ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning March 17th 2020

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

I think more than ever we need to look after ourselves, do our very best to eat as healthily as we possibly can and avoid stress and anxiety overwhelming us.

We can only do our best to eat well and boost our immune systems.

While we can’t offer medical advice, we can continue to offer support and a bit of comfort to anyone feeling isolated and worried.

Lots of love to everyone and please join us whenever you can xxx

• posted by PhoenixBurns
    on

Turns out i have learned very little from eating a healthy diet for 10 weeks. Stress/uncertainty has meant i have gone into a major carb/sugar craving/munching period. There seems to be little I can do to stop it at the moment….
    I have given myself the pep talk, tried listening to my body, focusing on other things, but to no avail. Arggggg! I am doing a lot of exercise at the moment so it isn’t showing on the scales yet. But I know it is coming.
    Pergaps i just need to eat more fats and fibre to keep up with the exercise, just seem to struggle to eat that much!
    I know moaning about getting a chocolate fix is small fry compared to what it’s going on in the world, but I don’t want to end up where I was, especially if I have to self-isolate in the coming weeks.
    Self pity over, stay safe and healthy everyone! And keep on with the WoE and any tips for a relapsed carb addict welcome.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Phoenix, in these uncertain times, the one thing you do have control on is what you choose to put in to your system. I appreciate that stress can be a trigger for comfort eating, so have a think about what BSD friendly snacks you can have to hand, to minimise any repercussions. I’m thinking full fat natural yogurt, nuts, cubes of cheese, even a square of dark choc …. if you can stick to just one😉

What I do know though, is you are a man of determination and I’m confident you will be able to get past this blip and maintain that new physic …. refocus, turn to face in the right direction and keep walking ☺

• posted by EllieAllegra
    on

Hi everyone – I’m still going along although I’ve had more carbs than intend over the last few days. I think trying to do the very best we can to look after our bodies is the way forward….as it should always be! It is likely I’ll have to keep at home in due course as I am in a high risk group, but I’m trying to remain calm and rational….looking at self-isolation as a ‘Staycation!’ rather than some kind of house arrest! Wishing everyone good health! xx

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Totally agree EllieAllegra, we need to flip the coin of social distancing with humour and appreciation of a sunny day.

Look for local voluntary organizations that will help out with shopping, a chat on the phone. It’s hard to stay in and if you avoid shops you can still enjoy a walk.

I live alone during the week and there is too much time to read the complex demands on our society. Reality is more dramatic than any dystopian fable. My concern is entirely on making sure we protect the wonderful generation, now 70 plus. My brother reminded me that by shutting down pubs and restaurants for two months plus, what will we have when we emerge?

Wishing everyone time to enjoy their hobbies, and relief from anxiety.

• posted by Kimeliz
    on

Thanks for the kind words on last week’s thread Wendleg and thanks for setting up this week’s despite everything you have going on. Crazy times indeed for all! Good luck everyone and look after you and yours. I’m doing OK, I’m keeping the bigger aim in mind, the defeating of the progressive effects of MVD and I’ve reversed the Pre diabetes so I am definitely sold on this WOE.

You asked where I am living, we moved from NSW in November to Albany in WA. We love it here and I have the chance to get out and walk daily and my steps have increased out of sight since the move here. Like everywhere, the town is waiting for the onslaught of Covid and you are right, we can only prepare ourselves by being the healthiest we can be. I worry about my 80 year old mother in UK but am maintaining perspective. My nephew is currently trying to convince her to get a smart phone so we can FaceTime/Skype etc so she does not feel so isolated once the lockdown inevitably kicks in. She’s resilient and I am thankful for that.

A few of us seem to have hit a bit of a road hump lately but we know we can push through. I’m feeling emotionally stronger daily and know I’ll get to my own goal sooner or later. KOKO everyone. Kim

• posted by Bryla
    on

Hello everyone. I completely agree that if we can keep making choices about the things we do have control over it is the best thing for our mental health, and often physical health. Whatever we can safely preserve that is ‘normal’ for us is precious.

PhoenixB, I think you are fighting back just by questioning how you are coping and telling us about it, rather than burying your head in the sand. Don’t give up and I know you will get the better of those munchies one way or another. However well we have done, I think we are still going to be vulnerable to the coping strategies we relied on for years, or decades, sneaking back when the going gets tough. That’s only human and while it’s a challenge we want to overcome, we mustn’t let it be a stick to beat ourselves with.

I have struggled recently with keeping my 800 limit for the first time since starting this woe. Nothing huge – still under 900 and nothing forbidden, but extras like another cube or 2 of cheese or square of dark chocolate, or even a cup of bone broth when I know full well my body doesn’t need it. Also seem to spend most of the day thinking about food! My weight has yo-yoed around the same couple of pounds for a week or so, and I know this is the reason. I will get back on track, though!

Sending love and strength to everyone. I am self-employed and dip into the health and education sectors. My work visits have now been cancelled for the foreseeable future (non-essential), so I am right there with anyone else who is feeling the bite of uncertainty and economic vulnerability. I also have vulnerable senior parents. What I can do is keep looking after myself, keep busy and embrace every positive. Yesterday evening it was still light for a dog walk, the birds were singing, squirrels were playing and spring flowers were bursting out everywhere. There is life and beauty all around us and we will come through all of this together!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Good to see so many keeping a firm hold on what they can control, by keeping right on with this WOE.
    Pleased to report that although the losses are incrementally much smaller these days, it seems that the scales results are consistently lower than this time a week ago, so quite happy with that situation. I am determined to keep going and hopefully consolidate target weight over the coming week.
    Take care, eat well and stay healthy. Big hugs to all🤗🤗🤗

• posted by DoubleDutch
    on

Hi all,

I’m in for this week! I’ve done 8,5 week in round one and discarded 14.5 kilo. Halfway. Went frome obese to overweight.
    I survived my skiing holiday without gain,, helped by the words of several members. I did not count calories, but remained low carb and in ketosis. I ate a few grams extra because of all the exercise. We had to flee the ski resorts as borders were closing, but safe & sound at home now.
    Started round 2 immediately today.
    my starting weight this week is 99.1.
    Thanks again, everybody here on this forum, it helps A LOT!
    DD

• posted by Gill33UK
    on

I too am in for another week, starting weight 14 stone exactly, 9lb to go to my 10%. My blood tests were cancelled so by the time this has all settled I hope to shock the nurse with a great weight loss, no trace of type 2 and blood pressure in the normal range!
    We all need to be sensible, hygiene and healthy eating are key, especially if you are in the vulnerable category. My 80 year old Mum and Step Dad are both self isolating from today for 12 weeks, both have health issues and I worry by Mum will become depressed with only my Step-Dad for company. Me and my sisters will face time and call and fetch anything they need, luckily there are three of us and we all live within a 16 mile radius.
    Anyone with anxiety this must be hard for you, just follow the rules, wash your hands and keep your distance as much as possible and be kind to yourself.
    I really hope we don’t have to go into full lockdown, but if we do we do! Hope you all have a good week, look after your selves and the vulnerable. xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi PhoenixBurns !
    I was slightly worried you might get complacent following your great success but it seems that stress is the culprit. It’s hard to break the long held belief that sugar and carbs can soothe us.
    Don’t buy any trigger foods for a start and just focus on what is absolutely essential right now and that is your good health. It’s done and you have experienced how stress can knock you of course so at least you are forewarned. As Sunny says you have the determination to re focus and you have nothing to fear.
    Are you maintaining ? You could consider a 5 :2 type plan if you are comfortable with that ?
    Hi Ellie Allegra. Yes, you must take good care. Are you able to work from home ? That’s what I am supposed to be doing but our school server is on overload and it’s impossible to connect. I hope you can still do some exercise as you are concerned about your mobility. We have strict lock down rules here and have to carry a permt to go out in case we are stopped by the gendarmes. Light exercise is ok so we can walk around the lanes here and failing that I will have to dust off the exercise bike which is standing idle in the lounge !!

Very wise words, Patricia. I just hope this experience , after we have settled and learned to adjust to new habits, will incite us to look out for vulnerable people and not be selfish. I am refusing to venture out ( shopping is allowed right now) as I absolutely cannot face the hassle. I stocked up on provisions from my favourite health shop on Friday. There wasn’t a rush on fermented veg ! We will cope and my strategy right now is to FAST ! I have always slotted it in during my working week but now I have decided it will figure during this enforced lockdown too. That way our food supplies will stretch out a bit longer. I am also drinking a lot because the loo is close by !!
    Yes,I thought you must be in Australia, Kim. Hubby’s daughter has also had to cancel her trip from Tasmania. We are sad too because we haven’t yet met his little grandson . I have no idea when I will see my boys again (they are in Oz too) but I am so grateful to see them in my daily video calls . One advantage of being home is that I am more flexible choosing the right time to call them. I do hope your Mum in the Uk is Ok. Can you call on a friendly neighbour to check in on her ? She probably needs help choosing a smartphone but it is my life saver right now and I am sure it would be reassuring for you to be in regular contact, and to see her.

Very uplifting words from you too, Bryla. I don’t think your excess calories will do any damage. That happened to me, allowing a few more nuts, an extra square of choc , an extra dollop of Greek yoghurt but I’m lucky in that I no longer turn to food for comfort or to relieve stress. It takes a bit of time but it is possible. Yes, look after yourself too , Bryla but I know you are very focused.
    You sound very determined and motivated too, Double Dutch ! All the very best for Round 2 ! You can do it !
    Yes, sensible advice Gill. I do hope your mum and step dad stay well. You will soon be at your 10% discard.

I need to check who is missing from the thread but it’s time to watch the news !
    Shout out to Amz who hasn’t posted for a while .Come back and let us know how you are, Amz xx
    Stay well, stay strong everyone and try to resist any stress eating which will only weaken your defences.
    I am such a nag, I know 😉

• posted by PhoenixBurns
    on

Thank you everyone for the words of support. I run the IT in a school preping for months of remote teaching so you can imagine the amount of pressure my team and I are under. So i haven’t be able to break my day up with lunchtime walks and have had to bring food to work, which has broken the dam of willpower. Because we are doing a good job, people keep bringing us gifts of biscuits, creme eggs, etc.
    I am attempting 5:2, but finding it tough, as I have in the past. I think I just need to get a grip on those two days and not go mad on the other 5….easier said than done.
    But I am not giving up, i have come too far. I feel these are temporary blips, and the benefits are too great to waste.
    Keep well everyone.

• posted by EllieAllegra
    on

Hi everyone, I hope you are all doing well. I’ve spent a busy day rearranging appointments to be online for the next few weeks and providing support for my colleagues. On the positive side my mobility has improved since the weekend and I enjoyed some time in the garden today. I do feel I’ve taken my eye off the ball with eating, but have a plan to regroup from Thursday – that’s when some meal replacement products should arrive and will mean I have a bit more flexibility in my meal planning, given the surreal state of the shops….it should also mean I have a back up to ensure plenty of vitamins and minerals which is really important for me. I have elderly parents who live locally to us and they are calmly taking things in their stride – they both have health problems but are following advice and staying home but keeping busy. My other half is now working from home for the foreseeable future and he wants to use this time to take better care of himself….less temptations at home than the coffee shops and vending machines where he works! I have lots of friends working in schools and within the NHS….amazing people doing amazing work – thank you to everyone out there who are working so hard to look after others! I work in mental health and many of us are trying to cope with managing how to be there to help people who are struggling whilst minimising any risks to them….something that is changing on a daily basis. Keep well everyone xx

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Okie dokie, I’m in for another week now I’ve given myself a shake.
    I was a bit lax over the weekend – on plan but too many calories on saturday and ate at a friends on sunday and had lasagne and lemon meringue pie and wine….. then tried hard monday and tuesday but gave in to the evening feeling drained and sorry for myself carb demons last night. I almost feel like i’ve got tot he 3 week barrier and my mind or body thinks the 800 calories is too hard – I know i can get over that and realise than many people manage to keep it up so Im sure I can too. So I’m on the wagon and ready to go.

Its trying times for everyone and absolutely the best thing we can do is keep our bodies fuelled with the right things, no matter the individual worries. My work involves business continuity planning and this is certainly interesting (and worrying) times. Other than that, my biggest worry is my 84 year old dad who lives with us – I’m glad he’s with us and we can support him but equally I’d hate to take the virus close to him…. he is fit and well so just have to be positive. I do worry about loneliness for those who are isolated especially the older generations , but technology is a great thing and hopefully will provide enough contact.

take care peeps and lets see this week thorough well.

• posted by Gill33UK
    on

Wendy, it’s amazing how you go through the threads and mention everyone and it is appreciated. I am one of the lucky ones, family close by and I don’t suffer from anxiety/stress, in fact probably too relaxed about it all! (Not on the hand washing front though!).
    I work on a construction site for a national energy company and we are in the middle of a big upgrade, they are very keen to keep us going, they have bought people to teach us how to wash our hands etc. and everyone seems to be taking it seriously, I just followed a chap through a series of doors, he opened them with elbows, feet, just his little finger etc. We had a joke about it, important to keep a sense of humour when all around are loosing theirs!
    My twin has also self isolated due to underlying issues, she is allowed to work from home, she reported a loss of 3lbs this morning after starting on day 3, she has promised to send me pics of her meals and when she emerges, hopefully there will be a significant weight loss, I will encourage her to keep on. Her starting weight was 16 st 9lbs so hopefully she will see a great loss in week one and that will encourage her to keep going.
    I love reading the words of encouragement, and pop in often, not always time to comment but am usually lurking!
    Thanks again, and have a good week everyone!

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi all,
    I’m in for another week.
    Going to TRE (approx 15:9) has worked out ok for me. Am down 1kg from last week, which takes me to a total of 9kg loss which is 10% of my starting weight (92kg). Feels great! Next mini-goal will be -10 kg.
    I’m not a strict counter of calories, I concentrate on keeping the carbs to a minimum, and when I feel hungry or peckish I try to add fat (such as cheese, avocado, nuts, olive oil etc) to my food.
    I would recommend this to anyone struggling, to take to focus of counting and try to listen to the body.
    Take care everyone!

• posted by wendleg
    on

OH PhoenixBurns I need you right now !!!!!! I am a secondary teacher working from home and it is a nightmare because in France we were just not prepared for this and our system crashes constantly unless you try to connect to our platform at 2am !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So it’ a question of patience . I don’t eat biscuits to vent my frustration though 😉 Nobody would dare bring me gifts of biscuits and creme eggs 😉
    Have you ever tried to stretch out a fasting period during the day , trying OMAD ( one meal a day ) to see how you get on ? You could enjoy an evening meal after the chaos of the day ??
    It might need a bit of time to adjust but you could find it gives you a boost of energy and mental clarity to cope with the mayhem ?
    Just a thought ….
    I will be back soon everyone …need a break to do something frivolous ! We even need permission to go out for a walk here !

• posted by wendleg
    on

Are you all ok ? I have been so frustrated spending hours today trying to get work online that I have decided to have a break tomorrow or my stress levels will be sky high ! !! Kids have work to do and I will post more when I can. I can’t perform miracles .
    PB , you must really be ramping up the preparation now that schools are closing , but at least no exams are scheduled .

Just sending a massive hug to everyone. I started to feel a bit bombarded with information today which was unsettling so I am not allowing that any more. It’s important to avoid getting overwhelmed. We can only manage the here and now .

xxxxx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wendy, purchase about the here and now, pinged something into my brain. I have been doing some meditations using YouTube… try typing Mooji into the search bar. I find his voice very soothing and the meditations very powerful. Might be a nice thing to do tomorrow while you’re taking time for yourself.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Thank you so much Sunny. I need to stop worrying about IT problems totally out of my control, accept it will take time and that’s ok .

My yoga teacher was so good at reminding me to let go and relax. Just shows how beneficial those sessions were for me . We need to

stay grounded. I will enjoy being away from screens and just breathing in fresh air .

Keep going everyone.I know it’s tough when stress and uncertainty are all around. I am working hard to keep to a routine which

includes a couple of manageable fasting days. This is not the time to lose the plot . Stay stong and focused and let us know how you all are xx

• posted by Russianroulade
    on

Hi all

It’s week five and I have fallen off the wagon. I only saw a discard of a pound this week and this coupled with a trip to the pub, almost a bottle of wine yesterday, burger and chips and chocolate. Well it’s game over.

This has really confirmed that stress is my trigger. Plus being confined to the house home working, makes me want to eat. Work is also very stressful and I have become very anxious.

However I’m going to try and start again tomorrow and get back in control

• posted by wendleg
    on

Yes, this is the danger Russianroulade but you understand and recognise the trigger. We have to manage the stress before it derails us and find strategies to cope and switch off. Are you able to get out for a head clearing short walk ? I didn’t give in to food but I certainly felt the stress building today and I fully understand the pressures. I needed a break from work.

Don’t TRY to start again, RR . That is sort of giving yourself permission not to . Get straight back on track or it will be so much harder if you really let things get out of control.
    Keep hydrated. You are not hungry , wanting to eat is not the same as needing to eat because you have true hunger .
    You will only feel more anxious if you undermine your progress so far xx

• posted by PhoenixBurns
    on

My daughter is absolutely distraught as her exams have been cancelled. The IT systems we have are robust and we’ll prepared 🤞. The staff are another matter….. Still it keeps me in a job.
    I have tried the one meal a day, but I would be self isolated to my shed by the rest of the family as I get very hangry. Today has gone well, no snacking during the day, just my planned meals.
    As Confucious would say, we are living in interesting times. Stay well everyone. Phoenix

• posted by Bryla
    on

Hello everyone! A big virtual hug to Wendy for thinking of us all and cheering us on, despite facing challenges like everyone else in these strange times. The situation is bringing out the best and worst in people, but this is one place where we know unconditional support and understanding will prevail.

Thank you, PhoenixB for working so hard for your school. We all know that our healthcare workers will be going above and beyond, but there are loads of unsung heroes like you whose skill and commitment are crucial to holding our communities and way of life together. I don’t think for a moment that you have lost your determination and everything you have learned is still there – it is the environment that has thrown you a curved ball and I believe 100% that you can and will adjust. As long as we are all doing our best, then that is good enough – that’s all we ever can do.

Great going, Olive! I really admire you being so on touch with your body’s signals. Unfortunately if I listen closely to mine, especially at this time, I can hear it yelling “ginger biscuits!!!!!”, So for me, the kitchen and bathroom scales and calorie counting are still crucial. We all find our own way and I am chuffed for you that something has clicked for you.

RR, I agree with Wendy. Please don’t let yourself think it’s game over! You can choose what you do next and you absolutely can adapt to other ways to manage your stress. We are right here with you!

I found this morning that I am 2lb from target. I might adjust that target when I get there, but I’m not going to move the goalposts until I have had chance to celebrate and weigh everything up (forgive the pun).And it feels great that there is something in life that I am controlling and have choices about. This week I lost my livelihood overnight, for the foreseeable future. I have a couple of week’s worth of outstanding paperwork to get through, but it is hard to focus. I have been coping by walking- a lot! I find it very calming and since I live alone, it somehow helps me to feel connected with the world. Actually, I’m not alone, because I have my beloved dog and I am so grateful for her right now! I am absolutely certain that we will all adapt in whichever ways we must. Media/social media will exploit all our fears right now and I for one am determined to switch off from it and focus on living my life and contributing what I can.

Sending much love to everyone. For those of us feeling really anxious, do keep recognising when it is your anxiety, not your rational brain talking. It can help to acknowledge a scary thought, then substitute it with a more reasonable one. It’s quite hard to do, but gets easier with practice and helps to stop your panic response rocketing out of control. In saying that I’m drawing on my professional knowledge – not intending to preach! Xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh wow Bryla, I am so impressed by your positivity. You are obviously having to deal with massive changes in your life right now and you are facing them head on, and also finding time to help us deal with any anxiety, thank you.
    As I said , I am refusing to even attempt to connect to our online platform today. Instead hubby took me out foraging ( around the garden, we don’t need a permit for that !) We are planning nettle soup , nettle crisps ( like kale crisps) and garlic mustard pesto. I am quite uplifted by the prospect.
    We are going to walk up the village later ( permit needed !) People here are very supportive and we are relatively protected being in a rural area but we won’t take any risks.
    Feeding day today and the aubergine parmigiano was delish.
    I hope everyone is coping . It is stressful and it is so easy to give in to ‘comfort’ foods but think long term rather than a quick sugar fix ? I know you are not preaching Bryla and I hope I don’t come across as a right old nag 😉
    I just want the best for everyone.

I hope today goes well , Phoenix. I can imagine the demands being made on you by fretting teachers right now.
    Russianroulade…are you feeling better now, back on track ? Maybe just take it one day at a time if you feel overwhelmed.
    Lots of love everyone.Let’s keep supporting each other

• posted by Bryla
    on

Hi Wendy. You don’t come across as a nag to me at all! Just our conscience sitting on our shoulders and encouraging us in the right direction. Here I am just another BSDer wearing L-plates – you and a few others are the ones with the serious BSD credentials, which is why I don’t want to accidentally overstep the mark.

I love the sound of the nettle recipes. I’m not sure I’ll be harvesting the dog wee-infused nettle from my garden just yet though, but then again they might turn out to be a taste sensation! I’ve learned to like sprouts on this WOE, so anything could happen. Although my local supermarket is in the same state of disarray as many there still seems to be plenty of fresh veg and a bit of meat. Unsweetened almond milk and cream unaffected. Hooray! Tomorrow I am planning to go to the local farm shop. I don’t do that often enough anyway. On dog walks today I noticed several people smiling and calling “hello” from a distance – really nice! It’s disheartening to see the way some folk are behaving at the moment, but it is coming from a place of fear and there is still a lot of kindness and compassion to go around.

• posted by wendleg
    on

The nettles were harvested in our field here Bryla so no risk of dogs weeing on them. They were really fresh.This is the right time to pick them apparently.
    So, I collected a bucket full, rinsed them and then added them to a soup base of some softened leek, celery (including the leaves) , veg stock, a courgette, garlic and thyme. I whizzed it up in the blender to make it quite smooth and frothy and it was lovely.It made loads ! I swirled on some crème fraiche. The taste is a sort of citrussy , mild spinach I will try the nettle crisps tomorrow !
    We walked up to the little shop in the village and got a few previsions. It was good to get out and I felt much calmer not having to think about school work for once. The IT people are working overnight to sort things.

How is everyone doing ?

• posted by wendleg
    on

I just spotted ths article. Jason Fung giving advice on staying on track

Here is Dr. Fung’s Advice on How To Stay On Track During The Coronavirus Isolation

1. Drink Tea, and lots of it! “I’ve been self-isolating and drinking lots of tea. The antioxidants in green tea may suppress the appetite, but it gives me something to ‘do’ instead of eating. I’ve replaced a bad habit with a harmless habit. I have gone back to drinking tea like an Asian, which is to brew a pot of tea and keep sipping it throughout the day.”
    “When it is finished, I simply add more hot water to the tea leaves. I use a cup with a lid that keeps the tea hot. This is actually what I used to do as a student, when I spent many hours in my room studying, and the way my parents drink tea. I’ve also been changing up tea flavors every now and then. Pique Tea has some great fasting teas (I helped them develop them) with flavors like Bergamot Green and Cinnamon.”

2. Stay busy. “The key question to ask yourself is this: Are you hungry or are you just bored? Most of the time, we are simply bored, and that has us scrounging around the kitchen for lack of something to do. I bought myself a paint by numbers kit (surprisingly relaxing) and downloaded two ebooks from the library. I subscribed to chess.com and decided that I would try to learn the game, which I’ve always meant to do, but never had time for. I’ve also decided to spend a bit more time working out.”

3. Stay out of the kitchen. “Whatever you do, do NOT do your work or read or calls, etc. in the kitchen. That’s an open invitation to snack. I like to go into my study and allow my natural laziness to keep me from going into the kitchen. My other favorite thing to do is to snuggle up in a warm blanket to read or watch a movie, and my natural reluctance to get out of my warm ‘nest’ overcome my inclination to snack.”

4. Don’t snack. Stick to eating in windows. Meaning set a time when you are allowing yourself to eat, and then another time window when you are not eating. Every time you snack you cause your body to produce some insulin, which we know is a major driver of weight gain. Eat those almonds but eat them with your lunch or dinner, not in between. Hunger comes in waves, so just ride them out! If you feel hungry, try to distract yourself by doing something you’ve been putting off in your house like hanging a shelf or cleaning out a closet. Not only will your hunger pass, but you’ll also feel relief from being able to organize your clutter!

5. Stay connected. We might have to practice social distancing in person, but that doesn’t affect how we interact on the web. Connect with online communities to keep you feeling motivated. Dr. Fung and Megan Ramos offer support through their community, The Fasting Method. They offer live and interactive support groups as well as eating and fasting group challenges that are sensitive to what’s going on.

6. Have a glass of water. Before you reach for something to eat, when you feel a hunger pang, drink a glass of water. We often mistake thirst for hunger. Many people find that carbonated or mineral water is especially good at suppressing appetite.

7. Practice stress reduction. Breathe, Meditate, do Yoga. with activities like deep breathing, yoga, and mediation instead of reaching for the pantry. These are stressful times and you may not even realize that you’re thinking about your job, your paycheck, the market, the economy, and how long all this will last. If you are stressing you are sending cortisol through your body and that can lead you to self-soothe with carbs and other serotonin-boosting foods. Yes, there are reasons to be stressed, but being unhealthy or eating bad food won’t help. Breathe. To alleviate stress before it starts, create a daily routine and stick with it. Having a routine reduces stress on the body, which can keep cravings for comfort foods at bay.

• posted by wendleg
    on

WindyJulz…. Just had a thought …is your horse competition still going to be taking place in April ?

You’ve all gone quiet on me ! No doubt you have lots of things to navigate right now.
    Stay safe everyone xx

• posted by caronl
    on

Wendleg Thank you so much for posting Dr Fung’s advice. Some really good principles to follow. Like many, I suspect, I am finding this very hard to handle. These tips will help. I’m also trying to work on healthy comfort food. Have just cooked a huge chilli con carne to split into meals for the freezer. Who knows what the next few weeks will bring. 🙁

Staying connected is huge. Two friends called today for a chat; it made me realise how little I use the phone these days. So much nicer than texting/emailing. And I took a huge bunch of tulips to a friend – staying 1.5 m apart of course – and that brightened her birthday. So keep on keeping on. I shall make lots of tea tomorrow!

• posted by Amz the Beautiful
    on

*sigh*
    I feel frustrated and embarrassed with my repeated disappearing act. I surely don’t deserve to be called determined or humbling. But my thanks to those who wished me well and thought of me.
    There’s no real reason for me falling off the wagon, just life’s stresses piling up one by one until I’m suffocated by their weight.
    I keep looking in the mirror for a glimpse of the person I used to be, someone who was able to resist and refuse temptations, but I feel like the damage my heart took last year has become debilitating… The older crowd may remember my original moniker Gangrene Heart… I feel like it has truly rotted away now…
    I look at my daughter and I pity her because her mother is such a bad example. I want to lose weight. I want to be healthy. I want to have confidence… How hard such dreams are to achieve!
    Wendy never gives up on me. She’s always including my on her list of missing persons or sending an email if I’m gone too long, and I’m so grateful. Truly, I feel alone in this world. I have a husband who insists on me to lose weight, but does nothing to support me and friends who are against it because they think I’m fine the way I am. Honestly, I want this to be the last time I mope and complain and make excuses. I would love to use this time now to chart a new course in my life and greet summer with a slimmer figure and a fierce sense of confidence.
    I can do it. I can do it. I can do it.
    Thank you in advance for the loving support I’m sure you all will give me.

• posted by Gill33UK
    on

Amz, bless you and welcome back. It’s a funny old world out there at the moment so be kind to yourself first and foremost. I agree that this group offers great support so visit often for all there words of wisdom, no one judges here. You need to want to do this for yourself not others, sending you a virtual hug xxx

• posted by Bryla
    on

Hi everyone. Thanks so much for the Dr F advice, Wendleg. Your soup sounds delicious! So glad you were able to let go of the work issues beyond your control and do something enjoyable and productive.

Hi Amz! The reason I admire you is because you have never given up. It doesn’t matter how many times you are pulled off your path, or how long that lasts. It takes incredible strength to hang on to your goals come what may. Those voices from others telling us what they want and what they think is best for us can be deafening and so easily drown out what we know we want and need. You show your daughter that it is perseverance and determination that matter. I don’t find anything inspiring in people who seem to breeze through life (not many do, in reality) and achieve things without some struggle. We are all so much more than our weight or our health and those are not the things that people love and value us for if their opinion is of any worth. You feel really lonely, but you are definitely not alone. Wendleg believes in you and clearly cares very much and I feel sure the rest of us do too. Yes! You can do it! Maybe start with the next mini-goal?

Sending love and encouragement to everyone.

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Fab staying on track advice Wendleg. Really helpful. I’m not stuck at home yet but still struggling.
    Horse company in April is cancelled, so the motivation of trotting down the centreline at the Nationals looming trim is missing. My wee horse is still awesome and still deserves a trimmer jockey tho…. I will not give up.
    I’ve taken it easier calorie wise the past few days. It’s frustrating, I’m perfectly ok in myself but struggling watching others struggle and making those around them struggle. I guess it’s the feeling of helplessness.
    Cooking for my dad this evening, slow cooked beef with an abundance of veg. Thankfully we can still interact (given we share a home) with him tho I’m being careful as he’s an old chap these days.
    Off outside to enjoy the sunshine with the horses. They are so great at lifting the spirits and making me stay active and distracted.
    Take care peeps. X

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi all,
    Working from home with a pot of tea beside me, thanks Wendleg for the good advices from Dr Fung.
    I manage quite ok with keeping to eating healthy to but I’ve been thinking about how to get the rest of the family into the same thinking. They don’t need the calorie restriction but would all do well with less carbs. I have teenage daughters, so am very conscious that they should have a healthy relationship with food – no diet talk in my house. Luckily they love vegetables and eat most things, but there could be less pasta, bread etc.
    I’m also catching myself thinking that I should buy snacks etc for them when I’m shopping – even though they haven’t asked for it. I guess because deep down it is what I want, and it’s my idea of how to treat myself. So hard to resist and get out of these old thinking patterns!
    Dearest Amz, I feel for you. Please stop thinking negatively about yourself and be kinder to yourself. I sense an “all or nothing” attitude that I can identify with, where it is hard to see that small steps can also lead forward, where you want big change fast.
    Perhaps do what Bryla suggest and put up mini-goals? You can do it!

Big hugs to all – take care!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Another day has flown by. I have been more productive but I seem to do nothing but school related work , replying to emails, putting work online now the system is finally functionning correctly.I need have to have a cut off point.

I was so glad to see Amz back with us but saddened by her post. I hope she continues to share with us on the forum but I have also sent her an email to offer contact via WhatsApp so she has ongoing support . Hopefully that way she will feel less alone. My goodness this is ever the time to reach out and be kind . It enrages me that others can judge and undermine a person so they have no self esteem, no confidence and feel utterly worthless.

We are all here for everyone and I know you will all reach out to Amz and to anyone else struggling right now.

• posted by Bryla
    on

Hi everyone. It’s the first day of week 11 today for me and I’m determined to stay on course, whatever else is going on. I’m so grateful that I found this way to keep my brain sharper and my body in a better state when I did. Good to know others are plodding away with me

Hope you get some more downtime over the weekend, Wendleg. I know how hard it is to stop work dominating everything when home and work become the same place, especially when under pressure.

Planning to make sardine cake for the dog and courgette soup for myself this afternoon, so we will both be eating well.

Love to everyone.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Yes, I had a break from school work Bryla, apart from responding to emails from kids. I sat in the garden sunning my white legs ! I have no doubt you will stay on course . I am so pleased that you are reaping the benefits of your new woe and it is now second nature to you.

I also had a successful Foraging for Food Cooking Experiment ! After nettle soup the other day, today I tried nettle crisps !
    I picked a bucket of nettle leaves , then removed the stalks and mixed them with olive oil, salt, chili flakes and nutritional yeast. Baked for 10 to 15 mins. No kidding they were delicious and I felt so proud of myself 😉
    So many possibilities out there in the garden. Hubby also harvested some more kale and rainbow chard. This enforced lockdown has certainly made me appreciate the simple pleasures of home grown fresh vegetables and how little food we really need .

I was thinking today that the panic buying in the supermarkets is driven by fear of want not being satisfied, of deprivation, starvation even. If all those people just relaxed and realised that it really is possible to survive quite happily on much less food than they are used to. Quality not Quantity. Also that it is even possible to have periods when they don’t eat at all, and that can be beneficial. I am not talking about the vulnerable, of course.
    People are so used to having plentiful, instantly available food. The idea of it not being there is simply terrifying.

Have a good weekend everyone. Stay focused, positive and try not to allow yourselves to be drawn in to the panic .Just look after yourselves 0xx

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    Nice to see so many being so positive these days. I’m still here plugging away. I’m eating as close to plan as I am able, and usually 2MAD. Although yesterday I was missing some of my breakfast type foods, so ended up having 3 meals for the first time in ages, with some chia/flax/coconut milk porridge with some mixed berries on top. I don’t think I’m going to do much in the way of fasting at the moment. Just TRE and if I do a fast I think I will keep it to 24 hours. Even that amount of fasting should help to extend my food supplies out a bit. I think you are right, Wendy, that most people have never gone hungry, and really fear it. I’ve also noticed that people are buying high carb comfort foods. In some ways it makes it easier for those of us who are cooking and making meals from real foods from scratch to find the ingredients we need. The exception for me as a vegetarian has been beans and other legumes. Our public health officials have been telling people to stock up on beans, so there are often none left on the shelf, dried or tinned. I’m lucky that I already had a lot of lentils in, but was hoping to get a couple tins of other types for a bit of variety, but all the supermarkets were out. In the end, I remembered that one of the local farmer’s markets carries some, and I got 4 tins that I am now rationing out.
    I was lucky to get stocked up when I did as I am now in full isolation due to a work colleague who rapidly came down with a cough and fever at work on Monday. I had limited contact with him, but started developing a cough myself on Tuesday, so came home and brought my office with me (at least my laptop, monitor, mouse and keyboard). I’ve spent the week working from home and feel lucky to be able to do so. Work set us all up to have the ability to be fully mobile late last year, so it’s been pretty seamless and paying off in spades now with this current crisis. We don’t have real phone lines anymore as it is all voice-over IP, so people can even reach me by phone as long as I have my laptop and headset with me.
    I am pretty sure my cough has been asthma related to air pollution and high pollen counts. I was having trouble breathing this evening, so had to use my asthma inhaler for the first time in 3 years. Of course, I realize now that it has expired. Luckily still seems to be working, though not many doses left, so I will have to call my GP on Monday and see what they suggest for getting more. Definitely don’t want to have inflammation in my lungs at this time! Rain is in the forecast for Monday, so hopefully that will help clear the air somewhat.
    Stay safe everyone and keep looking for those positives!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Take care articfox and pace yourself working from home.I am realising the importance of allowing for breaks otherwise it is so easy to never switch off.
    Yes, it’s important to stay healthy right now and I hope you get the new inhaler.
    We have small shops here and local farms so hopefully we will have enough supplies of fresh veg to avois having to travel further afield.
    Stay safe everyone.xx

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

Well, I’ve been off the forum for quite a while now and there are loads of posts that I’ve missed.
    Hope you are all keeping well and managing to avoid the virus so far.
    To be honest the whole situation really scares me. My dad has so many underlying health issues that I am really worried for him. Him and my mum are self isolating at home. But, like so many people, it breaks my heart not to be able to visit them and hug them.
    My holiday in May will no longer go ahead. My initial thought was “might as well stuff the diet as no longer any need to fit into my holiday clothes”. But I’ve changed my mind now. I’m diabetic so I’m in the high risk group and staying at home. I realise that I still need to be healthy and keep control of blood sugar levels……just in case I end up catching the virus.
    On the positive side I’ve been busy painting my garden fence. I have been so engrossed with it that I’ve forgotten to eat and lost a couple of pounds this weekend.
    I just want to give a special mention to Amz. I too remember you from last year and all your struggles. You’re never alone when on this forum. We all care about you and I do think about you a lot. You need to set goals for yourself and definitely not for anyone else. Anything you decide to do, do it for you……not for your husband or friends or anyone else. We all need love and support in our lives and never more so than now. This virus really puts things into perspective. Stick with those people who make you feel good and improve your life. Practice self isolating and social distancing from those who drag you down……..
    Wishing everyone a good week ahead. Stay safe, stay at home and stay positive.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Scottishgal !

So good to see you. I fully understand your anxiety, not only for your Mum and Dad but for your own health, but you are definitely doing the right thing.This is absolutely not the time to revert to eating habits which will weaken your resistance and affect your diabètes.
    We can help ourselves physically and mentally by taking control of what we eat . Giving in to carby comfort foods might feel good for a brief moment but the lasting effects will be damaging if it continues.
    I know it’s not easy but in the face of so much uncertainty making the right food choices is something positive we can do for ourselves to help us feel slightly less anxious.
    Sorry about your holiday. No trips planned here and we are cancelling our train trip to Lyon early April. Sobeit…it will happen at some other time .
    About Amz. I don’t think she will mind if I tell you that we are connected via Whatsapp but I would love her to continue posting on the forum too because lots of people care about her. You are spot on in your special mention to her. We can only make decisions and set goals for ourselves not as a result of pressure from others. Amz told me she was feeling much better this weekend and is detemined .Absolutely Scottisgal, avoid toxic people who just project negativity.We don’t need that right now.

Please keep posting SG !
    lots of love xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

I know it’s tough right now and I fully appreciate you have other things on your mind , managing the horrors of shopping, keeping the kids occupied away from school, facing work worries, just generally feeling fearful..

We are still here and will remain here as long as you need a safe space , just sharing as we have always done . We are all in the same boat.

This really is not the time to put our health at risk.

I am sure Sunny will be here to support you too.Her Positives Thread is thriving and very important right now but I know she will always do her best to keep us all focused on this weekly thread too. She has lots of great recommendations to relieve stress with meditation.
    So I will set up the new weekly thread later on .

Sending lots of love to everyone and I hope you can find a minute just to share how you are coping and feel less alone xxx

• posted by Gill33UK
    on

Afternoon All, managed just 2lb this week but got into a new stone zone!! As well as losing 2lb I also lost my job, self employed and our client pulled the plug on our construction site this morning, just went in to finalise payroll now home for however long this goes on.
    I plan on carrying on with the BSD and decluttering along with lovely long walks with my two labradors, husband says I have to learn being a kept woman in a budget!! Keeping a sense of humour is important…..be kind to each other and stay safe xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Well done Gill .. you didn’t allow the stress to overwhelm you and derail you . Not easy . Remember when all this is over, your efforts are going to ensure you are in the best place possible, healthy, fabulous and able to bounce back and find work again xx All the very best to you and your family xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

I am setting up the new thread folks !!

Wendy xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

The new weekly thread is up and running , folks .

Please come and tell us how you are, share your concerns if need be.

No worries if you feel you are losing control of food with all the other things to cope with right now. We can all help each other .

lots of love everyone xxx

Please log in or register to post a reply.