Restarting Fast 800 using Huel…

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Plant Powered Poll
    on

I started doing Fast 800 at the start of the year and lost half a stone really quickly. I’ve been derailed since though and after a holiday I’ve put on so much weight that apparently my fitbit scales didn’t recognise me, (which was nice.)

I started yesterday and just limited food to 800 cals, but one of the reasons I want to do this with meal replacements is because I’m completely burnt out with the demands of shopping and cooking when all of us have totally different nutritional needs. I’m just sick of thinking about food, and I figured doing this using Huel for 600 of my 800 cals a day massively saves time in thinking, shopping and prep.

My Huel package arrived today and I’ve just tried it; it’s pleasant enough, tastes very sweet but I can definitely live with it – I got a fab starter pack and trial flavour boosts to add to the basic stuff. I’m planning to add 200 cals of fresh veg to this, and to stick to it for a month initially, as I’ve got at least 2 stone to lose. I’m also hoping that this is going to save me a fortune in grocery bills!

Anyone else using meal replacements to do this? Which ones are you using and how are you getting on?

(If anyone wants £5 off a Huel order, I’ve been given a link:)

https://huel.mention-me.com/m/ol/bv4cb-978735111e

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I had never heard of Huel so I checked out the website. It is very high in carbohydrates, 37.5 grams per 100 grams. Since you’re going for 600 calories of it, you’d have half again as many carbs per day. That totals 56.75 plus whatever is in the remaining 200 calories of real food you’re eating. It also uses the artificial sweetener Sucralose which causes an insulin reaction just like real sugar does and has been found to kill the beneficial microorganisms in your digestive tract.

I understand that you’re burned out on cooking. I love to cook and even I get sick to death of it sometimes. Here’s hoping this can work for you, but these particular shakes don’t look BSD-friendly to me and my concern would be that it will trigger carb cravings because of its high oat and sweetener content. I’ll keep my fingers crossed. Good luck!

• posted by Plant Powered Poll
    on

Hi Esnecca,

Thanks for your reply – it’s interesting as I didn’t actually check the carb content, I was so busy looking for a shake replacement that wasn’t full of sugar and this was the only one I could find!

I guess I’ll just see how it goes. I can’t fail to lose weight on 800 cals per day and if I can give myself a couple of weeks’ break from obsessing about food and cooking I might be in a better place to reassess…

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi PPP, when you get tired of those shakes, just cook yourself simple foods — I never made any of the recipes from the book, just roasted simple meats and sautéed good veg with garlic and made quick stews — I tried to keep it simple so I wouldn’t wear myself out and it worked wonderfully.
    I know exactly what you mean about getting tired of thinking about food! The weighing, measuring and obsessing can get tiring BUT once you internalize the ideas and get into a comfortable relationship with the RIGHT foods, it becomes second nature. So don’t let it wear you out!
    Real food is full of really important micro-nutrients and shakes just can’t measure up so don’t stay there too long!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I am not sure about your post Emily as it seems to be promoting a totally different diet plan that has to be bought. Are you advertising this for your own benefit as it has nothing to do with the BSD. If so you should say that in your post.

Please log in or register to post a reply.