Start Date_7th November, 2016

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Siren5859
    on

Hi All ๐Ÿ™‚
    So have been tip toeing around this for months now – reading all the forums, read the book, pledging to myself that ‘tomorrow will be start day’!
    Received the recipe book in the mail yesterday (finally) and it has an easy to follow 8 week meal plan (much simpler that the book) so I have spent two hrs creating my shopping list for this afternoon’s visit to the supermarket so I can get started tomorrow. I have carefully gone through & linked the recipe to the day to make it easier to find each meal. Funny enough, I already had many ingredients in the cupboard/fridge/freezer so not such a daunting cost. I have a couple of big weeks ahead of me so the planning is integral to me succeeding.
    I am 57 years old and at the heaviest weight ever (116.5kg), and am really feeling it in a whole lot of physical & emotional ways.
    If you are starting this week – please jump on board ๐Ÿ™‚
    I will endeavour to post regularly as this seems to be an ideal way to document my progress.
    Have a great day !
    Deb

• posted by NickyH43
    on

Hi Deb,
    I too started this week (1st November) and although I’ve struggled with my willpower at times can say I have honestly stuck to the plan 100% and so far have lost 11lbs! I’m so pleased, and it’s definitely motivated me to keep going.
    I’m started at 16 stone 10 and have some health issues too.
    It’d be lovely to share this with you.
    Hope you’re first couple of days are going well.
    Nicky ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Littledipper
    on

Hi Deb,
    I’m starting tomorrow too and hoping for a stone loss before Xmas. I’ve tried the diet following 5:2 earlier in the year with some success and have also had a few false starts on the BSD. I am going to follow the plan full-time for and this time keep going after any hiccups!

Wow Nicky, that is an amazing result in your first week.

Good luck all ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Peapod
    on

Hi All,
    Good luck and hope you all achieve your goals. Siren, I too am 57 and in need of overhauling my health and way of life so I am using the forums to keep me motivated. I am halfway through week 2 but would like to tag along and compare notes.

• posted by Storm333
    on

Hi all,
    I would like to join you too for support. I started last week following the low carb Mediterranean to prepare myself for cutting down to 800 cals properly tomorrow (7th November). I’ve lost 7lbs already and haven’t felt too bad in spite of being a huge carb lover. Very encouraging! I’m 55 and 5ft10 and started at 15t 2lbs. Just had a difficult 2 years during which i gained a lot of weight so I now have over 3 stone to lose to get back to my previous weight. Eek! Good luck to us all and here’s hoping for success!! I’m sure mutual support will be really helpful. J x

• posted by Siren5859
    on

Hi Everyone!
    So lovely to have your responses ๐Ÿ™‚
    Nicky, you have set my motivation button to fast forward!
    Welcome, ‘Little dipper’ – you & I will do this together!
    Come on down, ‘Pea pod’ – if you are halfway through week 2, you are way ahead of me, so you might have some advice & tricks to succeed?
    Hi ‘Storm333’ – wow..again..another great effort…7lbs…thats 3kg in my world! Well done ๐Ÿ™‚

Well..I survived Day 1! Scales say I am down 1kg but whatever that means, its still good news ๐Ÿ™‚
    Im using the plan from ‘The 8-week blood sugar diet recipe book’, and find it very helpful – am a bit confused as to the whether the calories & nutritional info mean for the total meal or for one serving of the meal e.g. if the recipe states for 4 serves> do I divide the calorie/nutritional info by 4?
    Have a great day, everyone ๐Ÿ™‚
    Deb
    XXXX

• posted by Storm333
    on

Well done with 1kg down! Last week I found u last every day. It’s stabilised a bit this week but still slowly going down. yes to your question about calories. I found the 9 week plan tricky so I use the meals I like and count calories and nutrition in Myfitnesspal. Hope we’re all doing ok so far. J x

• posted by Jules44
    on

Hi I’ve just bought the BSD recipe book and think this is the way forward for me. I too am 57years old 5ft 7″ & about 14 stone I would like to get back to 10-10 1/2 stone. I have a lot coming up between now & Christmas but Ive got to stop making excuses!!! I am hoping to start tomorrow (9/11/16) need to read the book cover to cover tonight. Any help. Would be gratefully appreciated. :))) you all seem to be doing well & very motivated… send some my way please ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by Avila
    on

Calories in the book are per portion but lots of people weigh and work out figures in apps like fatsecret or my fitness pal

• posted by Jules44
    on

Thank you, hopefully will get my head around it tonight after I finish work at 7pm :((

• posted by NickyH43
    on

Thanks Littledipper and Deb. It’s great to have support from you guys.
    Weigh in this morning at the start of week 2 is an 11.5lb loss, I’m definitely hoping things continue in the same vain although obviously I know I won’t see numbers like that again in a week but it is a great feeling knowing I’ve gone down from one stone to another in a week, it proves that it really does work.
    Cake in the office today but I’ve managed to drag myself away from it reminding myself of the old saying, nothing tastes as good as being slim feels and I know I’d have demolished cake in 5 seconds flat and then felt terribly guilty and upset with myself. Better to steer clear. Knowing my work colleagues it’ll have all gone by now and I can continue feeling virtuous.
    I still feel absolutely freezing all the time and hoping it will pass.
    We have a staff dining hall where literally everything is on offer, 2/3 choices of main, veggie option, pasta, baked potatoes oh, and the salad cart! Then there’s a soup station, hot and cold desserts and a fruit basket. Temptation is everywhere!!!
    Has anyone else noticed that every add on telly is for an unhealthy food product, or is that just me?!!?
    Anyway, hope everyone’s doing well today. Be great to hear how everyone’s getting on.
    Weight loss wishes to all, Nicky

• posted by Jules44
    on

Wowww Nicky thats an amazing weight loss ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป Really do want to start this eating plan after reading your posts.. thanks for the motivation & hopefully let you know how I did next week, got a meal out booked for Friday I cant get out of will have to try & choose wisely ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ Julie

• posted by leharvey
    on

Hi all,

I started yesterday – took some advice from the forums and loaded the freezer with individual soup portions to take to work for lunches – very filling considering its mostly water. Had chicken and steamed veggies for dinner and I’m already down a kilo (granted that’s probably all water weight). Aiming to lose two stone though Xmas will be a challenge! Well done everyone else who is starting – hopefully we can help each other stick to it!

Al

• posted by for ever the optimist
    on

Hi everyone

I started again on Monday, I fell off the wagon big time after doing really well, not sure why, I just lost all will power and now I am back to square one but determined to have another go, I will be checking into the forums for support and advice. Good luck to everyone.

• posted by Littledipper
    on

Hi All,

‘for ever the optimist’ – it’s a restart for me too. hopefully we’ve learnt a few things from last time that will help – for me that’s things like keeping meals simple and having ingredients in the house like cooked chicken, eggs, veg that make meals easy to construct.

Day 1 went well yesterday. I had chicken salad for lunch and poached eggs on mushrooms for dinner. Logged 802 calories and managed to get over 10,000 steps. 1lb down on scales ๐Ÿ™‚

Work was a bit hectic today so I didn’t get out for a walk at lunch but I think cals are on track. Lemon and pepper cod and broccoli for dinner which was very nice.

• posted by Siren5859
    on

Really struggling with this cookbook at times – …how the heck do you measure ” 2 thick cod steaks” ????? Apart from the fact that I will be using fatty tails because cod is not available where I live (!) …Im finding the recipes are a bit vague interns of weight & quantity which simply adds additional stress to trying to measure cal & nutrition ! BLAHHHHH!
    PS – hubby & I are enjoying the meals but I am becoming frustrated with the recipe content!

There..dummy spit done!
    How is everyone else doing?…’Littledipper’ – doing great with your steps! I have to start getting in some additional exercise.
    ‘Forevertheoptimist’ – story of our lives! This time…!!!!!!!!!

Hi Al – welcome to our little chat fest – I am using soup to have at work also ๐Ÿ™‚ In the past, I would often miss lunch then binge when I got home, but I have found having the soup has stopped all of that.

Okee dokee..better go & get stuck into my day (In Australia ..where are you all from?).
    XXXXX
    Deb

• posted by leharvey
    on

Morning everyone!

Deb – I was also struggling with the recipes in the book a little (nice recipes, but sometimes too much faf) so instead use myfitnesspal to work out calories – I sit down on a Sunday and plan all meals for the following week, make a grocery list based off that, and stick to it! To get as much nutrition as possible I’m sticking to the basics – oily fish twice a week, white fish twice a week, other meat and eggs three days per week – three/four portions of vegetables for dinners (all different colours, preference for raw and/or leafy), soup for lunch and an unflavored protein shake mid-morning.

-little dipper are you using a fitbit?

I woke up hungry in the night but down another 200g this morning so it’s worth it!

• posted by for ever the optimist
    on

Hi little dipper, it’s nice to know I am not the only one. I am determined but nervous of failing again. We can do this, just need to focus on the goal. Good luck

• posted by Storm333
    on

Wow leharvey! I’m really impressed with your organisation and planning of food. I think I shall start doing this too to make sure I eat enough fish etc. Brilliant! . I lapsed a bit over the last few days but back today on track and feeling positive. The secret for me is NO ALCOHOL AT ALL or I forget all my plans and goals! Myfitnesspal works better for me too as I too found the plan in the book a bit difficult to follow perfectly. By the way I’m from Hampshire in south of England Deb. J x

• posted by leharvey
    on

I totally agree with no alcohol – it’s just too easy to cave in afterwards!

One thing that’s really helped me over the last few days is scheduling something for after dinner (a walk, yoga, even housework), so I’m not sat on the sofa thinking about having more food! I would normally have a big dinner, then maybe pudding and sometimes another snack a bit later on – all whilst watching the TV. As long as I’m watching TV I feel like eating. Breaking that habit has made it easier to stick to the 800 cals and me feel much more in control.

I’m from Plymouth, UK btw

-Al

• posted by Littledipper
    on

Hi all, I hope your day is going well!

I was VERY hungry after work today (day 3) and I nearly gave in to a snack frenzy! Managed to avoid by having a little cooked chicken to tide me over until dinner (salmon and veg).

Leharvey – yes, using a fitbit which I really like (apparently it likes me too, or so it said on the display this morning!!) I don’t always manage to do all the steps but it helps to figure out what works. I’m sitting down most of the day at work so 20 mins walk at lunchtime makes a big difference.

• posted by Judelles
    on

Hi everyone
    Hope you don’t mind me joining you. I started the diet on Monday. Been managing to stick to the meal plan, except today my team/office were all eating cake, chocs, fizzy pop etc. So I had a marmite drink. Does anyone know if this okay? I know its better than the chocs – so very proud of that. I’m a sugar addict so it was a monumental moment as it turns out I can say No to sugar. ๐Ÿ™‚
    The marmite drink also seemed to help get rid of my headache so I don’t think i’m getting enough salt. I’ve been drinking 3/4L of water a day. Has anyone else had this prob and any hints/tips?
    Really motivated when I read everyones posts, really positive and inspiring. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by leharvey
    on

Hi Judelles -well done for staying away from the sweet things, I know it can be really tough!

Little dipper – me too! I was soooo much hungrier this evening and had to have a cup of soup after my main dinner (chicken and courgetti). Hoping it’s just my body adjusting to the low calories and lack of carbs.

• posted by Littledipper
    on

How is everyone doing?

I’m finding that logging calories is very illuminating for me. In my head I’m sticking to the plan but when I have logged the calories at the end of the day I find they are creeping over the allowance (and sometimes jumping massively past it!).

I know the answer is to plan meals and/or log as I go through the day so I’ll try that next week. I use Weight Loss Resources which is a paid plan but I know there are some great free ones as well.

My usual weigh-in day is Friday and scales showed 1.5lbs lost :-). I’m happy with that in four days and tbh will be happy with that as a weekly average. Hope all is going well.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Well done on the 1.5lb loss Littledipper. Logging cals throughout the day is the best way to go. You will still have the occasional day over, but it gives you greater control. Don’t panic too much about the odd day over, as hopefully you will soon be seeing some days under too.

Hope to see more encouraging progress reported soon. Have a good w/e.

• posted by leharvey
    on

Morning everyone,

I’m one week in and 2kg down (I think 1kg of that is water weight). I’m super happy to be seeing some results already and very motivated to keep going. How’s everyone else doing?

Well done little dipper that’s awesome!

• posted by Island Girl
    on

I also started on 7 Nov and I have lost 2.6kg. Very happy with that. I think a lot of my loss is water too- been going to the loo lots more than usual, even through the night. Looking forward to Week 2.

• posted by Littledipper
    on

Fantastic results Leharvey and Island Girl!

I have to admit I’ve struggled over the weekend but planning to be back on track tomorrow.

Good luck for week 2.

• posted by Storm333
    on

I too have struggled this weekend littledipper, but am back on track having planned this coming week in detail. Feeling inspired by these posts. Here’s to a successful week 2 for us all!

• posted by Siren5859
    on

Hi Guys
    Hope you’re all doing well – sounds like it!
    I am down 2.7kg since start date of 7 Nov so am pleased that I have lost something ๐Ÿ™‚
    I had a tough weekend when my daughter, her hubby, and the 2 year old grandson came to visit so there was lots of opportunity for nibbles & drinkies but I held tight..lots of H2O!
    Had one breakout last evening when I mindfully enjoyed 2 cruskits with butter & peanut butter. I ate it slowly & enjoyed every morsel – so different from previous events when I would have stuffed it in my mouth followed by several more! So Im rather chuffed that I stopped at one ๐Ÿ™‚
    I have started walking on my exercise machine tonight so one step after another ๐Ÿ™‚ towards moving the load!
    Slowly learning to love my body.
    XXX to everyone – chat soon.
    Deb

Please log in or register to post a reply.