Retesting cholesterol and blood glucose

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by KatieB
    on

I went for results of my health check last week: blood sugar 6.8 and cholesterol 8.5. My GP was really supportive
    Of this diet and has told me to come back in 2-3 months to be retested. It seems such a long time to wait. Should I go back sooner? A friend told me pharmacy also can test so maybe I should go there?
    I’ve lost 17 pounds in three weeks , 4 stone still to go! Happy with results but anxious about whether it’s having effect on blood levels.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

I would leave it for 3 months KatieB. It sounds liek a HbA1C test and they are best performed at minimum 3 monthly intervals.
    My surgery actually does them at 6 month intervals. Of course, if you are on the right track, your levels should be lower again after 3 months that 1

• posted by Jackie WilsonSaid
    on

KatieB – I think you have to have confidence that the significant weight loss is likely having the desired effect.
    I’m guessing you are already noticing many improvements in body and soul?
    I am also 3 weeks in – just hit the 1 stone mark and my Dr is aware of BSD, but not in favour of measuring fasting blood sugar because of its variability it seems. There are also financial considerations.
    After my prescribed chat with the practice nurse, and sparking her interest in BSD, we agreed a retest after the 8 weeks, rather than their standard of 3 months for HbA1c, on the basis that there should be a notable difference. And if not I’ll have lost a ton of weight and be feeling hugely better anyway.
    I bought a Tanita weighing/body fat machine for more insight into what was happening to my body and it’s doing the support. You could buy a blood sugar testing kit off Amazon – it’s what will inform and motivate you, I guess in terms of monitoring and priorities.

Please log in or register to post a reply.