Quinoa instead of oats

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Elleynia
    on

I don’t digest oats well and I’m wondering if I could substitute quinoa. I’m not sure if it would to go with the same weight of quinoa as oats or would that hugely increase carbs?

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Quinoa is about 70% carbohydrate so if you’re trying to limit your carb intake, it wouldn’t be my first choice.

It’s a bit “denser” than oats so you shouldn’t need as much, but I would definitely put it on the “not too often” list.

• posted by Elleynia
    on

Thank you. Is there anything else that would make a better substitute?

• posted by Natalie
    on

I’ve used a small amount of quinoa instead of rice, I actually prefer it but it is still carby so not often. When you have it instead of oats, do you mean for breakfast porridge? I’ve seen packets of quinoa flakes, like rolled oats, but I haven’t tried them and don’t know the nutritional value.

When it was winter here is Oz and I didn’t fancy cold yoghurt, I found myself enjoying soup for breakfast. Especially broccoli and bacon soup!

Please log in or register to post a reply.