Starting blood sugar diet on 1st July.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by harryjt
    on

Hey blood sugar Dieters. My name is Harry, I’m 30 years old. Currently have a BMI of 33. So I’m classed as obese.

I’m starting the BSD on the 1st July. Anyone else starting around then?

I had previously done the diet 18months ago with initially great results. I manage to loose 2st 10lbs in 8 weeks. Unfortunately I didn’t stick with it. Not sure why but I’ve relapsed and managed to put back on 3 stone.

Has anyone else has a similar experience?

Anyway I’m starting on the 1st July. With a weight of 14stone. I wish to get to 10st 7lbs eventually.

Be great to meet new people here to share experiences!

Harry.

• posted by Libstar
    on

I fell off the bsd band wagon recently and need to get back on it! 😩 Weight loss isn’t my main motivator, I have a serious sugar addiction that I want to get over. Need a little ‘July Start’ group to keep me motivated.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi harry and libstar. There is another thread for re-starters but it is nearly at its fourth week so you are right to start a new one for anyone else. I just wanted you to know you are not alone, we have all had our ups and downs so good luck.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Good luck both of you!

• posted by harryjt
    on

Thanks for the replies 🙂

good to hear im not the only one struggling! its going well so far. 6lbs since the 1st of july, im sure its mainly water at the mo.

• posted by harryjt
    on

Hi Libstar. cravings are the worst! im not so much into sugary things! cheese is my downfall, salty foods. beer and wine lol.

what do you mainly struggle with? chocolate?

not sure if this will help but ive recently discovered sharon fruits. i think they are the sweetest fruit ive ever had! my girlfriend eats one of thosee to curb her sweets/choc addiction.

• posted by Arianwen
    on

Hello Harry. I’m pretty much just starting too. In same boat as I lost weight several years ago, different diet, but it’s crept back on. I don’t really have a sweet tooth so can avoid cakes, chocolate pretty easily but, like you, it’s the savoury things that are my nemesis, cheese, crisps, especially with a drink in the evening, something long & cold on these warm summer evenings.
    You’ve done well, 6lb in four days from the first of July, amazing. I’m coming to the end of week 3. Lost 4lb first week, 2lb week two but nothing this week, bit disheartening

• posted by Jo x
    on

Hello! I just started 800 bsd too. I also did it in 2016 after returning to UK to live and saw a huge increase of carbs in my diet… so decided to do something about it . Did 5 weeks then went on holiday and came back and couldn’t get motivated again. So carbs took over my life again as my husband cooks and he loves the pasta, potatoes and rice!
    This time my husband is on board as I’ve recently been diagnosed type 2 but no meds yet. I want to keep it that way, so I’m determined to lose weight and change my eating habits/lifestyle.
    Food wise I’m enjoying the med style eating and not missing carbs. It’s the exercise I find hard to get motivated for. I like waliking but it’s been too hot lately (that’s my current excuse) I want a free way to get fitter.
    What are you doing to increase exercise?

Brilliant weight loss, guys! I haven’t weighed myself …

Thanks
    Jo in Hampshire

• posted by Arianwen
    on

I’m not increasing exercise sorry to say. In fact shamed to say I’m doing less. It’s too hot! Not just for me, I have three dogs who I usually walk every day but they’re all knocking on in years & two of them have health issues, one is in remission from cancer ( which I’m SO pleased about as thought I’d lost him last year) & another has a bit of a heart problem, so I don’t want to add to any physical stress for them so all being couch potatoes in the shade. They’re all small, two tiny, & real Hairy Marys as well.
    I’ve been trying to sort my jungle of a garden out in the early morning before it gets hot but other than that nothing really. Never in my life had a gym membership or been a jogger.

• posted by Frog
    on

your dogs sound lovely Arianwen!
    Read the Poppini diet book, its fab on doing exercise – it doesn’t say “don’t” or try being a couch potato- but does point out the futility of running however many miles to “burn off” a 100 calories or so,

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Hi Arianwen, also have a look at our own MM’s book on exercise ‘Fast Exercise ‘ – it definitely advises against the long, moderate exercise model often advised elsewhere; the evidence is that this type of exercise only increases carbohydrate craving and can lead to weight gain rather than weight loss.
    Also try intermittent fasting – there’s is increasing evidence that this is as powerful as anything for both weight loss and health.
    Good luck – you’re in the right place for support – there are some really knowledgeable, supportive people on here.
    SSB

• posted by harryjt
    on

Hey Arianwen.

its a difficult diet to start, its taken me months to get into the right frame of mind! youve done great to loose 6lbs! ive not lost anything else since my last post. From doing it previously i do remember having a week like you where i didnt loose anything.
    try not to be disheartened!, youve still lost weight!

how are you finding sticking to 800 cals? im a bit of an all or nothing type. so ive started weighing and counting calories religiously. i have the odd evening (like last night) where i eat a bigger potion but that a once a week treat.

ive got 2 secret weapons for cravings.
    protien cheese (from morrisons) gives you your salt and cheese fix (its like 3g fat per 100g and half the calories of normal cheddar!)
    and when i cave in for a beer i have a becks blue (alcohol free) its like 32 calories a bottle and low carb!)
    hope that helps.

keep going!
    Harry.

• posted by harryjt
    on

Hey Jo.

i mainy go for long walks in the countryside. im going twice a day at the moment.

ive been getting up early and going for woodland walks to avoid the heat! its far to hot from midday onwards! I then go for another when it cools down around 7ish :).
    i always make sure i do this daily. i also find going for a walk in the evening helps take my mind of cravings!

also ive been thinking of staring swimming from next week.

Harry.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Hi Harry – just looked at the cheese and it is very high in protein- 37g/100g. What are your protein targets because excess gets stored as fat.
    Maggie

• posted by harryjt
    on

Hey Maggie. i didnt realise that! looking at myfitness pal ive been averaging 40-60 of protein a day.

what would be a good target?

As for the protien cheese, i do try to have small portions! (i say i try!) lol i normally have about 40g a day as a treat. i generally stay between 800-900 calories a day.

thanks for pointing that out! ill make sure i dont over eat it! be interested to hear your thoughts.

Harry.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Hi Harry – the supermarkets are full of pitfalls!
    The commonly quoted protein amount is 1g/kg of ideal weight.
    Maggie

• posted by Arianwen
    on

Thank you for all the tips everyone, so much help & inspiration on these lovely forums. I’ve never heard of that version of Becks, Harry, definitely look out for it as I like Becks. I’m not sure how well I’m doing sticking to 800 calories. I’ve got My Fitness Pal but I don’t weigh things so my portions are probably out. My kitchen scales are ancient things, they’ve never heard of grams, happen I’d better invest in a new set. I bought a new set of bathroom scales last week as I was sure my old ones were broken as they never shifted day to day, but the new ones showed the same 🙁
    Tesco do good individual pots of their own brand full fat Greek yoghurt, only £1 a pack of four, they come in blue & white packaging. There’s a low fat version as well, same price, paler blue pack. It’s easier than guessing amounts out of a big tub.
    Gosh it’s hotter than ever! Doesn’t help that I’m high up very near the moorland fire that’s raging just up the lane. Not used to this tropical weather, it’s always windy but weirdly it’s a warm wind! Usually you can tell which season it is by whether the constant horizontal rain is warm or freezing.

Please log in or register to post a reply.