Portion size – new starter needs guidance

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by toddy_67
    on

Hello everyone. I’m entirely new to these forums so apologies if I’m posting in the wrong place or breaking some community guidelines. It’s not intentional and I’m sure I’ll learn.
    I’ve only just started the diet, today is Day Four. I’m intending to have courgetti and bolognese tonight for dinner but how much would be a ‘normal/healthy’ portion size of bolognese? I’m imagining something like a handful. If anyone has any better guidance please let me know.
    I’ve also been reading on here that lots of people are aiming for <20g of carbs a day. I’m struggling to meal plan and stick to 40-50g a day so if there any other helpful resources for doing this please let me know.

Many thanks

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Toddy-67, there are no rules unless you count the usual ettiquete of not being rude, insulting, trolling etc and no advertising. We are an easy going bunch and rarely have disagreements. In 2 years I have only known 2 people be offensive and 2 people take offence – although I didn’t think any was meant.
    Your question about portion sizes is one that can be helped if you are following recipes and it depends if you are doing the Fast800 so looking for v.l. calories. For example, I would use around 80g of mince for my own portion and would pad it out with things like the mushrooms, canned tomatoes and chuck in a red pepper. Also about 100g of courgette per person. As a rule of thumb I allow 80 to 100g of meat or chicken. I know the recipes can be unhelpful only talking in vague terms, like a medium chicken breast, a matchbox size of cheese and so on but you will get the hang of it. As for the 20g of carbs, I am afraid I cannot do it as it takes my calories down too low. I stick around 50g but never eat anything starchy like the usual culprits – rice or pasta (not even white or wholemeal), no bread, potatoes, cereal, anything made with flour and so on.
    Good luck and keep the questions coming if you need to – there is always someone here to help – we are all on the same journey.

• posted by alliecat
    on

A very warm welcome to you, toddy67! The BSD has a lot of flexibility built into it, and
    there are myriad of ways to do it successfully, as well as a great deal of wisdom, knowledge
    and experience here on the forums. We love to share our experiences, so please just shout
    out if you have any questions or concerns, and one of us will be along to help, support or
    commiserate ๐Ÿ™‚ How are you feeling on day 4? Very best wishes to you on setting out on
    an amazing journey! I DOES change lives ๐Ÿ™‚

Allie

• posted by toddy_67
    on

Many thanks for your responses, most helpful. It’s not my first time on a VLC so I’m really hoping I can stick to this and establish some new habits.
    Day Four and I’m feeling ok, if somewhat cold. I’m following the recipe book but finding the calorie counts somewhat different from my fitnesspal and fitday.com so feeling a little confused. Hopefully the discrepancies are minor and I’ll keep to the calorie count each day.

Thanks again

• posted by Squidge
    on

If the differences in calorie counts vary only slightly, I’d just stick to whicever method you find easiest to use. As long as you average out at around 800 per day, it’s fine.

When I started, I made big batches of some meals in the book, calculating the total calories for the whole lot (which was easy as many items had the calorie counts on the tins and packs.). I then worked out how many portions it would need to be divided into to give me around 350 calories each, split it up and froze it in individual lots. I then knew I could eat one, with a little salad or steamed veg and not be over 400 calories.

I’m maintaining now, so am eating more โ€“ but I still do this, with slightly more generous portions.

Please log in or register to post a reply.