Ratio of fat/protein and Carbs

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Seadog
    on

Hi all,

I’m following the 7 day menu plan that is in the ‘Blood sugar diet’ book, this is so I don’t have to think too much about what to eat, at least for the first 4 weeks of my 12 week plan, so that i establish good eating habits. Can I just check that the ratio is correct for what we all want to achieve ?. I know it’s been put together by a dietitian, but I just wanted to check that I’m following the golden principles for weight loss !

• posted by TaraMaiden
    on

Hi, this is a question that is often asked, and I’m pasting a reply given in another thread..

“I’ve cut and pasted this from the ‘how many carbs’ thread:
    100-150 grams per day: This is a decent maintenance range, and is good for people who exercise a lot.
    50-100 grams per day: This should lead to automatic weight loss, and is a good maintenance range for people who don’t exercise that much.
    20-50 grams per day: With a carb intake this low, you should lose weight quickly without experiencing much hunger. This carb range should put you into ketosis.”

The thing to remember is that, rather like the ‘”How long is a piece of string?” question, there’s no comprehensive and fixed response, because everyone, and every ‘body’ is different.

The fats you need to really cut back on, are the Omega 6 types, and those you need to up, are the omega 3’s.
    This is a good link for more info:

http://www.gbhealthwatch.com/Science-Omega3-Omega6.php

Proteins are pretty much a good source of nourishment, and should be a priority.

Basically, look for a high protein food, with a carbohydrate content that is not too high, the sugars of which should be around a quarter of the carbohydrate content.

to give an example, cottage cheese is higher in protein than it is in carbs, (my tub says 17.6 protein, 4.3 carbs of which 4.3 are sugars.)
    Sounds bad, right? Well, it’s actually not that high, and the Protein trumps the carbs.
    If the numbers were closer together, favouring carbs in amount, then I’d think twice.
    Avoid processed foods, and watch your omega 6 intake.

And if you don’t already know him, look up ‘Butter Bob’ and his initial video titled ‘butter makes your pants fall down’ (they even wrote a song, which is worth listening to !) and in his videos, he actually makes a lot of sense….

Hope all this helps….

Please log in or register to post a reply.