ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning June 1st 2020

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

After some difficult moments of disappointment and disillusionment ( 3Ds ..get me !!) our lovely members have accepted this is a long term process, to forgive themselves for the occasional drift when things get tough and to pick themselves up and keep going.

There is renewed enthusiasm and we have had some uplifting results so let’s capitalize on this spirit and energy to embrace JUNE and make it a great month of reboot, renewal, revival, you get the picture !

Take it ONE WEEK AT A TIME …

I am tempted to shout out to those who haven’ t posted for a while but I don’t want to put pressure on anyone.If you are reading this and you have been less active on the thread, throw off any feelings of shame and regret if that is what is holding you back and just check in and carry on .You will always be made welcome. Look forward, never backward.
    So I will just, as always, post the list of our contributors and we look forward to hearing from you all
    Wendy and Sunny

• posted by wendleg
    on

This is our ever growing list of contributors. Feel free to pop in whatever you are going through, we are here to support everyone !
    SunnyB
    Merrymelba
    Niamh and Dean ( Neegan)
    EC
    Caronl
    Clarinet cathy
    Bryla
    Windyjulz

Georgiejeorge
    oLive 1
    Puddy
    Dreamscometrue
    Gattina
    melH
    rosyapple
    LovesGroodles

timetochange
    Patricia
    Articfox
    Double Dutch
    PTR
    Britta
    Film24
    Rebeccakershaw
    JGwen (of course !!)

PlumpGoose
    Russianroulade
    DebbieDarko
    weebleswobble
    nicoles212
    Steviep
    Zuzuvela
    Frog
    GreenGal
    EachPeach
    SusieMac1957
    Limes254
    Butterlover
    PhoenixBurns
    Quetzal
    Waitaminute
    Riccoh

• posted by SunnyB
    on

It seems from those posting at the end of last week’s thread, that the start of a new month has most of us buzzing with energy and positive outlooks, determined to forge ahead and make it count.

However if this isn’t the case for you right now, take a deep breath and consider a reboot…. now is as good a time as any.
    “Though no-one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.” (Quote from Carl Bard)
    It’s never too late to make a difference.😁

• posted by DoubleDutch
    on

Hi all,
    I’m in for this week. The talk about having control, it’s in my head for a while now, too. Finally, I feel like I have the tools. I talked with my mum about cravings, especially when alone. How do you avoid these, and how can you handle them. I haven’t really solved the riddle of avoiding them, I know I don’t crave carbs anymore, but sometimes a piece of cheese is calling, no, shouting my name. Or so it seems. Not sure if and how I can avoid this. But handling this situation, after 5 months on this plan, is much easier. I’m in control. My mother asked me how, and I told her about the WHY. I’ve learnt so much here from everyone here, I’m glad I found this safe place. Now, onwards we go. Good luck this next week everyone! DD

• posted by Britta
    on

Hi all
    I love a new week – and a new month at that – What Wendleg said: Reboot, renewal, revival!
    This will be week 6 for me. I’ve lost 19lbs so far, but what is almost better is that I have gained control of my eating! In 5 weeks I have had 3 meals a day, not a single snack, no sugar. My cravings have gone. I feel hunger without getting into a flap about it. I have days of no weightloss without getting into a flap about it. And in the last week I have had to leave food on my plate because I was full. I feel strong!
    At the risk of sounding evangelical, to new people: Stick with this, dig deep, you’ll feel amazing!
    To the gang of usual suspects – You rock, I get so much support and energy from following this diet with you!
    One more week – may the force be with you!

• posted by wendleg
    on

That’s brilliant DoubleDutch ! That is a major shift in mind set and I really believe it is key. You have cracked the cravings so just believe in your ability to get where you want to be. YOU choose your healthy , low carb foods, YOU are in control , no longer being controlled !

That is a brilliant result too, Britta..look at you ! You seem to have reached a calm place, not getting into a flap about anything ..in such a short time.
    I too can be a bit evangelical, Britta 😉

• posted by Riccoh
    on

The start of day 3 for me. Early days I know. My SIL is having a gastric sleeve done in 2 weeks and wanted to have a last hurrah yesterday before her pre-op diet starts so invited me to lunch at a cafe. Not what I had planned but I had a small crepe with veges , no mayo. Best choice from the available menu. That was 1pm. I didn’t eat again in the evening. Each to their own but I would not take the path she’s taking. I really feel I can do this. Getting my head around it. Stay strong everyone, especially if you are starting out like me. Looking forward to more of the great support from everyone who contributes to this forum. How was yesterday waitaminute?

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

I’m in for the week.
    And I’ve just been flapping. So glad I came on here, I’ve almost regained control. It’s amazing how quickly it can all go to pieces.
    Not craving anything in particular, just wanted something…..anything, and now. Argh. Had a little bit of ham to keep the carbs low, then a sneaky square of 90% choc. Bah – annoyed at self but ‘needed’ something. Dinner was at 5:30…. then we did some extreme gardening, worked 2 horses, did 30 mins boxing HIIT and did horse chores for the evening…. I came inside hungry! So annoying.
    Anyway, probs takes me to about 1000 calories…. this seems to be my ‘comfort’ level…. really struggle to be at 800 but 1000 feels easy. It it actually the difference of 200 calories intake or is it in my head?!
    I don’t feel in control yet.
    I can do long fasts – was 24hrs before dinner, but when I start to eat I’m not in control.
    I’m frustrated.
    Sorry to bring down the positivity of the thread….
    come on Julz, get a grip and get June sorted!!

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Good morning all,
    Riccoh, yesterday was all good. I didn’t eat until 2pm and had Greek yoghurt,chia seeds and berries which was yummy. It kept me full untill nearly dinner time but I think the hunger then was just caused by it being our normal snacky time, and the mindset of what used to be. Anyway I drank lots of fizzy water and a fruit tea infusion and it passed. Although hubby decided he “couldn’t waste” a bowl of chips so his tagging along on this WOE didn’t last long 😂😂
    Dinner was fish and salad ..
    I agree with Britta, there is so much support from this group, no-one is ever judgemental ..thank you all😍.
    🖐️😊

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone.wow such a positive vibe.Im trying a new approach.the last few times that I started,I went all out with a complete change immediately went to 800 calories.This time I’m removing the problem foods slowly.starting with bread and butter and late night eating .Yesterday I was good till 11pm when I had corn thins and butter.I had convinced myself I need to eat before bed.which of course I don’t. Also corrected my fluid intake.So my weight is up to 92kg.Im hoping a slower pace will be more effective long term.As I really need to make long term changes.I also intend to exercise more .The gym will be open next week and even though Im not fond of exercise Im really looking forward to it.Ihope you everyone has a good week remember to be kind to yourself and others.

• posted by GreenGal
    on

Hey all, first day of June and my first fast of the month is complete .. I went to bed a bit early with a Netflix series to take my mind off food .. just had a morning coffee and thinking of pushing the through on the fast until lunch.. I am used to fasting in the morning it’s the evenings that are more challenging for me and I really want to make June count!
    I have enjoyed reading everyone’s affirmations On the new thread and willingness to dust off and double down on the goals for this month.. it just reminds me how we are playing the long game here .. we want changes for life not just for Summer, although that would be lovely too! 😀
    WindyJulz a bit of dark choc and a slice of ham after an evening of exercise sounds like a very good choice for a BSD friendly treat and you must have been so hungry after all that exercise .. well done you were very restrained .. just think about what it would have been pre-BSD! Good choices!! Here’s to day 2! GreenGal 🥦

• posted by GreenGal
    on

Also .. thanks for the new thread guys, Wendy & Sunny and for the effort to keep this forum humming away and Britta & DoubleDutch excellent results .. I hope that by the time I hit 5 weeks I have a similar results, I know they are achievable it just depends on me! GG 🥦

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    My first day back at work while trying to fit in morning exercise before work. I’m glad it was just yoga today as I was a little sore from the last couple of days. I did feel slimmer today. I don’t think I am though as my goal capris don’t seem to be fitting any looser yet. It might just be my imagination, but my face does look less round, more oval today. My skin is definitely looking good though, that is not just my imagination. So I guess I can count that as a NSV?
    I had a good day at work today. My new boss vindicated me on a screw up that some colleagues and their supervisors were responsible for a few weeks ago. He also promised to try to fix the disinfectant situation if the OSH committee doesn’t get their act together on it soon. Luckily today there were only a few others in the office today on my floor, so no one used any disinfectant. It made such a difference to how I felt when I came home.
    My two meals today were breakfast (greek yogurt with hemp seeds and berries) and lunch (mini frittatas, salad leaves from my balcony and some cabbage crisps – they turned out to be quite nice!), as planned. I avoided eating ice cream bars that someone had brought in and was pressuring people to eat before they melted by pleading my food allergies. I did end up having a bit of cheese when I arrived home, just out of habit more than anything, but I think it did help me stick to not having dinner. I barely even noticed not eating an evening meal as I’m not hungry. I just did some gentle stretching and household chores instead. I am normally good about not eating too close to when I go to bed, but it will be interesting to see if stopping eating even earlier will help me sleep better.
    Julz – don’t be too hard on yourself. With all the activity you are doing, it would not be surprising for you to be hungry. If you are fasting as well, you may want to alternate with some higher calorie days, still eating on plan, just so your body doesn’t think it is starving. I find that works quite well for me, and I’ve actually dropped more weight doing that than just trying to stick to the 800 cal.
    Butterlover – the gradual approach was what I more or less did when I started back too, and it seems to be working rather better for me. I would love to go back to the gym as I’m starting to get strong enough to add some weights to my workouts and I have only minimal equipment at home. With my asthma though, I think it is going to take a long while for me to feel comfortable going back into such an enclosed space, even though it may open in the next few weeks.

• posted by EC
    on

hello friends…I’m also in for another week (and then another etc…)-thanks Wendy for your diligence in acknowledging everyone (I often need to go back and check how people spell their pseudonyms!!)
    I’ve been spending a lot of time reading fasting/TRE and management of insulin blogs to keep me inspired….also for a friend just diagnosed as pre-diabetic…..she’s in NSW but has promised to buy the Blood Sugar Diet book and hopefully we can go forward together by phone and email!!
    I’ve done a couple of days of OMAD (although still having soymilk in my tea and coffee) but have still been in ketosis most days

However, I do need to get a day of meetings doe this week as well as a grant application by Friday so back to work I go!!

go well all and keep up the enthusiasm-it’s inspiring me for sure!

• posted by EachPeach
    on

Already so many inspiring posts! Here for my week 6 and, after a somewhat turbulent week 5, I’m ready to refocus in on a strict 800 with carbs below 20 grams. Quite determined to make it a good week 🙂

• posted by zuzuvela
    on

Hello all, I’m in Week 8 now and I’ve lost 12.4kg altogether. I’m very pleased with this and my plan is to finish on 12 July, switching to 4:3 and 5:2. Last week was a stall and I also had a stomach bug for a few days with no exercise, but I managed to stick to the diet. I feel back on track today and made a good start this morning drinking loads of water.

Other than that, I’ve been reading up on nutrition over the last few weeks, including Lisa Mosconi’s Brain Food and I’m going through Greger’s How not to Die and How not to Diet. I highly recommend Brain Food, it’s research-based and a great incentive to protect your brain (she also recommends intermittent fasting and time-restricted eating). Greger’s books are also heavily research-based and although I’m planning to turn vegan as he promotes, there are some interesting ideas in his books. What attracted me to Mosley’s books was that they’re based on research, which I find much more compelling than all the fad diets around.

• posted by Britta
    on

Just wanted to echo Greengal – In comparison to you I do almost no exercise at the moment Windy, so its probably not surprising that you seem to get hungry more than I do.
    I have a dodgy knee so all I do is the occasional walk. I have been eyeing up a Quigong/Tai Chi Routine on youtube which I’m thinking I might see if I could get into (I think I found that in a thread on here somewhere, SunnyB? Wendleg?) but that is just about as active as I’m intending to get until I’m past the 800 calories phase.

I use the Fatsecret app and I’m pretty sure it has a feature where you can add in what exercise you have done which it then counts against the calories consumed – that might give you a better picture of where you are at?

• posted by Britta
    on

Zuzu that’s amazing – well done!!

• posted by Britta
    on

And EachPeach, I’m glad to see you, I told you you’ve got this! ;-D

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Thanks Britta, Greengal and arcticfox. #i find the exercise thing difficult – i am generally pretty active either side of my 8-5 working day and often at lunch time too. And I’m sure it does make me hungrier….however from the Fast800 book and from what i have read here exercise isnt an excuse to go over the calories.. I do tend to log it in FatSecret but even then I dont think i can just add an extra couple of hundred calories to ‘compensate’. It does mean i try not to beat myself up too much if im nearer 900 but its difficult. I’ve always been pretty active and I know that exercise in itself will not contribute to loosing weight – you cant out-train a bad diet – I did intensive consistent 3 days a week classes for 3 years, got bitter, more toned and lost no significant weight at all. I play badminton 2-3 times a week through the winter, do a lot of outdoor stuff through the summer and I am still over weight – its the diet i need to fix. I will admit to being greedy and undisciplined up until now for sure. But i feel i dont “deserve” to be so chunky. I will immediately follow that up with the fact i have made peace with the fact, life is not fair and although others (hubby) can easily live my old lifestyle and remain slim, i cannot. That is ok, we are not all the same and I need to be careful and more disciplined.
    I want the exercise to be an excuse to eat more, but really i do think a lot of it is in my head rather than physical hunger – my brain tells me ‘you’ve exercised, you deserve food’. Last night was like an itch i couldnt satisfy, didnt know what i ‘wanted’ but i felt i ‘wanted ‘ something….nothing really fixed the feeling and i did feel uncomfortably full when i went to bed. I feel there is a mental element i still need to overcome.

Sorry peeps, hi-jacking the thread but it is so useful to think it through in the cold light of the morning when I am happy with an empty tummy.
    As always love reading other peoples posts and taking inspiration from you all.The support here is so good and we do seem to all be in it together at the moment! Thanks you – and big shout out to Wendy and Sunny for taking the time to encourage us all. So much learning and self discovery on the go….

• posted by Steviep
    on

Morning all- so thats 3 weeks done, and still sticking to the regime.
    Week 3 was more disconcerting, as the weight loss stayed static for a number of days, but trying to do more exercise I tore a calf muscle, (and have a haematoma there)so was inactive for 4 days!! so I can only report a 1 kilo weight loss, which was hard fought.

In overall terms I have lost a good amount over the 3 weeks, but speed of reduction has really plateaued..this is where , I guess we need to keep the faith.

Hopefully resumption of walking again will have a beneficial contribution.

Good luck to one and all..

• posted by wendleg
    on

Indeed Riccoh, I am grateful not to have resorted to surgery to deal with my obesity but I will admit the idea did briefly cross my mind when I was at my heaviest.
    I am not judging your SIL or anyone else who chooses surgery but if we trust ourselves enough to retrain our attiude to food and tackle the cravings we can achieve lasting results and find peace in healthy eating habits.It’s interesting that your SIL needed a celebratory meal before her pre op diet ?? She is already anticipating deprivation ?
    I think your approach is the way to go, Riccoh and I wish you every success.

Julz, you are doing great, don’t panic !! You don’t need to put pressure on yourself …if you need 1000 calories that’s not going to throw you off course. You have to find what is sustainable for you without you feeling deprived . Your exercise will boost your health and you are making good food choices. Are you trying to control too much ??

Maybe JGwen can help here with her research on protein ?

Well done Waitaminute. My hubby favours salty snacks too ! Maybe you will be able to encourage your hubby to join you as you continue and make progress, just cutting out the starchy veg with meals , and no bread ?

Butterlover …you have said in the past you struggle with emotional eating and cravings, especially bread.
    I think you are doing the right thing…it will be tough at first but eliminating the carbs is the way to go ( especially to tackle (pre) diabetes. Don’t think of yourself as being ‘good’ or ‘bad ‘ ! Plan your melas..www.dietdoctor.com gives some great recipe ideas and visuals.
    Butterlover….celebrate when you have a day without bread or other carbs and take it a day at a time…trust yourself. Keep checking in with us.

All the best to you for a great week, Greengal !

Glad things are getting sorted at work ,arcticfox ,especially re the disinfectant. I love your commitment and determination whatever obstacles arise . Well done on resisiting that ice cream….yukky stuff .

Hi EC ! Yes, I loved doing all the reading on nutrition, fasting etc, couldn’t get enough !! It served to really ram the message home for me . You could suggest your frend in NSW join us on the forum…so she can address and reverse any pre diabetes ?

Keep going Eachpeach and wishing you a great week !

Zuzuvela …you are well on track..that’s a great result. I think incorporating some form of intermittent fasting is a good plan as you go forward after 12th July .

Britta, I am with you on the exercise ..Qigong and yoga it is until I can get back to aquagym. I have never thought in terms of exercise giving me a few more calories as a bonus..I am no athlete so I can only do what makes me feel good. Qigong would be very gentle on your knee .

Hi Steviep ! Definitely don’t lose the faith ! A kilo discard for the week is brilliant . Don’t panic about any plateaux ..I think I read that Week 3 is notorious for that but just keep going .

I had better get back to my marking now.
    Have a great day everyone !

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

Hello everyone!
    Wow, such a lot going on here!
    I am speaking to you post binge ( last night -5 biscuits, 2 rice cakes, butter, soft cheese, jam and a bag of crips) and with a painful period 😦 (and now with the added woe of having just lost my post!) Here goes again!
    I did a double shift with the girls yesterday and while the morning went like a dream the afternoon/evening one not so. One of the girls was terribly upset and quite challenging.
    I ate a good dinner and was disappointed at not having reached my 800cal goal. I substituted one fish for another as I couldn’t get what I wanted in the supermarket. Who knew that 2 types of white fish could vary so much in calorie content?
    I think this, the stress, the arrival of my period, the tiredness and the fact that I couldn’t hug my sister and niece earlier in the day caused me to feel quite sad. (I live alone)
    I’m sorry for not being positive but I just don’t feel it.
    How do you stick to 800cals??? It feels like the holy grail!!! I’m wondering if it might be better to take the 5:2 approach??? With 14/10 fasting. I think the pressure of chasing 800cals is stressful and this could be counterproductive. At the same time though I am anxious about losing some bulk as summer is here and I feel uncomfortable.
    Aaaaaagh! I am feeling very sorry for myself.
    So far I have achieved –
    1. One stone loss.
    2. Ditched the high carbs, excepting a few snaxidents.
    3. I can do 12/12 & 10/14 comfortably.
    4. I do enjoy the BSD foods immensely.
    5. I can be honest here.
    So, it’s a new day and I am going to eat 800cals today and tomorrow which I shall check on Fatsecret before I eat…..
    That’s enough for now. Thanks all for your contributions and wishing you all a good and successful day, much love 🌹🍏

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh Rosy..it’s ok
    I think you have recognised what happened …stress, fatigue, sadness etc . You know that combination equates to the risk of looking for comfort which is normal ! My suggestion , if it helps, is to say to go over on the calories if you must but stick to low carb foods so you are not spiking your blood sugar and kicking off the cravings after the sugar high then …..slump.
    Make sure the snacky foods are not within reach during those danger times ..? You say you have ditched the high carbs..now you have to ditch the unhealthy snacks 😉 You enjoy BSD foods so allow yourself a few healthy snacks..a few nuts, seeds, a bit of Greek yoghurt.
    We always say you have to find what works and is SUSTAINABLE for you . You have already discarded a stone Rosy so you can choose whether you want to carry on at the same pace or if you decide to transition to 5:2 which will slow things down.I would be cautious that if you are feeling a bit vulnerable the ‘feeding’ days could lead to a few excess and you knwo what happens then.
    We are all learning Rosy and there are many positives in your post which you acknowledge so give yourself a pat on the back, accept there are danger moments whan you feel sad etc but know you can still prepare for them and continue to have great results.

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Rosyapple – I am in a very similar place, and I think i might take Wendy’s advice and not be too rigid about the 800 calories, but be strict with the low carb. This will make it more sustainable and stop me feeling deprived…..hopefully. Realistically i have been nearer 950 calories a lot of the time and still discarding slowly….. but i am beating myself up over it as i feel im failing to be on plan….. I think i need to plan around the 950 mark and be ok with that – realistically it is still a really good calorie intake over a prolonged period of time and with good eating principles and really really ought to result in weightloss and all the other health benefits. Finding our way is difficult.
    You have come such a long way and achieved such a lot. I love that you are able to be honest here and recognise your achievements.
    Be kind to yourself

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

Wendleg, thank you!
    You’re right about the snacks, I think it would be a good idea for me to take some BSD nibbles with me when I’m babysitting and allow some grace on those evenings which are one or two a week. I’m fine when I’m at home as no dangerous temptations here.

WindyJulz, we must stop beating ourselves up. Really.
    I too have actually found a comfortable place around 950, sometimes 1050. Perhaps this is where we are supposed to be??? It is for sure a happier place for me. Maybe that’s the compromise I need to make to take the pressure off instead of going 5:2 this early on. Food for thought, the experiment continues!!
    Hang on in there! 🌹🍏

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi all, I’m in for another week.
    Lost 0,5 kg over the last week which seem to be my average after the initial greater loss the first couple of weeks. Slowly but surely I’m getting there. And I don’t feel the least deprived.
    Rosyapple and WindyJulz, I would recommend to not be so strict with the 800 cal. If that ends up derailing you from this WOE, it’s much better to find a level that you can sustain and be happy with. The weight loss may be slower, but you will feel more satisfied.
    I tend to focus on keeping the carbs low, but also here I would advocate to keep some common sense. Carrots and sweet peas is not going to make me fat. Listening to for example Dr Robert Cywes, he is basically saying that carbs from vegetables don’t count at all. Eating veg is healthy.
    Lately I have listened a lot to Dr Jason Fung and feel really inspired by the when to eat, not just what to eat.
    He is also very good in explaining the role of insulin. It’s a little bit hard to hear, but if we don’t manage to make our bodies sensitive to insulin again (most of us will be more or less insulin resistant) there is really no point in restricting the number of calories we eat. If the body can not access the fat we have stored up, the body will turn down the metabolism to match our intake – no matter how low. Any slip-up in over eating will then result in weight gain.
    But if we through low carb eating and intermittent fasting can make ourselves sensitive to insulin again and start burning fat, any calorie deficit below your metabolic rate will result in weight loss.
    So my advice would really be to focus on giving your body the best shot at fixing the insulin, and the rest will follow.
    It may also be easier to resist the temptations and cravings if you think about that this snack will break the process of my body healing itself.
    If you feel up to it, here is a rather long interview with Jason Fung (I watched it over two days).
    https://youtu.be/jXXGxoNFag4
    Have a great week all!

• posted by Riccoh
    on

Day 4 for me. I have a 10am Zoom training session which I always look forward to. Exercise is not a problem for me. Just food. I have stuck to 14:8 and under 800 cals for 3 days. Youngest son is coming for dinner. Planning to have zucchini cannelloni and salad. Instead of pasta I use strips of zucchini and a vege and ricotta filling. Have a great day everyone. Feeling positive. My husband is still snacking but has joined me on TRE which has been a great help to me. No eating after 7pm so no snacking in front of the TV which was always a big problem. I’ve always been a night snacker. Sometimes waking in the night to grab say a piece of cheese. 3 days without doing this has been quite something for me. I hope to break the habit for good. Years ago I went on a diet and gave up milk in my coffee at the suggestion of the Dr. An extreme diet at the time under medical supervision. I was taking Duromine. That was nearly 40 years ago. Anyway, I gave up milk for a while and the habit just stuck with me. I hope to change so many bad habits this time around. My snacking is usually healthy food but too much of a good thing! I love fatty snacks like cheese and nuts. Have a great day everyone.

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Good morning everyone,
    Rosy look at all those positives you listed, you go girl😊 so you had a glitch, you wouldn’t be human if you didn’t. We all have that. Dust yourself off , you have got this 😊👍.
    I snacked too after our bike ride😕 it was probably a few more pistachios than I should have and a bit more feta cheese than I should have but no matter, it’s done and today is a new day.
    Greengal I too use Netflix to keep my mind off food 👍
    I am not doing the calorie counting, for me I find it easier to watch the carb intake and it worked for me last time and it is working this time I’ve gone from 63 kilos down to 62.6 so it’s heading in the right direction.
    Riccoh , how are u doing???
    Lunch today will be yoghurt, chia seeds and berries and dinner is chicken soup. There’s no feta left so that can’t sneak in to my mouth and there’s only a handful of pistachios left so I can’t guarantee they will still be there at the end of the day 😂
    Keep going ladies, we can do this even if we fall off the wagon every now and then, it’s not the end of the world..it took a lifetime of bad eating to get us where we are but we have the know how, to rectify it..soooo let’s do this
    Stay happy, safe and beautiful
    😊🖐️

• posted by GreenGal
    on

Morning!
    Super energy on the thread people! Finding the posts really encouraging, the honesty with with which people are posting about their ups and downs is truly helpful to me as it makes me feel that I’m not alone with my personal struggles. people are all facing the same or similar issues, tripping up maybe even falling down at times but they are getting up, and getting up again and again … and I think that is the key!
    WindyJulz, how are you getting on.. I’m not exactly galloping but still shuffling forward … Are you doing a fast day today or have you decided it’s not the right time yet? I’m not sure whether I’m doing a 16 a 24 hour fast today.. I want to see what my body is telling me .. but either way I will track my cals/carbs and post as I think it’s going to be key to my long term progress.
    WindyJulz, EachPeach, Zuzuvela, StevieP, Riccoh, RosyA, Britta, DD, EC, Waitaminute, Butterlover, Articfox, Wendy and SunnyB – thanks one and all for posting this week, so encouraging to see everyone pushing forward at various stages of their journeys. In the words of the great Billy Ocean .. “when the going gets tough, the tough get going!” He knew what he was talking about …Think we are going to get some great results both on and off the scales this week! GreenGal 🥦

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi all, onwards and downwards!
    I’m in for another week.
    Lost 0,5 kg over the last week which seem to be my average after the initial greater loss the first couple of weeks. Slowly but surely I’m getting there. And I don’t feel the least deprived.
    Rosyapple and WindyJulz, I would recommend to not be so strict with the 800 cal. If that ends up derailing you from this WOE, it’s much better to find a level that you can sustain and be happy with. The weight loss may be slower, but you will feel more satisfied.
    I tend to focus on keeping the carbs low, but also here I would advocate to keep some common sense. Carrots and sweet peas is not going to make me fat. Listening to for example Dr Robert Cywes, he is basically saying that carbs from vegetables don’t count at all. Eating veg is healthy.
    Lately I have listened a lot to Dr Jason Fung and feel really inspired by the when to eat, not just what to eat.
    He is also very good in explaining the role of insulin. It’s a little bit hard to hear, but if we don’t manage to make our bodies sensitive to insulin again (most of us will be more or less insulin resistant) there is really no point in restricting the number of calories we eat. If the body can not access the fat we have stored up, the body will turn down the metabolism to match our intake – no matter how low. Any slip-up in over eating will then result in weight gain.
    But if we through low carb eating and intermittent fasting can make ourselves sensitive to insulin again and start burning fat, any calorie deficit below your metabolic rate will result in weight loss.
    So my advice would really be to focus on giving your body the best shot at fixing the insulin, and the rest will follow.
    It may also be easier to resist the temptations and cravings if you think about that this snack will break the process of my body healing itself.
    Have a great week all!

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi again, If you feel up to it, here is a rather long interview with Jason Fung (I watched it over two days).
    https://youtu.be/jXXGxoNFag4

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

Hi everyone 😊
    I managed just over 800cals yesterday, woo hoo!
    And I’m going for it again today.
    Today I am going to listen to a Jason Fung and Dr Cwyes to see if I can learn more about insulin resistance. It’s likely that I am resistant as I have PCOS. I’m determined to make this WOE work for me. It’s weigh in for me tomorrow so we’ll see how I’ve done !
    Great see everyone here posting away, thanks for your encouragement 🌹🍏

• posted by EC
    on

Thanks Olive_1….strange-I’ve known of Jason Fung for years but never really engaged…..am very convinced by his work now after JGwen’s links, so thanks for a new one!!
    Rosyapple-congratulations!! -interestingly, many researchers believe that if you can reverse insulin resistance, most other PCOS symptoms will also resolve-wishing you well with it
    Wendleg-I doubt I’d get my friend to join the forum yet-but will recommend it once she’s read the book 😉 ! she’s taking her own responsibility for her health seriously, which is great (I want my friends to be around for a long time too!)

• posted by Bryla
    on

Hi everyone. Signing in late this week, but still here. Well done to everyone keeping at it, whatever the challenges.

I’m really familiar with the feeling of ‘needing something’, especially in the evening, but it’s definitely true for me that the something doesn’t have to be food. It could be, but I’m usually looking for some feeling of reward which I need to get somewhere else. I am reading Fung’s Complete Guide to Fasting and had a eureka moment when I saw that ghrelin (our hunger hormone) is at it’s highest at around 8pm. I wish I’d known that before. It would have helped me make sense of those evening munchies (I am past them now, thankfully). I think the important takeaway might be that the rise in ghrelin in driven by circadian rhythms- it isn’t a sign that we haven’t eaten enough.

I listened to a podcast this morning about motivation and procrastination (Radio 4 All in the Mind). It’s not about eating specifically, but I found it helpful. The most relevant point for me was that when we’re struggling to get things done or stay on track, being critical of ourselves is the worst thing we can do and just makes us feel worse and holds us back . I think we all know that, but so many of us still fall into the trap time and again.

I’m still aiming for maintenance, but have discarded a further 1.2lbs. For the first time I can remember I’ve actually lost my appetite, which I think is a combination of stress and the recent heat. So, I’m not doing as well with upping calories as I should. But, I am increasingly convinced that it’s mostly about the low carb primarily as others are suggesting. For me, even had I been at about 1000 calories that still would have been easily a couple of thousand less than I was hoovering down on many days pre-BSD. Maybe that’s true for others too? I wonder whether it’s important to recognise the huge improvements we have all made rather than pinning everything on the 800 target. That might be ideal, but aren’t we being vastly kinder to our bodies and improving our health enormously without achieving calorie perfection? I think so. I find it crucial to have a target for guidance and if it’s low, going a bit over won’t be catastrophic. It’s there to help us, I think, not an end in itself or another excuse for self-flagellation!

DoubleDutch- for me it has been time and determination that has zapped the cravings. I don’t think there’s a way to avoid them, as such. They are like voices calling to us, or having a full tantrum at times, but we don’t have to believe their propaganda. Like a person egging us on to do something we know we shouldn’t, we can definitely trust our judgment that we are wiser and more likely to act in our own best interests. The craving is not my friend- it wants to laugh at me, not with me. It’s not easy, but it gets easier and eventually the person/craving gives up and goes to look for mischief elsewhere.

Lots of love and messages of admiration to BSD friends around the world! We can do it. We are already doing it!

• posted by EachPeach
    on

Bryla – your post is so interesting to me – and what a great description of cravings. I hope your journey to maintenance becomes easier.

Rosyapple – congratulations on sticking at 800! I did the same yesterday and plan for a solid week (and more)

Olive1 – thank you for the great resources. It’s great how much you can learn through this process!

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

So much useful information and thoughts from you all – thank you so much!
    I’m in my morning positive frame of mind – always seem positive in the morning and struggle in the afternoon /evening – interesting Bryla about the hunger hormone in the evening, I shall keep that in mind!!
    Yesterday was a significantly over calories wise but reasonable on the carb front sort of day – but it was a conscious decision, both hubby and i feeling quite tired and drained yesterday so i planned to eat 3 good BSD friendly meals and have a quiet evening. I enjoyed the quiet evening more than the eating so must focus on that and remember the feelings.
    So my plan…… from reading all the inputs etc….. not be hard on myself re the 800 calories but keep strict on the carbs. That is very achievable and sustainable. I do 16-8 fasts the majority of the time so i will stick to that and add in some longer fasts – quite enjoy a 23 hour fast. Today i will plan for a 36 hour fast as I’m very keen to test the water with this, see how i feel in the morning after it and to almost break the cycle of an evening focused on food. If i get to dinner time and dont feel up to it i will have a salad and be content with the 23 hour fast.
    Greengal – did you manage 36 hours? How did you feel for it? Any words of wisdom?

Honestly, I really want to get myself on an even keel – i feel great, positive and motivated every morning, go through to lunchtime without eating or being food focused and then i seem to slide downhill and feel quite down by the evenings, to the point of feeling like it might be too hard and not worth it….. such a massive mental swing almost every day. I think i need to go back and look at the first 2 weeks where i felt great the whole time, took pride in the evenings and seemed more content. Have i changed much? Is it just the novelty factor wearing off – both with the WOE and lockdown?
    I’ll pop on here at about 4pm and see if i can get my head space right……. I so want to remain positive all day!!

Rosyapple – well done on the 800 calories!! Go you! Chuffed for you!!

• posted by GreenGal
    on

Hi WindyJulz, well done I know you are successful with 24 hour fasts.. it’s just a bit of an extra push to get through the evening and your are done! I managed 42 hours – last meal on Sun eve and broke the fast with lunch on Tuesday. I found it was important to take my mind of food by keeping busy with other tasks, so did some cleaning, sorted out some drawers and then went to bed fairly early and watched Netflix and I had a book to read on standby – felt luxurious to have some time to myself. I also enjoyed drinking ginger or fennel tea in the evening.. it was warm and comforting. I watched some good videos on fasting too from the Diet Doctor site which helped remind me why I was doing it.
    I am planning another next Sun-Tues – it seems to fit in well with my life at the beginning of the week when I’m eager for a good start. Hope it goes well for you today.. will be routing for you!!!! GG 🥦

• posted by Bryla
    on

Julz – I’m so interested in what you say about how you feel now compared to the first couple of weeks. I recall that at the end of week 1 that I actually felt high as a kite for a good few days. Energy and positivity bursting out all over the place for quite a long time after that. Wish I could recapture that! I have asked myself the same sorts of questions about whether I just must have felt so crappy before and adjusted quickly to a new feeling of wellness (or at least betterness!), or whether that energy might be hiding somewhere under all the stress and isolation that I am feeling. I don’t have any answers, I just wanted to empathise!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone
    Just catching up on the latest posts whic are full of empathy and support
    Lots of very sensible advice and exchanges

I too love your description of cravings, Bryla and I often talk of my revulsion towards sugar as being a toxic monster, most definitely not a friend !
    Rosy..you talk of PCOS.That made me think of Esnecca who is a legend on the forum , sadly not posting any more but if you look back through the forum for her messages she is incredibly inspirational in the challenges she overcame,particularly PCOS and going from 297 lbs to130lbs a year later.
    This is Esnecca’s reply to Happyhel35 about foods which help with PCOS (dated 7 April 2019)

• posted by Esnecca
    on 7 Apr 2019 at 22:08
    Reply • Report post •
    My symptoms showed immediate improvement when I cut out the usual carb suspects (bread, pasta, grains, potatoes, etc) several months before I started the BSD. The big ones were the return of menstrual regularity and an explosion of hair regrowth. I had forgotten how when I was a kid I had tons of little baby hairs constantly growing in around my hair line. Within a month of cutting out carbs I saw them again for the first time in close to twenty years. When I went on the Fast800, other issues — persistent acne and excess body hair — resolved themselves almost with instantaneous effect to a degree I wouldn’t have thought possible. The hair on my arms lightened and receded to levels I hadn’t seen since puberty. One armpit wax lasted almost four months and grew back so light it was like a dusting. I literally haven’t been this person since the fourth grade.
    Over the 14 months I was on the Fast800, the foods I ate changed quite a bit as I experimented and my palate changed radically, so in my case I don’t believe there were any specific foods I could point to that helped alleviate symptoms. It was more about eliminating foods that made things worse. So for example I found that I could not eat more than 3 ounces of tomatoes or red bell pepper without feeling a blood sugar impact (tingling in the extremities, blurred vision, queasiness). That remains the case today even though I’ve reached my weight loss goal and am in maintenance.
    I’m sure you’ll find things that work that way for you too as you move forward. My suggestion in general for foods that allow you to reduce your daily carb intake as much as possible while still keeping you full and healthy are high fiber greens (spinach, kale, broccoli rabe, mustard greens, turnip greens, Swiss chard, collards), good fats (avocado, hemp seeds/milk, wild salmon, Brazil nuts, extra-virgin olive oil) and combinations of the two like chia pudding. Chia pudding would make an excellent running buddy, actually. It’s easy to make lots of in advance, easy to customize to your taste and fills you up thoroughly for a long time without weighing you down. Kelp noodles do the same thing.
    Here’s my tips for chia coconut cream pudding that I posted here ages ago:
    Get a can of coconut cream, or if you can’t find it, get a can of coconut milk and put it in the fridge for a few hours. When you open it, the cream will have solidified. Scoop it out and put it in a bowl. Add a third of a cup of chia seeds, fresh vanilla or extract , a grating of lime zest and any of the coconut liquid left in the can. Stir everything together vigorously or use a hand-beater if you have one.
    Chia releases a natural gelatin when added to a liquid. Let it sit for five minutes and it will turn to pudding all on its own. If you keep the chia seeds whole, you’lI get a tapioca-like consistency which I quite like, but most of the time I run the seeds through my spice grinder before adding to the coconut cream because I enjoy the smoother texture.
    The great thing about this pudding is that it’s high in healthy fat courtesy of the coconut and high in fiber courtesy of the chia so it fills you up like nobody’s business. It is also incredibly rich, luscious and silky on the tongue like the creamiest of ice creams. A serving of 70 grams is 177 calories with only one gram of carb.
    If you want to shave off some calories, use a low-carb milk alternative like hemp milk, macadamia milk or almond milk, all unsweetened, of course.
    I hope this helps. I’m cheering you on in a big way. 😀

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Thats interesting Bryla. I also think at the start, embarking on a new way of eating is quite exciting and every little change is noted and good decisions rewarded with a pat on the back, and of course the good scale readings. Now this way of eating has become the norm, we have found the foods we like and get on with and know what to expect, its harder to be excited at the end of the day. I walk a lot in the evenings and again, 6 weeks ago it was very therapeutic, now its enjoyable but the last 1.5k uphill to home does feel like a chore.
    I would love to find all the energy and enthusiasm again – i do seem to have it first thing in the morning and through until mid afternoon when I am a little more tired, fed up of work and begin to feel sorry for myself…. and the self pitu is worsened by the perception that i cant eat freely. Even when i do eat, as much as it is lovely, I still have an itch afterwards which no food will fill….. which means its not food related! Frustrating as I know the answers…… will try to find another reward I can give myself instead of thinking it has to be food.

Stress and isolation, or at least vulnerability to both, is certainly energy zapping. No one said it was easy…… and as long as i can keep waking up positive, keep reflecting and keep learning I think we can find stability in this.
    Oh I’ve decided to keep a wee ‘diary’ for the day. Noting feelings, routine, what I’m drinking, planning to drink etc in the hope i can use the info toward the end of the day to push the fast through to tomorrow…. quite therapeutic and might help with a future fast.
    I might keep a note tomorrow as well on a ‘normal’ day – just to reflect on feelings.
    This is so interesting – people who know me (or think they know me) in real life would be surprised at all my reflections on emotions and feelings…. its not something i am generally open about other than with one or two people in the world. Funny isnt it, opening up the door to your brain and being able to share it openly on a forum….

Thanks for being here virtual chums

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Is this what’s called ‘the weekly thread’? I’m new to BSD and the site (started yesterday), and I keep seeing ‘join in with the weekly thread’ on other posts in beginning BSD etc. Am I in the right place?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey there Tulip, yes this is the weekly thread and you’re more than welcome to join us. We endeavour to share our knowledge; encourage and support each other, so that everyone can achieve their goals and targets. Feel free to ask questions, vent when things aren’t going well and share all your little wins …. on and off the scales.
    I’m looking forward to sharing your journey.

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

Wendleg, thanks for the re-post on PCOS, it’s really encouraging to read that. Thankfully my periods became regular again when I stopped being vegetarian about 5 years ago, amazing! The only other troubles I have had with that syndrome is extra hair, mood swings and weight gain courtesy of insulin. It’s good to hear that these symptoms can be banished. As this condition predisposes me to T2 diabetes I really do have to take this seriously.

I listened to Dr Cwyes this morning and the thing that struck me most was that eating carbs in the form of rice, grains and spuds etc was in fact an addition, for me. I sort of knew this but he put it so succinctly that it really hit home. I believe my drug addiction was born out of this. I feel as if I have gone full circle. I had to surrender to the idea that I can not use drugs without that behaviour becoming out of control and it causing much harm (only took 34 years to get there) and I need to apply the same attitude to carbs in order for me to succeed and be where I want to be. We have a saying in NA – “ONE IS TOO MANY AND A THOUSAND NEVER ENOUGH” I will surrender again and apply this principle to carbs. At the end of the day what ever we pick up, carbs, drugs, alcohol, it’s all about fixing feelings I guess. I will need to practice acceptance on all sorts of levels to achieve this….. ONE DAY AT A TIME! 🧡🌹🍏

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Thank you SunnyB, I’m absolutely determined to make this work, I’ve just been diagnosed with prediabetes and have 3-4 stone to lose. This was recommended by the diabetes nurse at my surgery.

• posted by zuzuvela
    on

I’m in the middle of Week 8 and with 5 weeks to go, I’m thinking about the transition. I’ll still have some weight to lose (I’m hoping 13-14kg at most!) so I’ll switch to 4:3 at first. As I mentioned before I have some experience with dieting (like most of us, I imagine!) and I know that regular weigh-ins and keeping track of what I eat will help me stay on track. My other half doesn’t have much weight to lose but has to keep to a healthy diet for the next 6-12 months, so that’s also very good for me. I’m hoping that we can just continue with similar daily food routines and keep the good habits that we’ve been building. In the meantime, I’ll focus on the next 5 and a half weeks!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Welcome Tulip1 ! You have found us..you are definitely in the right place. That’s great that your diabetes nurse recommnded BSD/Fast 800.. As Sunny has said, just shout out if you need any help starting out.
    Below is a post I have saved so I can make it availabe to new members and hopefully it will help you as you start out

I assume you have had time to read the Fast 800 book so you understand the basic principles ? It means a radical shift in thinking . It’ s important for the first 8 weeks to keep calories low ( 800) and that means planning meals to include protein , leafy green veg , healthy fats ( avocado, olive oil, nuts and seeds, Greek yoghurt are Ok ) and avoiding high carb foods ( bread, pasta, rice, starchy veg ) You can keep things simple by avoiding all processed foods and anything low cal or low fat which is often full of sugar or chemical sugar substitutes.
    The Fast 800 book does offer some recipe ideas ( be wary of calories which can be way off) but if you eat breakfast think in terms of eggs and some protein. Do you need to take lunch to work with you ?
    What time do you eat your evening meal ? Again, protein and green salad or leafy veg is the way to go.
    When I first started out ( in September 2018) I recorded everything in a notebook from The Works and I liked having a sort of diary of my progress.I also included my measurements starting out, any recipes I gleaned and also videos and books which were recommended.
    Understanding the role of insulin and keeping blood sugars stable is vital and I found Jason Fung’s The Obesity Code explained this clearly . My reading led me to a serious aversion to processed junk and the demon sugar !
    I am a bit all or nothing so I never tried any low carb substitutes for bread etc although cauliflower rice is a big favourite ! Try to eat natural, whole foods. It’ s important to be aware that you will probably go through a form of carb withdrawal as you start out which can mean headaches, fatigue and brain fog in the early days but it wll pass . Make sure you drink lots of water, herbal tea, black coffee etc to stay hydrated.On the positive side you will feel energised and so much better and it is common to lose 10% of your body weight in the first 8 weeks.
    You can also track your progress on an app. Lots of people use My Fitness Pal or Carb Manager. Find something that works for you.
    We always recommend the Diet Doctor website which is a great resource for recipe, meal plans, videos and very useful articles.
    That’s just for starters but feel free to ask any questions you may have. Our experiences are all different but we are all converts to this low carb programme and relief from years of yo yo dieting !
    The prize is increased energy and health ! All the very best to you

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,
    Welcome Tulip😊, you can do this !
    Not feeling too great today, been up most of the night vomiting.
    Lost 1/2 inch from my waist since Sunday so that’s a bonus.
    Wendleg, I remember esnecca when she used to post on here, she was very informative as are all of you. Loved her recipes.
    Bryla, very interesting about the hunger hormone , our bodies are certainly a mystery. It’s amazing how much we learn along this WOE journey.
    I’m probably being forced into a fast today, the thought of food is making me feel ill.
    Ok have a great day/ night beautiful people 😊🖐️

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hello everyone,
    I feel like I may just have turned a corner today, and that I may be getting a bit deeper into fat burning mode. I was really hungry yesterday as I ended up doing 2 HIIT workouts, so I had dinner, but very low carb. Today I did yoga first thing and then had breakfast. Had part of my lunch at noon and then went out for a walk. I usually finish my lunch right after my walk, but I was not hungry, so forgot about it until 3:30pm when I was starting to feel quite sleepy and low energy, so I had my mini frittatas and perked up quite quickly. I came home and had to do several hours of house cleaning as I found out very last minute from my estate agent that I have a viewing on my place first thing tomorrow. I haven’t had one for 2.5 weeks so I had let keeping the place spotless every day slide. I’ve only had a glass of water since finishing, and I’m not hungry. I’ve got that nice even feeling of just humming along that I associate with fat burning during fasting. So I’m not planning on eating anything more today and will see if I can go until at least noon tomorrow, as that will put me over 20 hours.

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

Hello everyone!
    Lost another 2llbs, yey! 16 total.
    Spent some time yesterday trying on some size 16 dresses given to me and whilst they fitted I’m still very aware of my tummy. Hoping they’ll look better on after a few more pounds have been discarded. Felt good though. Today I’m going to commit to getting rid of my big jeans, no going back!
    Previously I have held on to bigger items knowing I’ll need them sometime. Not so anymore… also noticed that when I put my knickers on they kind of whizz on up my body 🤣 Loving the little changes. Need to buy some new clothes soon as winging it with only one pair of jeans and a couple of dresses. I feel great, just wish I had somewhere to go and show off, going to the tip next week, living the high life! 😂
    I’m very aware that this is for life, this WOE and that feels big. Something I heard Dr Cwyes talk about yesterday was about finding things, other than carbs to deal with emotional stress. As a serial self medicator I’m going to treat this as of utmost importance. I will be looking to exercise (I would like to learn a martial art) and other activities, probably creative and horticultural ones. Yesterday I made a birthday card for one of the girls that I was pleased with and shall develop the design further.
    Must go, one of the little ones is awake!
    Keep up the good work everyone, much love x 🌹🍏

Please log in or register to post a reply.