Starting again but wont let it happen again

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SpartaDiets
    on

Hi everyone
    I am Amy 34yr old from Newcastle I am here to try and keep my mind on the job started the 8 weeks again on 2nd January this year. I say again as about two and a half years ago i successfully completed the 8 week sugar diet and lost 2 and a half stone in those eight weeks.
    I managed to keep the weight off for about a year and a half and once i had finished i had such a better attitude towards food and really considered what I put in my body but somewhere along the way the treats and the oh go on just once and a whiles turned into everyday and here i am weighing even more than I did before the last time i started and the heaviest i have been in my life at 12stone 5lb.
    So I started again last week and i am determined to stay eating healthy afterwards I know i can make it through the 8 weeks i know i can but what i think i learnt it its not about being on a diet its about overall health and sometimes those treats just are not worth feeling so run down and uncomfortable.
    Hopefully I will be able to help first timers and hopefully they can help me too!
    I hope everyone is doing well and i wish everyone success and happiness for 2019

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hope it’s going well for you SpartaDiets. Think the secret is to think of the BSD as a way of life and not a quick fix diet. Sure, the Fast 800 can achieve some great results quickly (as you already know), but then – as you have already identified – the secret is not to allow bad habits to creep back. After all, it was these that brought us to the BSD in the first place.

Well done on stepping up, taking control and beginning again. I’m sure you will be reporting good results soon. Meanwhile, consider joining other threads too, as there is plenty of knowledge, support and encouragement to be had out there – the One Week at a Time thread is a really good one to be part of for instance. whatever threads you join, you’ll get a warm welcome and it really helps with not feeling you’re in this alone.

Best wishes to you for every success and look forward to reading about your progress.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi SpartaDiets,
    Welcome, and as SunnyB says, good on you for getting back on to the BSD. Hope it’s going well your 2nd week in.

I have a very similar story to yours – I did BSD starting 2016, lost a significant amount of weight (6 stone), got into my healthy BMI, and stayed there for about the same amount of time as you. I then started putting the weight back on again in exactly the same way as you describe – ending up regaining 2-2.5 stone. I started back on BSD in October.

While I’ve found it frustrating to have to go thru the weight loss again, as you say, there are positives in where we are; we know how to do BSD, and we can do the 8 weeks, we can maintain (12-18 months is good going), our attitudes to food (and exercise, in my case) are healthier, and we’ve learnt where we went wrong and how to do it differently in future. Most importantly, we’ve turned up!

As SunnyB says join in whichever threads appeal to you. Everybody is very welcoming and supportive. It’ll be great to hear how you get on.

• posted by sandals
    on

Hi Amy
    My story is the almost exactly like yours. I lost 2.5st in summer of 2016 and kept it off for a year. We moved home to a new country at the end of Summer 2017 and since then I have put on 1 to 2lbs per month. It creeps on so slowly, and on the 2nd of Jan I was horrified to discover I was only 3 lbs under the weight I started at back in 2016.
    So new year, new start.
    Stick with it, and I am sure we will see the results we achieved before. I think once I am down to the weight I want to be I will need to factor in doing 5:2 anytime it sneaks up even by a lb, to make sure it stays off.
    Good luck!

• posted by BuffyLover
    on

Hi All,
    My story is almost the same – lost a stone and a half initially and this went up to 2 stone and felt really good, maintained and then went through a bad time at work and then gained a lot of it back. New year, new start, new focus!!
    I’m 7lbs down in 8 days and feeling really good about things!

We can all support each other here, such a positive place to be :o)

Rebecca xx

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Sandals – that’s a good idea.

When I first did BSD I did it with 2 friends locally so didn’t bother posting on here but we would read here to pick up lots of tips. At some point there was a maintenance thread but it seems to have disappeared. My plan, when I reach my goal weight, is to find it or start a new one.
    Meanwhile, we’ve got a whole untouched year ahead of us and we’ve started early – we’re doing great.

Best wishes both
    Jennie

Btw, 2.5st is a bit of a theme here as that is pretty much what I needed to lose when I started posting in October.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi BuffyLover – our posts crossed – 7lbs is brilliant – and I love the name – in fact like both your names!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Guys,
    The maintainers thread hasn’t been lost, its simply not showing up because people haven’t been posting on it. – You can easily bring it back to life by starting conversations on it again once you feel that you have reached that stage.

I have been following the forums since October 2017, and started posting in December that year. I think what has happened is that some people in the maintenance stage have drifted away from posting on the forum as other priorities have come up in their lives. Others pop their head around the door to say hi occasionally, and others continue to join in the weekly and road trip challenges to offer a helping hand to those following in their path. So I am sure you will see names you recognise over time on those threads.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi JGwen – Yes, yours is one of the names I recognise – I’ve read lots of info you’ve posted, listened to podcasts etc. It’s always fascinating.Thanks for that.

I thought something like that must have happened with the maintenance thread. I’m definitely going to resurrect it when I get to that stage even if it’s only me posting! I’m much clearer what I need to do to support myself this time round. xx

• posted by SpartaDiets
    on

Hi everyone,
    Sorry havent been able to get online for a couple of days. I am shocked that I am not alone as i thought i was but really its so easy to go back to old habits and as sunnyB said its a life style not a quick fad.
    Luckily my better half John is doing this with me so i have support as I dont think it works with two people in a home not on the same page. And I can report success after week one I lost 7lb in one week I was so shocked this didnt happen the last time but very pleased and John also lost 7lb in one week also. Now we are under no illusions that this is normal or that we will lose the same next week but boy it was the boost I needed after such a hard year last year comfort food turned into a tool I used to feel better so taking away was such a big thing. You all see so focused to get back on track so its nice to speak to like minded people. Well done to everyone who has started again or even acknowledging you need too.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Amy,
    That’s great going and it’s smashing that your other half is supporting you – and a great start for him too.
    My husband decided to do an ‘almost-BSD’ diet with me this time around and it is, for the most part (I won’t go there) really helpful. He’s lost over 30lb now (loads better than me – hmmm) and can’t get over himself.

Seriously, it is lovely when you can support each other and cheer each other on; best wishes to you both. Keep in touch, let us know how you go – and any tips or tricks along the way will be gratefully received.

Jennie

• posted by SpartaDiets
    on

Hi Jennie10
    That’s great that you and your husband could BSD together even if he did change things up a little everyone has ways to make it there own.
    Tips wise Dog walking and water are my too musts. I drink water like a fish to push the hunger away and when I am really struggling and wanting to eat I take my hound out for a walk (poor dog is knackered).
    I will try and think of some more hacks along the way and would to hear any you all have.

I will be sure to keep in touch and be about on the forum to help and steal hints.

• posted by sandals
    on

Hi all
    Its great when your other half joins in, my husband did the first time but as he is a skinny thing he doesn’t really need to. He was healthier as we were eating much more veggies than we had before but he didnt lose any weight (might have been something to do with him continuing to drink beer).
    He isnt doing it with me this time, but is considerate enough not to eat crisps, chocolate, etc in front of me so that I am not tempted. I dont find it too bad at dinner times because I just add some starch like rice or potatoes to whatever I have made for me and give him that.
    I think keeping in touch on maintenance would be a good idea. I must confess that as soon as I had hit the weight I wanted to be last time I never came back to the forums. It might have helped motive me to try and keep on track when I had a spike in my weight.

Fingers crossed we all stay on track over the weekend! Have a good one everyone

• posted by chunkyd
    on

Hi SpartaDiets. A very similar story to mine. I started the 8 week BSD 1st Jan 2017 and lost 26lbs in 8 weeks and then a further 9lbs on a more relaxed version of the diet for the following 3 months, so total weight loss 2.5 stone. I managed to largely maintain that loss for about 8 months but last year the weight gradually went back on (see my post ‘Staring Again’). I would always console myself with the fact I was still a stone and a half or a stone lighter than when I started, and ‘oh go on I can have chips and a desert’ etc. As of 1st Jan this year I was about 3 lbs less than my starting weight 2 years ago. I too started again on the 2nd Jan, and I have lost 6lbs in the first week. I am pleased that I have settled into the routine fairly well, and finding it relatively straightforward, just as I did the first time.
    Best of luck to you this time round!!

• posted by SpartaDiets
    on

Hi Chunkyd,
    Great news that you started again and the same days as me Come on we can do it!!!!
    Its so easy to fall back and I am terrible for using food in tough times to calm me or comfort me and I did test on BSD site and said i was seriously addicted to carbs which is no surprise.
    Great news on the 6lbs and am pleased to hear you settled into it well. Unfortunately i found my first week really tough as I am off work for a bit till i start my job (long story hated my old job took massive toll on me and i decided to start a fresh and lucky was in a position to have a break) so not being at work i found i had nothing to distract me from food as i found first time round so much easier as was always working ten hour days and lots of forced overtime so i did’nt have time to think am hungry. I have a couple of weeks till i start new career so keeping focused. I would love to hear how you do at the end of the eight weeks.
    Best of luck to you !

• posted by sandals
    on

Chunkyd – I have been doing the exact same as you for the last year, saying to myself, well I am still 1 stone/half a stone lighter than I was. I was just kidding myself that I thought I could go back to bad habits and that the weight would not come back on. It was also the 3lbs below my original start weight that triggered the “must sort this”.

Well done on your lose so far, and good luck !

Please log in or register to post a reply.