Starting… again!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by jpscloud
    on

I tried the fast 800 and abandoned it in the third week. I went back into denial and have been completely off the rails since then.

My blood sugars have gone up, don’t know about cholesterol and blood pressure but fairly sure they have gone up too, as I haven’t been exercising and have gained 2 stones.

So time to try again – I’m going to ease in with the med style diet, not too strictly low carb (allowing myself brown rice, spelt and rye bread in low amounts) and restricting calories to around 1500 per day.

My main aim is to control my portion sizes (usually large enough for three people) and reduce snacking as much as possible. Three main meals, perhaps a small supper if it’s a long day.

I will have days when I’m not in control, and most days I will make a mistake or two. I will try to make these small mistakes, and not let them turn into a day. When they do turn into a day I will try to keep it as a day, not let it run on.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Welcome back jpscloud!
    You sound like you’ve got your approach sorted for this 2nd attempt. Being prepared – both mentally, and getting the right foods in, is so important.
    I’ve been BSDing since January. I didn’t bother with 800cals, I just went for the Med-style approach. I cut back on portions, chose the recommended foods (and ditched most of the crap). Keeping hydrated works well. I have also tried to cut back on the late night eating, trying to ensure I have eaten my evening meal between 6pm and 7pm. And putting food away (not leaving it on the kitchen worktop) helps keep things out of sight, out of mind. I’ve not stuck to things religiously – there have been several pigouts along the way but generally I’ve been able to stick to things.
    My weight loss hasn’t been as spectacular as others – I think the average is just over 1lb/week – but I am close to achieving 2stone lost.
    Good luck this time round – I’m sure things will be easier as you know the pitfalls. Don’t be disheartened if things don’t appear to be working – scales are only one measure of how things are going. Any loss is a move in the right direction, but so are clothes feeling baggier, and just generally feeling better in yourself.

• posted by Bubblesdevere
    on

Hi JPSCloud, all journeys begin with the first step and sometimes we have to start over. I find 800 calories too low and vary between 1000 and 1500 calories a day. I am only 10 days in and losing weight at a level I have never ever achieved before but then I am more than double what my ideal weight should be so I know initially I will lose a lot and then it will slow down. I am in for a very long haul – years to get to an ideal healthy weight so have to be sensible; I know I wont last a week on 800 daily so I do Med diet and weigh fats and carbs and it seems to be working for me. Good luck xx

• posted by jpscloud
    on

Thanks Rozy and Bubbles, I do think I’m improving overall Rozy as far as getting back to it goes. In times past my denial periods would last years rather than months. and I don’t mind a slower weight loss provided I am doing well health wise. I’m also getting a fitbit and will do some moderate exercise to get me started back to a better level of fitness. If I manage to keep myself on track until the school holidays I stand a good chance of feeling well over the summer, and hopefully will be able to sustain the new lifestyle.

I think the fast 800 was a bit too severe for me too Bubbles, I would love to be able to do it but I found I couldn’t really manage even one day in week 3.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi again,
    I think the best thing about the BSD is that it is very flexible. If one way doesn’t work, you can tweak it to something that suits you better. Once you are on the path that suits you, I’m sure you will see the results you want! Take care, & good luck.

Please log in or register to post a reply.