Oomi noodles

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Kitt
    on

Hi – I’m in my second week and I’ve come across Oomi noodles in Tesco. They are a sustainable white fish protein noodle (GF). High protein, low carb. I know the low cal konjack noodles are okay in Pho soups etc, so would high protein noodles be okay do you think? I’d really like to just have some noodles (cooked with some chilli, garlic, ginger and coconut oil etc). So, anyone an Oomi eater?

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Starch and sugar are on the ingredients list. That’s a deal-breaker for me, but I’m very strict about avoiding sugar. There are 6.2 grams of carbs (1.7 of them sugar) per 100 gram serving. It’s not clear to me how many servings are in a package as the labelling on their website is obscure.

I prefer the high fiber noodle options like kelp and konjac, but again, I have a very low daily carb limit (20 grams) and do not eat anything that has sugar and its tricky little friends ending with -ose on the ingredients list. If you’re keeping to 50 grams or thereabouts, the Oomi noodles seem like they’d be a reasonable option. Nice protein numbers (11 grams per 100).

• posted by Kitt
    on

Thanks for your thoughts Esnecca. I’m very new at trying this and want to keep carbs low – not super sure what is the devil amongst this lot – is it the starch, stabliser or yeast extract…? I’ve copied the ingredients from Tescos: Fish Protein from Alaskan Pollock (Fish) and/or Pacific Whiting (Fish) and/or Hoki (Fish), Water, Sunflower Oil, Starch, Soy Protein, Milk Protein, Sugar, Egg Albumin, Salt, Colour (Carotenes), Stabiliser (Xanthan Gum), Yeast Extract

• posted by Esnecca
    on

The starch and sugar are the bad carbs. There doesn’t appear to very much of them or else the carbs per serving would be higher. Like I said, I’m very strict about cutting out added sugar and simple carbs like starch, but many people on this forum take a more flexible approach and have done great.

Have you set a daily carb maximum for yourself? A lot of BSDers aim for 50 grams because that seems to be a useful boundary line to get your body into fat-burning mode rather than carb-burning mode. If you have blood sugar issues (I’m insulin resistant), you might want to aim lower. Once you decide your limit, then you can determine whether something like the Oomi noodles will fit in your menu plan on any given day.

I use MyFitnessPal to log what I eat, plan meals and count the calories, carbs, protein, fat so I don’t have to rely on estimates and approximations. You pick the ingredients from their enormous database and the app does all the counting for you. That way you can be precise about what you’re eating without having to tons of math.

I know it can seem a little daunting to get a grip on all this in the early days, but once you know what you’re aiming for in terms of carb intake and with the aid of apps like MFP or FatSecret, it gets easier very quickly. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Kitt
    on

Thank you so much, I will try MyFitnessPal – I think that could be of great help. Thanks for the wisdom ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by SoulfulSunflower
    on

Hi there, would love to find some friends on My Fitness Pal – I’m on day 8 of BSD and have lost 7.8lb so far. I am hoping this is it now for life – I have half my body weight to lose – about 8 stone in total, so taking it half a stome at a time. I’m BeautifulSunflower on MFP (optimistic for the future!) – if we could connect that would be such an encouragement ๐Ÿ™‚

Judith

Ps – konjac and oomi noodles both sound interesting – will check them out.

• posted by Kitt
    on

Hello! I didn’t end up joining My Fitness Pal as they wanted access to my contacts and I didn’t want that. So I just use the general access for calorie counting through MFP. I’m on day12 and I’ve lost 11.9lb so far and I’ve a fair way to go too, so I understand – it’s encouraging to see the scales move down for a change ๐Ÿ˜€ Enjoy your day!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.