ONWARDS into OCTOBER : One week at a time beginning 4th October 2022

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Well October has most definitely started now and we need to knuckle down as we approach THAT TIME OF YEAR .You know what I mean !

The thread was a bit quiet but thank you as always for continuing to comment and keep things going .
    Welcome Ani74 !
    Thanks particularly to SG who is a total inspiration for anyone dealing with a diabetes diagnosis.
    So sorry, Verano to hear you have been going through a sad time .

Hubby will be out of the physio rehab centre tomorrow with ongoing physio sessions locally, a lot close to home.

If you are a bit up and down, a bit lacking in motivation and commitment , just do your best to keep going without entirely losing the plot !
    Keep posting ,folks and don’t give up!

Wendy, sunshine girl and Sunny B ( who should be back soon !)

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Wendy, and welcome to anyone who wants to join us.

My dieting has gone right off plan. Think it is because I know I have a night out coming up and don’t like that interruption. Not explaining very well but think it is if I cant stick with it I cant be bothered. Need to get my head in the right space to I have come up with a plan.

Already proved that having small cheats (flexible dieting) doesn’t work for me. I am all or nothing. So I am going to relax for this week and then on Monday I am going to go back to square one and start the BSD800 just as I did 6.5 years ago. That gives me time to get the foods I need and always being prepared with healthy snacks. When I am serious nothing can get in my way. That will take me up to a week before I go to the UK for Christmas and hopefully that one stone lighter.

Still doing well with the BG numbers. When I say I am not sticking to the diet doesn’t mean I actually allow carbs into my mouth. No way, that is not within my diabetes plan. I am still on track for giving up insulin. BG this morning 90 (4.8) on just 7 units of insulin, did a post meal check – immediately after lunch BG 150 (8.1) and remembered to tell my machine that was a post meal reading so it doesnt tell my off for being too high. The top tolerance number for post food is 180 so I am well within that.

It is 25 degrees here today and my pool is 20 brrrrrrrr.. Do I go in – I will let you know. Anyway, I am going to get on with some more painting. I am doing another copy of an Afremov painting. A rear view of a lady in a beautiful flowing dress with a parasol. All in abstract colour, just lots of flashes of colour.

• posted by RubyG
    on

The scales were not kind this morning:
    Hubby 16st 4.0lb and me at 12st 8.4lb – both heavier than summer 2021, a few pounds here and there have started to add up. For both it has been larger portions and in-between snacks have become the norm again, we both had a few drinks last week while we were away, a couple of meals included carbs plus 1 dessert each – ouch!
    I have skipped breakfast for a 16 hour TRE yesterday and today, veg soup for lunch with a measured portion of 20g feta cheese, and rabbit stew for supper tonight (cooked last night).
    Like you SG we need to go back to what we did 2 years ago (yes really, 2 years since we started on this journey) .

on

Just so glad you are still here with us Ruby. Just because things are not what we would like right now doesn’t mean we have given up. I certainly haven’t and, just by being here, neither of you. Oh and you don’t want to be scouring around those charity shops to buy back your hubby’s clothes do you 🙂 Take a deep breath, re-read the book and start all over again. We can do this.

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks for your message Wendy and hope hubby’s rehab remains on track
    S-g you made me smile …… “don’t want to be scouring those charity shops to buy back our old clothes”. …… you know I think we can all relate to that!
    Sorry if I don’t respond to all the posts.
    We were due to go away in the last week of September but that’s now moved to mid October. Really looking forward to 10 days away and after our last trip I realise I really don’t like refined carbs ……. pizza, desserts, toast etc etc. because I ate far too much of that stuff !! They just don’t taste as good as normal blood sugar feels!!!
    Anyway, have a good week everyone, we can only do what we can do (no guilt) and try to make the best choices we can …… can’t ask for anymore than that.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

After my good start getting back on track, I wandered off in this past week. Meals out, some wine etc are my weak excuses. And I was hoping for some mild and sunnier weather as that always helps me stay more focused. But we are in for more cool and wet weather – and sadly more flooding for those in parts on NSW and Queensland.
    Today looks OK so far – some canned mussels for brunch/lunch (I like them but I know others don’t! 😁) – and dinner is an already made chicken curry ready for when I get home from work.
    I like your quote Verano! carbs “don’t taste as good as normal blood sugar feels!”
    🌺🌼🌺

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

We often talk about the use of sweeteners here – and if they help or hinder. There was an article in the Guardian today about at BJM report on a study done in France. I doesn’t seem to mention stevia and monk fruit which I think of as “natural” sweeteners – but aspartame gets a bad wrap (as I think used in Diet colas etc):
    From the article: “Artificial sweetener consumption was linked to a 9% higher risk of cardiovascular disease, the BMJ reported. When researchers looked at specific types of illness, they found artificial sweetener consumption was linked to an 18% higher risk of cerebrovascular disease – conditions that affect the blood flow to the brain.
    A specific type of sweetener – aspartame – was associated with a 17% increased risk of cerebrovascular events, while acesulfame potassium and sucralose were linked to increased risk of coronary heart disease.”

• posted by RubyG
    on

The scale this morning read 12st 7.0lb which is possibly a more accurate reading after the bloat and carb water-retention from the weekend – that is half a stone heavier than I am comfortable with, and a stone heavier than I want to be, so I need to sort myself out!
    TRE again today (day 3 this week) with veggie soup for lunch and chicken stew for supper.
    It is feeling very autumnal today, leaves are falling, grey and windy.
    I am travelling abroad for 4 days next week, not good! My usual approach is a bit of a soldier mentality – eat what is available, when it is available – that’s not always useful and usually ends up in gaining weight. If I can reframe my thinking to a fasting mode when food is not available, maybe next week can be managed.
    Like S-G mentioned, I am a bit all or nothing too. I think I have previously said I’m better at abstinence than restraint, especially with cheese and nuts………………so I just need to remind myself of that when I reach for those nuts.
    Have a good week all.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Merry- great article 🙂
    Never been a fan of artificial sweeteners myself, but really thinking very much about processed foods extra hard as in the middle of reading The Obesity Code- e.g. making soup today- everything from scratch except the stock….I am thinking to get making stocks on weekends after roasts on the bone a bit more.

Thanks Wendy, SG for the thread 🙂
    Wendy- glad hubby doing well with the knee x
    Love to all xxx

• posted by RubyG
    on

So far this week has been a lot more focused, scales read 12st 4.8lb so that will be the carb water gone then 🙂
    We had a lovely chicken stew for supper last night, and I focused on smaller portions and froze a couple of portions for hubby to have while I am travelling.
    TRE again this morning, Day 4, with a planned veggie soup for lunch and not sure about supper yet (that’s where the danger lies, when I haven’t planned my food).
    Re. the sweeteners discussion, thank you for sharing. I also don’t like any artificial sweeteners. I picked up a copy of The Obesity Code at a charity shop recently, not started it yet though.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

You amaze me RubyG – so good at getting back to focus. Soups, as Tulips says, are a great way to fill us up and also get lots of veg in. Planning is key I think – I try to map out the week. But it must be so hard when you are away for work so often – I know that if I’d had a busy/stressful day while away then planning fell by the wayside! 🤣🤣

• posted by RubyG
    on

I’ve always been a bit of a comfort eater, and never understood those people who say they can’t eat when stressed!
    Working from home with hubby since Covid hit, I have realised that he also eats when stressed/comfort eats. As part of this week’s back-to-basics, I suggested his now-nightly square of dark chocolate could go back to being a weekend treat…………….that did not go down well, he had a bit of a sulk, tried really hard for half an hour, and decided it was too hard, so had the chocolate 🙂 I guess there are worse things he could be eating, it is 90% Lindt dark chocolate so has its own benefits too.
    I am dreading the week away next week, hubby will be sorted as I am filling the freezer with single portions of stews, curries, soups, etc. I will have to cope in the outside world 🙁
    Oh, and today’s lunch is now egg mayo salad – for some reason I am craving egg mayo with green chillies, so the soup has been frozen for another day.

on

Hi everyone, good to see some good conversations and varied subjects. Ruby, seem like you have already got your dieting head on. I think I will start today – already been super good – rather than waiting for the weekend to be over. So that’s Sober October a few days late.

Had a very nice meal last night. The aperos were a bit naff, tiny squares of white sliced bread spread with a variety of toppings, hummus, tapanade etc but I didn’t touch them. They had a couple of bowls of green and black olives and they were delicious with lemons and limes in the mix with olive oil and something spicy. Then we sat down for the meal and it was a very large bowl of butternut squash soup with croutons and lardons. I had a few lardons but I really couldn’t eat all the soup, it was as much as a main course for me. Not surprisingly (been here before) we had chicken supreme with some crunchy vegetables and dauphinoise potatoes which I had a taste of but only a small amount. The dessert was very nice, nougat ice cream with chantilly cream on the side so not very carby but a bit too sweet. Sorry but I ate it all. So that is my one and only treat meal until the end of the year. Funny thing is I lost half a pound. It will probably crop up unexpected in a day or so.

I wore the same dress I had on for daughters wedding and could see a difference with a tummy and a midriff I had managed to lose now back on. So a further incentive. Also want to get rid of that ‘obese’ tag the doctor gave me. I am 31 so only just into the obese range – I dont think doctors in the UK are allowed to say that word any more but it is a good kick up the bum.

Need to get my exercise DVD’s out. I did swim 2 days in a row which is probably why I have lost weight. It was ffffff reezing cold but so refreshing.

Have a good rest of the week.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello.
    S-g I adore olives too! I buy the Real Olive Company olives when I can. They have a wonderful selection and although they’re a bit pricey, I’d rather have just a few of theirs than ‘more’ of the run of the mill ones. I used to buy Fragata, which I loved, but then was alerted, by a review, to the fact that they had MSG in them. Why????? Anyway, I don’t buy them anymore.
    Today I started to listen to Robert Lustig’s ‘ Metabolical’ again. I find ‘listening’ to ‘scientific’ books much easier than reading them. Sometimes I forget that I eat this way for overall better health and not just to regulate blood sugar and lose weight, and boy, is this book an eye opener…… processed/ultra processed food = poison!
    I think reading this sort of book, or similar articles, every now and again , really reminds us how far away from eating ‘real foods’ we’ve gone. Our lives can so easily be ruled by ‘convenience’ foods, ready meals and junk food that we forget that ‘real’ foods are so much better for us. OK sometimes we don’t have the time to spend on preparing meals from scratch but bulk cooking and freezing when we do have time, could just be a saviour.
    “Planning is the key” … as Merry said.

on

Hi all, just had a lovely freezing cold swim. Good for the circulation and makes you feel alive. Just realised Elle-Mae (where are you) you will have seen my stupid photos on FB.

Not exactly being strict but I have still lost weight. Going back to plan number one. Relaxing over the weekend then getting serious on Monday. Already bought sugar free almond milk, 2 packs of frozen berries (raspberries and strawberries) and a bag of baby spinach leaves. All ready for breakfast smoothies. Going to re-read the BSD this weekend just to remind myself, especially think I will follow the set menus for a couple of weeks to get back on track. I have just been typing a recipe from the 8 week BS diet book and the poor thing is nearly falling apart. Well used and well loved.

Have a great weekend.

Forgot to mention, I will be using my new air fryer for my Sunday roast. I could also do some roasted potatoes for hubby but, come to think of it, we havent got any potatoes. We never think to buy then, not even for hubby.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Rotf 😁😂😂😂S-G. I feel like you have just caught me having a sneaky snack of 2 spoonfuls Greek yogurt mixed with a spoonful of peanut butter. For some reason I always want a snack on a Friday afternoon after having been in the office. So that is my go to, at least it’s filling and not as bad as a biscuit etc.
    I don’t think I could do a cold swim brrr. You don’t look silly (just wearing a hat/tree 😜).
    Fiance just got a letter to say from his x-ray his hip has got a lot worse so now we have to wait to see what they will do about it.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

I have just realised that I have managed to maintain my weight loss for a year (well on the 18th) something I didn’t believe I would ever be able to do. There are ups and downs by a few lbs but you have to live. On which note we are off for a few days in Edinburgh in just over a weeks time.
    Lots of love to Verrano, Ruby, Tulip, Wendy, Merry and Lauren x

on

Elle, I didnt have any control over where my tree is growing and also useless at selfies. Have a great time in Edinburgh.

Hang on, whats rotf – okay found it on Google

• posted by RubyG
    on

Well, I ended the week at 12st 4.8lb, not where I want to be yet but moving in the right direction again.
    Mussels and razor clams for supper last night – yum!
    Frittata for breakfast today, with ruby chard from the garden and some crumbled feta.
    Lunch is a tomato/veg soup, maybe some chorizo or nduja with it.
    Supper is a weekend treat (low carb, not low cal) of a fire-cooked sirloin steak with a rocket and blue cheese salad 🙂
    I moved a ton (1.2 cubic metres actually) of logs which we had delivered, so that was a good workout, and this afternoon I plan to plant bulbs for some nice early season colour in the garden. This morning felt very autumnal and quite cold and damp.
    I just need to keep away from the snacks and keep myself busy over the weekend, and remember my why next week when I’m travelling.
    Interestingly, the Daily Mail had an article last night that from next year the NHS will start to prescribe a very low cal diet of soups and shakes and 850cals per day in an effort to reverse pre-diabetes and T2 diagnoses. That is good news, but the article didn’t mention low carb within that 850cals, which Verano and S-G, and my hubby to a lesser extent, have shown is key to keeping the blood glucose levels low.
    It’s 2 years this month since we started our BSD journey and definitely one of the best life decisions we ever made.
    I just need to keep reminding myself that I have no restraint and am easily distracted by good food.
    Have a good weekend everyone.

on

Hi all, well done Elle for maintaining. That is pretty much what I have done for around a year, sometimes creeping up but immediately get serious and lose again. Only dithering around 2lbs.

Well done RubyG thats 3lbs. I myself dropped 2lbs in the last few days – might it be the cold water swimming, supposed to be really good for circulation and fat burning. I will be baking an imaginary cake to celebrate your 2 years.

I saw the NHS diet – like they actually invented it, apologies to Prof Taylor – I might be good as a first step but we know that it gets rather boring which is why Dr Mosley devised the real food version of 800 cals. Breakfast this morning was grilled plums marinated overnight in olive oil, lime juice, cinnamon and a touch of stevia because they were quite sharp. Then fried halloumi and bacon salad for lunch with an Actimel for gut health – although not sure how many bacteria survive to the gut. Tonight is hubbys go to cook and he is doing a beef stew which will only have onion and carrots as carbs. Not bad considering I am not starting the real diet until Monday. This is what I call having a weekend off but might have a cheeky glass of rose.

I am just writing a new menu plan to start on Monday. I was going to follow the 8 week BSD menus but France only does seasonal foods so no way could I get asparagus tips except maybe frozen. So I am doing it all from scratch but using his menus to give me ideas. Monday is spinach, almond milk and raspberry smoothie, lunch of warm chicken salad and a low carb Bolognaise for dinner. Comes in around 700 cals and that includes a 10g square of very dark chocolate. So really getting down to basics. It worked before. I think I lost around a stone in the first 8 week round. That would be great.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Congratulations Elle-Mae 🥇🥇🥇 🎈🎈🎈 on maintaining for a year. That takes persistence and planning – and what a rewarding feeling. Wishing you another fantastic year.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Thank you Merry 😁

on

Dont know how it happened but I have lost around 3lbs over the weekend. As I said before, maybe it is the cold water swimming or even the fact I have been swimming almost every day.

Started on my serious BSD 8 week plan today with a spinach, raspberry and almond milk smoothie at around 70 calories, I think I am going to be getting those hunger pangs and will need to drink plenty of water. I have never suffered from carb flu and I have never eaten lots of carbs, even before I did BSD. So hopefully I will be spared that.

Have a good week and KOKO.

• posted by Verano
    on

Sunshine-girl … WELL DONE! 3lbs is brilliant.
    S-g you mention that over the last few weekends you’ve enjoyed some ‘treats’. I truthfully believe that our bodies really get completely used to our routines. I think if you throw in a few curved balls now and again it helps the body reset itself.
    I’m not suggesting full on carb eating for a whole weekend or more, but I think a few carbs, not ultra refined, included here or there, or a few g&t’s ‘shake’ our bodies up.
    Talking about ultra refined carbs I was reading today about ‘quorn’ and other meat substitutes. . If you read how ‘quorn’ is produced you’ll never eat it again, red meat is healthier, at least it’s a ‘natural’ product!
    So many veggie/meat free products are so processed so that they taste/smell/feel like meat that really you do yourself no favours turning from ‘real’ food to ultra manufactured alternatives.
    Personally I like to add puy, or other cooked lentils to my minced meat dishes ….. bulks them out, not only cutting down on the red meat, but also adding fibre! Win win situation really.
    Anyway, just a little food for thought!

on

Hi everyone, we haven’t forgotten to set up a new thread. Wendy is currently in transit and I am cooking dinner.

Will be back later for a new and exciting week. See you later.

Please log in or register to post a reply.