Starting over – losing the same weight all over again :(

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Laska
    on

Right.. Here I am again.. I am totally sick of myself because this is the THIRD time I have had to lose this weight.. I was successful at 5:2 fasting diet about three years ago, maintained for a while , then put a load back on, so then I did BSD this time last year and nearly ( but not quite) lost it all again. I stayed pretty much ok until the late summer when it started creeping up after a summer of white wine and Bbqs .

But now I’ve put it all back on again (with 14lb of that only in the last couple of months!! ) .. I have a wardrobe of clothes that dont fit, and I am totally, utterly disgusted with myself because once again I need to lose at least two stone to get back to a reasonable weight (and ideally more) .. .

So I’m back again.. I do know what to do to lose the weight .. (mainly keep off the wine,) , I want to be slim. (Oh, more than anything) . I am lucky that I dont have prediabetes (yet), but I am 59, an apple shape and I hate all forms of exercise..

Ive re-read the book and have started again today .. am under 800 calories , and am posting to commit doing this until I have lost it all again.. 34lbs is the first goal (though 10 lbs more would be fabulous.. ) .

• posted by MaryR
    on

Hi Laska!
    You could almost be writing my story, it’s so similar to mine! I really do understand the way you’re feeling right now. What stood out for me in your post was how very hard you’re being on yourself- I do think that what might really help is to be kinder to yourself, and get that this is NOT your fault, it is not a matter of will power, it’s this sugar/carb addiction which so many posters on this site have discussed, and that although handling the addiction is hard, it CAN be done- I know, I’ve done it three times before- Atkins, Dukan and then the first BSD- (A variety of other forays too, over the years- lo cal, Cambridge, WW, SW, etc etc!).

I want to get down to 9st or thereabouts- another 35lb to go. I’ve just started my second round of BSD; like you, I lost 20 lb last year, and have gradually put it back on by returning to the carbs- I do love them, and after all, one piece of toast (or two) can’t hurt can it? 🙂

I’m two weeks in now, and have lost 9.5 lb in 16 days, and I feel great; a couple of days of carb flu and then the lifting of the brain fog, returning energy- BUT this time I really have taken on board that I need to deal with sugar and carbs the same way I dealt with the nicotine addiction 34 years ago- that I AM addicted to them and that I CANNOT return to using them when I get to goal weight. One cigarette or one piece of cake will not kill me, but returning to the old ways will, in time. So maintenance really will be the key, and I realise that I have never actually recognised this before. This time, I’m not being so rigid with the calorie count, but focusing more on the carbs, aiming to keep below 50, which means staying largely off beans and pulses and checking the carb content of fruit BEFORE I eat it, not afterwards! This WOE is so flexible, as we can see from all the forum posts, finding what suits YOU best, if it’s working, is the way to go.

It is hard to get back on the BSD programme, but once you do , it is not difficult to follow, and I know you know that because I’ve checked out your brilliant posts from last year! Go back and have look at them.

What really did help me to understand the addiction angle were the books by David Gillespie, mentioned elsewhere on the forum; Sweet Poison, and Big Fat Lies.
    Keep at it!
    Mary

• posted by MaryR
    on

Oh, and I hate exercise too! There MUST be a way of getting to love it :-)!

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

Don’t be too hard on yourselves! You lost the weight once, which shows the plan works for you, and you have the willpower. Maintenance is always the problem, on any plan! As a low carber for more than seven years, it’s definitely the way to regulate weight gain – so many nice things you CAN eat so eating that way soon becomes a way of life ‘cos you’re not feeling deprived. T2d diagnosis and meds put 3 stones on me in 6 months, but doing this since October, blood sugar is normal and I’m 38lbs down. Good luck this time!

As a not-at-all natural exerciser, I learned very early on in my journey that if I don’t like it, I won’t do it, and if it’s not easily accessible I won’t do it even if I like it,. I hired a rowing machine for £30 a month (which was about what I spent on a posh gym membership 3 miles away that I never used) installed it in the spare room and now do 20 mins on a high intensity programme, morning and night,, while watching Breaking Bad, and in the summer, I ride my bike on a traffic free 3 mile circuit 100 yards from my house.. On Sundays I swim after church – a six mile drive I don’t have time or inclination for in winter. A diet buddy friend took up an adult ballet class at 18 stones and she loves it, so she goes twice a week. She’s now 12 stone 10. Just say in’. What do you love? Salsa? Do that! MKx

• posted by MaryR
    on

Hi MK, that sounds like a really brilliant idea, thank you- I’ll look into that for sure, of all the gym equipment out there, the rowing machine is the only one I enjoy! Otherwise the only reliable way I exercise is a one-to-one at the gym once a week, and I’ve just started a pilates session, with machines, which I am enjoying very much, though that’s not exactly exercise, just amazing stretching, so far anyway. I’ll keep looking for other ideas.
    M

• posted by Laska
    on

Thanks , and yes, Mary M and Maharani K, the one thing I am really good at is being hard on myself!!
    (I really must try and stop that but sadly with my body image it is a bit ingrained..) .

However , onwards and upwards.. Yesterday was great and I was 2lbs down this morning! ( Water i know..) today not quite so great as I am now probably about nearer 1000 cal.. but I have (almost) got to 10000 steps . (If i run up and down the stairs a few times ill be there ) .. I do have a fitbit and that helps.. and as for not doing much/ hating exercise , well I have a sedentary job which doesnt help but I am also afraid that even after all these years also a bit of a victim of my dreadful schooldays – the humiliation of school sports put me off ever joining in again (or finding it anything else than humiliating torture) ..

But I am not very good at ‘joining in’ and being ‘sociable’ all told, … I’d really just rather just read books .. I do like walking though and do a fair bit of that at weekends with DH,.

I did quite like Zumba when I went with a friend to a class where I lived before , I could do some of that at home I reckon , .. I also have a rebounder which I used to ‘run’ on , and for Christmas this year I got an adult microscooter!! .. ( I wanted one so I could go out with the grandkids) .. So today , as I was not at work this pm I took it out and scooted around the village by myself!! It was fun actually , and I didnt get too many odd looks .. I also read that scooting could use up to 300 cals an hour , so it does seem like a good idea. ( I also had this idea that I could also park the car further out and scoot into work..and save on car parking)

I have a bike also which I used to commute on before we moved here but is now dusty in the shed , but where i live now (countryside) its v hilly and the roads are narrow.. However when its lighter in the evenings perhaps..?

• posted by Laska
    on

Ooh yeah.. , all my old posts are still there .. Gosh it was only April last year when I finished my 8 weeks and had lost 19lbs .. A salutory lesson on how fast it can come back if you go back to the ‘old ways’ ..

• posted by MaryR
    on

Don’t I know it, Laska!

MK- where did you hire the rower? And which one is it?
    Mary

on

I got mine at row hire.co.uk – it’s a nice thing, wooden, bizarrely, and resistance is provided by water tank. Had a problem with the meter and they fixed it really quickly. It’s £39 a month, but good value in a way ay my OH uses it too. Recommended, my abs are genuinely starting to emerge after almost 3 months! You can buy one for £900 or so, I never thought I’d say this but am quite tempted. MKx

• posted by MaryR
    on

Laska, I just love the idea of you scooting round the village, you’ll probably start a trend 🙂

MK, I’d found that one and was very tempted, but had never heard of it, I was expecting a Concept type but those really are too noisy to be able to hear the TV, so seeing that the water one was quiet, it sounded great. And you can store it up against a wall, so I will go for it.

I have a big challenge today (although I like the idea on another thread of calling it a real life event)- I am taking my son and his partner to le Manoir for lunch- my Christmas present to them since my son’s partner has aspirations to getting a Michelin star himself one day. Fingers crossed that I can stay strong, but whatever happens I will enjoy every mouthful!

Mary

on

Tbh Mary, it’s not particularly quiet. I watch tv on laptop using wireless headphones.

I absolutely love the idea of a scooter, just love it. *scurries to interwebby and counts Christmas money* – thanks for the inspiration Laska! Who knew that adult versions even existed?

La Manoir!!! Enjoy – fabulous! MKx

• posted by Laska
    on

Yes get one Maharani!! .. I have a lovely purple micro scooter flex which folds down.. Its such fun.. very sturdy and looks a bit like a skateboard , but is easier to use (I imagine) , Several other companies do adult scooters also .. some much less expensive than the Microscooter brand.. DH just got me the same make as we had bought for the grandchildren, he doesnt t think to shop around . But I am totaly thrilled with it.

MK how was le Manoir? How fantastic! (I am sure that was not a time to hold back! , ( I wouldnt if Iwas lucky enough to go .. oops… bad Laska) You can start again tomorrow.

We had a water rower once.. a long time ago .. It was bought 2nd hand by someone who was living with me at that time.. Then they left and left it.. . It made a great clothes horse.. I sold it eventually. But when I was working at a university , some time ago , I did use the rowing machine in the gym there for a few weeks in a fit of exercise enthusiasm . I remember, it was a Concept ..I rather liked it . The water rower never seemed the same to me ..

So Day Three , Ive done well today definately under 800 and not hungry , Dranklots of water and Ill be taking my mint tea to bed in a bit. So yes a good day ( maybe i’ll see a small loss on the scales tomorrow )

on

It’s Mary who was off to LeManoir, Laska. And I’ve ordered my scooter!

• posted by LinD49
    on

Angela06 interesting article, sounds feasible. Could be why I put on 2 stones last year after the Atkins diet! Thanks for sharing.

• posted by MaryR
    on

Yes, an interesting article, I think I saw something about it a few months ago on one of the many television programmes- it might even have been one of Michael’s.

I’m not sure though how relevant it is WRT the BSD, since the mice were on low/high fat diets, not low/high carb diets. I really don’t think I can blame the bacteria for my devouring all those carbs and putting the weight back on last year! But I am sure that having healthy gut bacteria is key to health, and cutting right back on the sugar as you do in BSD should go a long way towards this. In any case, we’re not going back there again, are we ladies- it’s going to be low carb for long term maintenance, so the bugs won’t get the chance to do any more damage! Another good reason for maintaining properly when we get to goal.

• posted by MaryR
    on

Report on lunch at Le Manoir- all I can say is WOW! I have not been before, and was a bit apprehensive, although I was expecting the food to be amazing, (which it was) I thought it night be a bit posh and pretentious – not at all! A really beautiful house, we were welcomed by all and looked after perfectly.
    It started with a glass of champagne and canapes, then a five course tasting menu, each dish a small amount of exquisitely cooked and presented food, with flavours, textures and colours blending and contrasting beautifully. Then coffee with petit fours to finish. My son and his partner also had the wine recommendations for the various courses, which they said were excellent.

It was afterwards when we took a walk round the grounds that I appreciated that ALL the vegetables we had eaten were seasonal and grown organically in their own garden!

So how did I do? After the champagne, no more alcohol; I didn’t have any of the wonderful breads on offer (in fact didn’t really feel tempted, wanting to keep my appetite for the food to come); and I gave the shortbread biscuit that came with the fabulous citrus desert to my son. Apart from the dessert, petit fours and the small amount of potato there wasn’t that much obvious carb, and this morning I am exactly half of one pound up! That will go tomorrow; today will be a very low cal and low carb day. And I’d kept the rest of my calories for yesterday to under 500.

My bottom line for life events is going to be minimal or no alcohol, and NO grains, specially wheat; otherwise I shall enjoy!

Going to hire the rower today and get going with that- not sure the village is ready to see me scooting around yet, but perhaps I can get my 4yr grandson to come with me when he comes to stay to save my selfconciouness 🙂
    Mary

• posted by Laska
    on

Le Manoir sounds wonderful Mary !. (am morethat slightly green with envy)

Thanks for the article link Angela, thats really interesting and something I have thought maybe the case before..

Well my first weekend didnt go as well as I hoped , and I ended up a lb and today hasnt been easyeither as Ive felt so cold in this freezing fog we have had all day .. so I have eaten more tha 800 again today.. but I am being kind to myself , even if I end up only a pound down it wil be something . and perhaps I’ll treat last week as a pre-8 weeks ease-in session! .

Marahani .. has your scooter arrived? waht did you get ? its been far too icy here to scoot sadly..

on

Hi Laska

My scooter is due tomorrow. Am very excited but it’s rather frosty and icy here and I’m having to take a bit more care as my cough is still lingering from Christmas and seems aggravated by cold air. But the first good day, and I’ll be out! Mkx

on

Le Scooter est arrive!!!

Needs some assembly but will be popping down to the post office after lunch on my new steed. Thanks for the idea, Laska, this has really put a smile on my face after a pretty grim January so far. Though what am I saying. Have lost 7lbs in 4 weeks! But this horrid coughing virus really got me down.

But now I can scoot all my troubles away!! MK x

• posted by Laska
    on

Yay!! Maharani ..(shame we cant post pics of our steeds) ..
    You’ll now notice the bumps and potholes in you local pavements!! Oh, and the little dips ( whee!) and inclines ( harder than you think!) .. Scooterly Toot!!

I can’t wait for the ruddy freezing fog to go (along with icy roads) so I can get out on mine again.. . I would have usually used it today on the last quarter mile to work as my usual car park is closed on Tuesdays (for market day) and I have to park quite a bit further out , but today , it was so icy I nearly went AoverB just getting out of the car so picked my way gingerly instead ..!

Hmm… another day and I wont have lost anything again I am sure .. I was fine all day and didnt eat over my calories .. home to courgetti (yes we can still get some here!) and turkey bolognaise sauce , all good .. but then I hit the nuts (lots) again after dinner DOH! .. ( I have to stop this) .

I have a meal out on Thursday also ..

• posted by MaryR
    on

Hello everybody- how are you all doing? How did you cope with your meal yesterday Laska? And are you all scooting and rowing?

Reporting on this last week- after Le Manoir, (sighs delightedly!) A couple of days where the scales wobbled a bit but have now continued the downward trend- 1.5lb down on the numbers of the morning of the event! And 10.7 lbs in the 3 1/2 weeks since starting the second BSD, so well pleased with that.

The rower arrived this week, and I have just spent a happy hour putting it together – and then filling the water reservoir- which was a bit of a bit of a challenge since there were no instructions on how to use the siphon thingy! So tomorrow I shall don the rowing kit and lifejacket and give it a go. I have been wondering how you coped with earphones and the laptop, MK, but have just reread your post and see that it is WIRELESS earphones you use! Back on to Amazon- again! Thanks so much for the ideas and great insights.

Onward!

on

Mary, mine are just cheapies I bought in the sale at Argos! MKx

• posted by MaryR
    on

Wot- the rowing gear?? Oh no- you mean the earphones! 🙂
    I’ll check it out tomorrow- thanks again!
    M

on

I got a lovely t shirt for Xmas that says ‘education is important, but rowing is importanter… Lol

Please log in or register to post a reply.