Picky eater

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Shublo
    on

Hi everyone

I’ve been reading a bit about BDS and came across these forums so I thought I would join.
    I am not diabetic just need to lose weight. Recently realised just how much I have gained when I couldn’t fit into a dress from just over a year ago.
    Diets are really difficult for me cos I’m such a picky eater. And I eat at my desk at work out of boredom sweets chocolates crisps etc. All day. I absolutely love Coke and really don’t want to give it up. It’s the one thing I look forward to in the evenings.
    I’ve never followed a diet plan so it’s gonna be really difficult for me.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Welcome Shublo — good to have you join us. I am a veteran of a year and a half and I’m in maintenance mode after losing about 45 pounds. I sincerely recommend buying the BSD diet book and reading it cover to cover, then as someone else said before, read it again!
    It is important to understand this new way of thinking — especially because you are a newbie on dieting in general and this is a TOTALLY new way of thinking about food.
    Most importantly though, and something to start on right now, is cutting back on the simple carbohydrates like crisps and chocolate and Coke. Simple sugars like those are the reason you are gaining weight — they trigger insulin production and insulin is your “fat storage” hormone.
    You need to get your insulin levels as low as you possibly can and that means trying to get your carbohydrate intake down to 20-50 grams of carbohydrate per day — the lower the better.
    As you read the book and get more into the swing of things, shout out with any questions — there are so many successful people here who can answer almost any question and can guide you —
    You are in for a wonderful adventure here — you are going to amaze yourself — this way of eating works and it will change how you eat forever.

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Hi Shublo – I absolutely agree with Californiagirl – the crisps, chocolate and coke will never allow you to lose weight and they will set you up for T2 in the future. I know it sounds tough but one of the reasons you crave these is because of what they do to your blood sugar/insulin levels – definitely read the book – at least once and you will understand why and also why this way of eating is so effective. But on a positive note, if you can break the carb habit for even a few days, the cravings gradually disappear so it ends up not being as difficult as you fear. When you reduce the carbs significantly you may well feel like c**p for a few days as your body adjusts but it doesn’t last long and you will feel soooo much better once you’re through it.
    Good luck with this – it really is a revolution in the way to eat. And as Californiagirl says, you can always come on here for advice, support and even for a jolly good moan if you need to.
    SSB

• posted by Esnecca
    on

What you’ve described isn’t picky eating. It’s sugar addiction. Picky eaters dislike this and dislike that for a range of reasons, often because they’ve put their tastebuds in a state of arrested development frozen at a time in childhood when they tried x and didn’t like it and therefore will never try it again. You only want to eat sugar, period. That’s not because whatever cookies and sodas you crave are the only foodstuffs in the world you can tolerate. It’s because the enormous quantities of sugar cause your insulin to spike to reduce your blood glucose levels so you can survive the overdose, and then when your blood glucose levels crater, you are driven to replenish them.

I know it seems impossible to contemplate right now, but I think you have to cold turkey this. As long as you’re feeding the cycle, you are not going to lose all the weight you want and your cravings will never go away. Transition with sugar-free sodas if you have to. They’re not great for you either, but a Coke Zero once a day might help keep the habit at bay. If you’re anything like me, eventually you’ll lose the taste for that too.

Once you’ve got the sugar monkey off your back, your tastes will change, perhaps even dramatically. Keep an open mind. Set aside whatever hangups and presuppositions you’ve got about food and try new things. It’s a magical thing to find you suddenly love sour things when your whole life you’ve run the very sight of a dill pickle. That beautiful hit of astringence on the tongue is one of the great all time flavor experiences when you’ve spent decades under the spell of sweetness. That happened to me. I used to actuall get teary when a dill spear touched the side of my sandwich. I eat two garlic dill pickles a day now, and could probably eat a whole jar of them if left to my own devices.

Good luck!

• posted by Shublo
    on

Lol yes I’m addicted to sugar as well as being a picky eater. Ask anyone who knows me theyll say they’ve never met anyone who’s so fussy about food aside from the sweet tooth.
    Haven’t had any coke for a week! Yay!

Please log in or register to post a reply.