One week at a time beginning November 24th 2020

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

I was just thinking… I am getting a bit stronger every time I do my pilates, surprising myself with small improvements and victories. I can roll up without collapsing in a heap although nowhere near strong enough to support my weight on my elbows for certain movements .

But as you know I am a stubborn plodder and never give up.
    So let’s continue and celebrate our victories, however small… it all counts !

Now my parcel of French goodies is all sorted and ready to post I have more time and I promise to be more active this week . I shall find a daily motivating item to keep us all focused . You gave me the idea Tulip !

Would love you all to keep plodding with me !
    love
    Wendy xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Here we are . Sorry to those I didn’t reply to individually last week . I will do better this week xx

SunnyB
    Merrymelba
    Niamh and Dean ( Neegan)
    EC
    Caronl
    Clarinet cathy
    Bryla
    Windyjulz
    Georgiejeorge
    Olive 1
    Puddy
    Dreamscometrue
    Gattina
    melH
    rosyapple
    LovesGroodles
    timetochange
    Patricia
    Articfox
    Double Dutch
    PTR
    Britta
    Film24
    Rebeccakershaw
    JGwen (of course !!)
    PlumpGoose
    Russianroulade
    DebbieDarko
    weebleswobble
    nicoles212
    Steviep
    Zuzuvela
    Frog
    GreenGal
    EachPeach
    SusieMac1957
    Limes254
    Butterlover
    PhoenixBurns
    Quetzal
    Waitaminute
    Riccoh
    Tulip1 (Clare)
    ADD6605(Dawn)
    Gyllb
    EllieAllegra
    Roheryn
    AuroraB
    Sweetgirl
    BlueSkyz
    Karenwm
    SusieMac1957
    Jeremy Fisher
    ClemFlo
    LR800
    Eowyn
    Kevlondon and Mrs Kev
    Scubado
    Lulu16
    Shammy
    sunshine-girl !!!
    Beattie66
    2eviltwins
    Violinist ( Catherine)
    Sarah 1968
    Angelsand
    Lecurie
    Choccybuttons
    Sonz
    AnnieW
    Sixturkeys
    Urchin
    Delabodge( Clive)
    Calliope Swan
    O2BSkinny
    Ghudugi
    PSL68
    EclecticRajistani !!!
    Lily
    Luella
    Mumof4in France
    GardeningChef
    Gill33UKS
    Squidge !!
    No more banquets
    Weightykaty
    Petiteketo
    Humphrey1
    The other me
    AMZ !!!!!!!
    Gooner
    Justjudy
    mumofStig
    Missamd9
    Peanutbutty
    Sunnysideup
    Stephen J
    Fattystar
    1960smp
    Nhatha 3432 (Nick)
    Happyseaswimmer
    TJ
    Reuby 19
    Zoelazer
    Rainey
    Gordosh
    Mifoz
    Energisedby800
    James3891
    SamG67
    SusieQ102
    Rainydays 42
    RubyG
    Shally
    LA

• posted by RubyG
    on

RubyG and hubby still here, week 5 and keeping on!

My weight is the same as last Friday (we weigh Fridays and Tuesdays) but still 1.4lb down since last Tuesday, so week-on-week I’m down which is good.

You have reminded me I need to get more active again, I have been very lazy in that regard. I was doing some online yoga (Youtube Yoga with Kassandra) and when I do it often I feel my strength build with each session, but it’s probably been 6 weeks since my last attempt, so I plan to do a class this afternoon (even a 20-minute flexibility class will do me good at this stage). There, I’ve said it now, I’ll have to go through with it 🙂

Have a good week everyone!

• posted by Gattina
    on

Good morning all, hope everyone is keeping well. It’s a cold crisp morning here in ‘ole London town – perfect weather for a nice long walk.
    I’m in for another week. This week I’m down 5 lbs making a total loss of 13.5 lbs. I now weigh 16st 1lb and I’m below the weight I was in January. My lowest weight was in March at 15st 4lb so I still have a way to go to get back to that but I’m pleased with my progress so far. Blood glucose is going down slowly – I have a blood test booked on Thursday, I’ll get the results next week so I’ll know where it’s at.
    I’m used to the meal replacements now – it’s no fun and some of the meals are really horrible, the better ones are OK but I wouldn’t describe any of them as good. Still, I understand the benefits of replacing actual food and just getting the weight down – there were a few evenings last week when I was craving something and had there been food in the house I would have caved in just as I have done many times before. But this time I have cleared the cupboards so there was nothing to snack on – I had no choice but to just stick to the boring shakes. My supermarket shop consists of bottled water and cat food – so no temptation there! 10 more weeks to go on the meal replacements and then I start introducing food…I can’t wait.

Well have a good week everyone and I look forward to hearing how you’re getting on
    KOKO
    x

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone !

Hope everyone is feeling ok ?

I thought I would test out my Motivational Moments today ! These are videos or links that I have saved which I found useful to build up my knowledge and maintain my mojo.

This is a video ( about 10 mins) by Becky Gillaspy which discusses snacking , best choices if we have to snack, the effect of artificial sweetners, total v net carbs…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75cMxbw9lGI&t=315s

It’s easy to watch. The products mentioned are American. I for one have never heard of beef sticks ???

The message I take from this is the importance of avoiding ‘sweet’ even sugar substitute products … and the need to crack the sweet tooth.

I will post more if you think they would be useful

xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi RubyG and well done on your continuing determination with your hubby . I used to do a one on one yoga class with my lovely teacher ( I needed help after a hip replacement ) . We haven’t been able to see each other during lockdown and I feel I need guidance with yoga.
    I have mentioned this before but I have discovered online pilates which is compatible with yoga. . The workouts can be as gentle or challenging as you like and they can be 10 minutes or much longer according to your needs. It’s really easy to fit them in to a day. I actually enjoy them which is a bit weird. There is a whole series of them for flexibility, core strength or even for lower back pain or knee issues. I am definitely feeling stronger and less creaky .

Here is the link to The Girl with the Pilates Mat on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIfUrFyAWGeB6kMaEVRqR5Q

Sunshine Girl does a more aerobic workout and she can tell you more about that .
    To be honest RubyG I have never been a gym bunny. I have been doing aqua gym for ages and yoga as I mentioned . I never thought I could enjoy a work out session on the mat in front of the telly but there you go ….. 😉

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Gattina ! Crikey that shows great staying power with the shakes , well done you ! I started out at 16 stone , probably more because I was in denial . I shed 5 stone of that and feel much better, fitter and younger even . You can do it Gattina and well done on resisting temptation. I would find it really hard not to have lettuce or at least something to chew on so you are amazing !

I am sure you will have great blood sugar results too and you know exactly why you are doing the programme.

We’ll help you every step of the way . What will you do at Christmas I wonder Gattina ?

• posted by wendleg
    on

Just a shout out to our lovely US members . How are you feeling about Thanksgiving ? I remember reading something about managing those festive events ( another one to dig out !!)

• posted by wendleg
    on

Thinking of you Rainey preparing your family celebration ! xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Here is the article I found which discusses how to manage the festive season. At least there won’t be any parties in my part of the world ! It’s from Megan Ramos .

It’s time to think about the Holidays! Between October and January there are literally hundreds of different celebrations around the world. As is customary, most revolve around family traditions that of course involve eating. This post isn’t about the evils of carbs. We all know what the science says about refined carbs. The point is how will we address the onslaught of all of them. This isn’t going to be a debate about whether you should or shouldn’t indulge. That choice is yours and yours alone. IDM isn’t the food police. We aren’t going to come knocking on your door to see what your choosing to put in your mouth. So what is the point? The point is to make a plan, starting now, on how it is you’re going to handle it all. I posted earlier about my plan. In my family there are certain traditional foods that we only get once a year. I have used this plan for the last 8 yrs. I started it on my first journey through Weight Watchers. My very first leader made a statement at Thanksgiving time that has stuck with me since and gets me through any challenging time. “The first bite is the best bite, after that, we’re eating to just eat.” Think about that. True isn’t it? That first Thanksgiving I used that statement as my guide. I knew the foods that were most important and I made my choices accordingly. I chose to eat my families traditional stuffing, which is a rice based stuffing. Instead of having 3 servings of it like I would have other times, I had one. I was satisfied. I forego the bread and the potatoes, because frankly I could eat those any day of the week. I filled my plate with the veggies and the turkey. I was more than satisfied. I also contributed to the meal things I knew I could eat.

This year my plan is the same. I’m going to contribute foods I can eat per my plan. I’m going to focus on the protein, the veggies, and the healthy fats. I’m going to have a small portion of the stuffing and my favorite pie. The difference this year is I have another tool in my arsenal. It’s called fasting. So, I will fast during the week leading to Thanksgiving, and I will fast afterward. The impact will be minimal if at all.

The Holidays in December are a bit more difficult because we’re faced with parties throughout the month, some last longer than a day or two. There’s all those food gifts we receive too. What do we do? Planning! That’s the key. We have to determine what’s the most important event, meal, etc. Everyone’s choices will be different. As I’ve said before there’s no one way to do it. We have tools to use however. Let’s face it, totally abstaining from indulgences probably isn’t a good strategy. Why? We know that total restriction will usually blow up in our faces and we’ll end up binging and totally blowing it. So having a plan is always best so we are making the best decisions we can. Celebrations are a fact of our lives and Dr. Fung has made it clear they should be enjoyed. They will be a part of our lives forever. So why not find a way to participate with the least amount of damage? Let’s reflect on our traditions. Which are the most important to you? What foods are involved? I know very few that don’t involve food let’s face it! What tools do you have at your disposal to deal with it all? Fasting is our greatest tool! It’s the one tool I now have in my arsenal that will keep me on the road to achieving my goals.

My plan for December to January is to work my fasting schedule around events. I’ll fast before, I’ll fast after, and during I will decide ahead of time what my indulgences will be. Megan Ramos in her recent Q&A talked about setting strict guidelines for ourselves. I call them my rules. I’ve had rules for myself for years where dieting is concerned. There are certain rules that have stuck with me whether I’m dieting or not. For instance, I have a no night time eating rule. I stop eating at a certain point. For me it’s usually by 6 or 7. I have another rule that certain rooms in my house our food free zones. It keeps me from grazing and mindless eating watching TV etc. Think about the guidelines you want to set for yourself to get through this holiday season. What are your triggers? What can you do to maintain control around all the temptations? How many carbs will you allow? How much protein and fat? One of the biggest issues I think at this time of year is what do you do with leftovers, especially if you’re hosting? The last time I hosted I packed up all the food and gave it to my family to take home with them. I left nothing around to tempt me. I love to bake and I bake all the traditional cookies at Christmas time. My exception now is, I don’t eat them. I pack them up and I give them away. I give them to my friends. I pack up platters and deliver them to the staff that takes care of my mother. I still get the joy of baking them, but I also have the added joy of giving them to others. Let them worry about eating them right?

If you google how to survive the holidays, you’ll come up with various strategies like dieting during the week and indulging on the weekends. Focus on the people and not the foods. Make the occasional party the exception to your diet not the rule. Volunteer to host the party so you have control over what to serve. Don’t go to a party on an empty stomach. Choose wisely from the available foods. Eat slowly and mindfully. My favorite is to keep a glass in your hand full of water and stay far from the food table. Ever notice how people congregate around the food? Maybe you’ll choose to try some new Ketogenic friendly recipes and make some new traditions. There are many more suggestions and perhaps we can come up with a list of our own. My recommendation for all of you is, think about your plan now. It’s not too early. Arm yourself with that plan and make it a rule you have to stick to it. You have to decide now what the acceptable outcome is for you come January when it’s all over. Are you ok with a gain? Will you be happy if you just maintain? Do you still want to continue to reach for your goals and have a loss when it’s all said and done? There’s no right answer to those questions. It’s what will work for you.

Additional Note: You are all aware about IDM’s recommendation on sweeteners. You also know that Dr. Fung has stated very clearly that life is to be celebrated and enjoyed. The holidays are a part of life. This is a debate about are they good for you or not. We all know that answer. This is about a personal choice of whether your indulgences will include them or not. It’s a personal choice. It’s not a right or wrong choice. It’s about making a decision, for yourself, what you can live with and how you’ll handle it afterwards. Let’s talk about some ideas and help each other handle the toughest time of the year!

Additional Resources:

https://idmprogram.com/how-to-fast-and-feast-for-thanksgiving/

https://idmprogram.com/thanksgiving-weekend-top-4-holiday-eating-strategies/

LC Thanksgiving Recipes:

https://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/low-carb-keto-thanksgiving-recipes/

Festive Beverages https://idmprogram.com/festive-beverages/

Surviving Holiday Parties https://idmprogram.com/surviving-all-of-the-holiday-parties/

• posted by Butterlover
    on

HI Everyone.Im slowly discarding .continue for another week. Some progress with smaller clothes and lower glucose levels.I hope you all have a good week

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all, happy new week to you all. Thanks for the shout out and starting a new thread Wendleg. I have had a successful weekend with no off plan treats (wine or vodka in my case) and have stayed at the same weight I was on Friday. It is a little disappointing as it would be nice to have lost something. Whenever I feel despondent I look back at where I have come from. When I started this bout of weight loss I pledged 9.5 lbs by Christmas as that amount would take me to a new goal weight. Anyway, today I am only 1.75 lbs away from that goal. Maybe I can do even better in the next 4 weeks.

I did 30 mins aerobics yesterday and today I was humming and ahhing but as soon as I pushed the coffee table to the side of the room (space for me to jump about) I was immediately in the mindset to exercise so did 30 mins today. The things I like about the particular programme I am doing (Sean T HipHopAbs) are that I can do it in my everyday clothes so no changing into special outfits (I do still shower and change later), there is no getting up and down on the floor and getting out mats etc, it is all done standing up but you are still exercising the core with the movements he does. Then finally, it takes 30 mins and I sort of watch the countdown on the screen thinking after 10 mins that I am aready one third done and so on. The other thing is that my favourite routines with him are in the 2nd half of the programme so if i was getting fed up the best is yet to come. Because I have made the effort to exercise I am confident the weight loss will follow as dieting alone for me doesnt work as my body is so used to being low cal low carb it just needs a few more calories burnt to make a difference.

Talking about plans for the festivities, today we popped out to our local frozen food store (Picard), I guess a bit like Iceland in the UK but a lot smaller. We picked up what we actually went for but decided to look for treats for that time of year. Hubby likes his cakes but the patissierie here in France doesnt keep well so if he bought a cake or lemon merigne pie or something he would have to eat it PDQ and all to himself so he has treated himself to a box of mini cakes that are frozen. He can take them out one at a time when he fancies and I could maybe have one as a treat. We also bought some bits for a thai meal – chicken nems, satay chicken on sticks and a couple of bowls of wonton soup. Thing is they only come to around 380 calories for the whole meal and it will be something different when we fancy a special night in (not that we are going anywhere). Not bought anything for the main event yet as we can get a takeaway pre-cooked 3 course meal from our local butchers or from the Michlin star restaurant not too far away. Waiting to see their menus.

Who has put up their Chrissy decs. We were going to start this weekend but the car refused to start and hubby spent 2 days getting the battery out and charging then getting it back, then out again on Sunday to finish the charge (really need to clear out the garage) and then back in again to drive to the local NorAuto to get a new battery. It was heavy work so he was not in the mood for putting up decorations. Have a great week everyone and take care.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thanks Wendleg and S-G for the continuing inspiration.

I’ve never been a gym bunny either, but did used to do a kettlebell class over lunchtime at work ages ago, and a yoga class after work for the past few years – obviously with the offices closed and everyone working from home, even without national lockdowns, those have stopped.

I will take a look at the Pilates class (the ones on offer at work were quite expensive so I never did give them a try), but I committed to doing so, and I have – a 20 minute Yoga with Kassandra for strength and flexibility completed after I logged-off this afternoon. It felt good, but I can’t believe how feeble I felt, but I know that will build. My aim for now will be 2 classes per week.

Keep on keeping on everyone.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thanks too for posting the festivities planning as a reminder.

We get a goose every year (already ordered, may just be the 2 of us eating it, but who cares) and I have decided that I will have goose-fat roast potatoes on Christmas day, but not make enough for 3 days! Veggies will be sprouts and red cabbage as usual. I will not, however, be making Christmas cake or Christmas pudding, nor will hubby be making pannetone. Instead, I am going to order some fantastic British cheeses from Shepherd’s Purse and have cheese no biscuits (unless I try some keto cracker recipes) as dessert. Alcohol will be consumed, of course, but I have not had a drop for 8 weeks now, so I won’t be drinking much or I’ll fall down 🙂

I quite like the idea of fasting before and after, and am still trying to decide if I’m willing to re-home a few lbs which then need to be shed again, or how much damage control I can cope with. On a positive note, I know I can do this.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Thanks RubyG I have just seen your post about cheese making . I have printed it off . I have citric acid and some rennet but I still need to research a bit , waiting for a book to arrive .

We are lucky to have lots of free range poultry where we live and lots of farms produce geese , chapons , guinea fowl , turkeys etc ( although the farmers tell us turkeys are fragile birds) so we can get good quality produce. Wild boar is available too. We also have lots of very good cheeses . Hubby will be hunting down Stilton again.

SG … is your workout on a DVD or a youtube session ? I will check out your guy. I sympathize about your car woes . My turn for a full service last week and hubby tomorrow so we have to go out again . We don’t need to go shopping after last week’s expedition. I went to the farm tonight and was delighted to find rocket, lambs lettuce, spinach , black radish and parsley . I munge on a crunchy black radish as a snack . I know I’m weird ….;
    No, we haven’t put up any Christmas decorations …..

Waiting for Macron to make his announcement .

Back soon. All the best to everyone . Hi Butterlover ! Good to see you again this week . Hi Julz !!! xx

• posted by Gattina
    on

Good morning all. Lots of positivity on here, I’m liking all the home exercising it’s inspiring me to do some. I have a couple of DVDs; yoga for weight loss and pilates for weight loss but they’re both really difficult and I just get demotivated because I can’t do them, so I need to try something simpler until I get stronger.
    Wendleg thanks for posting the article on surviving festivities – really useful. I usually spend Christmas with family and it’s the usual eat-fest starting Christmas Eve going on to Boxing Day, then I come home and continue to eat myself silly until New Years when I start my obligatory new year diet again! I always do some baking, the old family favourites which everybody loves. This year I’m torn between going to stay with my brother for a few days, which I would love to do or staying home for a solo Christmas and maintaining my meal replacement diet. I don’t want to undo all the good work I’ve done so far but a few days off plan surely won’t be so bad…and I now have that useful advice in the article to follow. With everything that is going on staying home by myself would be the safer option and I will emerge at the end of Jan a slightly slimmer version of myself, but how miserable will that be…
    I’m off to the optician today, my eye test is overdue and I feel I may need a new prescription.
    Have a lovely day everyone, keep up the good work.
    x

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Gattina
    First of all please don’t feel demotivated if you can’ t do all the exercise moves. I remember the time when I could barely get down on the floor and my belly hindered many movements. That doesn’t mean you have to give up. You can start with gentle stretching . Rachel ( The Girl with the pilates mat ) insists that you should just do what you can, building up slowly . I have said before that I am nowhere near ready to chuck my legs over my head but I surprise myself being able to do more and more as I try every day, even if it’s only 10 or 15 minutes. Just give it a try Gattina .

As for your Christmas festivities . I think being on your own would be a bit grim. Can you not find a compromise … ie having a couple of days off the meal replacement shakes but eating low carb real food ? This is only my opinion but you are in the early stages of the programme and if you go completely off plan it could unlease the carb monsters to reak havoc on your success so far . So plan maybe to have the protein , lots of green veg , but ruling out any heavy white carby foods which will make you feel very bloated and sluggish. I think allowing too many carbs would just be a slippery slope to January misery . Treats don’t have to be spuds, buns and cakes , they can be delicious smoked salmon , oysters, crispy lettuce, berries with a rich luxurious cream and some very dark choc ( that would be my treats of choice anyway 😉 )
    It depends how important it is for you to eat the same food as your brother or if you could adjust by not eating certain foods
    You said “a few days off plan.”… yikes that would need planning .

I don’t want to put a dampner on celebrations . .. you have to decide Gattina . Think long term xx We need to reach a time where food is not fearful. So…we can choose what we eat , mindfully not just stuffing ourselves silly . The food will always be there , you don’t have to worry xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh and a visit to the hairdressers will be possible from Saturday, yippee !

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi Everyone,

What a great thread, loving the motivational bits Wendleg!

I exercise nearly every day, and my usual week consists of a) 2 live zoom zumba classes a week with a really hot Venezualan instructor 🤣, so lots of latin style, I love dancing!! And a couple of my friends do the class too, b) 2 runs a week (I am on week 6 of c25k) and c) the other days brisk country walks…this all keeps my mental and physical health on track 😍

love to all xxxxx

on

Afternoon everyone, lovely day here and just hung out my washing. One of the pleasures of living in a warmer country – 16 degrees today so not exactly hot.

I seem to have had a lot to say for myself on here lately, to me it is everyday drivel but I have heard to some it is inspiration. Someone asked how ‘I do it’. I think that refers to me losing 7.5 lbs nearly reaching my 9.5 lb goal. First of all it was a long term gently does it goal. I am not in the phase of this diet where I want big losses. I have managed to get my weight down to a level I am nearly happy with. I am still overweight – in fact my wii fit says I am obese but I am only 4’11” so I just need stretching out a bit. One thing that has helped me has been lockdown. Often I lose half a stone then go to my daughters for a week or two and come back having to start again from square one – take note Gattina!!! None of that this year. I have been aiming for this goal since the end of August when I was supposed to be spending a week in Spain with said daughter and grandchildren. We didnt go but daughter went to Denmark for a week of beer and bread as she calls it. I got her to record the 21 day diet that Dr M had on TV which she did and I joined her. So that was end of August so not a quick fix weight loss for me. Having said that, I have managed 7.5 lbs and my daughter, who did great in the 21 days losing I think just under the stone, she is now – oh wait for it – 2lbs heavier than her original starting weight. I dont treat this as a diet I go on and off. For me, and a lot of diabetics, this is a way of life that controls my diabetes with the added bonus of some weight loss. Before any newbie gets disheartened, yes I lost loads in the first 8 weeks when I started and then more over the following 8 weeks. I have put back a small amount, about half a stone, but always stick with the low carb and NEVER eat white starchy carbs. I am in my 5th year on the diet so dont expect great losses. Anyway, I have been able to have this small spurt of loss due to not having anything in my way ie. parties, trips, meals out. I havent let lockdown get me down and run to the fridge although I do have the occasional weepy time. Enough said.

Gattina, I know you are on the meal replacements and good for you for sticking with it. On the subject of Christmas, for heavens sake, go and spend it with your brother. You dont say if he has family, wife, kids etc or if it will just be the two of you. Please dont be lonely at Christmas if you have an alternative. No diet is worth it. However, I would suggest you just go along with a massive bag of sprouts (or whatever) and join in everything except the carbs. I wont be having the mashed potato, the roasties or bread sauce but I might allow myself a bit of sage and onion stuffing. There are compromises to be made. What advice have you had from your team running the diet plan you are on. Surely they dont expect you to stick to liquid. Then remember Christmas is just one day, one meal and need not go on for an eating fest. Things are different this year, you wont be getting lots of invites and parties etc so you wont be resisting the mince pie fest starting at the beginning of December. Again, this year Christmas can be just one day shared with loved ones.

Next, on to my exercise programme. Wendy, I have a very old DVD of Sean T. Dont know if you know the name but he also does the Insanity DVD which I believe is really really hard and not for me. I have never been one for the gym unless it has a swimming pool but I do like to do something and I find walking a bit boring and not worth the few calories involved. I do enjoy a long trek to somewhere new, something with an interesting end point like a castle or caves or something like that but right now walking is not for me. I dont use the YouTube programmes but have looked them up and there are lots for all ages an abilities from chair exercises to going mad jumping out of your skin exercise (no thanks). You just have to type in – exercise for an unfit 67 year old roly poly – or something like that, and lots of things come up. I do use one yoga lady and she does a 30 day for beginners which progresses over the month. Her name is Adriene.

I think that is enough from me for now. Except – enjoy your hairdo Wendy – I cant get mine done as my lady has had to go back to the UK for a while as her father has pancreatic cancer and I wont go anywhere else. Counting my blessings.

• posted by Mifoz
    on

Good morning all,
    Lots of posts with some great reminders and info for me. I’m having a slow week, but I know it’s because I’ve been slack on the exercise this week. I’ll be good today and pop on a YouTube workout later. It’s going to be a hot one here in the mid thirties, but luckily we had a new air conditioner installed last week. I’ll jump and jiggle in front of it, I think.

Christmas festivities are on everyone’s mind by the sounds. I’m feeling keen on Christmas this year, even though I’m usually a bit of a grinch about it. I’ve even ordered some new decorations online. I think it’s because we already had my in laws’ get together so it’s just my small extended family on Christmas Eve, at my sister in law’s house, then Christmas Day which is also my birthday, just the four of us at home being lazy. We will do a glazed ham on the smoker (hopefully no total fire ban) and lots of yummy salads. I gave up on traditional roast dinner feasts years ago, because it is just too hot and everyone gets frazzled. I like things low key. Luckily so do the kids these days.

on

Hi all, looks like I spelt my exercise gurus name wrong, it is Shaun T. Looked on YouTube but it shows his exercises in 1 to 2 minutes blasts and they are the really hard ones which I dont do. If you are watching Im A Celebrity…… Beverly Callard is my other exercise guru and I have her DVDs which I have had for around 25 years and still use. I had them in video tape and then upgraded them to DVD a few years ago.

Just keeping on with the plan but I ordered some supplements which are supposed to help with blood glucose levels and cholesterol. I wont name them or recommend as I dont know the effect yet but have taken 2 so far (1 per day) and my BG was down to a very low 66 this morning (3.56 on the other scale). I will keep a careful eye with a view to reducing the amount of insulin I am injecting but it is early days. BTW I got the advice from one of Dr Becky Gillespie’s videos and I trust her.

Anything else, no not really although I have lost a further half a pound but not quite enough to take me under the 12 stone mark – just. Maybe next week.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone ! Love reading your daily posts SG and you definitely are an inspiration. Yes, I saw Beverley Callard discussing her keep fit videos on I’m a Celebrity . I am enjoying that sort of frivolous viewing right now. Very interesting results from yor supplements. Keep us posted . How is your daughter coping with Tier 3 lockdown ? Same in my area of the Midlands too. I am waiting for the hair salon to open to nab an appointment …

Went to get hubby’s car from the garage after additional work . The girl in the office joked about retired folk having lots of time to make crèpes (!!) I am not very competent in crèpe making but decided to take her a Golden Syrup pudding ( Delia Smith’s recipe) because we had an ageing tin in the cupboard . Steamed it in the slow cooker for 4 hours, took it out, wrapped it in foil and that was it. I honestly wasn’t tempted to even taste it which I consider a small victory for this former sugar addict.

I like the sound of your hot Venezuelan , Tulip ! I love Latino music ! Can you share a link ? Not sure my undercarriage could cope with Zumba but I will enjoy watching 😉

Wishing a very happy Thanksgiving to anyone celebrating xxx

on

Hi all, still doing okay but slowly slowly. Still quarter of a pound from my next stone goal and dont want to mess it up so will have to be extra good over the weekend. Daughter is okay with tier 3 as she works from home anyway, her partner does too now and the boys are still going to school which was the hardest to bear – home schooling. I tried helping 12 year old with his French and I dont know who got fed up first, probably me. Finding my French is slipping with hardly speaking to anyone over the last 9 months although I always manage when I do speak. Kicking myself when I was talking to the girl on the checkout and I used nous instead of on – rookie mistake that you will understand Wendy whereas people learning the language will have learnt nous. Shame they dont teach ‘real’ French in schools (in the UK) so we wouldnt have had to re-learn it.

Anyway back to daughter, she is more upset about all the hoo haa around Christmas. She is planning on having partners parents for 23rd and 24th with just her partners children because her kids will be with their dad. She refuses to have them for Christmas Day as that is our day on zoom and she doesnt want anyone taking the limelight away from us. Love her so much. Sob…… Anyway they are being very sensible with only 2 people joining them. Partners sister, hubby and little ones were supposed to be joining but they too are being very sensible as they also want to visit an elderly relative on the 27th so they are not happy to have mixed with too many people. Great to know people are being sensible but I am sure there are lots who wont be. Please be safe everyone. Christmas is just one day. Enjoy the weekend everyone.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone !
    Hope you have a good weekend SG . Hubby is going to his local restaurant for a takeaway moussaka tonight, the highlight of his day. I was delighted to get him an appointment at the barbers next week . Hope I can get an appointment soon too.
    I am not getting worked up about Christmas SG . There will be calls to the family spread over the UK, Australia and Greece . That’s just the way it is …. You will have a special moment with your daughter . She will be busy but not too overwhelmed which is good. I think she is absolutely right to be sensible. There will be other occasions.

Still waiting to hear about Tulip’s hot Venezuelan 😉 I did a live pilates sessions this morning and sent a message on the online chat which followed, saying how much I enjoyed the session. I got a shout out and felt like a celebrity !!!!! 🙂 What have I come to ??? Hee hee
    Lots of love everyone ! xxx Have a good weekend xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Here’s another motivational message I saved

Remember your why. Health, weight loss, freedom. Fitting into old clothes. Looking fabulous in new ones. Getting off medications. Living a long life for your children and grandchildren. Nothing dulls the hunger pangs faster than remembering the amazing benefits you’re getting from this lifestyle.

• posted by wendleg
    on

A piece of wisdom from Zoe Harcombe

“If you can harness anger to good effect – be angry that food manufacturers are doing everything that they can to get you to eat as much of their rubbish as possible. They are advertising to you – overtly and subconsciously; they are working hard to make their products irresistible and moreish. Be very angry about this – not just what they are doing to you – but to our next generation. Be determined not to give them a penny of your hard earned cash – you can then gain health and wealth.”
    ― Zoe Harcombe, Why Do You Overeat? When All You Want Is To Be Slim

This is particularly relevant to the excessive festive ‘goodies’ in the shops right now ?

• posted by Gattina
    on

Happy Saturday everyone
    This is a great thread, lots of inspiration here – it’s good to see everyone getting on with it.
    Wendleg I’m loving all the motivation – really helpful and thank you and SG for your responses and advice. I have decided I will be spending Christmas with my brother – I saw a news item yesterday about train fares going up and tickets selling out for the 5 day reprieve over Christmas so I had to make a choice whether to book tickets before they sold out or risk staying home alone. My brother lives by the coast in Sussex so I’ll be heading there on Christmas Eve and back home on 27th. It will mean being off my meal replacement plan, but I have heeded your advice and I will be sticking to the low carb sensible eating plan. My brother makes a lovely spinach and courgette bake with parmesan and ground almonds – I’ve asked him to make it as the main veggie option for Christmas day which I can have with loads of vegetables on the side. I have a video call with the weight management clinic on Tuesday – I’ll be able to ask for their advice on negotiating Christmas.
    I put some fairy lights up outside this week – one a tree in the front garden and some shrubs in the back garden. My tree will go up next week, I’m determined to wait to December. I love Christmas decorations, candles and twinkly lights – I still get very excited when the tree goes up.

Keep going everyone, I love hearing all your updates.
    x

on

Hi everyone, all is going well, hope it is for you too. Gattina, so pleased you have sorted Christmas, couldnt bear to think of you being on your own. No-one should be but sadly at this time it sometimes cant be helped. We are holding a zoom lunch on Christmas Day and hubby has just had his new laptop delivered so wont see him for the rest of the weekend. Hope it is better for zoom but really think we have terrible internet speed at less than 2 whatevers. He has time to practice.

Wendy, hope hubby enjoyed his moussaka – I love aubergines now they have had the bitterness bred out of them and no need to salt and soak. Not many people know that and still avoid eating them. I love to soften slices in the oven then leave some in for longer to turn into crisps. We have a take-away TexMex van in our village every Tuesday, a traiteur called Stephane which posts a meal a week for home delivery every Wednesday (this week it is pot au poule) for 9€ and a local restaurant that publishes its menu for collection food every week. Not tried any of them yet as I am always watching what I eat but I really should as I am fed up of thinking about what I am going to make. Dont seem to get around to doing my weekly menu and now tend to just go by what is in the freezer. So I find chicken and cant think what to do with it so just make a sloppy mess of some sort. Really need to get my cooking mojo back and start planning again. Think I will give the restaurant a try, at least they have a full menu i.e. 5 mains to choose from. This is a close to takeaway as we get although Ste Foy McD do order and collect. For those who dont know Ste Foy la Grande is our nearest town, very small community.

Had a lovely face pack today and skin feels silky soft. I have loads of stuff and hardly ever use it – I am always saving things for another day – about time I just used things.

It is 3 weeks to my next medical check up so want to be super good so everything is in order and especially my weight. Want to be less than last time. Since lockdown I have gone from 79 to 78 to 77 and hope to be 76 or less (currently weight 76.5).

Have a great weekend everyone and keep on keeping on…

• posted by wendleg
    on

Happy Sunday everyone . Like SG I am relieved to hear you have decided to spend Christmas with your brother, Gattina. The alternative would be unthinkable and you sound very happy with the meal planning. Have a lovely time.
    SG you inspired me to put some aubergine in the oven with some roasted tomato and parmesan cheese. I am like you , it’s easy to just grab some fish from the freezer and steam some green veg. Hubby is more adventurous as he enjoys his hearty slow cooked stews .

It’s all quiet here . We walked up the hill to our little village shop yesterday to get a few provisions and keep the business going. I was pleased to walk without a break and not feel out of breath so maybe my daily exercise sessions are reaping benefits in my fitness.

I spoke to my boys this morning ( in Oz) and they are busy planning their Christmas trip down to Melbourne and then Tasmania. That made me think of Merry Melba and Erin ( EC) I hope all is well with you ladies .

That goes for everyone who hasn’t checked in lately . I hope you are all ok ?

It’s a strange time of year for me. I can’t get very excited about Christmas I’m afraid as we can’t travel, our families are spread over different countries so it will be a bit of a strange one. I refuse any Christmas pressure with the crazy rush to stock up with tons of food so it will be a simple affair . I will make an effort to wear one of my silly Christmas jumpers and pudding earrings . It will all be ok !

Glad you enjoyed your pampering face treatment, SG . You most definitely should think of yourself and use your lovely things. You are doing really well and I am sure you will be congratulated on your upcoming trip to the docs.

Lots of love everyone x

• posted by wendleg
    on

Here is something I agree with although I don’t really like the use of the verb “cheat ” I am an advocate for abstinence because that works for me ( with most foods) Got to get the choc sorted

Cheating by having a bite here or a spoonful there is also an excellent way to suffer withdrawal in perpetuity. Withdrawal will not end if the substance is constantly being reintroduced back into the brain reward pathway.”

― Vera Tarman, Food Junkies: The Truth About Food Addiction

on

Happy Sunday to you all, relaxed a little last night and consequesntly had a slight weight blip, not enough to worry about but enough to teach me a lesson. It will be gone by weigh in on Tuesday. BG’s are getting quite low and I have had to reduce insulin shots from 28 units to 26 and will see how it goes. Still not sharing supplement I am taking as I am not sure how safe it is but if you want to decide for yourself watch Dr Becky on 9 Ways To Naturally Lower Blood Sugar.
    Good news, we received our Michlin star restaurants Christmas Day and New Years Day menus. I dont think I will be doing any cooking at all and it means we wont have lots of left overs. Also the portions are quite small although there are some miniture cakes to have with the end of meal coffee -lickle baby ones. Quite a bit of fish on starters but also a cauliflower dish so will swap fish with hubby or, what the hell, just try it. It is 7 courses for €65 for Christmas and €85 for 8 courses for New Year. We are going to order both and treat ourselves royally.
    Such a beautiful day here I am seriously planning a walk after my coffee. See you next week.

• posted by Nixi
    on

I have a question. I’ve noticed that, like me, several people here enjoy their alcohol. I’ve been a fairly regular drinker while on the BSD but now and then decide to take a break. When I do, despite then taking in fewer calories, my weight always goes up by a few lbs. It does seem to settle back and I start losing again after 3 – 4 days although it always scares me. Has anyone else had this experience and/or does anyone have an explanation for this?

on

Hi niki, it is possible that because the alcohol is dehydrating your body is hanging on to fluids for a few days after intake. Plus a few drinks can be loads of calories with nowhere to go as they have no nutrient benefits for the body to use, so they just hang around for a few days. I know it is best to stay away from the booze and only I drink around one day per month although this November, being a very long and miserable time, I have had a couple of drinks on 2 occasions and always pay for it by weight gain.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hello Wendy and everyone
    Glad you got a nice chat with your boys Wendy, and their Christmas packages all posted away. Victoria has now recorded 30 days without a virus case, so we are tentatively breathing easier in the lead up to Christmas. Today was the first day of open borders between Victoria and Tasmania, and my friend was on the overnight ferry to Tasmania to be there on Day One to see her daughter who she hasn’t seen since March. Best wishes to everyone in tiers and stages of lockdowns.
    All well here – just trying to maintain with reasonably low carbs (but wine!) and will rein this in after Christmas to 20-30g carbs for a while I hope. Maybe do that 5 days a week.
    Summer has arrived and it is very hot in NSW and Queensland and northern Victoria. The garden is already starting to show the effects of heat.
    I know you have sworn off choc and nuts – but I finally found some 100% Dark Montezuma’s Chocolate here. It was mentioned in a post a while back and I have been hunting ever since. Definitely can only eat a small amount which is a good thing.🌺🌻🌼

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi everybody,

Sorry for the delay in replying Wendy- so busy with Christmas prep on top of usual busy-ness- I have been reading the thread as it comes into my inbox but not managed to get on the page until now.

To do the Zumba class, or even watch it, you would need to contact Carlos directly by whatsapp to be given a zoom link to the class, and it costs £3, because it is a live class- if you are interested, I will give u his number.

Diet-wise, I think that I am maybe starting to manage to get some balance between too much and too little- I lost 1.5 lbs this week bringing me to 9 lbs until goal ☺…..but must keep it up and see if I can manage it consistently 🤞.

Love to all xxx

• posted by Nixi
    on

Hi S-G, thanks very much for taking time to reply to my question. I’m usually a daily weigher but giving alcohol a break for a while so decided not to weigh again for five days – that should give my body time to adjust. Fingers crossed!

on

Hello Monday, here we are again, end of our diet week and doing fine. Have ordered the 2 meals and we pick them up on 24th Dec and 31st Dec. From our previous experience with this restaurants take out meals they are sort of sous vide and they go in a pan to be heated through. The quality was fantastic so cant wait to have our christmas lunch. I was feeling a bit down about having to cook a meal as we cant get some of the things we normally have but now feeling quite excited about it.
    Hi nixi, sorry I spelt your name wrong, need to get new glasses.
    Hi Wendy, trust your boys are well and enjoying the sunshine. As you know it is lovely weather here, sunny but blooming cold. We had frost on the grass for the first time this morning. Didnt stop us going out for a brisk walk. One km to the end of our road and 1km back, just nice. Tomorrow is December, can you believe it. Nearly a year since we have seen our family. Re-booked ferry for 31st March so we can be with them for Easter. I guess it is just habit to go when the schools are on holiday but to be honest we will be on the first boat when we have had our jabs and this nightmare is over. And it will be soon. Take care everyone and stay safe.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Happy new week everyone ! OOH SG I am very envious of your Michelin restaurant takeaway meals and you are so right to treat yourselves ! Nothing that posh here .. probably a free range capon and veg . I do like a few chestnuts with roast brussel sprouts and that will be my indulgence. Hubby makes stuffing and gravy for himself. I also adore oysters and sea food but I doubt we will have any this year. I don’t fancy having to go out to source them as we are not in a town and it means a 30 min drive.

Hi Nixi and welcome ! Sunshine Girl has explained about the alcohol there and I can’t add anything because alcohol doesn’t sit well with me .

Hi Merry ! Lovely to see you and it must be so uplifting to see travel restrictions easing, especially at this time of year. My boys are looking forward to Tasmania in the new year.

SG , fingers crossed that your trip to the Uk goes to plan at Easter. You have had so many disappointments.

Merry, you are right, I have been off choc and nuts as a lockdown gesture but I had a weird experience yesterday when I tried a square of my Lidl 95% . It wasn’t as wonderful as I remember so maybe having abstained for so long my tastes have changed ? I dunno . I am not able to test that with Godiva 90% which is divine or Montezuma’s 100% which I also adore . That is probably a good thing !!!

Thanks Tulip ! You know I am curious about Carlos and would love to watch the class to see if I could cope with it, if you don’t mind passing on his number . Where is he based ? £3 is very reasonable and I am very grateful to Rachel the lovely pilates instructor I follow who does free workout sessions on Youtube. There is the option to donate a cup of coffee via Kofi which I do . I know so many people are having to shift their business online now and I am so grateful for their efforts to encourage and motivate this unfit 62 year old in these tough times. Well done on your progress this week too , Tulip !

I will be back later to set up the new weekly thread …. December folks !!!

• posted by wendleg
    on

About to set up the new weekly thread ! xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.