Ryvita?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Patsy
    on

Is Ryvita OK?

My husband bought some thinking it would be OK, carbs seem high.

Ingredients say (mainly) wholegrain rye, 10% pumpkin seeds and 10 % wholegrain oats, which doesn’t sound too bad.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Too high in carbs for this programme and taste like cardboard. Bin them and scold your husband! (joking about that last bit!)

• posted by Patsy
    on

Thought that might be the case. Shame as I quite like them – as long as they have enough cheese piled on top!

He meant well, and I expect they’re better than white bread.

• posted by Izzypeach
    on

Patsy, forgive your fella for he knows not what he does. Not only is ryvita like hardened concrete but unfortunately, as much as I like them especially the Mediterranean ones with cream cheese, blacks pepper & tomato. I had to bin mine. Oh and just for the laugh, my well intentioned guy bought me a fruit and nut bar (the chocolate Cadbury variety) thinking that I could have it cos it had fruit and nuts in it. Bless him but you know, stupid is as stupid does. LOL! kidding!!!!!!!

• posted by Chongololo
    on

Oh Bless. all the husbands at least mean well 🙂 Bin if you can’t resist, otherwise back of the cupboard for post diet slight carb increase eating? they ARE indeed tasty cardboard, so keep well unopened 😛

• posted by nonnie
    on

In the BSD book, Chapter 6, in the box entitled “The M Plan: What to Eat to Control Your Weight and Your Blood Sugar,” Dr. Mosley states, “Brown rice …. quinoa, bulgar (cracked wheat), whole rye, whole barley, wild rice, and buckwheat” are good alternatives to “the starchy white stuff” which should be avoided. This is on page 70 of the electronic version from my library — don’t know what that would be in the hard copy version.

BTW, I’ve loved reading all the posts on the forums (I’ve been lurking). Started BSD on April 7 thinking I would last a few days and am now in my 5th week. I’ve lost 13.2 lbs!!

• posted by neohdiver
    on

I don’t see anything in Ryvita that is inconsistent with the BSD, as long as you have the calories to spend on them, so let your husband out of the doghouse and enjoy your Ryvita (in quantities that it fit within the calorie cap).

It has 3 ingredients, all of which are expressly listed as acceptable. The diet itself doesn’t have a carb limit, so imposing a carb limit is a personal preference. Even so, 2 slices have a total of 9 carbs – well within the limit most folks here have added to the calorie limit of the diet.

• posted by Izzypeach
    on

Thanks for Checking that neo, I had no idea, as I hadn’t read the label.

• posted by Cicipops
    on

I have Ryvita for lunch with various stuff on top. I slice is around 45 calories. I think it depenfs perhaps on what variety you use. I find them really useful. Certainly much better for you than bread, taste better too, and they are also good for breaking up and adding to soup to help bulk it up. What’s not to like?

Please log in or register to post a reply.