Returning to BSD after a few years

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by slimlady
    on

Back in 2016 my beautiful late wife and I embarked on this diet and we were sceptical but she list 6 stone and I 3 stone. I myself since then was somewhat silly and after losing it took my eye off the ball so to speak Anyway I wanted to reiterate the post from then as I think it offers such a positive outcome if you stick to it. Yes like most diets it takes a lot if determination and sacrifices but it is so worth it. There will also be times when you seem to stop losing weight but we both then actually and counterintuitively had a far bigger meal and for some reason that seems to kick it back in again Anyway here is that post
    In mid May 2016 I was 18 stone 7lbs or 119 kg, just over 50 years old 5 feet 10 and had been overweight for a very long time. A variety of diets came and went and it was always difficult.Like most people I like my food and drink. Then I visited my doctor for a routine 50 plus MOT test for cholesterol, blood sugar, weight, blood pressure etc. Some results were immediately apparent such as blood pressure which was high and cholesterol was 5.8 which was also not acceptable. What scared me the most was the HB1AC returned a reading of 51 and should have been under 42. My doctor was straight to the point and said the result was in the diabetic range type 2 diabetes and with the usual terrible consequences and I would be on meds for life. This really shocked me to the core. Then by chance I heard about Michael Mosleys Blood Sugar Diet and went out and bought it. That night me and my husband read it in full and committed ourselves to going through at least 8 weeks. Not long after we purchased a digital blood sugar testing device, a digital set of scales that measures body fat, water content, muscle content and BMI etc and a good quality exercise bike. My husband,although he didnt have any blood sugar issues did have elevated blood pressure and weighed 16 stone 6lbs. We both stuck rigidly to around 800 calories a day , banished rice, bread and pasta and virtually no alcohol. That was the hardest part of the diet. In the first week alone I lost 9lbs. I started with the bike by just doing 10 minutes then a week later 20 minutes until after two weeks I was routinely on 30 minutes. By mid June I was 16 stone 3. Mid July 15 stone 2. Mid August 14 stone 4. and now after 18 weeks I am 13 stone 6. I used to be in size 22 and now size 12! My husband is currently 13 stone 7. Between us we have lost 8 stone. It was good to throw out all the large size clothes, but now I need a new wardrobe. It is such a good feeling to have people who havent seen me for a while say wow! I have just had some new tests done and my blood pressure is normal, cholesterol normal range but best of all my new HBA1c test came back as 35! I am sleeping so much better and feel great. My personal goal is to lose another half stone or so to get into the healthy BMI range. I started at 34.6 and am now 26. Yes there are times when the weight plateaued but persevere and it starts again. Its important to keep the faith and keep the booze down. This is a lifestyle change and soon we will both change over onto the Mediterranean maintenance diet and continue to regulate our weight. It was without question worth all the hard work and saying no to those temptations. Best still I wont be on meds for life.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi slimlady, great to read of your success. Yes, it is a hard slog but if it was easy we would all be slim and the slimming industry would be poor. It took me many years to find this diet for my diabetes and it has been the best thing I have ever done.

Please log in or register to post a reply.