Slimmish but on problematic medication. Advice please

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Molly D
    on

Hi everybody,

My hbac1 level fluctuates between well into normal range and sometimes, more often recently, into prediabetic range, wavering around borderline 42/43. My doctor says I’m borderline prediabetic because of being on long term steroids. I hope to be able to perhaps reduce these over periods during the year, but unfortunately I’m stuck on them. Is anybody else in this situation?

I’m wondering therefore if the BSD can impact or reduce the effect of the steroids? My bmi is 22 (having lost 2 stone over the last year – the recent hbac1 reading of 43 was after I’d lost weight unfortunately), so whilst not massive, I have got a bit of margin for some weight loss, and it is indeed my tummy that takes on weight. My waist could definitely afford to be slimmer at 31.5 inches dead on. My diet is relatively good, although wine & carbs did definitely creep back up over the autumn after getting into the habit of wine on holiday!, and for sure I didn’t restrict myself much over Christmas.

Anyhow, to avoid rambling on, I would like to see if I can reverse the current steroid trend into prediabetes, as am worried about the progression and would like to halt it. Am concerned about too much weight loss with the fast 800, (also migraines), so wonder whether the bsd 5:2, or simply the Mediterranean diet are sufficient to reverse things? As it seems there is much evidence of the effectiveness of the 2 month 800?

Any advice welcome. Not sure if there is much research into the diabetes caused by long term steroid use?

Please log in or register to post a reply.