Snickers, Frosties and Alpen

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sif
    on

Hi ,

I have a dilemma about the above foods. The book talks about glycemic index ( the speed at which food is metabolised in to sugar). The book encourages you to eat foods which are low gi in combination with good proteins and fats.

Generally, anything under 55 is considered good.

Snickers – 48
    Frosties – 55
    Alpen – 55

The foods above are either on the borderline or below 55. The Low GI table says that Muesli is ok along as it is natural. How can Alpen be ok and how can Frosties be ok if Cornflakes has a GI of 80 and must be avoided. On a separate note , I haven’t eaten Cornflakes in about 5 years.

Thoughts?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Sif – Welcome to the BSD forum, hope you will find it useful, we all try to be welcoming, inclusive and friendly, offering sound advice to the best of our ability.

I’m guessing from the foods listed, you are doing the BSD for weight loss rather than because of blood sugar issues. However sorry, but to be completely honest you need to ignore the whole GI thing and just look at the carb content and on the BSD ALL of those foods mentioned are a complete No, No, with the possible exception of VERY small quantities of Alpen.

On the BSD Fast 800 you need to keep carb intake low – most of us aim for a daily 50g carbs or lower – as well as controlling the calories. So with a Snicker Bar at 245 calories and 26g carbs, you can see that this would make a huge dent in a normal BSD daily allowance, plus it is chock full of those best avoided refined carbs. A 30g serving of Frosties is much lower in cals at 112, but still a whopping 26g in carbs with most of them from refined sugar – Alpen fairs a little better at 112.5 cals and 17.1g carbs in a 30g portion, but this is still high if you are trying to keep the carbs low.

Hope this helps a little. Shout out if you need further assistance and I’m sure someone will respond or use the search box in the top right of the page to look for a particular topic. Best of luck getting to grips with the BSD way of thinking, it can take a bit of getting used to!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

SunnyB is right, this diet is based not on GI but percentage carbs and in particular white starchy carbs like rice, pasta, cereals, sugar, potatoes, bread and pastries. The Alpen is okay but no more than 20 grams and you would be better to make your own as Alpen is also full of sugar. Snickers are almost 100% trans fat and sugar . Cornflakes are bad as they are 88 grams of carbs per 100 grams, they are also high in salt. Besides raw oats there should be no cereals in your diet. Sorry but this is a diet meant to reduce blood sugar levels so the carbs have to be reduced or avoided.

Please log in or register to post a reply.