Skinny Chilli recipe from the book

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by don pedro
    on

Warning for all following recipes from the book

First heard dr Mosley on BBC2. Bought the book and started the diet. Going very well, already seeing results. Using only recipes from the book – so far all of them worked like a charm and produced delicious and satisfying meals

Up until tonight. Having very high expectations I spent significant amount of time shopping for ingredients and preparing ‘skinny chilli’ recipe (page 231). All was good, amazing flavours all around the kitchen made a promise of a great meal. Until the last moment, the chilli was flawless. Guided by the book, I tossed 75g of chocolate in my perfect chilli and mixed it in – just like the book says. The result – a total disaster. Instead of a delicious chilli Inedible disgusting chocolatey goo. All of this after 1 hour preparation and 3 hours of waiting for it to come out of the oven.

Only later I started reading other chilli recipes on the net and found out that you are supposed to put just a small chunk of chocolate, to balance the acidity of tomatoes. The amount that recipe makes you add is more than 10 times higher.

This must be a mistake and I am sure it will be rectified in later editions. However, as for now, sitting here hungry and very cross as up to the very last moment, I had an excellent delicious dish to enjoy and was left with nothing.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

So sorry for your loss don pedro ๐Ÿ™

• posted by Elvis Jones
    on

I use my own chilli recipe, i’ve used it for years and for this the only changes i’ve made are removing baby potatos and replacing honey with a low cal sweetner.

I’ll glady share if you want ?

Oh and i use a slow cooker ( cooked for 12 hrs, i made a batch last night that works out at 346 cal per portion )

• posted by Nuthatch22
    on

Try this……Google Bruno Loubet’s bean and vegetable chilli. I saw Raymond Blanc make this on the telly then found the recipe. It’s THE best vegetable chilli recipe EVER! you wouldn’t guess there’s no meat in it, to reduce the sugar content maybe omit the brown and Worcester sauce. But the little bit of chocolate is essential. I don’t do the rice with it . it’s packed with veg, it seems like a lot of ingredients but it’s not really but so easy. I do the veg in a small food chopper to make them really finely chopped so the texture is similar to mince. Trust me, give it a try!

• posted by don pedro
    on

Thanks a lot, will give it a try. Elvis Jones, pls share your recipe as well if you can ๐Ÿ™‚ I do have a slow cooker and use it frequently. It’s great!

• posted by Kitystuff
    on

Can’t find Elvis’s chilli recipe. Would love to try it so please share. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Cecily2017
    on

Don Pedro my experience of this recipe is exactly the sane as yours! I have been very pleased with the diet and tge recipes, now almost ending week2 with 10lbs weight loss so far. All going well until tonight – as i tyoe i am feeling decidedly nauseous – the skinny chilli smelt and tasted great UNTIL I stupidly followed the final part of the recipe and added the chocolate. My husband and i had to eat it as it was our supper but it was revolting and sadly i am going to throw the remaining 6 portions away – a waste of time and money as well as being dusappointing. Think i shall be losing more weight as i am now completely off all food ….

• posted by Falldown7times
    on

I enjoyed mine! It was more chocolate-y than I was expecting. The yoghurt off-set that though. I’m prepared to believe it should be a bit less chocolate, but I will make again.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

I made this a few months ago but didn’t have any chocolate – glad I didn’t now!
    There is another chilli recipe in the 8 week BSD recipe book that I’ve made a few times. Basically you make a Bolognaise sauce and then add extra ingredients for the chilli. So when I make it I make a double quantity and use 1/2 for Bolognaise and 1/2 for chilli. I don’t Think there’s chocolate in that recipe, or if there is I haven’t added it and it tastes fine without it.

Please log in or register to post a reply.