Re-starting the diet

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by df71
    on

Just re-starting the diet and reviewing a few things, but I have a number of questions.
    1. What is the difference between this and Atkins diet, as Atkins is low Carbs…
    2. I am used to the Red-Day / Green Day diet – I guess this is the Red-Day / Red-Day diet , I eat out a lot when away with work, and therefore I can have salads etc, but when the kids go to Chip shop I was able to restrict to Jacket Potato and Baked Beans. Is there advice on what to substitute when at various restaurants or take-aways (e.g. Chicken Kebab instead of pizza) .

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Welcome df71 – the difference between this and Atkins is fat. Atkins encourages eating a lot of highly fatty foods especially meats. This diet encourages fats but in the form of good oils and fats like avocados, full fat yoghurts (as opposed to the diet style) and milk, nuts, olive oil for dressings or rapeseed oil for cooking. The previously believed ‘bad’ fats are featured in this like, things like full fat cheeses, yoghurts and butter. This is in the belief that having the fat makes you feel and keeps you fuller longer, also these are natural foods unlike processed foods such are ‘low fat’ ‘sugar free’ etc in which you will find either chemicals or other fillers like rice flour. The reason you are allowed, say butter for example, you are also on a calorie restricted diet so you are not able to eat lashings of butter on your bread, secondly, you are not eating the bread or potatoes to put it on so you will be self-limiting the amount you use. Cheese is usually eaten in very small portions like 40g in a Ploughmans and so on. You will not be frying things like bacon, sausages etc and you will be keeping these foods for treats and grilling or maybe cooking a steak in a bit of butter and oil mix. I also cook my scrambled eggs in butter but only about 10g. Your main food sources will be vegetables with the exception of the starchy type. Look on http://www.dietdoctor for a list of high carb and low carb veg – some will be surprising. You will be eating Mediterranean style minus the bread, rice and pasta.

Hope that helps you on your first question.

For the second question, it is best to just keep away from fast food outlets although many do salads or plain chicken. I know that eating out with children can be a nightmare as the type of places they eat are renown for poor food choices. You could take the coating off the chicken or order a burger and throw away the bun. There is nothing wrong with the bean but you will have to say no to the jacket potato. Hopefully, better quality restaurants should be easier but not always. I once ordered a beef casserole with extra salad and NO CHIPS. The waitress brought me a separate plate of chips, just in case I changed my mind!!!!
    Sorry, it is not easy but you will learn.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hello df71 – sunshine girl has very efficiently covered off the comparison between the BSD way of eating and the Atkins. Eating out can be a bit of a minefield, so try to think in terms of a simple protein source – steak or a portion of chicken perhaps) and plenty of veg or salad. Personally I’d avoid the baked beans ,as the sauce tends to be quite sugary, so if you do have them, keep the portion size small.

Hope you will be joining us on the BSD and to see you out and about on other threads on the forum. You’ll receive a warm welcome on any of the threads and there is heaps of knowledge and experience to be drawn upon as well as encouragement and support.

Best wishes to you df71 – hope you achieve your goals.

• posted by Fatty
    on

ME – gotta get back to it – does anyone else think joining the fast 800 would be beneficial??

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hello Fatty – not sure what you mean about ‘joining the fast 800’ but if you mean will following the Fast 800 BSD bring you health benefits, pretty much definitely. If you mean are there benefits of joining the Fast 800 BSD online programme, I can’t comment on whether or not it offers much over and above what can be gained by making good use of the forum and using the books. However, I feel following the Fast 800 in anyway that suits you, can only be a good thing.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi there, as newbies it might be beneficial to buy the new Fast 800 book. Us oldies have been raised on the BSD 8 Week plan and use that as our reference. If you mean the 12 week paid for course, I have only heard of a couple of people who went onto it and as they dont seem to be around now we cant ask them how it was. There is so much support and advice on this forum you might like to give it a go without paying for it.

• posted by Fatty
    on

Hello Sunny B – I am not really new to it – I did the BSD 8 week programme in 2015 and lost in total about 35 Kg – now three years later I have successfully kept the weight fro creeping back – mostly doing IF 16/8 now feel a bit like loosing some more – all the science ays I could loose another 10-15kg – to be at ideal wight – Seeing my endocrinologist tomorrow to see what she thinks – My BSL has been misbehaving again so I will be guided by her – trying to avoid insulin. Was wondering if anyone had found any huge benefit from the 12 week online programme but have observed by reading around the forums that it is pretty much as you suggest – not much that is truly new…. anyway – thanks for the response – have a good time in Turkey ( I think I gathered that you are travelling…) ENJOY.
    Fatty

• posted by Fatty
    on

Hello Sunshine girl – thanks for you thoughts – not new to this rodeo – lost 35Kg a few years ago and have kept it off – just wanna drop few more now…. I certainly found this mob very good for support advice and ideas last time…. will try and get back in here more often – life is busy hey!!!!

Fatty

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Well done on you long term maintenance Fatty. I’m sure you can achieve the extra weight discard. You’ll definitely fine the support here again, so make good use of the forum like before. Best wishes for success on your quest..

Please log in or register to post a reply.