saskatoon1

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by saskatoon1
    on

23 august I have just weigh myself to day as this was day 56 of the 8 week diet. And I am the same weight to the oz. as 7 days ago. I have stuck to the diet to the letter and this is the second time this has happened week 5 and this week. I would like to continue with this diet as it is working BUT as you will know 800 calories a day is tough when you don’t see the scales move. dose any one know why, I keep a food log so I know I am not eating more calories than I think.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Plateaus are normal. I had one in the first 8 weeks and have had many since, the longest lasting 3 weeks. Sometimes making changes to your routine can jolt the body into losing again. Sometimes all you can do is wait it out. How many grams of carbs do you eat a day? What kind of exercise do you do?

• posted by saskatoon1
    on

thanks for your reply. I can understand plateaus on some diets but this seems strange to me when in 7 days I am in deficit of 11200 calories.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

As Esnecca says, plateaus are common and most of us on the BSD have suffered them at one time or another, so understand your frustration. However, it’s not just about calories though, Sakatoon1. It’s also about how those calories are made up, i.e. how may carbs there are in those calories. Plus, your body will need to undergo some adjustment from time to time and this can stall results on the scales, but you may find that you have lost a centimetre or two here or there.

It’s worth reviewing your carb intake, to see if anything is unexpectedly pushing this up. This certainly worked for me when I plateaued – those carbs can hide in the most unexpected places. It’s also important to remember to keep well hydrated, as this too can affect weight loss. Esnecca is also right that shaking things up can kick start things again too. If you keep your carbs very low, upping them slightly for a day might shock your body back into action. Also, make sure you are including enough fat in your menu too.

Finally, we can’t expect weight loss to be consistent and linear, but if you look at the bigger picture, I’m sure you will see that your general trend is down. Stick with it and you will see those scales begin to move in the right direction again for sure. Best of luck to you.

• posted by saskatoon1
    on

thanks. I am probably being picky as I have lost 38 lb in the 8 weeks but today was quit a shock and I was debating whether or not to continue as I have still 28lb to go for my B.M.I. to be in the normal range. BUT if this is normal I will keep going.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wow! Fantastic result!! And given that huge success, why wouldn’t you keep going? It’s absolutely normal for loss to stall occasionally and progress to plateau, so press ahead and you will soon be making in roads into that 28lb.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Saskatoon, I hit two plateaus in my first 8 weeks, the first after only 2 weeks lasted 12 days, followed by a welcome visit from the Whoosh Fairy, and the 2nd at about 5 weeks, which lasted for a week, again followed by a Whoosh Fairy visit. Despair not, just keep on keeping on and it will happen, you’ve done so well, 38lbs in only 8 weeks is phenomenal so it would be a shame to give up now.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Good God, you’re kicking ass, Saskatoon! What a fantastic result. You should be exulting every day, plateau or no plateau. Bodies are weird and they do things on their own timetable, not yours, and the closer you get to goal, the more recalcitrant your body can be about letting go of the remaining weight. So far yours has been fantastically cooperative. Now it’s just taking a breather to adjust to its new reality. It’s not a machine. Calorie deficit is only one part of a complex, ever-shifting system. Just ride it out and you’ll reach your goal faster than you ever dreamed possible a few months ago.

• posted by saskatoon1
    on

thank you Ensecca.i only joined the forum yesterday and I am pleased with the response I will be stinking it out I will post when I start dropping weight again thanks to everyone who responded.

Please log in or register to post a reply.