Questions about getting started.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Debra46
    on

I just ordered the book, and am trying to mentally prepare myself for the 8 week program. Do most of you follow the diet plan in the book or are you just counting calories? How long does it take to adjust to the low calorie eating? Any tips would be great:)

• posted by Fionafleming
    on

I started a week ago.I looked at the recipes and the foods recommended and just counted calories. Like everyone else i am stunned that i have lost 5.3kg in that week! I am NOT hungry, in fact i have to discipline myself to eat. I am averaging 700 a day, some days under 600. Going into week 2 full of optimism. I weigh everything that goes on my plate, using an app calculate it all. I have a running diary of foods i have eaten. I weigh all the ingredients in a recipe so i have accurate numbers. I have read a lot of the forums so have no doubt it works. Its up to me now. Struggling with a knee ligament so walking is not option for exercising. Dug out a gym ball i had for about 4 years and am using that. I have looked at recipes on here and will be trying them out. I have over 4 stones to lose and i know i can do it on this. Although i have to pinch myself to believe the scales. Found myself breathing in to zip up my jeans (habit). Then realised i didnt need to! They are my fat jeans..but nonetheless they have been tight on me.
    I would say get started asap, and happy eating.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Debra
    I agree with Fiona, just get started as soon as possible, it really does work and won’t be as difficult as you imagine.
    I cook the recipes out of the book for dinner and do my own thing according to the book for breakfast and lunch and lost 4.6kg in my first week. I’m in week 2 now and can already tell I won’t lose as much, but I’m following the advice in the book religiously and I can see I that it has to work. Keep drinking at least 2-3 litres of water a day and don’t be afraid of fats.
    Good luck and let us know how you go.
    Linda

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Debra,
    I started this diet mid January and by week 7 had lost the 2 stones I had hoped to lose. After week 8 I increased my calories and have lost a total of 3 stones, way more than my wildest dreams! I am now bang in the middle of my healthy weight range.

But more than that; my asthma has improved – not just my imagination – I keep peak flow charts and the difference between pre BSD and now is remarkable. My huge steroid dose is reduced as a consequence. My acid reflux has totally disappeared. I have much less arthritic pain. I sleep better. I have more energy.

So Debra why wait? The sooner you start the sooner you will lose weight and start feeling the energy!!

Personally, I used some recipes from the book to guide me, but like many others use familiar recipes while staying within 800 calories and 50g of carbs or less.

Make sure you drink 2 to 3 litres of water a day, eat full fat yoghurt (fat is important on this diet) fage yoghurt or Aldi authentic greek yoghurt are both really good, and make an easy breakfast – just add a few berries and a level teaspoon of milled flaxseed.

If you have any questions just shout up – there are plenty of people to help – and a lot of us ‘veterans’ of the BSD diet who have been there, done that so to speak!

Debra, just do it! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Fiona, look at captainlynne’s over the 16 weeks – she has lost 50 lbs so far! Prof Taylor says it is best not to start a vigorous exercise regime while still on 800 calories, I just try and do as many steps as I can, sometimes it is up to 10000 , I do a few pilates for bad back exercises, that’s all. So don’t beat yourself up especially if you have a knee problem. Your gym ball is just fine! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Fionafleming
    on

Thank you hashimoto. I joke that i dont do 10,000 steps a week never mind a day! But my knee is paining me less this week and i have my first physio on Friday. I do realise that to try to take on too much would sabotage things. Reading all the posts is inspiring as everyone says.Captainlynnes starting statistics are like mine, so it really resonated with me. Week 2 here i come.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Debra
    I’m singing a well worn song here but personally, I never counted the calories. To me the most important thing was getting rid of the simple carbs, I’ve done calorie counting in the past with predictable results.
    My personal advice would be to concentrate on keeping the complex carbs down to 50g or less per day and worry about calories once your body has got used to the massive change in food intake.
    Oh, I lost 2 stone 5 pounds doing it like that, and my sugar readings are consistently in the none to pre diabetic range apart from the odd morning spike that I tend to ignore as it has to be down to the release of glucose from the organs.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Fiona, as you follow this diet you should have less inflammatory markers in your body so hopefully this will help with your knee as well over the weeks. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Fiona. I’ve not done any extra exercise while on the BSD so my results are down to what I’m eating – or rather, not eating! I walk when I can, but prefer to have a reason to do it rather than just for the sake of it. Hopefully we’ll get some better weather soon which may get me walking more.

• posted by Debra46
    on

Thank you everyone and am exited to hear about the progress you are making! I’m wondering if it’s worth starting before my vacation, May 12-20th? I just don’t think I can maintain a 800 calorie diet while I’m away. Are there any suggestions on how to avoid the ” who gives a crap” what I eat until May 20th? I feel myself going into this thinking, giving me an excuse to put whatever I want into my mouth…..hope that makes sense.

And, I’m Canadian, how many pounds are two stones?

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi debra, 1 stone = 14 pounds
    2 stones = 28 pounds

I think you could see the time between now and the end of your vacation as preparation for the diet. Just cut out all the starchy carbs but eat all the other foods. Then when you start the diet properly it will be easier to do.

๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Debra46
    Welcome. I went on holiday immediately before starting this diet 12 weeks ago. I had buffet breakfasts & evening meals for 10 days. I chose as wisely as possible. A cooked breakfast but no bread. Evenings, meat or fish with vegetables or salad. If I really wanted something I had it & enjoyed it. Desserts mostly fruit & cheese.
    It was my husbands birthday & the hotel made a cake which we shared with friends.

I’m Type 2 Diabetic lost 1&1/2 stones so far! Blood sugars improving.

During the day we walked a lot. Not very hungry as the breakfasts were filling. Some wine or beer & a lot of water.
    Had a great time then & look forward to Canada in June. My big birthday treat

16 oz = 1lb & 14lb = 1 stone. 2 stones = 28lbs
    Enjoy your hols & come back ready

Please log in or register to post a reply.