Pearl Barley

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I saw a TV chef make a pearl barley risotto this morning and thought it sounded like a good alternative to rice. However, my research has thrown up so many different views. It is supposed to be the lowest GI grain ever at 22, but someone said when it is cooked it goes up to 66. Should I treat it like oats and only have it occasionally or should I avoid it all together.

Any experts out there.

• posted by Timmy
    on

Wow, hadn’t heard that! Pretty sure MM recommends pearl barley in the book as one that is ok. I bought a packet, then saw that it takes bloomin ages to cook so haven’t bothered!

• posted by LACali21
    on

I made beef barley soup with it, but we just need to watch the carbs. It is not very low since it is a grain.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

From MyFitnessPal – 35 grams of pearl barley (sounds like a portion to me, not an expert) is 120 cals but 27 carbs. If you’re trying to restrict your carbs to under 50g per day to drive weight loss that is quite a lot.

So I think that LACali21 is probably right, you should perhaps swerve the pearl barley unless you plan it in carefully.

on

I will give it a miss for now and stick to lentils, Thanks guys

• posted by LACali21
    on

You may want to watch the lentil intake too sunshine-girl. According to MyFitnessPal 1 cup is 230 cals and 40 g carbs. I only use any pulse as an addition to a dish, not a full serving. But I’m trying to keep my carbs down to promote faster weight loss. 🙂

on

I don’t know why I said lentils as I haven’t had any except within this diet, eat more chickpeas, legumes and beans. Sometimes put some in with mince to pad out a bolognaise but I do have Michael’s chicken on lentilsm had it twice in 4 weeks so not a staple in my diet, thanks for the heads up lac.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Best sort of barley to use is pot barley – it is unprocessed unlike pearl barley, can take a bit longer to prepare but you can make a good amount and freeze some, you can make an orzotto with it if you want – an alternative to a risotto. I haven’t had an orzotto for ages, and won’t be having any during my fasting phase. Doing the 8 weeks in summertime is great for salads etc.

• posted by Lgf
    on

Actually its not the best. The best is actually “ Hulled barley” its healthier and a bit lower on glycemic index because its higher fibre than the polished (pearl or pot barley).

• posted by Lgf
    on

In terms of processing, hulled barley receives the least, with just the hull being mostly removed and no more being done to it; the bran is left on. Pearl barley receives the most processing; it is polished to ensure that no trace of hull or bran remains. Pot barley falls in between the two.

• posted by Lgf
    on

https://www.healthline.com › nutrition
    Web results
    Is Barley Good for You? Nutrition, Benefits and How to Cook It – Healthline
    Aug. 29, 2018 · Barley is high in fiber, especially beta-glucan, which may reduce cholesterol and blood sugar levels. It may also aid weight loss and improve digestion. Whole-grain, hulled barley is more nutritious than refined, pearled barley. It can be substituted for any whole grain and easily added to your diet.

• posted by Lgf
    on

This is true information.

“https://www.healthline.com › nutrition
    Web results
    Is Barley Good for You? Nutrition, Benefits and How to Cook It – Healthline
    Aug. 29, 2018 · Barley is high in fiber, especially beta-glucan, which may reduce cholesterol and blood sugar levels. It may also aid weight loss and improve digestion. Whole-grain, hulled barley is more nutritious than refined, pearled barley. It can be substituted for any whole grain and easily added to your diet.”

Please log in or register to post a reply.