ONE WEEK AT A TIME Make a pledge for a week !! beginning 19 th November 2019

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Let’s keep going for another Week !
    I have pledged to give up nuts for a Week . Please come and join in so we can continue to support each other

• posted by foodislife
    on

Hi, newbie here. I am just starting Week 2. I am devastated to say that there hasn’t been any weight loss. I haven’t gone outside 800kcals and not had any carbs like potatoes, rice or pasta. The first 2 days were hell with hunger and headaches but I stuck with it and it has got much easier. But I expected to see a big fanfare of loss on the scales. This doesn’t bode well for long term use. 🙁
    Any one experienced the same?

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi. I won’t be joining in this week but just wanted to say ‘have a great week and stick with that pledge. It’s just seven days!’

• posted by Elky
    on

Hi Wendy, I’m in for another week. Not adding anything new, just sticking with my daily meditation and HIIT 3 times a week. That’s definitely ambitious enough for me! Kafin is in with me too.

Foodislife, welcome to the forum! I’m sorry to hear that week 1 wasn’t successful for you. Can you perhaps give us an idea of what you are eating? You said that you’re sticking to 800 calories and avoiding carbs like potato, rice and pasta. That’s a big step and a great achievement, I hope you’re pleased that you’ve been able to stick to that. In terms of the lack of progress, are you actually tracking your carbs using one of the many free apps available like MyFitnessPal? I think most of us have found that carbs can lurk in the most unexpected places. So it could be that you’re accidentally still getting a very high level of carbs in your diet. Also, are you drinking lots of water? Many of us find that does actually make a big difference to the rate of discard. As I say, if you’re able to give us a little more information on what you’re eating, I’m sure there are lots of people here who’ll be able to offer some suggestions for fine-tuning.

Cheers, Elky

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi guys and thanks Wendy for starting this weeks pledge❤️ I am giving up alcohol this week! I have told my OH that we are all going to the gym Friday night and if he wants to go to the pub after he can go on his own😂😂. Bless him! Well done to us all I say for a pretty good first week.

Hi foodislife and welcome to our merry little gang🤗. Sorry you have not had any success in your first week. I am sure if you give us some more details like Elky said we will be able to help. I take my hat off to you for sticking to it even with the headaches and hunger pangs. You will learn to embrace the hunger one as you will know when you are hungry it will be real hunger and not fake I am going to eat because I am bored hunger pangs❤️ I know you said you have cut out pasta and potatoes, have you also cut out bread and bread like products? Have you been drinking up to 3 litres of water each day? Do you still eat low fat products? Each of us is different but the basics are the same. When most of us started we used and still use My fitness pal like Elky mentioned above and it has kept us on the straight and narrow as food we eat may seem ok but it is the amounts we are eating them that stops the weight loss. So by using the app and weighing everything we get a clearer picture of where we need to improve and where we are getting it right. Water is a huge part of this Way Of Eating and if you are not drinking at least two litres a day or three is better then you are not flushing your body through properly. Whenever my water intake goes up I discard more and I think that is the same for most of us on here. Please don’t lose heart we are here and we will help in anyway we can hun, we all started where you are now and I know if it wasn’t for this forum I would have never got through the beginning. Let us know what your eating and we will fix it. Good luck and welcome again. Birdy 💞🦜

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi all. Thanks Wendy for setting this up. Good to hear that our first pledge week went pretty well. I stuck with no wine all week, but was ambushed by a G&T on Wednesday. Still pleased, and will stick with that pledge this week, and add …no salted peanuts and drinking more water. Lovely to see you posting again Birdy. You brighten my day! Elky I am very impressed by your 3xHIT. None of that “just” please! Very best wishes to all for another committed week.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Wendy, thank you for setting this thread up.

I am going to stick to logging daily intake again, and I am going to try to move from cream in my coffee to adding salt. – I have read that dairy can cause an insulin spike for some people and I want to see if cutting out the cream in my coffee over the course of a day will make any changes.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all, still on an exercise pledge and manage 4 days a week at 50 mins each session plus the occasional walk so I am doing okay. Got in 50 mins this morning. Still had no November weight loss but after some small cheats over the weekend, mainly wine related, I have had no gains either so I am starting from a good place.

• posted by Izzy
    on

hey everyone. I’m going to continue to try and re-establish this way of eating into my life, but my main pledge this week is to be more pro-active with my fluids. I’m bad at forgetting to drink.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thanks for keeping us on track, Wendy and starting the weekly thread. Welcome Foodislife and the advice offered by the other thread participants should help, but we’re here if you have any questions or need support.

I have decided to continue with my exercise pledge for this week too. I’m finding that although it is only a little each day, it is making a difference to body tone and how I’m feeling. It is a bit of a whimp out though, as I know what I should be pledging is to get back to track daily intake at 800/20. Have a lot of pre-xmas stuff happening over the next 3 w/e’s though, so have decided hold off on that until early Dec, as I’m managing to maintain, even if it is at 7lb above target weight!
    Have a successful week working with your pledges everyone.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Just wanted to say hello to everyone and wish you all a successful Week.

Foodislife..it’s early days so don’t get discouraged .Keep going. Your body is going through carb withdrawal but it will ease and I am sure you will soon see some results on the scales. There is no magic number to expect after the first Week, as far as I know ,but please think long term..it will be worth it.

I will be interested to see the results of your coffee and salt experiment, JGwen .I do like a little splash of cream in my coffee. My dairy intake is not just limted to the cream though. I do enjoy my Greek yoghurt too. Maybe giving that up will be another weekly pledge !!

Hope you have a good Week, Izzy. I find it useful to have a big jug or water bottle always visible so I don’t forget to keep up with my fluids. Without the constant reminder it’s easy to forget. I take a big flask of green tea into work too.
    Hi Elky, Birdy, caronl, SunnyB and Sunshine girl, our lovely regulars .
    Anyone else want to join us ? xxx

on

Another 50 mins exercise. So why am I not losing weight. Breakfast today was Greek yog with one passionfruit and a sprinkle of almond flakes. Lunch 2 slices ham with half an apple and a 40g chunk of Cheddar and tonight it is the usual empty the fridge frittata. Hey ho. I cant give up as I have a medical appt in 4 weeks and must keep the BG steady (it is) and lose some weight.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone. Im glad to see everyone is still setting goals.Im still slowly discarding and although not exercising everyday.I am more active.My biggest challenge is every 3 days I seem to give in to a craving.yesterday I wanted a piece of toast with butter and vegemite and I resisted till about 4 o’clock
    I really enjoyed it so I had another after that the urge to snack got worse and a few plainsweet biscuits later I decided to have dinner.I know when Im tired I give in more easily and I tell myself life is too short to denie myself.This type of thinking has always been my problem.So thats my challenge for this week .To stay on track for more than 3 days with no giving in to cravngs.best wishes to you all.

• posted by Elky
    on

Hi everyone

I thought I posted yesterday but for some reason it didn’t register. Maybe I hadn’t logged in? Who knows.

Anyway, I’m still here 😊

Caronl, thank you for your encouraging words about my exercise regime, that’s really kind.

JGwen, I am also interested in your salt in coffee experiment. Is it primarily about the taste, or are you seeking to increase your salt intake and the coffee is a good vehicle?

Good luck to everyone with your pledges,

Cheers,

Elky

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Elky,
    The reason I have been experimenting with coffee with salt is that I have gone back to logging daily intake and realised that with winter and drinking more coffee than water, the amount of cream I was going through a day was adding up on calories. I want to make a push to reduce body fat have read that dairy can cause an insulin spike in some people. – I find black coffee too bitter, but read that by adding a pinch of salt to coffee it changes the bitterness taste. -Apparently our tongues have different sensors, and a pinch of salt effects the message that our taste buds send.

It does work and it also makes a smaller quantity of coffee enough to satisfy as a drink.

• posted by Elky
    on

Thanks JGwen, that’s really interesting about salt altering our perception of the bitterness of coffee. I’m lucky because I quite like black coffee, but I’ll try the pinch of salt just for a change.

Does your reading indicate that *all* dairy has a similar insulin impact on a susceptible person? I ask because I have a vague memory that I read somewhere that cow’s milk products are a bigger issue than, say, goat’s milk products. And that softer cheeses have a bigger impact than harder cheeses. But I may not have understand that correctly, so I’d be really interested in your view.

Cheers, Elky

on

Still sticking with it and doing regular 50 min exercise routines. Been sticking to plan and managed to get my weight back down to what it was this time last week so have lost 3/4lb but promise myself not to ruin it by slipping up over the weekend. I have no social plans so have no temptation. To help with my pledge I have told hubby I will not be having wine with meals but he is welcome to, just hope he doesn’t bother. It doesn’t really bother me as he drinks red wine and I dont like it and prefer but I would just rather not have any excuse. So now I am going to keep on keeping on…

Have a good weekend everyone.

• posted by ckb19
    on

hi
    Just started 8 week diet today having been given an Hbaic result of 46– 2 away from diabetes and hopefully this is the wake up call i need to stop piling on the pounds.
    shopping sorted, gym joined. Now just need to not give up after few days which is my usual result.
    interested in the salt thing and the mindset of one week pledge, also in the threads i have read about this diet helping with depression.
    good luck everyone

• posted by wendleg
    on

Too weary to post last night…Thursday is a long day but I have perked up now . I am still nut free but my dark choc has re appeared albeit 95 %. I love it and fortunately I can’t scoff the whole bar !!! ;-)!

That’s a good plan,Butterlover. If you can resist the carb cravings that will be a tremendous victory. You have highlighted the danger moments ….so you can be prepared . I remember a little voice telling me I ‘deserved ‘ a treat after a hard day ….but that led to another and another….a constant battle. Maybe have a healthier snack available if you desperately need something but tell yourself toast and biscuits are not doing you any good and denying yourself those foods is to do yourself a favour ??
    All the very best with your pledge xx
    Good luck with a wine free weekend , Sunshine girl . Fantastic commitment to the exercise routine !

• posted by wendleg
    on

Welcome ckb19. You have made the right decision to take charge of your health. We have all been in that place ,piling on the pounds as you say but this way of eating can end that vicious circle of dieting and not seeing lasting results. Stick with us and shout out if you need any guidance . You will find all the support you need on here. All the very best xx

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi everyone..I just weighed myself, screamed glanced in the mirror and screamed again..sat on the bed and gave myself a good talking to about how I need this WOE now I’m ready to go!! It’s 8:30am here in Oz soooooo I’m thinking I’ll keep myself occupied until I feel that hunger is really there before I eat..
    I recently had a kidney stone (OMG was that a cruel painful thing) and so to avoid any more I’m drinking for Australia..well nearly, but I’m upping my game and will drink more.Ive also been told by the urolohist to cut back on the protein so that’s gotta happen. I know I can do this as like I said in the pledge page, I did it before so I’ll do it again.I am determined.!!!
    I’m over beating myself up over falling from grace..I’m suffering from it.ie weight gain, pain in my knees and big toe(dunno what that’s about) so I’m going to fix myself..now I’ll shut up and let someone else have a turn at talking 😁

• posted by ckb19
    on

Thanks for that welcome wendleg. So day 1 done and no cheating so far. Very hungry now ( a sensation I haven’t experienced in a while!) going to bed soon so I don’t weaken. Food nice though.

on

So nice to getup on a Saturday and find I have lost (just 0.1kg so not much) when I would normally have had a small gain. Hopefully will be down even more by Monday. Just 3 weeks to doctors appointment and full blood test. That is my current motivation plus a nice dress for Christmas day.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi again ckb19. You know…I never knew what it felt like to be hungry either as I grazed and chomped my way through the day ! I welcome the sensation now . Don’t be afraid of it .You are re training yourself to appreciate your healthy food choices. All the best !

• posted by ckb19
    on

Yes trying to embrace the hunger feeling. Nearly finished day 2. I can’t believe how much better I felt on waking this morning. Can’t believe it can have made a difference so quickly , but hey if it’s in my head and I feel good I will take it! Lost a pound which is great although trying not to get toooo obsessed by the numbers as I have a long way to go- about 100pounds I have never taken part in a forum before but finding it really helpful. Friends sometimes have other agendas

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi again Waitaminute. There are quite a few lovely Aussies on the forum and this thread in particular so you are in very good company !
    Don’t shut up 😉 Keep talking to us . You are determined ..you know why you are doing this and you will get where you want to be . My hubby had a recent gallstone inciident and yes,it was excruciatingly painful. You can do this Waitaminute !

Ps is toe pain a sign of gout ???

• posted by wendleg
    on

That’s great ckb19 ! You should see a decent loss as you start out and reduce the carbs and not having moments of sluggish fatigue is wonderful too .Keep going .There are lots of people on here who have had spectacular results ….you can get there too ! I did log all my numbers as I started out..I liked seeing them going down and it’s a great motivator.I have been here for 14 months now so the habits are well established but I did like filling in my notebook every day with my foods and reference to recipes, reading materials etc.
    Jason Fung has written two very informative books which I found invaluable amongst others…..
    The Diabètes Code and The Obesity Code which explain the role of insulin in weight gain.
    Glad you find the forum helpful 🙂

• posted by wendleg
    on

Your weekend is going well sunshinegirl …and I assume the wine is not calling out to you too loudly ? Hubby went to a domaine for a tasting today and has stocked up on suppllies to take to the Uk for Christmas. Maybe he will try for dry January …hmmm ….

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Thanks Wendleg ..I forgot how quickly my body and probably everyone else’s can feel a whole lot better just in a couple of days of eating properly. My toe pain has all but gone.. I’m hoping it wasn’t gout , my knees are still a bit achey still, but heaps better than the last few months and I woke up not feeling like I’d ran a marathon..I’m soooo happy. I haven’t ventured towards the scales since the other day and I’m not going to give it the satisfaction of me standing on it a number of times hoping that it might be wrong..I will weigh myself next week sometime and hope the numbers move in a downward direction ☺️ If not then I know I’ll need to try a bit harder instead of beating myself up over it. I’ve had hardly any carbs in the last 2 days, I’ve cut out all the nasties like bread, potatoes, etc .My carbs have come from veges instead.I probably should cut my cup of teas down to 3 cups instead of five and drink lots more infusions and plain water in their place.No not probably I WILL 👍😁.
    I have lurked around these forums for ages and have loved how everyone here are so encouraging to each other. Everyone needs positive encouragement and you ladies and gentlemen are great..thank you for welcoming me here and I know I’ll be here long term this time. 😁😁😁❤️ PS as you can see I can talk and talk !!!

• posted by ckb19
    on

Hi waitaminute
    I too am on day 3 and my leg pain is a bit better already and waking in the morning feeling different. I can’t stop myself weighing daily as it’s such a motivation 3.4 pounds in 2 days in the diet. So far following menu plan to the letter ( except skinny coffees -with a little sugar. I know I have to stop it but can’t. I too have ‘hovered’ round forums but really feel this will keep me going past my usual few days of a diet then stop! It’s a real support knowing other people are going through same thing and hearing from those that have achieved their goals on this diet. All the best with it to you

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi ckb,
    I am determined not to get on the scales just yet..it’s hard tho..there not too long ago nearly everytime I’d go into the bathroom I’d step on them and got to the point of even taking items of clothing off just to make the numbers move down a bit !!!! How sad is that 😂soooo now I’m going to ignore them calling out to me and only weigh myself once, sometime next week.We can do this ckb, good on you for discarding 3.4 pounds in 2 days that’s great 🍭☕☕(I was looking for fireworks emoji things and couldn’t find any so coffee and a whatever that windthing is will have to suffice in cheering u on ) 😁 night night xx

• posted by ckb19
    on

Hi all
    Can I ask the veterans of the diet how much weight did you lose in the 8 weeks please. Forgive if this is not the done thing

• posted by ckb19
    on

Thank you waitaminute. Yes I have been victim to scale obsession. A ‘good’ or ‘bad’ result affecting my whole day.
    I think I need it for motivation at the moment but would like to get to a place of weighing once a week. Yes come on let’s do this both of us. I have about 100 pounds to lose! My week one pledge is to stick to the plan with no cheating. I have always tried to do everything all at once before exercise/mediation/diet etc etc with an all or nothing approach. I think I have finally emotionally matured enough to be more realistic and forgiving to myself

on

ckb19, on my first round of the BSD800 I lost a total of 13lbs in 8 weeks and went on to lose 28lbs in total. If that doesn’t sound like much it is probably because I didn’t have that much to lose, just 3 stone so I got within 1 stone of my goal. Unfortunately, I am one of those who let it slip. I always stick to no carbs as I am diabetic and know what they do to my blood glucose. However, there are other things that can gain the weight and my downfall is wine.

Happy to report a further loss and no alcohol this weekend and only tonight to go. Wendleg, the funny thing is if I dont drink and say I am not going to, I dont miss it at all. If I decide to just have a couple it leads to a bottle so I am my own worst enemy if I go there. We too have been stocking up on goodies to take back to the UK. At least we are okay with the exporting regs for a few more months so daughter has ordered 4 dozen bottles and we always take a few boxes for the 3 parties we will be having.

• posted by ckb19
    on

Thank you sunshine girl. Yes I am fine with no alcohol as long as I have none. Even one glass and I then turn into party mode! It’s got easier as now alcohol triggers migraines so good incentive to not have it well done on your weight loss 28 pounds is loads !

on

hi ckb19, I wasn’t aiming the alcohol comments at you, it is just a comment on my pledge for this week – no alcohol. However, if it is also your trigger, glad to be of help.

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Good morning and another day of feeling better 😁. I don’t drink much any more, not because I don’t like the taste of a few glasses of wine or vodka and lemon squash but it doesn’t agree with me anymore. I very quickly start to feel yuk starting with a headache then a general feeling of just feeling awful,like a hangover before the hangover if u know what I mean. If I don’t dose myself up with paracetamol BEFORE I drink I feel even worse. It’s crazy ..must be an age thing with me because when I was much younger I could drink half the night and feel great the next day 😕..
    In answer to your question cbk I lost 12kg in 6 weeks last time I did this diet not a whole lot to lose but it made a great difference to my life. I felt fantastic then I don’t know why I thought I could go back to eating rubbish but I did and suffered so I have noone to blame but myself.
    Being 5′ ( I’m sure I was 5′ 1″ once but the dr and tape measure says I’m not 🙃😕) anyway even carrying a bit of extra weight makes me look like a beach ball ..I’m 59 and I know I’ll never look the same at this age as I did 20 years ago but I’m going to feel as good as I did back then and carry the same amount of weight . Have a great day everyone 👍😁❤️

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone, especially ckb19 and Waitaminute ! Love your determination ! So glad you are feeling positive and motivated. I never weighed myself more than once a Week…and often even less frequently these days. It dépends how the numbers make you feel, I suppose but you wll definitely see good results as you continue keeping the carbs low. Keep drinking too , ladies. Yes, watch the sugar in your skinny coffee ckb19. Try to see sugar as toxic to your body , not a friend. That works for me anyway 😉
    To answer your question ckb19, there is some discussion in Michael Mosley’s book that you can discard 10% of your body weight in the 8 weeks. I discarded 9 kilos and I started at 16 stone/ 100 kg although that was not my heaviest I reckon. I am now hovering around 11 stone/70kg ( and have been for a long time !) but for me it was always a long term project , looking further than the initial 8 weeks. Now it’s for life 😉

Well done on the no wine weekend , sunshing girl.I suppose I am lucky in that it holds no appeal for me, as it definitely makes me feel yucky quite quickly, like you ckb19. Unfortunately choc and nuts don’t have the same effect 😉

Where is everyone ? Missing your posts 🙁

• posted by ckb19
    on

Thanks waitaminute
    12kg is amazing in 6 weeks.
    I am 55 soon and feel I really need to take control of my health now
    That’s exactly how I am with drink. Used to bounce back but now just feel too ill on it so don’t bother.
    Just finished dinner on day 3. Feel like a lump of cheese but resisting. Hard cooking for the family as well. Going to plan next 3 days of menu to motivate myself. All best wishes to all

• posted by ckb19
    on

Hi wendleg. Don’t know why I find the sugar in tea and coffee the hardest to give up. I am down to half a teaspoon now ! I started at 16.6 stone I hope I manage a good loss like 10% as it is such a motivator seeing it go off quickly. I have lost 4.6 in 3 days. I am enjoying taking the time to prepare meals instead of grabbing quick rubbish. I am seeing it as me placing value on myself ! That is such an inspiration that you have got down to 11 stone and kept it there I do need to see this as a long term thing. Thanks for the time

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone. I wrote a longer post on the monthly blog.about my progress.
    Ckb19 I had a problem giving up sugar .so I bought the sugar in sticks so I had a consistent serve.then I went to half a packet and changed to half strength coffee.Then I set a date when there is no more sugar thats it I vowed not to buy any more.Im now 2 years sugar free.I read a post about being determined and serious about good health and taking ownership of our issues and it really helped.so I suggest that you set a date and get it done.cheers lynne

• posted by ckb19
    on

Thank you Butterlover. Sounds a good plan. I think I have been trying for 20 years to give up sugar in tea. Compared to the cakes and biscuits I ‘used’ to eat it didn’t seem the biggest thing but I know it keeps my sugar ‘addiction’ going. Will write a withdrawal plan !! Cheers

• posted by wendleg
    on

I love the advice you are getting ckb19 ..it all makes sense. My sister was like you..just having half a teaspoon of sugar in her tea.Till she came to stay with us this summer that is…as I literally do not have a grain of sugar in the house !! So she had no choice but to go without 😉 😉 I’m awful I know !!! It worked though…she found after a few days that she had no desire for the toxic white stuff !!
    I’m a bit radical in my approach but I think it is a question of changing our mindset around certain foods …that have always seemed cuddly and comforting chums when in fact they are doing us a lot of harm . Good on you for giving up the cakes and biscuits !!

It most definitely is about valuing yourself and doing the best for yourself . Yes, it cannot be anything but a long term thing, I believe .Initially I assumed I would get to the end of the programme and start eating introducing carbs again but it absolutely does not work like that and I realised , thanks to the advice of our lovely experienced members that it means a total overhaul of our eating habits. That might sound daunting as it did to me but to be honest I really do not have any carb cravings now and am satisfied with more delicious foods which do me good. I’m worth it …and so are you ckb19 🙂 😉

• posted by wendleg
    on

It’s Monday evening here , time to set up a new weekly thread.

Please come and join me. I am going to pledge to be good to myself , to continue to make healthy choices and respect my food. That sounds a bit pompous but being good to ourselves is our sole responsibility xxx We can only do this if we want it enough xxx

• posted by ckb19
    on

Thank you wendleg
    Yes loads of good advice
    Finding day four today the hardest but sticking to plan so far
    I like the idea of pledging to be good to myself. I am going to pledge 10 minutes of ‘headspace’everyday for a week

on

Hi all, hope you had a good weekend. I have had a successful one and will report in tomorrow on the new thread. My pledge is to continue doing what I am doing as it is working.

Please log in or register to post a reply.