starting in maintenence

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by dachca
    on

I was taking blood pressure medicine and diagnosed as prediabetic. I lost about 70 lbs on a pretty strict low carb diet, and I no longer need the BP medicine and blood glucose and AiC is in normal range. I tried adding carbs back, up to about 60~80 grams per day. This did not raise my BP or weight, but did increase my A1C just into the prediabetic range. I went back to 20 g carbs and A1C dropped back to normal. Anyway, I would like some more variety in my diet than 20 g or carbs allows. I don’t care about eating sugar, but I would like to be able to have oatmeal for breakfast, or and an apple for dessert without worrying about getting kicked out of keto. I bought the book, and joined this forum in the hope I could adopt this way of eating without my blood sugar rising. My question is does the BSD work because of a general low carb menu, or is it the specific kind of carbs allowed? Is it wishful thinking to hope I can increase carbs and stay out of the prediabetic range?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi dachca – firstly a huge well done on losing the weight and stepping out of the pre-diabetic range. My understanding is that it is the general low carb menu that is key. Obviously, we avoid the obvious carbs like wheat, rice, potatoes, but also watch the carbs in fruit, veg, oats (grain and cereals in general). However, there is a huge variety of foods available to us on 20g carbs a day, especially as I imagine you have now upped your calories.

I’m sure someone who is experienced in reversing their pre-diabetes or positively impacting on their diabetes using the BSD, will offer a much more tailored response, as I’m personally not equipped to do this, having taken on the BSD purely to lose weight and improve wellbeing.

Would recommend joining the ‘After reaching your target, what next?’ thread, where those of us maintaining gather to post on how we are progressing, offer advice etc. and you’d be very welcome to join us.

Please log in or register to post a reply.