Peanut Butter

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Leeanne
    on

Hi all,
    Just wondered if anyone has found that peanut butter causes blood sugars to rise?
    Just 3 days from the finish line for me and for the last few days my FBS has been in the 9’s!!
    I’ve put this down to peanut butter. Not as a meal but as a crafty hunger pang stick my finger in the jar sort of thing!! Obviously a bit too often. Had anyone else found this or is it actually something else.

• posted by Shyshihtzu
    on

Hi there, I know that peanut butter affects my husband’s bs. He had a hypo earlier on in the week and a friend told us to try a teaspoon or 2 before bed, as this may help prevent another hypo. We have noticed that if he has it too often, (or too much!) his bs are raised quite dramatically. I think we may have to stop buying the wicked stuff ๐Ÿ˜  Hey ho, it’s a learning curve โ˜บ

• posted by Shyshihtzu
    on

I’ve just noticed the date when you 1st raised this subject. Sorry, I’m new on here. Hopefully, I won’t do it again ๐Ÿ˜•

• posted by Esnecca
    on

There’s nothing wrong with bumping an old thread, Shyshihtzu. Leeanne may be subscribed in which case she’ll get an email notification of your answer, and even if she doesn’t, someone else can still profit from your contribution. Me, for instance! ๐Ÿ˜€

May I ask what kind of peanut butter your husband eats? Does it have added sugar or is it only the natural sugars found in peanuts causing his BG to rise?

• posted by Shyshihtzu
    on

Hi Esnecca, and thanks for your comments. We have Sunpat Peanut Butter, no sugar added, we already had the other before realising it had sugar in it. We’re only 1 week in to the diet, so no doubt that we are going to make mistakes, but we’re trying. My husband is T2D and on Metformin, Insulin, Glimepiride and other meds for Hypertension. His bloods seem to be all over the place atm!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

It must be challenging to know what to do when the numbers are all over the map. I wonder if you could do a little experiment with the peanut butter. Maybe eat a teaspoon, wait a bit then test. Then the next day two teaspoons, etc. If it’s a serving size issue, it should be repeatable.

I’m afraid I’m not personally knowledgeable on the subject of blood sugar management diet vs. medications, but sunshine-girl has posted often about her own attempts to negotiate BG stability by decreasing meds as she goes along. Even though you’re still in the early stages of the diet, you should keep an eye out for her posts on the subject.

• posted by Shyshihtzu
    on

Thank you for the idea, I think we’ll give that a try. And I’ll have a look at the posts by sunshine-girl. ๐Ÿ‘

Please log in or register to post a reply.