Starting Feb 27th

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Cathy77
    on

All help and advice needed here. I’ve never done any kind of low carb diet before but have lived on weight watchers and slimming world regimes all my life. Despite the ‘dieting’ I have a scary amount of weight to lose, we’re talking double figures. I’m fortunate that diabetes isn’t a factor, I just need to do something different as I don’t want to have to give in to the doc and have bariatric surgery.

• posted by kilwinny
    on

Hi Cathy,
    I am starting again today. I fell off the wagon even though I had good results with my blood sugars.
    It does work……..if you stick to it. 😉
    Kilwinny.
    Good luck to both of us!

• posted by kilwinny
    on

I forgot to mention that I too have a lot of weight to lose. Maybe we can keep each other motivated.
    Kilwinny

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Cathy77 – welcome aboard! There are allsorts of folks doing the BSD for a variety of reasons and they are all welcome here. First thing to say is that, it is important to ditch the low fat training that WW and Slimming World give. On BSD full fat is what you need, but carbs are to be avoided. This means banishing bread, cakes, biscuits, potatoes, rice and pasta of any type. It takes awhile to get your head around it, but you will soon find it becomes second nature.

You might find that you experience some level of carb withdrawal in the early days. This could be headaches, feeling weak and lethargic, or flu’ like symptoms. These will pass and you will quite quickly be noticing benefits, both in weight loss and non-weight benefits too.

Final advise is to make good use of the forum. There are lots of lovely folks on here, who will offer advise, support and encouragement, so just ask and someone will respond.

Good luck and I’ll look forward to reading your positive results soon.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

When I started out I had an enormous amount to lose too. I still do, in fact, but a lot less than I did when I began the BSD last August. I know how daunting the prospect can be. Try to focus on the moment, would be my advice, and short-term goals like fitting into an old garment or weighing what you did X years ago, etc. A lot of short-term achievements helps motivate that long-term achievement.

SInce you’ve never done low carb before, you should look up the nutritional content and ingredients in everything you plan to eat. I was amazed to see how high in carbs some vegetables, even ones that grow above-ground, can be. Apps like MyFitnessPal and FatSecret are lifesavers on that score, because they make it easy for you to plan your carb and calorie count your meals so there are no nasty surprises.

Best of luck to you!

Please log in or register to post a reply.