ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning June 30th 2020

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Yes….another week has flown by and we are almost into July ! I am sorry I have not been available to give the support I would like to offer over these last 2 weeks. I am adjusting to my early starts again and the prospect of imminent retirement !!

There is a very supportive community on our weekly thread, always ready to step in and offer encouragement when things get tough . That reassures me and as always Sunny is on hand to advise and support.

Welcome to all our new contributors, or welcome back too ! Sunshine-girl !! Good to see you !!
    Brilliant news on the sale of your flat articfox !! What an exciting project you have ahead !

So let’s just keep going !
    Wendy and Sunny

• posted by wendleg
    on

I cannot break with tradition so here is the updated list of contributors … . please let me know if I have forgotten anyone

SunnyB
    Merrymelba
    Niamh and Dean ( Neegan)
    EC
    Caronl
    Clarinet cathy
    Bryla
    Windyjulz

Georgiejeorge
    oLive 1
    Puddy
    Dreamscometrue
    Gattina
    melH
    rosyapple
    LovesGroodles

timetochange
    Patricia
    Articfox
    Double Dutch
    PTR
    Britta
    Film24
    Rebeccakershaw
    JGwen (of course !!)

PlumpGoose
    Russianroulade
    DebbieDarko
    weebleswobble
    nicoles212
    Steviep
    Zuzuvela
    Frog
    GreenGal
    EachPeach
    SusieMac1957
    Limes254
    Butterlover
    PhoenixBurns
    Quetzal
    Waitaminute
    Riccoh
    Tulip1 (Clare)
    ADD6605(Dawn)
    Gyllb
    EllieAllegra

Roheryn
    AuroraB
    Sweetgirl
    BlueSkyz
    Karenwm
    SusieMac1957
    Jeremy Fisher
    ClemFlo
    LR800
    Eowyn
    Kevlondon and Mrs Kev
    Scubado
    Lulu16
    Shammy
    sunshine-girl !!!

• posted by wendleg
    on

I am concerned that we haven’t heard from Bryla for some time. The last post I saw was on the 5th June so I put a message on that week’s thread so hopefully she will get a notification of a new post and let us know she is ok

• posted by Jeremy Fisher
    on

Progress so far:

Week 1: Lost 8lb. 800 cals. TRE. Great results, but a tough week with ‘carb flu’ and horrendous running that turned into walks.
    Week 2: Lost 2lb. 1150cals, low carb, and no longer TRE to make life easier. Running a little better but still some walking needed.
    Week 3 (this week): Lost 2.5lb. 1150 cals. One day on unlimited cals, but low carb all day. Increased running mileage to burn more calories and did 5 runs. No need to walk in runs this week – more back to normal.

A huge thanks to everyone who posts on here. It’s encouraging to see everyone’s progress and see the support everyone has for each other, particularly when people are struggling.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wendy, thank you for taking the lead for another week, even though your time is tight right now. Hope you will enjoy your final days at school and will be able to bow out in more or less the fashion you had original planned.

The weekly thread has been hugely active in recent days and we have welcomed more newcomers and returnees, making things even more lively. Sincerely hope that all of those contributors will be joining us for another week here, and that we will be able to welcome others who wish to be part of this wonderful group.

On after personal note, I start this week at dead on my target weight, so am happy to report I continuing to maintain.

Wishing everyone an easy and successful BSD week, but as usual, we’ll do our best to support anyone struggling, because we’re definitely in this together.

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi Wendy and Sunny, thanks for spurring us on. Jeremy, you seem to have found your pace, that is great. I find that even after doing this for a long time I can still tweak things all the time. To keep loosing weight I think the body needs change to not get comfortable. Some changes in what to eat, when to eat and different exercises.
    Will be interesting to follow your journey.
    Am hoping for (at least) 0.5 kg loss this week, as it would take me to my next mini-goal -15 kg.
    Am doing 3 days of 23 hour fasts to shake things up, first one was today and went really well.
    A great week to you all!

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Well I’m writing last few weeks off and am feeling positive about really getting stuck into this WOE tomorrow.Got shopping in today so NO EXCUSES!will weigh and measure myself tomorrow and start filling in Fast800 journal I bought.I’m going to read forum every day to keep me on track.Dawn

• posted by Angelsand
    on

Hi everyone. I came off the forum for a while

Ive totally spiralled into quite a dark place really. For the past 3 years ive been around 9 stone and not touched bread pasta or potatoes. Ive had a rough year really but on the scales today i am 12st 11lb. At the end f march i was 10st 11lb.
    All my clothes are size 8 and i feel like im in shock with it all and want to stay indoors and hide.

Today is my birthday and i couldn’t be any lower. Dont know what to do. Feel so angry with myself and humiliated. Now lockdown is easing i am afraid to see people.
    Any advice appreciated. Xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Angelsand, firstly big hugs and sorry things have gone so wrong for you and you don’t feel in the mood to celebrate your birthday. Secondly, please don’t waste energy beating yourself up for being human … forgive yourself. It’s counter productive to dwell 9n the negative and will only serve to hamper your efforts to take positive action.

Why not decide to make your birthday, the day you make a fresh start. You did brilliantly last time and you CAN do it again. Tomorrow make a start by cutting out the obvious carbs and begin to plan your way forward. You can’t change what has happened, but you have the power to influence what happens from here on.

And please, come and talk to us here … it was definitely the lovely people on the forum that got me to target and have kept me maintaining. You can be certain, we’ll be here to walk alongside you.

• posted by DoubleDutch
    on

Hi Angelsand,
    You’ve come to the right place, thanks for sharing your story! That’s the first step, now it’s time to look forward. I’ve seen lots of inspiring interviews and podcasts by, among others, Cywes, Jason Fung and off course MM, one of the things I remember is them explaining the shorter the period of a certain higher weight, the quicker it will be gone when you start eating right. So, I suppose your body didn’t really get the chance to get comfortable with your current weight. So you know what to do, you have succeeded before, you can do this! We’ll be here.
    DD

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi Angelsand,
    I know exactly how you feel, I did the same although to start with I weighed slightly a bit more than you.
    I cut out all the nasties and lost weight..and all my clothes were size 10, I even lost weight from my feet 😂 and bought smaller shoes!!
    Then, to be honest I don’t know why, but I ate things that I knew wasn’t good for me and the weight went back on.
    I came back here and am trying my hardest to stay on track..some days are harder than others and I self sabotage at times, knowing full well what I’m doing is wrong but still do it.
    Anyway I am setting myself smaller goals because I couldn’t achieve the larger ones without beating myself up when I didn’t reach them in a timeframe I had in my mind.
    Now I’m doing it slowly.
    Maybe that’s what you need as well,small goals. We can do this, please don’t feel humiliated and angry anymore, I’ve done enough of that for both of us .
    Let’s keep at it and move forward. As they say “turn that frown upside down” smile it’s your special day lets move on and look ahead to when we are both at a healthy weight and we look gorgeous again 😉😁😁… happy birthday xxx

• posted by Butterlover
    on

HI Everyone.,I just lost a long post before sending.so shorter version now I’m slowly getting off the carbs.only lost 0.5kg but managed to go to the gym twice.This week I’m focus on portion size and cutting back late night eating which is a big issue.my daily cals are well above 800 but I believe a slow reduction will give me more lasting results in the long term.Im increasing my general activity as covid restrictions are almost over.Its so nice to have coffee with a friend in a cafe.It feels like a special treat and my mood is really lifted.I hope everyone will be able to get out soon wishing everyone a great week.

• posted by Riccoh
    on

Hi Everyone. Have a fantastic week. If you didn’t have a great week last week pick yourself up and start again. Life’s good.

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

I’m in for the week. Had a good day yesterday and feeling in a good place this morning, hoping it’ll last.

Angelsand – sorry to hear you are feeling low. Try not to focus on your weight adn let that bring you down further – yes its annoying and I’m sure you are frustrated and cross at yourself, but please be kind to yourself. It doesn’t make you a bad person, in fact you are still the same person all your friends knew before, there is no shame in this. So you’ve eaten the ‘wrong’ foods for you, so what, you know you can correct that. Its better than being a horrible person who cant see it or do anything about it.
    You have recognised it, come to the right place and that can get you back on track. But get on track because you know you feel better for it not to ease embarrassment or to please other people. Take your time, small steps and you can get back to where you were! Keep posting and we will support you and cheer on each step, even if it is just a wee change of mindset. Life is tough, you’ve made it here, you will be ok….

• posted by Britta
    on

Weight is such a terribly emotional thing isn’t it… Anglesand I don’t think there is a single person on this forum who cannot identify with your feelings. And looking at my non-dieting friends on zoom or sometimes now in real life, having put on weight during lockdown seems to be the norm rather than the exception. Now is a great time to take back control. I hope you – and everyone else – have a good week.

I’m starting week 10 today, having finally reached my 2 stone milestone (hurrah!), so I’m feeling more optimistic. My goal for the week is to walk or cycle at least 1 hour every day.

May the force be with us all!

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Well done with your 2st Britta – thats magic!
    And you are right in your other observations. so much emotion associated with weight and health and food….its a challenge for us, and its why we are here!

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

Angelsland, I hear you.
    I went into a panic when I started piling on weight at the beginning of lockdown and as time went on I too wanted to isolate and avoid people. I used my state of desperation to spur me on. I accepted where I was and decided where I wanted to go and WHY. I wrote down these reasons why, cleared my cupboards (very satisfying) and made a bit of a plan.
    With regards to ‘dark times’ I’ve had many, depression, addiction and obesity…. I have been using this Way Of Eating for just over 10 weeks and changes to my body asside, the most remarkable changes have been to my mental health. I am completely blown away by this.
    Cut yourself some slack and try and find some hope, you’ve made the first step by acknowledging to yourself where you’re at and been brave enough to be honest about it here. That’s excellent!
    There’s so much support and love and kindness to be had here as you can see from all the responses to your post. Stick with us….. 🧡🌹🍏

• posted by Kevlondon
    on

First week anniversary, and what a result…I lost 7lbs, Mrs Kev lost 12lb! Although she was in the lead up to ‘time of the month’ which always plays havoc with her weight. Either way, we both did well.
    As I mentioned before, my bloods are now well under control, and they are around 5 whenever I check them, sometimes even below 5.
    Had a small wobble yesterday afternoon – felt really hungry for some reason and ate a thin slice of ham, a piece of cheddar and 2 gluten free crackers. First time that’s happened in a week, luckily didn’t affect bloods.
    Had an iced berry shake for the first time this morning, a nice way to start the day. Looking forward to week 2, and fully expecting the loss to be lower than last week.

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

Hi everyone,
    I had another late night slip up yesterday – dates, Brazils and the best part of a large bar of 90% chocolate. I only bought the chocolate when I popped out for something else last night. If I’m completely honest I was feeling a little emotional and a bit lonely and there seemed to be a gap to fill. Hey ho!
    It’s a new day! It’s about where I go from here….. I think I’ll just have brunch and dinner to get my 14/10 realigned. And lots of water.
    Have a good day all, 🧡🌹🍏

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Morning everyone – am happy to report a good weight loss for last week. 4.5 lb gone! I was super strict and did a 40 hour fast. I plan to be super strict again this week too and hope to lose 2lb. I am also going to commit to a weekly 36 hour fast. My next one will be Monday next week so Sunday evening meal to Tuesday breakfast.

Angelsand, I recognise your name from the forum. Welcome back. You’ve come to a safe and supportive group . I totally understand why you feel frustrated. The last few months have been terribly worrying for us all and we have all struggled with coming to terms with the stress of Covid. Like you, my smaller clothes were skin tight and that’s why I kept trying to get my head around things. It has taken me a few weeks to get myself back on track, up and down the same few pounds but something happened last week and this week I took a no nonsense approach. A few weeks ago I had an idea to be kind to myself, appreciate small things in my life and to try and find the right balance. I think that has helped me find my way to getting back on track. You’ve taken the huge step of coming back, sharing how you feel and now hopefully you will feel inspired, like I did, to get your books out and start the next stage of your journey with us all. Don’t focus on the detour but the next leg of the journey.

Kevlondon- amazing weight loss and blood sugar results for week 1!!! Well done!!
    Britta- wow 2 stone- that is 28 packets of butter gone!

Well done to all the losers this week. Have a great week everyone. Let’s see if we can make July a good weight loss month, chipping away week by week.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Britta, woohoo 🤸‍♂️🌟🤸‍♂️🌟🤸‍♂️!!!!! Congrats on hitting that 2st milestone … BRILLIANT!
    Kev and Mrs Kev, those are impressive results for week one, huge well done to you both.
    Rosy, yesterday is yesterday, you’ve owned the slip-up and have a plan to move forward, which is in itself a positive, so own that too.
    CC, well done on getting rid of 4.5lbs! That’s good progress for a week.
    Butterlover, any loss is a step in the right direction and it sounds like you’re tackling things on all fronts, getting more exercise and looking at portions size etc.., so I’ve no doubt there will be more good news from you at next weigh in.

• posted by Beattie66
    on

Hi Can I start midweek? Fed up now so starting again tomorrow.

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Beatttie66 – you can start whenever you are ready and want to! We will support you when you need it. Why not just start now….. make your next choice a good one? Or at least a better one? If drawing a line and starting fresh tomorrow is right for you, then absolutely go for it! You will feel good for it.
    🙂

• posted by SunnyB
    on

You’re most welcome to start at any point and join in here…. there are fresh starts being made all the time. We’ll look forward to learning about you and sharing your journey too.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, thanks Wendleg for a new week. Look forward to your retirement. I thought I would hate it and not know what to do with myself but like everyone always says, ‘I dont know how I found time to work’. Moving to France coincided in my retirement so everything was new and exciting, watching our new house being built, going out and about, trying restaurants (remember them). Just enjoy it.

Kevlondon, see you are still doing great with the BG and also the weight, congrats to you and MrsKL. I left a message for you at the end of last weeks thread, regarding exercise and snacking. To save me from typing it all again you might want to take a look. I have 4 years experience of this diet, diabetes, exercise and, yes, snacking.

I always used to start me week on a Tuesday, so I could squeeze an extra day in before weekly weigh in but decided it would all start on Monday so today is day 2 and, true to the success of the plan I have already lost 1lb. Not going to let myself get complacent. Oh and that 3lb gain over the last 4 years somehow crept to 5lb after I had a bit of a blow out at the weekend, which is probably why I have lost 1lb so quickly. Will probably need your help when the weekend draws around.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Guys, For the last few months I have been a shadow on the forum, occasionally popping out to answer a question, but not an active participant. Lockdown has led to a period of contemplation for me, although that may be an understatement, it feels more like I was marching head down on a treadmill and someone switched off the power. I have spent the last few months picking myself off, dusting myself, and questioning how I ended up on that treadmill and if I want to get back on again. I have decided I don’t, but I am just starting to pick through the jigsaw pulling out the pieces for the border without any idea what the picture is.

Sorry if this is boring for the long term members of the forum, but for the sake of explaining where I am at, and what I plan for this time on the wagon, I feel like I need to explain my thought processes by starting at the beginning. All my life I had counted calories, and been physically active, and tried every diet going in the book to try to keep body fat under control but was still overweight. The week before a large building project started as part of a complete change of career I slipped when walking down the road and landed with my foot bent back under my leg breaking the bones on both sides of the ankle. Thankfully the bone fragments were all in the right places, but I had a 6 months period of not being allowed to put weight on that foot so ensure that the bones didn’t move before they completely healed. -By the time I was allowed to put weight on that foot, the main structural work of rebuilding an old stone barn on my farm into a big holiday let was completed and 6 months later my career change from IT, to living at home and depending on income from the holiday let had happened. But if I tried to walk on uneven ground or walk for more than half an hour on flat surfaces.the level of shooting pain in my ankle would be difficult to bear. During the years while I struggled on I piled on weight.

Fortunately I came across a trainee physio who didn’t know it wasn’t the done thing to say the NHS consultant is wrong, the pain is caused by a lack of physio at the time, and worked with me to remove the pain. – Once I could walk without pain then it was time to deal with the weight.

The next piece of good look was coming across a Fast 800 book, (I will admit it was the promise of rapid weight loss that attracted me) but it did lead me into starting onto the path of this WoE in October 2017, and joining the discussions on this forum back in December 2017. – I like data, and happily disappeared into a personal research project on why this WoE worked. Last year I got back to the weight range I have normally been during my adult life (a discard of over 40Kg) and decide to spend some time maintaining before getting back on the wagon to try to get to a body I would be proud of.

———— So back to the effect of lockdown ———–

I have been plugging away for years, running the holiday let, seeing to the needs of the horses, dogs, cats, sheep, poultry, every day of the week, every week of the year before dropping onto the settee in front of the TV in an evening with something that is quick to grab from the fridge. – Renovating the barn into a holiday let had gone over budget, so I had to work to build up an emergency fund and then save up the money before I could afford to renovate my house. and even though I had saved up the money I didn’t have the time or to be honest the enthusiasm or vision on how to turn my house into a home. I just couldn’t picture how it would work.

For the first month of lockdown it was just a revelation. I had time to sit out in the garden in the sunshine with a good book while the dogs ran around. – Or just go for a walk and enjoy the shapes of trees. – and then it hit me, I realised I didn’t want to go back to the life I had before lockdown. This was closer to the life I had wanted to achieve when I dropped out of the rat race and moved to a run down

Over the last couple of months I have regained a couple of inches of navel to gaze at, I no longer need to use a belt to prevent my jeans from falling down, but on the positive side I have only gained a couple of inches, I am no where near the size I was when I started on this WoE. I am telling you all this because I am going to get back on the wagon and rejoin the forum, but I realise I need to make a lot of other changes about self care. – Even after a couple of years on the forum I was still in the get to the desired weight / dress size and my life will be good . mindset. – Yes I could walk uphill and be physically active more each day, yes people did remark on the weight I had discarded., but actually I still wasn’t showing myself enough self care. Its take this time of a major change in workload to realise that I still was / am not in a good place with a lot of aspects, one of which is food. I still didn’t make the time to cook healthy meals even now during lock down. Given half a chance I will still turn to chocolate when stressed, I still have to regulate myself to stop myself from heading to the fridge when I need a break from working on paperwork and want to contemplate what to say next.

I nearly went back to my old way of being. The Welsh Government had announced that tourism businesses may be able to reopen from the 13th of July, so I started to make up to do lists and get stressed out. – But then they announced the rules yesterday. – Unlike England and Scotland, its a maximum of 1 household in any self catering holiday let. – So no point in continuing with the plans for buying PPE, and producing risk assessments and going through the 5 page long check list on regulations that we have to comply with produced by Welsh Government, when its highly unlikely that 1 house hold would want to book a 7 bedroom, 32 bed holiday let. 🙂

So big sign of relief, and its back to working on working out how I do want to live. – Sorry for having waffled on, the short version is, hi folks, I am back again, but I have decided that this time I will not just be focusing on ketosis because that’s the way to block physical hunger, I will be off down different rabbit holes about emotional hunger in my spare time and chattering away with any one with the same interest / issues.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Gwen, my story is pretty much the same, without the work as I am retired but as far as dieting and posting. I have, over 4 years managed to maintain my early losses with small gains with holidays (remember them) and losing again. Since lockdown I have been losing all week then putting it back on over the weekend and starting again every Monday, always successful but always sabotaging myself. I want to drop a stone – I was going to do this for my holiday in Spain at the end of August but have decided not to go, too dangerous for a diabetic and a 75 year old with a heart problem. That’s my husband, I am not quite that old. Still have to tell my daughter I am not going with them and there will be a few tears and tantrums but I dont think she understands the risks we face. Thats all folks…

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

JGwen – so lovely to see you back. I totally get where you’re coming from and lockdown did the same for me. It gave me time to think: I retired on 27th March after 40 years in the NHS, the week after lockdown and Covid and lockdown gave me time re-evaluate , to get things into perspective and think of what was important. I realised that being kind to myself was very important, something I’ve never been good at. I think having time has been a valuable lesson to so many of us and in many ways I am thankful for the lessons that lockdown has give me. I know you are a very valuable member of the forum to so many of us with your Knowledge, research and wise words. I am so happy to see you back and working on what works for you. . The scare of Covid has has taught us many lessons about what is and what is not important.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

JGwen, good to see you back. Impressed with your adjusted mindset too. Really pleased we will be part of you plans going forward, as over the years, your researched input has been of huge value to so many.
    This whole lockdown thing has certainly shaken life up for most. I’m sure you’re not alone in using this time to re-evaluate, although I fear for many, the strength to make significant change going forward will be lacking. It’s wonderful you are looking to reinvent your life …. and not for the first time either, which shows great fortitude! It will be exciting to see where you go from here.

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Thanks for sharing JGwen. I relate to a lot of what you say.
    I am also in the camp of feeling like lockdown has been the opportunity to reflect and look at life priorities, and it has helped me find the right way to eat. But it is certainly bigger than just food – you are 100% right that it is ‘self-care’ and that is a holistic thing. I am grateful for the lack of pressure on things away from work and the chance to get myself, my head, my habits and my self acceptance sorted. I have learned something about myself every week, and even when i have had no discard I know i have achieved something even if it is new information or new understanding of my own psyche.
    Here is to a week of caring about ourselves, caring about others and getting life’s journey pointing where WE WANT it to be.

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Morning all! 🌞
    Only 1,5 weeks of work left before a much needed holiday. This spring really has been taxing and some proper rest is needed on my part.
    I’m having my second fasting day of the week today. Started after dinner last night and plan to go until dinner tonight. Are you still in WindyJulz?
    Yesterday was a normal 16:8 day, but fell through when my daughter baked caramel shortbread, had some and then some more. Not disastrous amount, but still disappointed in myself for the self-sabotage. But that was yesterday – now in fasting mode and feeling great.
    Have a good day all!

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Welcome back JGwen! You are such an invaluable source of information on here but this time round it’s really good to hear more about you as a person. Your back story is really interesting and your loss of over 40k is phenomenal! But it’s particularly good that you are now allowing yourself to work on working out how you do want to live. I love the description of your relaxed days early in lockdown. I hope that you find a way forward from here that enables you to run your business (once any kind of normality returns) but not have to get back on the treadmill you describe. I hope that you do find that life you had wanted to achieve. It is still there waiting for you!

I can totally understand the previous mindset you describe about feeling that life will be good when – and only when – you get to the desired weight / dress size. I think many of us on here have fallen into that trap. But, as others have said above, lockdown has been a turning point in that respect. Even though it was an unwelcome change that was forced upon us – and the pandemic has been horrendous in so many ways for so many people – for many of us it has definitely had the effect of making us stop and think.

For me personally it’s been hugely significant. I took early retirement from teaching last year (good luck with your last few days at school Wendleg! x) and ever since then I’ve been restless and feeling I “ought” to be doing this, that and the other. Lockdown was a welcome relief from all that: a chance to regroup and to start really finding my feet as a retiree. I still do some freelance work and have been fortunate enough for that to continue during lockdown. But in the early days of lockdown I was in my usual active scattergun mode and had loads of ideas about learning and doing all kinds of new things to “fill the time”. But I was also worried and tense about the whole situation so felt very lethargic and just wanted to hibernate. Did none of the new things then felt cross with myself. But then decided to go with the flow and let myself take things easier without feeling guilty. And I got to a much happier place where I felt able to accept myself as I am and stop striving all the time. As you say, self-care is so important and we need to find a way of accepting that it’s ok to look after ourselves and cut ourselves some slack. It’s really only over the last month or so that I’ve finally felt like doing a few new things and had the energy and motivation to actually start doing them. Since then I’ve nearly finished the Couch25K and have also felt able to work happily on creative projects for the first time in a long time.

Weight-wise I’m maintaining well and still aiming for my long-term goal of 133lb. I have 9lb to go and am seeing gradual progress, but am mostly prioritising physical fitness and mental well-being at the moment.

Well done everyone for some fantastic losses on here! Keep going and posting! ClarinetCathy I’m so pleased to hear about your recent loss. That’s great progress and you must be over the moon. Those jeans are within sight!

Have a great week everyone X

• posted by caronl
    on

Just popping in to say welcome back to JGwen and thank you for sharing where you are in your thinking. Covid has brought many of us to a screeching stop. So many of the things that seemed important in January look very trivial now. I hope you find a new equilibrium. As you described your place, I couldn’t help wondering if one way forward could be working with charities? Outward Bound, Duke of Edinburgh, Barnado’s? That might prove a lot more rewarding (if not financially..) than some of your truculent tenants. I hope you don’t mind me floating the idea – probably not a new thought! So pleased that you are sticking with us. We started around the same time, and I have been hovering like you. But today is a new month, so I shall come out of the shadows too. Rather like this week in general, as I have ventured onto buses, trams, and into shops and the station after three months of hibernation. Time to move forward, carefully.

Many congrats Clarinet Cathy on your week’s discard. Go girl!

Wishing us all success,

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Hey Olive, yup fasting going as planned. bless your caramel shortbread snaxident…… I wouldnt have been able to only have a small bit either!!
    My week so far… I had a good day fasting on Monday completing 22.5hrs before having my one meal. Then yesterday did my normal 16:8 although the 16 was actually 17.5hrs just the way the day worked. Today is another longer fast, currently 18 hours in and aiming for 22. Actually feel quite good on it and it certainly has helped spur me on and keep better discipline on my not fasting day. Plan is to fast Friday too, before weighing in on Saturday, only complication is we’ve been invited to a BBQ on friday night which will be first real test. But fasting until then is a good idea, then plan to drive so no alcohol, and take all my own food so i can be in control. Temptation and food envy will occur but they are good friends so hopefully will support me rather than try to sabotage!
    Feel like this week may end on a win in may areas, be nice if this could include a pound or two down!

• posted by Britta
    on

This is a distraction exercise. Can I just say that I absolutely will NOT eat any of those biscuits I just bought for the kids, not a single one, not at all, definitely not a single biscuit, NO! Fortunately I can be very stubborn and I will ride this craving out, but having kids (who are at home all…the…time) is not all that helpful! They do not need to lose weight and I am perfectly happy for them to have the occasional biscuit, pizza, cake etc, in fact I don’t think I’d be happy denying them these things altogether. And most of the time lately having the stuff in the house doesn’t bother me. But some days are harder than others and today I had to put a big harvest of fresh raspberries in the freezer because I just wasn’t too sure I could handle the smell of freshly baked raspberry muffins. With that in mind I am quite glad that the holiday to France didn’t happen after all…

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hope you beat out that craving for those biscuits, Britta. You certainly sound very determined!
    Caronl, welcome out of the shadows, good to have you posting again.
    Dreamscometrue, well done on cracking maintenance, which to my mind, can be the most difficult bit of this process.
    Olive, hope you’ve moved past the slip up yesterday and have just got back to things today.
    Julz, well done on the fasting. Like the way you are taking control, your determination is inspirational.

I too believe that self-care is vitally important, not just now with the whole covid thing, but always. It’s important we value ourselves and take time to look after ourselves as well as others … both physically and mentally/emotionally.

• posted by 2eviltwins
    on

Hi, I just signed up to this site and want to start on the Fast 800! I am not even sure where to start??? I have about 15 pounds to lose but more importantly need to help my sugar go down a bit. I only eat fish so after reading the book most of the recipes don’t seem to fit into my diet or budget. Any help would be appreciated. Hope I am posting in the right place.
    Thanks, Muffy

• posted by GreenGal
    on

Hey Muffy,
    Welcome! You have made the best choice by joining the forum, you will get lots of good advice here. From personal experience I would say the thing is to keep it simple. Don’t worry so much about following the recipes, focus on your healthy proteins such as fish, eggs, nuts, healthy oils, some full fat dairy and above ground vegetables. Perhaps brainstorm some meal ideas for example salmon with leafy/green veg and an olive oil/seed dressing, tuna mixed in with avocado 🥑 and a big salad and some seed/nuts.. I have found 2 x excellent recipes that use tinned fish which should fit in your budget.. Don’t be put off by the tinned aspect they are really tasty..The first is using tinned sardines roasted in yellow peppers.. i had that last night was fabulous – tastes very Mediterranean and there is another brill recipe for tuna with green beans. They were both from the FAST 800 book, I know you said you have it so check those two out they were delish! Omelettes if you can eat eggs, great meal ideas on the Diet Doctor website for more ideas with omelettes & frittatas, scrambled eggs with avocado and seeds sprinkled on top… breakfast – many either eat eggs or full fat Greek yoghurt with some berries and again seeds sprinkled on top.. I keep mentioning seeds, especially linseeds/ground or whole as this keeps your gut moving 😃 and drink lots of water!!!!
    I would say focus on getting the foods right in your first week, try to weigh/track your foods if you can using an app like my fitness pal or fat secret and go for it!
    The marvellous people on the forum will be here to help you along the way! I’m sure amazing advice with follow from the more experienced crew here! See you around on the forum! GreenGal 🥦

on

JGwen – Good to hear your story. Unlike you I’m not enjoying life in lockdown as much. Working at home all day doesn’t suit me – I’m much better when I’m in the office and separating work from home.

As someone that uses holiday lets regularly I wouldn’t be put off by having a 7 bedroom place for my family of 4 if the price was the same as something nearby that was 3-4 bedrooms. In fact, I think that having the extra space might be quite nice! So, could it be that, for the time being, you just price it at the same as a smaller property?

I was looking at places to let just yesterday and found the availability is really low right up until October. I think a lot of people have taken their properties off the market, and because people don’t want to go to hotels due to the risks holiday lets are really popular – so I suspect the market might be more bouyant than you think, even if you did keep the price higher!

on

After 5 days of being the same weight, my weight went UP today! Just half a pound, but that was demoralising. However, I measured my waist size to find it was down half an inch since Monday, so thing ARE going in the right direction – it’s just not showing on the scales.

As I mentioned in last week’s forum I would highly recommend measuring waist size as a back-up to track progress.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Muffy – I didn’t follow the recipes when I first started for similar reasons and did what GreenGal is advising. Also to get your sugars down keeping your carbs low is the key.
    GreenGal – I’ll be checking out those recipes. Thanks.
    Right, now, I’m definitely off for that walk……
    Jennie xx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Muffy, I didn’t follow the recipes either. – I started out by cutting out the big carbs, bread, pasta, pizza, sugar, chocolate, rice etc. – Then I moved on to using the fatsecret app on my mobile phone. logging anything I was thinking about eating / drinking and tweaking to reduce the levels of carbs aiming for less than 20g of carbs a day.

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Morning all!
    GreenGal – the sardine recipe looks great. On my list now.
    Jeremy – couldn’t agree more that measuring is so important. Keep up your good work!
    Had my second day of fasting 23 hours yesterday. Not as easy as on Monday, was actually struggling quite a lot yesterday afternoon, feeling faint. The dinner set everything right again, but I’m not sure I will do it again on Friday. I got a flashback to a VLCD diet I did more than 10 years ago, with only drinking shakes for weeks – the faint hunger feeling – and I don’t think it did me any good back then (lost a lot of weight and then put it back on again) so made me a bit weary. I’ll see tomorrow. Are you doing well on your fast WindyJulz?
    I’ve noticed something else with this alternate day fasting – my resting pulse is going right down. I keep track of it via my Fitbit (have done for years) and know it quite well. My resting pulse goes up and down with the time of the month, up with alcohol (very visible – keeps the pulse higher during the night after drinking) and cutting carbs brings it down. Now also this fasting is bringing it down. I always used to think that bring it down was a good thing (you know – athletes – low pulse etc) but now I’m worrying that it is a sign that the body slows down the metabolism. Any thoughts on this?
    Have a great day all!

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

Hello everyone! Hope you’re all having a good week so far.
    Second weigh in of the week and 2llbs discard! So that’s 2llb away from 2st.
    Need to be extra vigilant, my emotions are all over the place AGAIN. I recieved a letter from my abusive ex yesterday after nearly 5 months of no contact and to say it’s upset the Rosyapple cart is an understatement. FFS!
    Keep up the good work! I 🧡🌹🍏

• posted by Britta
    on

Go Rosy – that’s an amazing result on the nearly 2 stone! Less good news on the correspondence, but you’re a lot stronger these days!

Olive it sounds like you’re asking a lot of your body right now. I don’t know about pulse but I have very low blood pressure and my GP maintains that has nothing to do with my metabolism. She checks it regularly and is particularly interested in the relationship btw pressure and pulse, so if you keep having unusually low pulse might be worth just checking that?
    I managed to lose 1 lb after my cravings stand off yesterday. I was kind of pleased about that but at the same time i do recognise a slightly risky path ahead when I see it, so I have decided to up calories for a bit. I don’t like leaving this to willpower…if I have to have those sorts of willpower tests too many days in a row, I will trip one day, so I’d rather do this in a more controlled manner and add say 200 calories a day for a bit so I don’t get hungry.

It still fascinates me how we are all learning to understand how our individual bodies and minds work!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Thank you all for your comments and support. – I am looking forward to having the opportunity to spend all my time doing the work that I normally use as a “treat” that I normally only allow myself to do once I have done the “must do” tasks.

In reply to the question about the monthly thread as well as the weekly on. – With many thanks to all those who have kept the weekly thread such a vibrant thread, a monthly thread has always been my preference. Although apart from the changes in the sections in the newspaper at a weekend Wendys cheerful creation and promotion of the new weekly thread is one of the few ways that I notice the passing of another week.

• posted by 2eviltwins
    on

Thanks so much! I don’t care for canned tuna but will try your recipe (sounds yummy) with canned salmon. How many carbs per day do you recommend? Since I do eat lentils or beans normally I will switch over to fish or eggs as you suggest and cut out other carbs. I am fasting until lunch since breakfast is not too important to me anyway and I am hoping this will help. Today is my first day….

• posted by 2eviltwins
    on

Thanks so much. I am starting today. 20g of carbs seems almost impossible compared to what I normally eat. Can someone give me a sample menu of a day on 20g…since I eat a lot of lentils/beans /fruit I am thinking that is causing the problem. Even some vegetables have more carbs than I think?

on

Breakfast: Cheese
    Lunch: Meat
    Dinner: Fish

I jest, but if we’re honest it’s not far off the truth if you add in salad or veg into the mix. Strawberries and raspberries are the best fruit to have as both are comparatively low carb.

Personally I have spoonfuls of clotted cream as a treat – low carb, but high calorie. Nuts can be okay too.

Please log in or register to post a reply.