Pea Soup

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

I have noticed that a few people are looking for this recipe so I’ve copied it from my original post.

This is so quick and easy and full of ‘green’ goodness

Serves 6, approx. 94cals and 7.7g carbs per serving(this includes 100g spinach)

PEA SOUP
    1tbs olive oil
    2 small leeks or 1 medium onion sliced
    400g frozen petite pois
    2 vegetable stock cubes dissolved in 800ml water.
    85g watercress
    sprig of mint or to taste
    Salt and pepper to taste

Sweat leeks in the olive oil until soft.
    Add peas and stock and cook gently for 5 minutes or until tender.
    Add watercress and mint and wilt down.
    Blitz… may need a little more liquid at this point.
    Add salt and pepper as required.

Spinach (100g) can also be added with the watercress to make a more substantial soup

You can substitute milk for some of the stock or add a teaspoon of cream or yogurt before serving.
    Really easy soup and very satisfying.

The last time I froze this soup it separated slightly but a quick blitz brought it back to the correct texture.
    Enjoy!!!!

• posted by crabbycams
    on

Thanks Verano,

I did eventually find it when I used my noggin and went back through the original post. Reading on the screen is so very different from reading from paper (we tend to chunk text and miss detail).

Shopping tonight for the ingredients and will include spinach. Probably not able to get watercress at this time of year but rocket might do as an alternative.

I’m also trying my meatball recipe (have to do the mental arithmetic for a calorie count) and wrapping it in cabbage leaves in a tomato (and shed loads of garlic) sauce.

Does anyone else feel that herbs and spices ought to be calorie free?

Crabbycams

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Looks lovely…..am putting it on my soup to-do list as I make a different pot of soup each week. I love anything with leeks in it and this combo sounds so yummy.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi crabbycans. herbs and spices are virtually anything free but if you want to count them just at 10 cals per meal. That is about the average for some oregano, basil and bay in a bolognaise. Just for fun (yes I have a boring life) I checked out oregano. It has 265 cals per 100g, sounds a lot but if you think you use a teaspoon in a meal then share it between 2 people you will be getting 6.6 extra calories in your meal, the fat (yes fat) is 0.10g per serving and carbs are 1.72g per serving. So unless you are eating your herbs and spice by the 1lb dont worry about it. And, by the way, garlic is about half the values in herbs so stick it in and enjoy.

Please log in or register to post a reply.