Started 2 weeks ago – advice please!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jannylynn
    on

I am pre diabetic (42 mol) and have been advised by my doctor to lose a bit of weight, cut out carbs and exercise more.
    I am 5’9″ and weighed 10st 9lbs when I started this. So presume I am a TOFI, as the GP agreed I was not overweight.

I read the book and started following the recipes, but have found some of them to be more calorific than stated.
    So I have got a bit paranoid (esp after a bit of a stall on the weight loss) and now started to replace some meals with Atkins shakes, and cutting down the amounts in the recipes when I do them.

I am worrying that I am not getting enough protein if I carry on like this…. and maybe starting an unhealthy obsession.

Has anyone purely followed the book with success, even though sometimes the calories will be wrong?

Thanks for any input!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I believe many people have done that, and still lost weight well. I personally didn’t follow the recipes in the book at all, and just made sure I had enough protein and fat while trying to limit carbs. Either way works, but I preferred adapting the things I already made to starting with a recipe. I am not sure at all that shakes are a good idea in the long term, as they will not help you retrain your view of portion sizes or what to cook/eat going forwards.

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

Hi
    I’ve been doing this way of eating since November. Nearing 2 stone loss. Haven’t counted calories or carbs just following the med plan principles. I use some recipes from the books. I adapt my regular ones to be BSD friendly. Different ways work for different people. I want this as a long term way of eating for life hence why no counting. Good luck and there’s plenty of fabulous advice on here too just use the search field and you are sure to find some nuggets of information. If you need any help or support just ask!

• posted by Jannylynn
    on

Thanks for the replies – I want this to be a long term thing too but the thought of counting ALL the time would do my head in. Sensible and balanced approach seems to be working then! I didn’t like the idea of the shakes – it was for a quick fix only, but could feel myself starting to obsess a bit…..

• posted by M1ke1
    on

Hi Jannylynn

Just finished my second week.

Haven’t lost much weight (3kg) but my bloods down from 9 to 5 fasting.

Mainly following the recipes.

But don’t sweat it.

Mike from Oz

Please log in or register to post a reply.