Ought I ever go back to eating carbs?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

My question is – after a debate with a friend – is there a scientific, nutritional reason why I should gradually return to eating refined carbs ie bread, pasta etc as well as starchy veg. Will I be nutrient deficient in any way if I don’t? Have I developed a food fear that is unhealthy?

I feel the opposite…………..why would I return to eating ‘normal’ carbs if I don’t feel the need to do so but am I doing the wrong thing promoting this way of life to others ie is this safe for the rest of my life???

• posted by JGwen
    on

We are not designed to eat a high carb diet, but equally we should not say we will never eat carbs in any circumstances. – We all get invites to birthday parties and weddings and refusing to join in the celebrations by refusing the cake is not necessary. –

On the other hand, since the 1960’s society has moved from the norm of cooking using fresh ingredients a meal consisting of protein and veg and moved over to buying meals which come in a packet and you remove the cardboard, stick in the microwave for a few seconds and eat. – There are large profits to be made from this processed food industry, and opportunities to maximize the profits through the selection of ingredients.

Moving back to booking from raw ingredients, and eating 2 or 3 times a day with no snacks is just eating as we are designed to eat.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Tallyhoo, as you have done so well with reducing your BG I think you know the answer to your own question. As JGwen say we are not designed to eat the high starchy carbs and until after the war we ate good healthy diets with fresh meat and veg. But also after the war there was a shortage of food and things that were easy to grow became the mainstay of diets – so wheat, root veg, especially potatoes but others too. Then in the 60’s when women started taking up their place in the workplace ready meals became the norm.
    Forget about convincing others, you are the important one and you know it does you good and as JGwen says, it is not an all or nothing thing. High starch carbs should be a now and then thing like a bread roll at a restaurant meal but not to empty the bread basket. I know what you mean about having developed an unhealthy food fear. You dont have an unhealthy fear, you have a fear of certain types of unhealthy food and that is a good thing.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Tallyhoo
    It’s an interesting question, isn’t it? I had the same debate with a couple of my friends when I originally started this way of eating, too, as well as with one or two health care workers (certainly the dieticians). It also frequently crops up on social media and mainstream media.
    So, I was diagnosed with Type 2 in 2016 and started first the 5:2 and then very quickly found the Blood Sugar Diet. I also found Jason Fung’s youtube presentations which helped me understand what was going wrong in my body. I read people’s experience on here and on the forum at diabetes.co.uk where lots of people had put their diabetes into remission. Based on that I also went VLC (read your profile) doing 800 cal and 20g carbs. Since my main weight loss I have maintained my low carb approach for 4 years plus.
    I’m a data geek so I’ve monitored my health markers throughout.
    From my diagnosis in May 2016, as well as my blood sugar levels going down into the normal range (and they were high!) and staying there, my fatty liver disappeared, my insulin levels have lowered, my BP and BMI are normal and my cholesterol levels have improved.
    As well as those things that are measured I no longer get IBS-like symptoms, my heartburn disappeared and the arthritic pain I used to get in my hands pretty regularly has all but disappeared. I have loads of energy and my skin is great. I remember my dentist tapping my teeth at one point and commenting how strong they were (never happened before), my hairdresser complementing me on the condition of my hair (never happened before) and at an annual foot check the chiropodist complementing me on my healthy nails (definitely something that I owe to this woe!).
    All of this happened using this way of eating and taking up exercise, a lot while only eating 800 cals. I think what other people often forget is how much healthier your diet is when you are eating this way. It’s packed full of nutrients. A lot of the carbs I used to eat had very few nutrients. So, I don’t think you are wrong to be enthusiastic about this way of eating. I often mention it particularly to people like ourselves who have T2.
    Is it safe to follow for the rest of your life? I don’t see why not, but to be honest I don’t know. For me, as long as it is keeping my T2 in remission and I’m feeling so well I’m sticking with it.
    As far as introducing back some highly refined carbs, I think it’s about knowing yourself best. Personally, if I started I know I wouldn’t be able to stop. Even with low carb seed crackers (which are definitely more-ish) if I make 12 I find it hard not to eat all 12 within an oh too short space of time!!

Tally – from your profile you’re doing great – well done that woman!
    Jennie xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.