Question about illness and diet

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by CocoPhoenix
    on

Hi, I’m interested in trying The 8-week Blood Sugar Diet. I bought the book yesterday after flipping through the one-serving recipes (I’m just cooking for myself so they’re great!). The book is very informative. I was all hopeful until I got to the page about those who shouldn’t do the diet. I have schizophrenia. I’m curious about how the diet would effect my condition. Why is the author against it? Is the diet known to make schizophrenics worse? If this is the case then maybe I could do a modified version such as making one of the recipes each day. (I won’t try anything stupid.)

My condition is fairly stable…I’m high functioning. However, I’m taking six meds for an assortment of things. One of them is Jardiance. I don’t want to have to take more pills. Stomach fat is a big problem for me. I’ve lost 20 lbs since my diagnosis a few months ago (I got rid of most junk food) but I’ve reached a plateau. I’m going to consult my doctor and my psychiatrist to get their opinions.

Any info would help. Thanks!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hi CocoPhoenix, lovely to read your positives on the “Positives” thread. None of us on here are medically qualified. I have not read the book,so don’t know whether it is a question of just saying “no” to some following the BSD, full stop, or just a disclaimer because of possible interaction with meds. 20 lbs is a significant amount already! and presumably ditching the junk food is beneficial all round . I think you’re right to check with your medical team; and make sure you can forge ahead!

Please log in or register to post a reply.