Slow Weight loss

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by merseychic
    on

I have always struggled to loose weight and this is my first week on this diet total weight loss 2.2lbs. Disappointed as everyone else seems to loose more. I only have 13lb to loose. I am 53 not pre diabetic.

I am following recipes out of the book, tracking what I eat in my fitness journal, walking when its not rainig for about anhour at lunch am drking 2l of water a day. I have used slimfast 4 times this week but wonder if despite the ow calorie count its too high in carbs. I have to take Movicol but my gp says this shouldnt stop me loosing weight. Am I expecting to much or am I doing something wrong?

• posted by Motherofthebride
    on

I share your disappointment! First week now completed and my total loss is only 3lbs – which I lost after the first two days so I presume this is mostly water loss. I’ve been counting every calorie obsessively and have kept to the 800 limit. I’ve been using real food but during the week have included 3 weet bixes, 2 slices of wholemeal bread and 75g boiled white rice so I think I can’t have reduced my carbs enough. For the second week, it’ll be yoghurt and berries every day for breakfast. I think I expected too much at the beginning but I’m staying motivated – I’m not going to weigh myself again until the end of my second week!

• posted by Nessie
    on

My weight loss also does not seem to be fast, or as high as others. I am in week 5, and averaging just over 1kg/week, which compared to others, is low. I definitely will not be reaching the 15+kg suggested in the book, but I will persist. I feel I will need to do a second round of this diet, to get closer to goal weight.

• posted by bernie
    on

Hi Merseychic – not sure about the carbs in the shakes but try to remember that we are all different and also in general the more overweight you are the quicker you lose, initially anyway. Hope your next week goes a little better ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Busybee
    on

Hi Merseychic. Not really relevant, but are you a scouser? I am a Wirralchic from over the water!
    B

• posted by Janet1973
    on

The figures in the book are often averages so there will be people who lost a lot and others not so much. So its not just you Nessie! But still a kilo a week is better than most other diets so be chuffed!

• posted by Enzo
    on

If you are massively increasing your exercise you will be increasing your muscle mass , which weighs more than fat, which is wht your scales may show no loss ๐Ÿ™ BUT increased muscle mass will help you burn calories this coming week ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Merseychic
    I’m even slower. On day 13, have lost 4 lb in total, been sticking to calories, no grains, walking 1000s of steps a day.
    But I feel a lot better and sleeping a lot better so I’m keeping going. Anyway it’s not hard to do.
    Good luck
    Penny

• posted by Shrinkydinkyman
    on

Enzo. What are you talking about? How can muscle weigh more than fat? A pound is a pound be it feathers or lead. Muscle does not weigh more than fat, any more than lead weighs more than feathers.
    A pound is a pound is a pound. Where the misunderstanding often comes in is that muscle is much more dense than fat, so that, by volume, it seems to weigh more. That is, a pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat.

• posted by Sparkletutu
    on

Am I missing something? Have I mis-read the book? I thought bread, rice and cereal (and pasta) were big no-no’s for the 8 week plan? If you’re still eating that, surely weight-loss will be slower?

I also have had a small weight loss in comparison to others but bernie is correct in that the more weight we have to lose, the bigger the weight loss will be. I only have 1.5 stone to lose so I’m not expecting big losses, I’ll be pleased with anything really.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Agree with Shrinkydinkyman about the pound for pound thing, its why inch loss is as important as weight loss. Muscle weighs more than fat is another one of those urban myths that makes no sense when you take it apart.

• posted by malkay
    on

Mine too seems very slow. I had lost about 6lbs in nearly 3 weeks, and was really pleased. However, Last night we had an Indian takeaway. I thought I had chosen wisely, had a small portion, and had no carbs with it. This morning, I seem to have put 4lb back on. Also, I have lost nothing, not 1 millimetre from my waist, which is the whole point isn’t it? I only have about 1.5 stones to lose, but it is all around my waist. However, I do feel better, not as many sugar crashes, so will get back on the wagon today, and persevere. Good luck, and stay positive.

• posted by lawnmower29
    on

I have just finished reading the book and I think that you need to follow the plan for meals, which excludes bread/pasta/ potatoes/white rice because they are ‘easily digestible’ – ? so maybe that’s not helped. Also the activity needs to be going on at the same time and building muscle through High Intensity Training – and that helps to raise metabolism….?? starting soon, just doing shopping list and clearing out!

• posted by Pat.Unlimited
    on

mersehchic, there is nothing wrong with your level of weight loss. If you only have 13lb to lose you can’t possibly lose it at the rate of a lot of the examples here and in the book. I, for example, need to lose at least 50lb just to have a BMI of under 30, which still makes me heavily overweight, just not technically obese. I think you need to be realistic about expectations so that you’re not disappointed.

Enzo, I know what you’re trying to say: muscle mass is more dense than fat, so 1lb muscle takes up much less space on your body than 1lb of fat. However, after just a week no-one – not even professional body-builders – gain huge volumes of muscle. In fact, on 800 calories a day it’s impossible to gain any at all, although you might be able to tone up a bit. To really gain muscle you need to eat MORE food, not less. It takes a lot of work to gain muscle, but is a very satisfying thing to do as a long term goal.

And yes, I agree with all those who appreciate that eating too many starchy carbs is going to sabotage this particular plan completely. I’m planning to stick to green veg, salad, berries and apples for my carbs.

• posted by Shrinkydinkyman
    on

Malkay I don’t know what you chose to eat for your Indian takeaway, but it is well know that food served in English Indian restaurants is not what most Indian people would regard as a true represention of their diet. English Indian restaurants cater mainly for English people with a sweet palette.
    So they add losts of sugar to the sauce’s to make them taste good!
    I personally will be staying away from all takeaways untill I have achieved my goals.
    And if that takes longer than eight weeks, then so be it!
    But even after I have reached my goals and proved I can maintain them, takeaway meals will be few and far between! I do not won’t to undo all this good work. I’m fact I will start cooking my own Indian meals using a book called “The Curry Secret” which was bought as a present to me years ago but never tried.
    And I trained as a chef ffs! I guess we just have got lazy in this world of plenty!
    Keep up the good work chaps it is very inspiring to read of other’s success.

• posted by malkay
    on

Thanks for the reminder, Shrinkydinkyman. I knew I was on dodgy ground, but wanted to join in with the rest of the family. I didn’t know about the sugar, though. I’ll steer clear next time!

• posted by carbcraver
    on

I am another disappointed( so far) dieter. I have several stone to lose but have still lost a kilo in my first week. I am finding the going tough at the moment and was hoping to experience the motivational effect of a really significant weight loss, even it was mainly water. I have kept to the diet, with the exception of 1 boiled sweet when a sugar craving became just too much for me !!

I have been reading this site for support and encouragement so thank you to all of you who post

• posted by Sean
    on

i was 133 kg at the start of diet (feb 1) to date ive lost 9 kg and really happy the way the diet is going was drinking too much water wich slowed my weight loss down but adjusted that and it worked

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Sparkle
    I agree with you. Those carbs spike blood sugar and lead to fat. I’m not eating any of them in the 8 weeks. Only carbs is in veg, beans, a bit of non tropical fruit.
    Never the less I have only lost 5 lb in 14 days. My sister, who has a lot more to lose, hadn’t lost anything at all. We ve both reduced our waists though by a few inches.
    I’m happy to be feeling better and sleeping better and it’s easy.
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Janet
    Hmm but it is true for volume. Though I don’t think many of us are now so bulging with muscle that we won’t lose weight!
    Penny

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I doubt that too Penny! But any increase in muscle will actually do our weight loss good as it is muscle that speeds up our metabolism.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Janet
    That’s true!
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi carb craver
    It’s difficult for us slow losers with all the fast losers around. I try to think of when I went to weight watchers, a diet I found difficult and lost less on! It’s a more helpful comparison for me.
    Have you tried measuring your waist? Mine has gone down 2.5″ and my sisters went down 3″ and she hadn’t lost any weight at all. It’s worth a try.
    I think if we keep on in the end we have to lose on these calories.
    I’m feeling a lot perkier and sleeping better. Those two things alone make it worthwhile.
    I don’t understand why you’re having sugar craving- that’s a sign of a BG spike having happened. I’m not having any carbs at all except what’s in beans and veg and the occasional bit of non tropical fruit. Are you having some carbs? I know some people are. If so it might be worth cutting them out entirely for a while.
    Good luck
    Penny

• posted by Cazzowary
    on

Hi everyone

I’m also in the slow weight loss club- I started 6 weeks ago today and so far have lost only 7 kilos so it will be a miracle if I lose 10 kilos by the end of the eighth week (in the past two weeks I’ve lost 0.1 kilos *sad face*). I also have over 50 kilos (110 pounds) to lose (I’m 5’10”) so according to some I should have lost far more but it just ain’t moving! Can’t make any suggestions to get us in the ‘fast’ fast club but just wanted to let you know it can happen to anyone as everyone’s body reacts differently to dieting! Mine just doesn’t like it.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Cazzoeary
    That must be frustrating!
    I’ve just been rereading the book. On the 4 week review michael says’ you will have lost a lot of weight’ He never mentions slow losers as far as I can see. I don’t understand it at all when you think of all the calories we haven’t eaten! And I’m doing 1000s of steps.
    I hope you’re feeling other benefits
    All we can do is keep on keeping on!
    Penny

• posted by Cazzowary
    on

Hi Penny

I know! It is so frustrating as all those calories I haven’t eaten have to be doing something – by my calculation I should have been losing 3 pounds a week! (approx 1400 calorie deficit everyday!) especially given I’m sticking to low carbs and walking about 8-9000 steps. I’ll see it out to the end of the 8 weeks and then think about doing a ketogenic diet on higher calories or 5:2 because one way or another this fat has got to go!

Good luck and hope you’re feeling other benefits

Cazzie

• posted by GrumptoGlam
    on

Relieved to see other slow losers on this forum… I’m a little worried that my body has gone into a panic/starvation mode of some sort. I lost 6lb in the first week, I’m end of week 3 and not a single ounce more has come off. I am so surprised as at 5ft 10 with 3 stone to loose I was really hoping for a stone off in 4 -5 weeks which doesn’t look do able now. I haven’t touched carbs and I’m varying my meal choices day to day. Fingers crossed I get a sudden drop over the next few weeks once my body knows IM THE ONE in charge and gives in! Lol. On the plus side, I do look thinner in the face, I feel a hell of a lot Brighter and my husband says I look younger. So if nothing else, this alone is fab! Good luck to you all, please do update us if you have some success soon! I’m sure it will happen soon xx

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Keep at it people ! Weight watcher always say that 2 ils a week is a good weight loss and everyone is an individual.
    Cazzoeary 7kg over 6 weeks works out at 2.333 Kg per fortnight. Do that again over the next 2 weeks and your loss, if it stays the same will be 9.3 Kg. Thats not that bad from a target of 10Kg surely ?

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi GrumptoGlam
    Have you measured your waist? It’s datusfying if it goes down even half an inch!
    down 1/2 a lb this morning. – it’s something!
    Penny

• posted by Cazzowary
    on

Hi Bill1954- it wouldn’t be so bad if my target was 10kg but my target was the 15-20kg that are so often referenced in the book as the amounts lost (and I’m 125 kg/275 lbs to start with)- I’m happy to have lost weight but think the numbers in the book raise unrealistic expectations for some people- and because I’m so much fatter to start with, the slow-going is painful to me. Thank you though for your positive outlook – something lost if better than something gained in this situation ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Squidgy
    on

Hi All – I’m pleased too to hear of slow losers as I plateaued for around 7 days between midweek 2 and midweek 3, and lost only 1lb, despite religiously sticking to the calories etc. I too re-read the book. I decided it may be because I’m now within a stone of my target weight, and that stone has been around for at least 20 years!

I also upped my water intake again, and increased my exercise a bit more (walked more and went to a Zumba class), and finally it started coming down again.

But even when my weight wasn’t changing much, I definitely feel thinner, especially around my middle but also my thighs and I can see my face changing shape (down to the last double chin!) and I managed to get into some of my size 12 trousers for the first time in years!

One thing I did at the beginning of week 1 was cut a length of ribbon the exact size of my waist and now I can see easily how much I’ve lost (about 2-3 inches). Roll on week 4!

• posted by merseychic
    on

Well weighed in the day after and had lost 3.4lbs so was satified by my calculations that is what I was expecting. 9 days in loss is 4.8 in total. With regard to the WW comment that is considered a slow loss and Michael’s book is about fast loss. The mention of panic starvation mode again is debunked a a myth by Michael as the studies he quotes show this occurring at a very low level of calorie intake. For those that still believe in the starvation mode thing I watch Bear Grills the Island and they dropped shed loads of weight through not eating not one of them maintained as they were in starvation mode.

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi, I am just at the end of week 2 and need to loose 25kg. I saw this forum at the weekend and it reflected how I felt at the time – it seemed to be the same rate of loss for the first 10 days as when I tried the 5:2.
    I did some reading on the website and noted that Michael actually said that the expected weight loss would be between 10-20% over the 8 weeks, depending on where you start.
    To help reset my expectations, I calculated what 10% loss would be in kg (or lbs) would be over the 8 weeks, then divided it into expected weekly weight loss chunks. To help visualise it, I plotted a graph (you can do it on manually on paper or electronically) of weeks (y axis) and weight (x axis). The plot has one line for the planned rate and another for the actual measurements. I discovered that I was about on target for week 1 and ahead of target for week 2. I now feel better about progress! I also added the 20% weight loss to the chart expected rate just to see how that looked. I am currently in the middle of the two.
    I thought I would pass it on as It may help others with motivation! I also have noticed that the weight appears to drop in a step fashion, not a constant daily amount which is party why I only record on the chart weekly as you loose the days where it is a flat line.

• posted by Cazzowary
    on

I’m glad that’s working for you orchid and I hope your weight loss stays linear ๐Ÿ™‚ as you move through the 8 weeks. I’m in the last 12 days and 10% at this stage would be marvellous- at day 44 I’ve lost 7.3 kilos which is 5.8% (10% would be 12.5 kgs, 20% would be 25 kgs) and very non-linear- between weeks 4 and 5 I lost 0.1 kgs which kinda broke my heart. I also started a spreadsheet with predicted weight loss and actual weight loss next to each day which I guess is why I’m also disheartened. The only thing I’m holding on to is the Whoosh theory of weight loss whereby a whole bunch of weight disappears overnight. As back-up and to keep me going to the end of week 8 is also the fact that weight can vary by a couple of kilos due to water/food in the stomach etc.

• posted by TraceyH31
    on

Hi don’t be despondent any weight loss is positive. I am very similar to yourself. I’m 51, not prediabetic and have 16lbs to lose. I’ve lost 7 in the last 4 weeks but my waist measurement is coming down and my stomach is flatter. I am now 10st 13lbs so have reached a target of being under 11st, have lost my first half stone and my remaining weightloss is now in single figures – only 9lbs to go. I’ve just started week 5 so my progress is also slow, but it is still progress. My next target is to lose another 1lb so that will be 8lbs ie 5% of my total body weight lost and I’m also half way to my total weight loss.

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Cazzowary,
    Thanks for the information. I am expecting it to plateau at some point which is why I am glad I am a little bit ahead just now. I was planning on ramping up the walking at that point – looks like I may need that weeks 4 and 5 if your experience is anything to go by.
    What I did do after week one was to look very carefully at the carb:protein:fat ratio of the calories from each day and I noticed that in week one, the meal replacement I was using for two of the meals (the other two were ‘normal’) was high in carbs, meaning my carb intake was 60% of the total calories. The following week I changed that and the carbs are down to about the same as the protein. I am vegetarian so getting extra protein without the carbs can be a challenge, so I have gone for an oat-based replacement drink which has worked ok. Next week I am aiming for ‘normal’ food every day…. lots of soup!
    Good luck with the final weeks.

• posted by charliebee38
    on

Hi all,

I’m just on day 2 at the moment but ‘warmed up’ by dropping to 1,000 then 900, for about a week and lost 2lbs. I’m T2 and diagnosed after birth of first child 5 years ago.

I know that most have you have said that your weight loss hasn’t been great, but what have your BS’s read as? (for those with diabetes) Mine are up and down (from 17 down to 5.2), but I’m getting alot more lower readings than before so that’s encouraging me – I’m hoping this diet is going to show me what foods my body reacts badly / well to.

Plus to back up some of the other comments I think you do have to cut out pasta/bread/alcohol etc for the 8 weeks and also watch the tinned stuff (even lentils etc) as they add sugar in as preservatives. Then after the 8 weeks move on the 5:2 diet where you can introduce things back in. Like Wine…. ๐Ÿ˜€

Good luck and keep going!
    Charlie

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Orchid
    What a great idea!
    Thanks
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Charlie
    Thanks for that tip about tinned stuff. I suppose they have to write it on the contents? I ll look out for it.
    After the 8 weeks I’m going to do the ‘Mediterranean diet’ as outlined in the book. I suppose either that or the 5:2 will keep us on track.
    Good luck
    Penny

• posted by Spirit
    on

Morning campers!

It’s good to read everyone’s experiences. I’m on week 2 now. in week 1 I lost 8lbs (I’m not diabetic by the way). this week, well, sorry fif TMI, but I’m sure I’d lose half a stone if only I could got to the loo!

I’ve had to cut out eggs for now as they normally bind me up. the last 2 nights I’ve taken some colon cleanse tabs. they normally work overnight, but at the time of writing they haven’t! Last night I had some left over roast beef with a plateful of Brussels sprouts. Still nothing. so this morning I’ve drained a tin of prunes – of the juice they come in and rinsed them with plain water to remove any residue of juice. I’ve had about half a tin.

Sits waiting patiently…….

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Spirit, are you drinking lots of water ?Michael recommends at least 3 litres per day to help stop constipation.

• posted by Spirit
    on

Morning Bill,

I thought I was, but maybe not. I don’t think I have anything like 3 litres.

• posted by PTman
    on

Morning Spirit. The advice about plenty of water is good, though I find it difficult because I don’t like straight water much. Persist though its worth it. You might also try one or both of the following. I had some problems with haemorrhoids recently and was advised to take linseeds. They are quite cheap and I add a dessertspoonful to my breakfast each morning and it helps a lot. Since watching the last series of Trust Me I’m a Doctor, I’m also adding 20ml of olive oil to my breakfast. I have natural yoghurt with fruit, nuts and seeds (usually 100gms of yoghurt, which is a bit less than in the book). The oil and seeds mix in easily (do it first before adding the fruit) and has no taste at all

• posted by Spirit
    on

thanks ptman, i’ll try that. I bought a huge pack of spring water from Costco last week, just looked ant they are 500ml each bottle, I guess I currently have 1- 1.5 of those a day plus the occasional cup of ‘tea’ made with half a lemon and lime. Will increase that.

i’ll also try the linseeds and olive oil too

many thanks

• posted by GrumptoGlam
    on

Having become a little jaded over the last few days, I logged on to this forum this morning to find some fab ideas and support waiting for me so thank you all. Its has spurred me on! The scales havent gone down since the 1st week drop of 6lbs but measurements have. To Penny (Pmshrink) I have lost 1.5 inches so cant complain! A friend (retired Diabetes Nurse) tells me that this is usually a sign the fat could be coming off my internal organs which is great. Im also going to cut a piece of string to fit my waist as ‘Squidgy’ mentioned, so I have something visual for when the scales dont motivate me.

Thanks ‘Orchid’ for the chart plotting idea… again a visual aid for when I feel de motivated. I guess we are only organic matter, we cant expect there to be no wobble to our weightloss line :0)

and yes ‘Merseychic’ you are right, Michael does debunk the starvation mode myth, but when you’re eating less than half the cals you usually eat and there’s no loss, you start to worry your body isn’t on your side… getting as impatient as I have been, I just felt my body must be in a state of war with itself. I will also now remember good old Bear Gryls on his island …its impossible not to loose weight on 800cals a day so I know at some point in the near future that scale needle WILL move and I shouldn’t focus so much on it. I think for me, a weekly weigh in would be best.
    Onwards and upwards… strike that… DOWNwards! :0)

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Mother of the bride
    I’ve lost even less – 5 lbs in 15 days!
    But I’m not complaining as feel so much better.
    Re yogurt- michael says all dairy to be full fat. So hard to get my head around that after all these years. Also good to add nuts or seeds for fat and nutrients.
    Good luck
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Mother of the bride

Re yogurt- michael says all dairy to be full fat. So hard to get my head around that after all these years. Also good to add nuts or seeds for fat and nutrients.
    Good luck
    Penny

• posted by Spirit
    on

Hello Penny.

thanks for the link. I don’t have a lot of dairy, so will increase my fluid intake more.

Many thanks

• posted by Motherofthebride
    on

Great advice from people – I’ve stuck to the plan during my second week and decided not to weigh myself every day but wait until the end of my week 2 on Saturday. I’m hoping to have had a’whoosh effect’ (read some interesting research on this) as mentioned earlier in this thread by Cassowary. Fingers crossed….

Please log in or register to post a reply.