Preparing to start on Monday

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Sarah_500
    on

So here goes, have read the book and have been suitably terrified by what is my regular diet and have set the date for the 8th Jan to begin my journey.

I am definitely a winter comfort eater and the thought of salads at this time of year is a big no for me. So does anyone have some tasty soup recipes for vegetarians, roasted butternut squash and red pepper is a firm favorite.

Is there anything I should stock up on for this first week?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Bravo Sarah, you have come to the right place and will soon have a reversal of your pre-diabetes diagnosis if you stick with this plan.

There is lots of info on this site without giving you every recipe available, just go to the search at the top of the page, type in your subject i.e. soups, and see what comes up. There is a website called http://www.thedietdoctor.com which has really good info about low carb foods, especially the veg to avoid which you might not be aware of and it also has lots of recipes.

Personally I love my salads and have one most lunchtimes but, yes soup is good. My favourite from the book is the Spanish chickpea and chorizo, almost substantial enough for the main evening meal or a lunch. There are lots of ways with stews and mince etc. One of my favourite recipes from the BDS recipe book (sarah scheniker and claire bailey and is highly recommended) is the Hungarian goulash or the cauli topped cottage pie, even a simple spag bolognaise without the pasta using spirallized courgette. There are so many to mention. There is a second search bar a little way down the right hand side called Search Recipes, which you could type in something like ‘soup’ or ‘red pepper soup’ and see what comes up.

As to what to stock up on there are lots of posts giving long explanations and shopping ideas. I will come back with specifics but searching will help you navigate the site a bit. Good luck – and dont forget to join in on any subjects that are of interest.

Also take all your measurements, weight yes but also bust, waist and hips so you have something other than weight to measure success, sometimes the scales dont move but inches do. Drink plenty of water and add a little salt to some meals to make up for the loss of electrolytes due to flushing the body and peeing lots more. So many things you will learn as you go. Keep asking questions and, as I say, keep on keeping on…

• posted by Sarah_500
    on

I am looking forward to making these changes, however I am very wary of how it will affect my health. My pre-diabetes diagnosis is as a result of long term steroid use for a chronic autoimmune disease. I am determined not to take yet more meds as I am on a pretty horrendous number as it is. Thanks for the info, let’s do this!!

on

Sarah, not being a doctor I cannot give advice on your steroids, but can say that this diet will help immensely with the pre-diabetes and help you avoid further medication. From the experiences of others on this site, it may also help with your other medical issues. There was a thread about steroid use so put that in the Search.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Sarah, take a look at this one:

https://wellvegan.com/recipe/curry-ramen-with-crispy-baked-tofu

Could be made low carb by using shirataki noodles or spiralized daikon radish, and using alternative breading for the tofu (my fav is a combo of ground golden flax and cheap parm cheese out of a can (drier). Looks delish.

Will post on the Good Eats LC thread so others can find easily later.

Good luck.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Oops….and omit the coconut sugar….can replace with a bit of stevia or monk fruit extract etc.

• posted by Sarah_500
    on

So I have begun….

How often should I weigh myself & check measurements?

Pretty much going into hibernation this week.

on

A lot of us weight ourselves everyday to keep us on track but it can be a double edged sword. Sometimes I would weigh in with a 3lb loss by Friday, relax over the weekend and blow it by Tuesday which is my official weekly weigh in. It is really up to you. Measurements should be taken at the beginning and then I re-measure every half stone lost. Another time to measure is when the scales are standing still, you can still have inch loss without losing weight.

Im with you on the hibernation, shopping this morning, chiropodist tomorrow and then the rest of the week to myself (retired live is great).

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Sarah_500 – it’s really a matter of choice, as to how often to weigh yourself. There’s some evidence that says those who weigh daily are more successful at losing weight and keeping it off, but for some people the daily fluctuations prove too frustrating and can result in giving into the ‘what the hell, I’ve gained anyway’ syndrome.

Personally, in the main I find myself motivated whatever the scales say – if it’s positive I’m spurred on to do more, if it’s a gain it helps me to knuckle under and really try hard to rectify the situation. Like sunshine-girl I also have a weekly weigh-in day, which is in line with the challenge threads I take part in – two running at the moment, one four week and one eight week. I’d recommend joining a challenge thread as these really help to keep you focused and are wonderfully supportive.

It’s great that you have the option to hibernate and be gentle with yourself as you start out on the BSD, that’s a great way to begin on this quest. Best of luck to you and hope to be reading good results posted by you soon.

• posted by Sarah_500
    on

Where can you find the challenge threads, the ones I can find are for last year and I’d like to find one where people are starting out like me

• posted by Sarah_500
    on

What are the best measurements to take? Waist of course, bust?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Sarah – the current four week challenge running at the moment is ‘2018 A HAPPY NEW YEAR; MEETING GOALS WITH GREAT GOOD CHEER: 4 wks ending 23 Jan’ and the eight week onw is ‘8 week Fast 800 ‘reboot’ starting 2 January 2018′. These are populated by people who have been on the BSD for weeks and months, as well as newcomers like yourself. The advantage of joining groups like this, is that those who have been around for a while, have the experience, knowledge and wisdom to assist those just starting out. The challenge threads are very inclusive and friendly and it doesn’t matter they may have been running a little while, you will still be made welcome.

I’d say take all the measurements you can, but definitely bust, waist and hips. If there is an area where you carry weight in particular – thighs may be – measure that too. The more areas of comparison the better really. I admit I didn’t do this myself, only taking a waist measurement, but now I wish I had taken lots of them, so I could make meaningful comparisons other than just current dress size.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Sarah, I like making veggie soup too. Unfortunately most of the things I use to give it body are high carb – butternut squash, sweet potato, carrots or parsnips. I’m looking for alternatives.

• posted by Sarah_500
    on

I hadn’t realised that butternut squash is high carb – will really have to rethink my options too 😞

• posted by bridgetreilly
    on

I started yesterday too, Sarah!

I’ve planned out my week’s meals from the book and shopped accordingly. So far I’m finding it hard but manageable. I have a tiny pot of toasted nuts and when I’m desperate, I’m letting myself have a couple of those. Also lots of water and cups of tea.

• posted by Sarah_500
    on

So day 2 complete – I am finding that it is easier to continue fasting until about mid day, as I am never hungry in the mornings. I am retreating upstairs pretty soon after dinner to avoid the siren call of the fridge! Seems to be working.

on

How did the first week go, Sarah?

I had one lapse (found some Cadbury’s eclairs in my handbag and ate them all) but mostly stuck to the plan and found it a lot easier than I was expecting.

• posted by Sarah_500
    on

The first week has gone well – I’ve lost 6.6lbs and 2.5 inches around my waist, so I am pretty happy. Down side is that my blood sugar is pretty low, 4.2 this morning and I am worried that it is going to continue dropping at the same rate. Given my other health issues I really don’t need to create any new ones

on

If your blood sugar is low, you really shouldn’t be doing this diet. It’s specifically designed to lower blood sugar!

on

I think the point is the BG has lowered, not a case of having low blood sugar before the diet. The diet is meant to lower blood sugar and that is what it does, or what is the point. My BG was 4.2 this morning but that is pretty normal, but being a diabetic it can be classed as low.

• posted by You snooze you gain
    on

Bridget, that’s a unique point of view. I thought the diet was intended to keep blood sugar levels under control (ie from soaring) whilst providing a way of eating that facilitates weight loss. Is any healthy diet/way of eating really contraindicated? I thought low blood sugar was very easy to remedy and therefore not a huge problem, also aren’t our bodies designed to regulate blood sugar, highly unlikely that this diet will cause levels to drop to dangerous levels. Maybe a tad authoritarian to declare a healthy way of eating is something you “really shouldn’t be doing”?

on

Sarah, I know when you have had high BG with pre or diabetes it can be pretty scary to find you are ‘going low’. And it think I have already given my experience when you mentioned this on another thread (or was that someone else). Briefly, I went from 11.0 to 5.5 in about 3 or 4 weeks and went into a right old panic. Just to put this into perspective – the optimum range for BG in a diabetic is between 80 and 120 – that equates to 4.4 to 6.6. You are running at 4.2 (as am I too) so nothing to worry about, it is the aim of this diet and that is what it has achieved for you. The only caveat is to keep a close eye on it by extra testing and knowing how you are feeling if you go too low, fuzzy head, tingling lips or fingers, blurred vision, shaky etc and have something to eat to put things back up a little. I now dont stuff my face with a cheese sandwich as I used to do. I just have some ham, maybe some yoghurt and a couple of prunes, give it 15 mins and test again. If it hasn’t gone up a little then maybe a glucose sweet or tablet might be in order.

YSYG, it is true that non-diabetics have good BG regulating in the normal bodily functions but diabetics do not and the next step from going too low is unconsciousness and in the worst instance, coma. It is knowing our own bodies and how to take care of ourselves that is important in this process. If my blood glucose goes much over 5.0 then I start to panic that it is getting too high.

on

Hi sunshine – I suppose what I wanted to say is that there is more to blood sugar movement than the food you put in your mouth. It doesn’t plummet to nothing simply because you don’t eat carbs. Non diabetics need not worry too much, but I know that even if you eat as near zero carbs as is possible your liver (I think it’s your liver) will produce glucose. I know this because I have woken with raised blood sugar after a day of exemplary eating.

Low blood sugar is, surely, due to a combination of drugs (insulin etc) and food consumption. To tell someone that they should not be following a supremely healthy way of eating because they have expressed concern that their blood sugar will continue to drop risks their abandoning the BSD. Sarah, don’t worry – this healthy diet is unlikely to send blood sugar plummeting to zero. You could, if you are on diabetic drugs, check with your doctor to see if your new way of eating means your dosage could be lowered. Please don’t be discouraged and believe me when I say a chocolate cake diet to raise your BS is not indicated!

on

Unfortunately a diabetics blood sugar can plummet, doubt to zero but I have had a low where I went unconscious, my bg was 2.1. However, you are right in that there are many factors and, in fact, I had my plummet just after eating a high carb breakfast of 3 Weetabix. No accounting for how our bodies work. I am in total agreement that this is not a reason to abandon this way of eating, in fact it is the reason we are doing it. Having looked at Sarah’s profile I see she is not on any medication so cannot adjust but must carefully watch her blood sugar. Mine in currently on the downward slope and I am very happy to be 4.2 this morning but I will reduce my insulin (injection) by one unit. I have gone from up in the high 6’s after Christmas to now back in the 4’s and have reduced my insulin from 29 units to 26 in the last week.

on

You are quite right. However, my understanding was that Sarah, who is not diabetic, was concerned that her blood sugar would continue to descend from safe, acceptable (desirable even) levels to being permanently and dangerously low. I may be wrong, but I don’t think this is likely to happen. I was concerned that someone would arbitrarily tell her, a pre diabetic, that this eminently suitable diet was not for her.

• posted by Sarah_500
    on

Thanks for all the helpful information that you’ve given me. I guess my main concern was that I am on a lot of medication not insulin, but steroids and blood pressure medication, and therefore was wondering what such a sudden drop in blood sugar might do to ones overall health.

I am of course going to carry on with the diet as I believe that it is having a positive impact on my general health. I am only on week two and have ME/CFS but have noticed a massive increase in my energy levels in that time.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh Sarah, I’m so delighted for you!!! I related my own CFS history
    with you earlier on, in the hopes that this WOE would make the
    same difference in your energy levels that it did for me. Keep
    going, you’re doing great 🙂 🙂 🙂

Allie

on

YSYG, it’s not a unique point of view! It’s clearly talked about in the book. This diet is NOT recommended for everyone, and in particular it’s not recommended for type-1 diabetics and those with low blood sugar.

And although rapid weight loss is a feature of the diet, it’s not the goal of it. The goal is the regulation of blood sugar to prevent prediabetes and diabetes.

on

The main aim of the diet is for T2 diabetics to kick start their pancreas to produce insulin again and reduce their blood sugar to such an extent that they can prevent, come off or reduce medication. It was never meant as a weight loss plan for the sole reason of losing weight but to reduce blood sugar. This morning my blood sugar was 3.6 and I dont say I have low blood sugar, I say yippee the diet is working and reduce my medication so I get back around 4.5. This is a continual process as once I reduce my insulin the results will go up but continuing on the plan will bring it down again so I can further reduce my insulin. It is also for pre-diabetics to prevent them from slipping into full diabetes. So this diet is for Sarah until her blood sugar is well regulated and the pre-diabetes diagnosis is given is reversed by her doctor. Dangerously low blood sugar in non-diabetics is rare and is covered by certain medical conditions not addressed here.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Sarah, I find this discussion on your thread very unfortunate. There are no medical doctors here qualified to give
    you medical advice regarding your suitability for this WOE, much less those that have been at it a mere 2 weeks.
    With all news things, there is a learning curve that we must all go through. My sincerest advice to you would be
    seek out those here that are truly knowledgeable about this WOL. Sunshine-girl, Verano, or Marie123, to name
    just a few. There are alot of us “old timers” here who are more than delighted to share our experiences,
    anecdotal as they may be. In doing so, we support each other in a positive and loving way.
    Come here often, we are always out and about, and look forward to supporting you in every way.
    Best to you,

Allie

• posted by Sarah_500
    on

I find everyone’s input here very helpful and am grateful to those that take the time to offer opinions and advice. Unfortunately I suffer from a rare autoimmune disease where the general consensus even among medical professionals is that those suffering probably know more than the medics and can offer much more suppport.

When I was told about the pre-diabetes the GP mentioned cutting carbs but no advice on how to go about it, subsequent to that the nurse told me under no circumstances should I cut out carbs – it can be very confusing and upsetting, so any advice to consider is a bonus even if it is so I can have a more informed discussion with my doctors.

I keep a close eye on how I am feeling, and I am already so much better in myself and with my energy levels, and that can only be a good thing.

on

Many, if not most, practice nurses are still giving out the old party line of low fat, high carb eating. They are only experts, or even barely qualified, in the sense that in the kingdom of the blind the one eyed man …. One of them, presumably in an effort to discourage me from drinking, told me that a glass of wine had as much sugar in it as a can of coke and would raise my blood sugar in the same way. Not sure if she just thought I was stupid, or if she actually believed what she was saying. The fact that she was more than a little obese didn’t lead me to believe she had much idea what she was talking about. GPs seem to be a little more familiar with the latest research, but they are not so very expert in most cases. They are very keen to monitor diabetic patients because it brings them extra income.

It’s probably safe to say that most refined and processed carbs, flour, sugar, bread, biscuits and cake can safely be dispensed with. Also that losing weight can, for many people, entirely reverse type 2 diabetes in that it restores the body’s ability to regulate blood sugar. In the process of establishing a balance drugs can temporarily lower blood sugar a bit too much, but the more your body can regulate itself the fewer drugs you need. Do not believe anyone who tells you a biscuit, even as plain as rich tea, is a good thing.

Please log in or register to post a reply.