Query re Hummus 3 ways recipe

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by PescoVeggieDownUnder
    on

Hi,

The Hummus 3 ways recipe on pp. 204-205 does not suggest what to serve it with. Assuming we’re not to eat it by the spoonful, what are we meant to eat it with? Vegetables? If so, which ones and how much? Anyone have any ideas?

Also, I’ve decided to skip making this recipe and buy store bought varieties of hummus instead. Three different kinds of hummus, each recipe makes 3 portions and yet the book doesn’t suggest eating it again for another 2.5 weeks, just leads to a lot of food wastage for a single person, not to mention the amount of time and energy gone into creating these dishes!

Thank you.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

I kept the Daily Mail recipes of Michael’s blood sugar diet and the minted pea hummus says ‘serve with your choice of crudites’. I would just count the calories of the crudites you choose and add to the total he gives for the various hummus in the book as they do vary in calorific values. Cucumber, celery and peppers are very low in calories.
    Also, I freeze portions of hummus so I don’t have to eat it 3 days on the trot – it works just fine!!! I know how you feel as I am doing this as a single person and I find it takes a lot of energy to make three decent (small) meals a day just for one person.
    Let’s keep on as this diet is doing wonders for me – my father told me I need to buy new jeans as they are now very baggy on me after just one month!
    All the best

on

Thanks very much for your helpful reply hashimoto. One week in and I’ve lost 2.5kg so it’s very motivating. And although I am enjoying the recipes as they’re delicious (even if time consuming to prepare for one person), the lack of carbs has led to physical exhaustion and tiredness as if I’ve run a marathon. I’m finding my regular gym workouts (including HIT aka Fast Exercise) hard going. So I’ll see how I go with my energy levels after the second week has passed. Hopefully I will have adjusted to the new regime.

Keep it up!

Regards.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Pesco, I use hummus as a protein boost for a salad lunch, when I just put dollops on my salad as a dressing. I also use it with salad for dinner if I’m making falafel.
    It is great to fill the grooves in celery too but if you can freeze it I would have the home made version every time. Never lasts long in my house though as my kids devour it when they come home from school if they see it in the fridge.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

I use pepper strips, celery, and carrot to dip in my humus although, this week, I’m going to try making the chickpea flour crackers from the recipe section.

• posted by Bizibee
    on

I too experienced some physical exhaustion. However this seemed to be helped by increasing my intake of fats slightly, eg some Olive oil on roasted veg and chicken breast, scrambled egg using a small amount of butter.

on

Thanks very much for your replies Cherrianne, Bill and Bizibee. Twelve days into the diet, the physical exhaustion has now subsided thanks in part to drinking half a teaspoon of salt in a glass of water before my workouts. Upping the (lost) salt intake really helps and as I have low-normal blood pressure, salt isn’t an issue for me.

• posted by Deborah Stead
    on

I am not very sure of the amount we are supposed to it as the 3 together almost fill up a medium container. Also the beetroot recipe ended up being double the amount of the other 3. It does look like a LOT 300g of hummus between all of them. Is that correct?? Any suggestions??

Please log in or register to post a reply.