3. Long term, I don’t have the self control for the 5:2 diet and will probably just stick to eating better, hopefully!

I felt dreadful up until Thursday. Now I am feeling better but I still lack the strength or stamina for doing runs at the moment. I am managing 2-3 strength sessions at the gym per week. These involve aerobics, weights and floor toning exercises. And lots of walking, I try to do 2-3 long walks a week too. I am only now seeing results by changing my diet.

Would love to know how you guys are getting on?

• posted by Lampy
    on

Hi Predhaynes, sorry I missed these replies. Well done on the fantastic result and glad you are feeling better!

I am happy with this, particularly as I had a big cheese baguette related slip up on Sunday. I had a couple of days where I was very tired earlier in the week but otherwise my energy levels have been OK, hunger hasnt been a major issue – especially when im busy. I have 2 meals a day based on the recipes from the book, I would never have believed I could hold off breakfast until 11.30 with the power of a coffee with double cream alone but im fine not having breakfast as long as I hydrate with water in the morning. I havent had any sleeping issues which was my biggest worry.

Ive been back in the office this week and have found that whereas my body temperature usually runs pretty hot im the one complaining of the cold in the office. Yesterday was a real pain, it was a slow day in the office and I was so bored, I wasnt really hungry but all I could do was think of my stomach and going and foraging for some food, I got through the day without cheating but I have been quite grumpy the last 2 days – something I would usually treat with a big bowl of carbs or sugar! Ive grazed some unnecessary cheese and meat from the fridge today but must stop myself slipping to much and find a cure for my grumpyness that isnt food.

All in all, its been a positive week. Quite hungry but not gnawing my own arm off stage. A slip up but nothing too crazy. My focus this week is staying on track but increasing my vegetable intake and also looking to reduce the cost of the food Im buying, Im hoping this will be possible as I got a few store cupboard staples for the first week.

I hope youre continuing well, let us know how youre getting on

Please log in or register to post a reply.