Reintroducing Carbs?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by GeeWhizz
    on

I’m just wondering what happens when you start to eat carbs again? For example after the 8 weeks when you go to 5:2 and fancy a burger every so often or whatever it is, or even if you fall off the wagon during the BSD and get a pizza – does it take you back to square one? I’m assuming not as it’s not a keto diet and surely occasional carbs can’t hurt once you’re not addicted to and reliant upon them anymore? If anyone could point me towards some scientific info about this I’d be grateful as I found the books a bit too vague on this front. Thanks!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I think the answer to that will vary with individual circumstances which is probably why it was vague in the book. The result will be different according to which part of the high blood sugar/insulin resistance/pre-diabetic/type 2 diabetic spectrum you personally are on. I think i was probably on the first step there, high blood sugar hence high insulin levels and high levels of fat storage. Now I have lost the weight I needed to I occasionally do have more carby food, although still probably a lot less than I used to, and have no bad effects from it, others have reported high blood sugar readings or gut trouble when they indulge. I think if you try reintroducing some carby foods and get no bad effects yourself then you should be fine, just do it slowly. I don’t think I was ever physically addicted though, I didn’t experience the withdrawal symptoms, and I have no idea what the effect would be on someone who was.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I think that if this diet has been a cure or remission of an illness then whatever made things bad for you in the past will do again in the future. If you are diabetic and it is greatly improved the odd slice of toast would not hurt but it is when they (the carbs) start to creep back in that the problems start. I think I will always eat this way and any carb treat will be just that, a treat.

Please log in or register to post a reply.