Salad and Dressings

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by kate_ls
    on

Hi all 😀
    Can any one recommend an easy to make and low cal homemade salad dressing? Im on the second week of the diet, and I am thinking that salad every lunch is a good way to go. Also how many calories/carbs would you say is in an average salad? A good size, containing mixed leaves, cucumber, red onion and red pepper. I have tried to estimate it and think about 30cal, does anyone think that is about right or not? Trying to get back on the saddle after completely falling off the wagon on Saturday night. Feeling determined but disappointed that i mucked it up. One word, Guiness and lots of it 🙁

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Kate_ls
    Well done on getting back on track after you slip. Whilst it’s disappointing for you that it happened, you have refocused and moved on, which is good. I’d have thought an average size salad to be approx. 30 to 40cals, with carbs about 2-3g (this is a guestimate you understand). Lemon juice and sea salt really zings up a salad for pretty much zero cals, but remember that you need fats on this diet, so some olive oil included in a dressing would be a good idea. Or you could use some yogurt thinned down with a flavoured vinegar and some added herbs perhaps.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Kate_is
    I shake up crushed garlic or Dijon mustard with lemon juice and olive oil in a jar. Then sprinkle onto salad as needed. Just shake the jar each time before you use it.
    Balsamic or herb infused vinegars are nice on their own on a salad too. You can make your own herb vinegars by putting a sprig of rosemary in a bottle and covering with vinegar. Leave to infuse on a warm windowsill for a few days then taste.
    Tsatziki or hummus, thinned down with a little water make a nice salad dressing too.

• posted by kate_ls
    on

Hi SunnyB & Cherrianne. Thanks for the advice. Great ideas, will give them a try this week. 😀

• posted by Patsy
    on

Yoghurt with chopped herbs, garlic, mustard, horseradish or black pepper in is quite nice and if you use different flavourings each time, you’ll get a bit of variation.

Youghurt mixed in with mayo or blue cheese or other creamy dressing would make a small spoonful go a bit further without adding many calories.

• posted by neohdiver
    on

My salads generally run around 60 calories (100-150 grams of romaine lettuce, 50 grams of cauliflower, 50 grams of broccoli, 50-80 grams of cucumber or zucchini, and up to 50 grams of pepper). and around 13 gross carbs/7 net. These are pretty large salads (`/1 – 2/3 of a bunch of romaine lettuce.

I typically just use a low calorie dressing, since I like lots of dressing. That adds a few carbs, but I save the calories/fat for places I enjoy it more.

• posted by caronl
    on

Bump

Please log in or register to post a reply.