Simpler foods for a simple man: a plea…

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Anon Pilot
    on

Hi, I’m new to this, but among the various hopeful voices declaring possible salvation from Type 2 Diabetes I have ended up here. I’ve read the book and am raring to go… BUT… the recipes at the back…?… oh my goodness! I’m sorry but they are FAR too complicated and fussy for me, and it makes no sense to me at all that one would bake or smash up nuts and fruit, thus making them digest faster, which is worse isn’t it, from the glycemic point of view???

So far, I’ve made myself some simple muesli, adding flaked almonds, sunflower seeds and cinnamon to a plain organic muesli base as per Rick Gallop. Also, I had sardines on a slice of heavy sourdough rye bread, delicious.

I’m 56, was 20’4 at my worst but am now 19’9, losing 3lbs in 3 days, and have been indulging myself in a sedentary lifestyle for, it now seems, far too long. I’ve just been told this last Monday the 15th January that I have type 2 Diabetes. I’ve started to use, almost for the first time, my cross-trainer and have done twice daily 16 minute sessions every day this week. As a result of the exercise, the weight loss, and the better food choices, I am feeling really a lot better.

Dr Michael Mosley needs to be knighted in my opinion. I suspect that I will never be able to thank him enough.

• posted by mountainman
    on

Hi,

Agree with you that the recipes are complicated. I think that there’s a reason behind this. With a low calorie diet it’s important that a good range of vitamins and nutrients is achieved. Hence each recipe tends to have quite a lot of ingredients. It would be ideal to have the whole family on the same diet so that half tins don’t get used all the time. Alternatively, more recipes that can be frozen (that would be the solution for the chilli / curry recipes).

I’m just starting as well and my plan is to do some mass preparations (eg … toasting a packet of pine nuts) then keep them in an airtight storage jar so that they’re re ready for next time.

The mashing / blending of ingredients described is unlikely to be any different from the normal chewing process in terms of GI. The problem with modern processing is that flours / grains are processed using precision steel rollers which gives a far finer flour / product. Far easier to use in baking as it’s much more consistent and gives a finer and lighter product (bread or cake) … but GI is significantly raised with this processing.

Having been diabetic for 14 years I feel that this is my last chance. Just finished day 1 and I don’t feel too hungary so I’m pretty optimistic.

A knighthood … how about a Nobel prize? After all … one was awarded for the research into stomach ulcers … Diabetes is a far bigger issue.

Cheers,
    Martin

• posted by Aliba
    on

It gets easier gents…..I’ve learnt to adapt the recipes for myself…stir fry with lots of green veg, some protein (chicken, turkey and fish) sometimes a couple of spoonfuls of brown rice spices, chilli, couple of tblespoons of coconut milk, fish or soy sauce or a colourful salad with olive oil, mustard and vinegar dressing, mushroom omelettes and salad or veg, eggs or full fat Greek yoghurt or cottage cheese with seeds and frozen berries for breakfast.
    A repertoire of easy things that are tasty, varied, give optimum nutrition and don’t leave you feeling deprived…then things from the book when I have more time.
    Best of luck to you both…..it really does work even for those of us who have struggled for years with diabetes and weight gain!

• posted by zebbie
    on

The chicken with green lentils in the book is easy and really tasty. I omitted the fennel as didn’t fancy it. It’s quick to cook too. We’ve had this twice now and enjoyed it both times. Second time I cooked some very dark cabbage and served it on that.

• posted by Anon Pilot
    on

Thanks for the suggestions. They sound simple and helpful, I will be giving them a go. After 5 days have lost 5lbs, as advertised so to speak. With the regular exercise as well (2 x 16m on my cross trainer) I am feeling better than I have for ages.

• posted by Aliba
    on

Congratulations Anon Pilot….that’s a great result. Wish I’d had this diet plan and support from this forum when I was first diagnosed 5 years ago…it’s shock to find out you’re T2. I’ve spent years feeling ashamed and thinking it was my fault but it’s not, none of us caused this to happen…if we did then thin people wouldn’t get it.
    Hope the wait falls off!

Please log in or register to post a reply.