Starter shopping list

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by carlacarla1
    on

Hello, I’m about to start the BSD and wanted to go shopping but feeling a little stuck as to where to start. Does anyone have a shopping list of staples that are good to start with?
    Thanks very much in advance.

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Hi CarlaCarla1, to start with you need to stop buying carbs like the main white foods containing flour and sugar, this includes bread, biscuits, cake, chocolate, breakfast cereals, rice, pasta and skimmed or semi-skimmed milk. Full fat dairy is OK inc yoghurt. Veg and fruit are your friends, meat is OK in small amounts and fish is good. Sparkling water is excellent. Some people need herbs and spices but this is a whole new way of eating for most of us. Nuts and raisins and oranges are too calorific for most days if on 800. Enjoy…

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Best veg are those grown above ground. Root veg are full of carbs. Best fruits are berries. Avoid tropical fruit.

• posted by OzVeggy
    on

I’d suggest lots of cauliflower (to make rice) and zucchinis (for zoodle noodles), tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach. And eggs! I also bought small portion-controlled packets of nuts and planned those for a lunch with miso soup. Then some small fruits like apples or mandarines have helped me get through.

• posted by Frog
    on

definitely yes on the eggs and courgettes (courgette fritatta is a great filling breakfast, 1g carb and less than 100 calories!)]
    the other must have is Greek yoghurt – full fat of course.
    If you haven’t tried courgetti, you may want to try it first – many supermarkets sell it pre-prepared now – if you like it, definitely think about getting a spiraliser

Good wishes for the diet, hope it goes well

• posted by carlacarla1
    on

Thanks all for the replies! xx

• posted by JCH187
    on

Eggs, full fat Greek or natural yogurt, mushrooms, peppers, berries, cinnamon (does wonders to a yogurt!), spring onions, cauliflower, cheese, nuts/seeds, Flaxseed (I add to my yogurt as its high in fibre), olive oil, chicken, beef, prawns. This is what I stocked up on.

I found a couple of recipes on here and made a batch of chilli and cottage pie so I knew I’d be ok until I got to grips with it!

Best of luck x

• posted by Cas42
    on

I think you have answered my question. After years of buying fat free natural and Greek yogurt I was unsure about going to buy full fat.
    I have done enough shopping for the first three days of BSD it was the yogurt I was unsure about. Day one will be tomorrow.

• posted by topcac
    on

Good Luck!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.