Recipes from book or your own plan?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

I’ve been doing the blood sugar diet since 7th January and I’m curious to know if the majority of people on here stick to the recipes and meal plans in the book or if you do your own meal plan sticking to 800 calories. I do my own and wonder if this is why my weight loss isn’t as rapid as expected.
    A typical day for me is Muller yogurt 99 calories in the morning, home made soup or salad at lunchtime, another Muller yoghurt at afternoon tea break and chicken or turkey with mixed vegetables (cauliflower broccoli and carrots) for dinner. Sometimes 2 small crackers with cheese later in the evening. Last week I was also having an apple or pear at some point during the day but have stopped this. I drink water throughout the day with one cup of tea in the morning. I try not to eat between 9pm and 9am.
    Interested to see if others are making their own plan and what they are eating for their 800 calories. Please post an example of a typical day.
    Thanks

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Because I am a vegetarian I simply used the fatsecret app to log what I was eating.
    While the book doesn’t give any recommendations on the ratio of carbs / protein and fat making up the 800 calories most of us have found it best to start with a daily allowance of 50g of carbs and if we find that our weight loss is too slow we reduce that level down to 20g.
    The reason is that carbs cause a rise in insulin levels which in turn encourages our bodies to store water and prevents our body from accessing our fat stores as an alternative fuel source.
    Your list of items eaten suggests that your carbs are too high.

• posted by tyrus123
    on

I can really relate to this 🙂 Would you be so kind to share that App and book that you’re talking about?
    I really need some thoughts about these. just for the courtesy, I wanna share this amazing article that talks about the same thing. bitly.com/OvernightSnack

I just found it to be useful and consider having one. Stay Healthy!

• posted by JGwen
    on

The book is the blood sugar diet, which is the reason that we are all here. – The app is fatsecret.

• posted by Verano
    on

Scottishgal have you checked the carbs in a Muller yogurt? This way of eating is very much a carb restricted way of eating. It’s possible to be relatively low calorie but still high carb. I think you will find that your yogurts are eating a big chunk of your carb allowance. Try a full fat Greek yogurt, fewer carbs, and will make you feel fuller for longer because of the fat. There are lots on the market. Low fat/light tends to be higher sugar.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Scottishgal – think it might just be a case of needing to take a good look at your carb in take – it is surprising where those little devils hideout! On the BSD you learn that not all calories are equal and whilst you might think that as the calories are low the carbs will be too, but unfortunately this is not always the case.

Best to get into the habit of checking the nutritional panels on food, or using an online site to check carb content of the foods you are eating. I have been in maintenance for quite sometime now, but have this week decided to go back to basics, as I want to drop a few more pounds. For the first time, I weighed, measured and records everything I consumer yesterday and to my horror, found that my carb level was around 40g for the day, rather than my preferred 20g for weight loss. The items that tripped me up – prunes, mixed veggies and onions!

I’ve always followed my own menu on the BSD and found that providing I keep the carbs down, weight discard followed. It might take a little trial and error, for you to understand how low you personally need to drop your daily carb intake, to achieve a steady weight loss.

Best wishes to you df71 and hope to see you out and about on other forum threads. Don’t be scared to join any thread you think will suit you, there’ll be a warm welcome for sure.

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

Thank you all for your replies. They are all very helpful. I’ve been trying to keep my carb intake at around 50g per day but looks like I’ll need to lower it a bit more or stick with a slower weight loss. At least now I know how to improve things. I’ve been using carb manager app which counts carbs as well as cals and protein and I find it really easy to use. I don’t like the Greek yoghurts so I think I’ll just finish my Muller stock and then do without yoghurts.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Scottishgal – keep us posted on progress, hopefully by lowering your daily carbs, you will be seeing the results you want more quickly. Will take a look at the carb manager app, as I currently just log long hand into an excel spreadsheet, which had corrupted a couple of times, so I’ve had to build it again. Found myfitnesspal didn’t suit me, so hopefully the carb manager will fit better.

Looking forward to reading about your progress.

• posted by fififo
    on

Hi, being lurking for a while but thought I should reply to this as my experience is similar. I started at the beginning of January and just select my own recipes. I’ve kept my carbs to 50g and track on myfitnesspal. After the first week the weight loss was still OK (1.5 – 2lb) so I tried to bring my carbs down to 30g. Fair to say that level is not right for me and I found my mood became very low. I’m going to stick at 50g and accept a slower pace of weight loss. The joy creating your own recipes is that you are setting yourself up for maintenance. For breakfast I have found a smoothie with banana or oats and small amount of greek yoghurt (in the smoothie so you can’t taste it) or some ham and cheese keeps me going for the 5 hours from breakfast to lunch and a high protein lunch keeps me going the next 5 hours till tea. After tea I don’t eat again till breakfast. Each time I eat, I am hungry and if starving, I change that option for the future. Weekends I’m a bit easier on myself and I am having haggis tonight but only with neeps 🙂

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome fififo – Some of us are naturally slow to lose weight – me included. It’s good that you recognise that lower carb levels are a problem for you and your well being. As you say, better to accept a slower rate of discard.

I would be very cautious about getting the extra carbs from things like bananas and oats though, as these are very carb heavy items and certainly in the case of bananas which are sugary, will almost certainly cause blood sugar spiking and so cause hunger. Finding estra carbs in things like veggies is a better option – spinach, kale, broccoli, cauli etc.

Enjoy your haggis and neeps tonight and keep posting your progress.

• posted by deleted_account
    on

Hi Fififo,
    I also had haggis and neeps, and loved it. As I always do. Why do we only eat it twice a year?!

• posted by fififo
    on

I know. We are the same in our house. Did you remember your poem from school as well. Mine was to a mouse

• posted by deleted_account
    on

I remember learning ‘Fair fa yer honest sonsie face..” all the way through in English classes at school. Had no clue what it was about, we didn’t speak like that in Bearsden!

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

The only part of the poem I can remember is “wee sleekit cooring timorous beastie” lol.. Must have been from the poem to a mouse!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Glad you both enjoyed your haggis and neeps, but think the reason it’s should perhaps remain an occasional meal, is the carb content of the components.

Estimated 16g carbs in 100g of haggis and 9g carb in 100g of neeps. Not sure what portion size you’d have, but a couple of 100g of each would total 50g, which for a lot of folks on the forum, is a whole day’s worth or even two days’ worth of carbs in one meal.

• posted by fififo
    on

sunnyb. Thanks for that. It was burns night yesterday and it is traditional that Scots across the world celebrate with a traditional burns supper of haggis neeps and tatties and learn burns poems by heart hence the reference to the wee beastie.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Completely understood fififo, the comment was not meant as a criticism – as an occasional event there’s no need to change the tradition more than you have, just thought it might be useful note in general, for anyone thinking of including haggis as a regular meal option.

Please log in or register to post a reply.