Other health issues and 800

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Alison78
    on

I have MS, insulin controlled type 2, asthma and currently 150kg. So as you can imagine I can issues with exercise just now. Does anyone just do the diet only? What results are you getting? I am on a waiting list at the hospital for help with diet as i am a carb junkie (bread,crackers,crisps mostly),so I have been researching this BSD option.I am hoping once I’ve lost a bit of weight the exercise will be easier. I have a dog I walk every day but at a slower pace than what is recommended (he’s getting a bit old too but hoping extra walks will help him as well). Can anyone give me any answers to my questions?

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Alison78. A very warm welcome to you! Allow me to share my experience
    with the BSD, and perhaps it may answer at least your question re exercise.
    I’ve never been prediabetic or diabetic, but there are many here that are
    extremely knowledgeable on that subject
    Let me say, also, that I’m sorry to hear of your multiple health problems.
    My list of chronic ailments when I began this style of eating included
    post Lyme syndrome, fibromyalgia, CFS, arachnoiditis, and cardiomyopathy.
    Lyme disease also mimics MS symptomatically, and was one of the things
    that had to be ruled out. I gained 145lbs over the course of 17 years,
    progressing from a healthy weight to morbidly obese. I was in chronic
    pain every day. I adopted this diet 15 months ago. Over the first 10
    months I lost 140 lbs. I have now been maintaining this loss, and have
    added another 4-5 lbs to it. Over the 10 month period I did virtually no
    exercise because I was too disabled to do it. Standing for more than
    10 minutes caused intense muscle spasms in my back. I know that
    extreme weight loss is possible if you follow the diet strictly, keep
    carbs very low, and join one or more of the threads here for support.
    I sincerely hope that you decide to give it a try. It has well and truly
    given me my life and a great deal of my health back.
    Best wishes,

Allie

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Alison 78 let me just second Allie’s post. I’m sorry to hear of all of your health issues but it is still possible to lose weight without exercise. I have only lost a mere 56lb or so but my mobility is compromised so formal exercise involving walking etc. isn’t possible for me. I have T2 and was on metformin but am now in remission. I understand that taking insulin makes you put on weight but there are people who post here who are losing weight despite that.

Everything is possible, it may take a little longer and be a little slower but it is possible. Keep reading the forums and post when you need help or inspiration just don’t give up you will get your health to a better place it may just take time. Best of luck on your journey.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Alison 78 – you have just had answers from the 2 best people to know about this. Can I just but in and say that as you are walking your dog you can do some exercise but slowly. That is still exercise and you might find as you lose weight you can do more or go further. Another alternative – or additional – is something I do although I am totally capable of all exercise, just like to fill in spare gaps when I can do something. Using light weights (2 tins of beans will do or small bottle of water) whilst sitting in the chair watching TV I do biceps curls and triceps dips – also raising and lowering your legs slowly, turning your ankles. These are just a few, if you go on the internet and look at exercises for the elderly (not that is what you are) you will find plenty of small differences you can make which can build up muscles i.e. the arms or legs which give you much more fat burning power. Little by little does it.

• posted by Alison78
    on

thanks

Please log in or register to post a reply.