ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning July 28th 2020

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

So much discussion about obesity in the news right now . If you are anxious and want to embark on a programme to discard some weight, adopt healthier eating habits after emerging from a lengthy lock down period, and generally work towards finding peace around food….then come and join us !
    We plan a week at a time so if you are starting out then you can work on making gradual changes and come and ask us any questions you wish. There are some fabulous successes on the thread and even if the numbers don’t always show a constant downward trend we know we are all working towards being healthy, fitter and happier in our bodies !!

Sunny and I were wondering today if we would see renewed activity on the forum as a result of the news coverage . You are all very welcome !

Wendy and Sunny B

• posted by wendleg
    on

We would love to hear from you ……………………….

SunnyB
    Merrymelba
    Niamh and Dean ( Neegan)
    EC
    Caronl
    Clarinet cathy
    Bryla
    Windyjulz
    Georgiejeorge
    oLive 1
    Puddy
    Dreamscometrue
    Gattina
    melH
    rosyapple
    LovesGroodles

timetochange
    Patricia
    Articfox
    Double Dutch
    PTR
    Britta
    Film24
    Rebeccakershaw
    JGwen (of course !!)

PlumpGoose
    Russianroulade
    DebbieDarko
    weebleswobble
    nicoles212
    Steviep
    Zuzuvela
    Frog
    GreenGal
    EachPeach
    SusieMac1957
    Limes254
    Butterlover
    PhoenixBurns
    Quetzal
    Waitaminute
    Riccoh
    Tulip1 (Clare)
    ADD6605(Dawn)
    Gyllb
    EllieAllegra

Roheryn
    AuroraB
    Sweetgirl
    BlueSkyz
    Karenwm
    SusieMac1957
    Jeremy Fisher
    ClemFlo
    LR800
    Eowyn
    Kevlondon and Mrs Kev
    Scubado
    Lulu16
    Shammy
    sunshine-girl !!!
    Beattie66
    2eviltwins
    Violinist ( Catherine)
    Sarah 1968
    Angelsand
    Lecurie
    Choccybuttons
    Sonz
    AnnieW
    Sixturkeys
    Urchin
    Delabodge( Clive)

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Well put, Wendy. With the talk of covid complications being more likely in obese patients, I’m guessing many people will be anxious to address weigh issues.

We seem to attract newcomers and indeed returnees every week and hopefully this week won’t be am exception, but of course, we are also very eager to here from everyone on Wendy’s list of previous contributors. So please, whether you’re new or you’ve posted on the weekly thread before, pleasecome and join us here for this week.

On a personal front, the scales crept up a little last week, so this week my aim is to nip that in the bud and get back to where I should be. This should be completely doable and should only take TRE, with longer o/night fasts and an eagle eye on the carbs and not being quite so indulgent with the fats.

Looking forward to hearing how you are all doing and what your plans are for the week ahead.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I am a few lbs down. I’m not sure if the general tone is as before. I liked tales of bloomers and pompoms. Last year did click.

• posted by wendleg
    on

I can always talk bloomers sixturkeys ! Love my granny bloomers still…always will 😉
    Please stay with us and well done on discarding a few pounds. Duckie would definitely be celebrating with the pompoms !

• posted by ADD6605
    on

My first day back on track almost completed,hurray! Think I will just get weighed weekly so that I’m not tempted to sabotage things if scales don’t show losses every day.I’m so pleased I’ve started this woe again as out of the many pairs of jeans I have shoved in the wardrobe over the years (some bought in ‘hopeful’ smaller sizes still have the tags on)only one pair fasten and I’ve worn them so much they now have a hole in a bad place so I’m going to have to bin them😊 I’m hoping that in a couple of weeks at least one other pair will fasten!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi, I’m in for another week. In the middle of a planned 36hr fast at the minute and feeling good at nearly 24hrs. I had a super busy day for work that made the day go by fast and I haven’t been hungry at all. It has been excruciatingly hot today. I made iced herbal tea and green tea ice lollies though to keep me cool and hydrated. I’ve kept my flat cool by keeping the blinds closed, and the a/c has only been on sporadically to keep it that way. The power did go off for about 45 min this afternoon so I couldn’t work or do anything, so out I went into 38 C heat for a walk. I had planned to go this evening when it is cooler, but there was no point sitting inside doing nothing. Took me ages to get the internet back up and running once the power was back on, so had to work late. Just a few more hours to get through before bed. Normally I would take an epsom salts bath, but tonight I think a cool shower will hit the spot a bit better.

• posted by Britta
    on

I can’t quite seem to be able to find the determination and motivation I used to have. I think my 3 day binge a few weeks back reset my brain into a different mode so things are not quite working out. I’m not particularly troubled by anything, my heart just doesn’t quite seem in it. Still, I knew that there would be a new thread today and that it is important I join it rather than leaving things the way they are. It’s a week before our holiday starts, so a good time to get a hold of things. So I’ll sit down this morning and make a plan for the week and get back into the swing of things.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

6T, I guess the tone here is not quite as last year, but then the group has different contributors these days. However, although the dynamics have changed, this it’s still a very supportive thread, with lots of caring and enthusiastic folk posting. We’d be happy to have some pompom and bloomer input again though, so feel free to help with some cheer leading anytime the mood takes you.🎊

ADD, liking the determination and it’s great to have a driver, like needing to be able to wear an alternative pair of jeans. Sure you’ll be zipping them with ease really soon😁

Arctic, sounds like you are nailing the whole fasting thing and are very organised in your approach… sure you will be rewarded for your efforts.

Britta, sorry your enthusiasm is lacking a little at the moment. Think it is normal for our level of enthusiasm to wax and wane a little. This is after all a long haul, life style thing we’re doing here and dips in mood and determination are inevitable. Maybe it’s the impending holiday that is fogging things a little. Perhaps don’t put too much pressure on yourself right now, just do your best to maintain for this week and during your holiday, then make a fresh start after the holiday.

Wishing you all a good BSD day.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Stick wth it Britta….as you say planning is a good idea . You are clearly aware of the ‘dangers’ You need to enjoy your holiday too .

The heat has been an issue here too, arcticfox .I wouldn’t have dared to go out for a walk in it ,though ! You have the prospect of your exciting move . Well done on your fasting experience.

All the very best for this week ADD ( Dawn) and hope things settle with the stresses you are coping with.
    I don’t like it when people go quiet….hoping to hear from you all , whatever your situation.
    Rosyapple…..come and check in ?
    Bryla are you ok ?
    You are all on the list and you all matter ! xx

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, self sabotaged again over the weekend and gained 2lbs. On the bright side I am still 3lb down for July and can kick that 2lbs into the long grass by Friday. The most disheartening thing for me is, that as a diabetic, I am on this diet for the long haul so it seems I can never safely indulge in a few glasses of wine at the weekend without messing it all up. Surely I am allowed to have a life. I was thinking of treating us to a restaurant meal having been self isolating for 5 months but I immediately started thinking about the calories, the food, the wine, all got too much so I didn’t book but will make a real effort to stick with it through the weekend.

On the plus side, I have reduced my insulin by a further 2 units so down from 32 to 26 in 4 weeks despite the wine slip ups. Technically the less insulin I use, the more weight I should lose as it is the insulin that made me fat and keeps me fat – horrible word. It is not just an excuse, insulin is known as the fat magnet. Oh well, I am still here and I will keep on keeping on…

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Thanks Wendleg.my sister and i are going to see my dad at 2.30 (it’s 1.30 here at mo) so I haven’t had lunch yet as feeling a bit anxious but my breakfast of berries and Greek yoghurt has kept me full.This afternoon after the visit will be a test for me as if I’m feeling stressed I would usually turn straight to something sugary.Actually just typing this post I’m thinking it may be a good idea to get a salad ready for once I’m home so will go and do that now!

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g you are allowed to have a ‘life’ otherwise what’s it all for? I was a little puzzled when I read your post. As you say your in it for the long haul. Your weight may not be moving down in a straight line but your insulin use is falling …. aim of the game maybe?
    You must be eating the right amount of carbs to keep lowering your blood sugar which is your main aim. I’m not so sure that weight per se is the key to lowering blood sugar. I lost quite a few pounds, came off metformin, regained a chunk of that loss but my blood sugar has remained ‘normal’. I’m thinking that, as a diabetic, the amount of carbs we eat is far more important than huge weight loss. Just a thought!
    Keep on keeping on ………… but do ‘Enjoy’ at the same time!

on

Yes V, I always stick with the ‘no’ carbs (white), it is just a way of life but I cant stick with 800 cals for the rest of my life (we are not supposed to) and my weight has been stable for years but not as low as I would really want it to be. It just seems that when I ease off on the 800 and go up to maybe 1000 by having a couple of glasses of wine on occasion, my weight jumps up straight away. I know it is my own fault and I should not have a glass of wine but everyone else does or has some treat. I dont treat myself with cake or ice cream of fish and chips, I dont eat crisps or biscuits and my husband and I never snack. That would impact on my BG but a couple of glasses of wine – and let me be clear, I have only had a drink this weekend in the whole of July, so I am not drinking daily or weekly, just on the odd occasion. Maybe my weight is programmed to be a certain weight and, although I can lose that bit more quite easily, it is keeping it off. Anyway I am 3bs down for July so hoping to drop more. July is not finished yet and August is another month….

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

S-G, JGwen has posted quite a few times that 3500 cals makes 1 lb of fat, so I can’t believe that this minor variation is down to you having a couple of glasses of wine on the odd weekend. It might just be water retention or transit slow down. You are obviously doing really well re your meds and from you talking about making full use of your swimming pool, you sound very fit as well. I’m with V, it would be a shame if you saw this as requiring total deprivation, especially when your perceived “lapse” cannot have had the effect you ascribe to it. I hope you will reconsider the trip to the restaurant and celebrate some return to normality after lockdown!

on

Thanks ST, I wont be going to the restaurant and I will have lost that extra 2 lbs by Friday. Just frustrated with myself that I cant seem to do that long haul like I did in the beginning. Dont worry, I wont be going to the restaurant and I am still ploughing up and down in the pool – 35 mins today and yesterday. I never give up, I am like a little terrier, once I get my determined head on. New goal, I am going back the the UK (I hope) to see family on 17th September, that is 7 weeks. I can do this. Merci beaucoup everyone.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi S-G, I have had one of those days as well. – Its been a lovely sunny day but I have spent the day indoors busy doing nothing. – I have done probably about half an hours work today and that is it. – My get up and go has got up and gone and forgot to take me with it.

I have signed up again to fatsecret today – I changed my phone a while ago, but just stuck with the usual mixture on inputs, so didn’t bother installing fatsecret on the new phone to monitor the carbs and calories that I was eating. – So today has been the first day for a while that I have been logging what I eat, and its been the first day for a while that I have not had 2 or 3 coffees in the morning before getting going. – Its not the coffees, its the double cream in them, that adds to the calorie intake. That is responsible for my stall. –

So to go back to your down in the dumps moment. – there is no way on this planet that 2 glasses of wine resulted in you putting on 2lbs of fat. – Yes alcohol keeps your body busy so you are not burning fat, but its not going to have that impact. –

You are achieving so much, every reduction of insulin is a step forward to better health long term. – Remember its not just the fat that the extra insulin creates, its also the blocking of growth hormone, and the long term negative impact on the rest of your body of insulin that you are working to heal. – Perhaps its the reduction in insulin intake rather than the scales you need to focus on? As you say yourself, its insulin intake which blocks fat burning.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    I made it to 38 hours before breaking my fast. I felt so, so good this time and I wondered if I might even be able to push it to 42 or 48, but I’ve got lots of food that needs eating before I move, so I have to balance that as well. Fresh beans and chard from my balcony garden are on the menu for tonight as well. I’m glad I pushed through. I was tempted to break the fast at 24 hours last night, but coming on here and saying I was planning to do 36 made me feel accountable.
    s-g, I agree with the others that you should allow yourself a little treat now and again and enjoy life, and if it is wine rather than sweets that should be fine long term. I too see the reduction in insulin you’ve been able to achieve over the last little while to be a huge NSV. I’m sure that has much bigger implications for your long term health than a couple of lbs here and there. Also, well done in being down 3lbs for July!
    Britta – don’t be too hard on yourself, you’ve had quite an upset and it is ok to lose your motivation every once in a while. I certainly did when I was working from the office again as I was finding it tough to stay hydrated and to take things to eat for lunch that wouldn’t require heating in the kitchen like I used to prior to Covid. I’m sure the only reason I didn’t put on a huge amount during that time is because I’m not letting myself pop over to the supermarket on my breaks like I did pre-Covid. Now that I’m back working from home I’m finding things a lot easier and getting back on track. You may want to check out some of the advice from Megan Ramos on coping and regulating eating during stressful times. I’ve found some of it quite helpful.
    Wendy – thanks for the encouragement as always. It was a very slow and short walk compared to normal, but still good to get out in the sun. I’m trying to get my vitamin D levels up, and this time of year I really only need 15 min of sun exposure to get my daily allotment! Hope you are enjoying your retirement and I’m sure it will sink in better in September.

• posted by Calliope Swan
    on

Good morning everybody, may I join you?

I started the Fast 800 just over 2 weeks ago, have lost 4kg but nothing in the last four days. I feel a little frustrated but I’m reminding myself to be patient.

My husband is doing this with me, and he’s lost 7kg already. He’s thrilled—the weight’s just falling off. He probably has 6-7kg to goal weight, while I’m a good 15-20kg away. I don’t know if it’s just my body, or a male/female thing, but it’s certainly easier for him to shift weight.

Eating on plan is far, far easier than I thought (lockdown helps!), and I felt better in myself—clearer-headed, digestively untroubled—almost immediately. I’m really doing a lot of mental work to understand this as a marathon, not a sprint, and adjust my expectations accordingly.

• posted by EC
    on

Hi all
    in for another week and as it seems with many here, I’m having a little trouble re-adjusting my appetite/plan after our time away last week and also a friend’s birthday brunch yesterday (fine food-wise but one glass of sparkling and totally lost motivation for the remainder of the day)
    Arcticfox-I still want to emulate your incredible fasting muscle!-and you must be getting excited for the move!
    I’m close to back on track today and no movement on the scales either direction, so I’m OK with that after a couple of indulgences

Calliope (such a lovely image) Swan-I think it’s pretty common for the fellas to shift weight faster (damn them!!) -I agree that lockdown helps – It’s made me realise that a lot of my food habits are centred around family or social events (dangerous as I love cooking for people!)

That said, it’s scallop season down here so I’m making a Spanish seafood soup tonight -hopefully sufficient for a few meals as I need to be at the desk a lot more this week

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,
    Been missing in action for the last couple of weeks, I’ve gained and lost, gained and lost, due to self sabotaging AGAIN!!!
    Anyway I’m back and trying to stay on track.
    Great to see we have a few new people. Welcome to u all😊..
    Fasted for 18 hours and just had yoghurt, berries, linseeds and a small apple. Feeling quite full.
    I’m trying to keep myself busy so I don’t think about eating,it seems to work.
    Have a great week 😊🖐️

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Ive been reading all the posts for this week and I’m feeling the same.I ate out last weekend ordered salt and pepper squid with coleslaw and someone ordered a glass of moscato which was very sweet.this indulgence added 0.9kg a whole week of hard work .I’m thinking some of it was extra fluid due to salt and sugar .I don’t want to eat out any more ,it broke the eating pattern and stirred up up my carb addiction.Its not worth it. Im still struggling with late night eating but I’m missing breakfast to offset it.Weight is going down by 0.2 daily so I just need to stay on track.NO CHOICE, I MUST NOT GIVE UP.This is my new mantra my health is too important .My goal is to discard 10 kg . KOKO

• posted by Jeremy Fisher
    on

Hi Everyone.
    Back to it today after 3 weeks off. Aiming for another 4-week stint. I put 5lbs back on during my ‘break’, and half an inch on my waistline. I’m quite happy with that as I’ve still lost half a stone overall and much of the 5lbs gain will be glycogen/water which was always going to go back on as soon as I started eating normally.

Having said that – I do worry about how I’ll cope when I reach my target weight. I don’t think I can keep low carb up permanently, and yet I crave food all the time when I’m eating normally. The break has taught me that I do need to do something differently. I’m just not sure what that is at the moment.

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-
    Week 1: Lost 8lb. 800 cals. TRE. Great results, but a tough week with ‘carb flu’ and horrendous running that turned into walks.
    Week 2: Lost 2lb. 1150cals, low carb, and no longer TRE to make life easier. Running a little better but still some walking needed.
    Week 3 (this week): Lost 2.5lb. No need to walk in runs this week – more back to normal.
    Week 4: No weight loss (or gain), but 1/2 inch off my waste. Daily calories were over my 1150 target most days. Carbs were still low. I’ve decided to take a break for 2 weeks to get my determination back. Running much better since being back on carbs.
    Week 5: Gain 2lbs (net loss 10lbs). Back to normal eating this week (but trying not to overdo it!!) as part of a 2-week break.
    Week 6: Gain 3lbs (net loss 8lbs). Eating normally.
    Week 7: No change (net loss 8lbs). Eating normally. The break turned into 3 weeks!

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g YES ….. a new day, a new week, a new month and we still keep on …….. In the long term we are getting there. Maybe not as slim as we’d like but definitely healthier than we were four years ago!
    JGwen it’s funny you should mention FatSecret I too logged my intake for the first time in an age on Monday. I was shocked!!!!!! Goodness knows how many calories I have been consuming over the last few months. I logged just short of 1500 calories but less than 50 carbs on Monday. Yesterday I had 400 just for lunch but then had an Indian meal so I didn’t even bother trying to count! In saying that I only had chicken tikka and salad and one poppodum so not really too many carbs. When I look back to the early days I even weighed lettuce! I know what I need to do as I know you do as well. For me the secret is definitely in logging everything I consume.
    Hope everyone has a successful week, whatever the goal.

• posted by Bryla
    on

Hello BSD friends! Just catching up on posts and checking in. I see lots of us are having ups and downs, but hang in there- we can do it!

I do hope that the news stories trigger more interest in our WOE – I know I wish I had known about it years ago.

Calliope Swan -welcome and congrats on your great progress so far! I would say try not to worry about what the scales are doing day to day. For me the pattern tended to be that there would be no change for at least 7-10 days, then I would see a rewarding discard two days in a row. I used FatSecret to chart my progress and it really helped me to look at a graph there of what was happening over time. Patience definitely helps, as does not comparing ourselves with other people’s trajectories- our bodies all seem to work so differently.

I continue to maintain and feel comfortable with my way of eating. Really chuffed. However, I have realised that with low mood my activity levels have taken a real dive and I need to work hard on that now for mental and physical health. Lack of motivation and energy is a huge barrier but I hope I can find the same motivation and self-control that I used to change my attitude to food if I just dig deep enough. My goal for now is to get back on the exercise bike every day, even if it’s only for 5 minutes.

Lots of love to everyone. Hope you’re okay, RosyAppple? And if you’re not okay then we’re definitely still here for you!

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

I’m in for the week.
    I’m also still a little bit in the ‘feeling flat’ camp. Britta, we are very aligned in may ways, a lot of what you said resonates with me.
    I think from reading all the posts and all the lack of motivation it is fair to realise and accept that the beginning of a new way of eating is exciting, its full of learning opportunities, new meals, new habits and of course clear progress. Once we have been at it for a few months / years it is understandably not so motivating and it can be hard seeing other people eat wildly and know its not on our menu. But that said, we all KNOW it does and will work and that we are in this for the long run and that there are so many benefits other than weightloss, and that we cant all be perfect and up beat all of the time. The strength and discipline to keep on keeping on, even in a lesser manner, is incredible and we are here and we are doing it. Even if it drops to a bit of a 80-20 thing the consistency will get us there and keep us healthy. So a bit shout out to those who are digging deep, its almost a bigger achievement to ride out the tough times than to surf the easy times! You are all heros!

Welcome Calliope Swan. Men definitely have it easier. My hubby has lost weight without reducing carbs at meals, just by improving snacking and being a little more mindful….. almost need to build him up a bit as his legs are looking a bit skinny!

Nice to see you Bryla!

Also a shout out to RosyApple – bit worried about you, please pop in and say hi even if if you are struggling, we are here to support you not only through the food stuff but in general, we know you’ve had a tough time. Virtual hugs!!

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Just looking at Radio Times for next week and there is an interview with MM regarding a new series of his starting on C4 ‘lose a stone in 21 days’ looks as though it’s probably based on fast800 so should be interesting.I mainly stuck to planned meals yesterday until 9pm when i succumbed to chocolate hobnobs but putting that behind me! Hope everyone has a good day.Dawn

on

Hi ADD, can you give the days and times for the MM programme. I have looked on Channel 4 and it just gives a vague outline of the prog.

Doing okay, not lost any weight but still keeping on. Hopefully will go for a swim later when it cools down a bit as I am doing an online French class at 4pm (in half an hour our time). Had a very bad night. Was still awake at 3.30, got up for an hour and went back to bed only to lie there until around 5.45 when I must have gone off to sleep. Hate it when I dont sleep. Hopefully, no naps so might need lots of sleep tonight.

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi s-g ,it’s 3 part series,the first episode is wed 5th 9pm ch4 and I think it’s weekly after that.

on

Thanks ADD, i will link it.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Welcome Calliope Swan ! Of course you can join us. You have made a great start and you don’t need to feel disappointed at all ! Don’t worry about comparing with the blokes 😉 Yes, it definitely is a long term change but well worth it.
    Oh EC so envious of those scallops in Hobart ! Frozen noix saint jacques here are not quite the same !
    All the best with your ongoing work commitments.
    Stay with us Waitaminute. The important thing is to not give up and maybe plan in advance to be prepared for those out of control moments ?
    You never give up Buttelover. I know what you mean about eating out. I sometimes think I can cook up something nicer at home but if the experience is enjoyable, don’t worry about the occasional indulgence.
    Hi SG, Hi Verano ! I agree ,SG with what has already been said. You have had fantastic results managing your blood sugar and that is a massive achievement.
    It’s all good articfox.I love it when things go well for you after such a tough time.You are beginning a wonderful new, exciting adventure !
    Jeremy Fisher..my hubby loves his pies, bread, crisps ,TUC biscuits etc etc and beer of course but even though he would say he would never give up carbs altogether, he has made lasting changes. He only cooks cauli rice now, one slice of bread for breakfast and only chips and beer when he goes out for one of his jollies. He still buys family sized bags of crisps when I am not looking but overall he has made changes which are sustainable. I honestly don’t miss any of those highly addictive carby foods which are no longer treats for me …and maybe that will happen for you as you continue ?
    Don’t worry about maintenance just yet. You should maybe take the time to find out what works best for you ? Do you need breakfast ? Can you try more Time Restricted Eating ?
    Hi Bryla ! Good to see you ! Sorry about the low mood and lack of energy but you have shown great determination staying on track and now maintaining which is to be celebrated ! Sending you a big hug.
    Hi Julz . What worked to keep me motivated and focused was my constant reading about nutrition, the benefits of low carb , how to tackle emotional eating etc and it allowed me to find peace around food. You will reach a point when certain foods totally lose their appeal. No, they’re not on our menu but loads of other delicious foods are, which make us feel great . It definitely is a long term thing and noone gets it right all the time .
    I am sure we will all be looking out for MM’s new programme, Dawn. The renewed interest in tackling obesity will no doubt generate a lot of media output .Let’s hope it’s sensible advice !
    Sending lots of love to anyone who needs a hug right now. RosyApple there are lots of us worrying about your ‘absence’ so pleae check in if you feel able to . I will also post a message on a previous thread which Rosy will get notifications for …

• posted by Kevlondon
    on

It’s been another good week in our household – 5 weeks completed, and another 3lbs down for me, for a total loss of 18lbs. Mrs Kev is absolutely flying though – she lost 6lbs this week, for a total loss of 29lbs. I’m not sure how she is pulling so far ahead of me, but I’ve given up stressing about it. No two people are the same I suppose.
    We went slightly off piste this week and included a couple of recipes from the blood sugar diet book, just to add some variety. I don’t think it did us any harm, and our main focus is still on keeping to 800 cals per day or as near as we can. A week and a half to go before we head off four our first short break away since lockdown, and our first real challenge. I desperately want to be good, but the different surroundings and the fact I won’t be surrounded with all the ingredients and tools we usually have to hand may conspire against us. Truth be told, I’m desperate to have warm fresh bread for breakfast at least once, but I’m going to try and fight the urge. A few meals out are planned, so hopefully the chance to have steak & salad or fish & veg will present itself. Not aiming to sabotage, but the way I see it a couple of small treats are unlikely to do any lasting harm.
    We already promised ourselves a treat when we both hit 2 stone loss – obviously the Mrs is there already whereas I’m 2-3 weeks away. Fingers crossed I can stay motivated enough to do it.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Brilliant results Kev and Mrs Kev. Wotth remembering the treats don”t need to be food related, so when you get to the two stone mark, perhaps try thinking outside the box.

Enjoy your short break. It can be daunting that first time away, but if you eat largely to the BSD principles and only have one or two small indulgences, no last harm will be done.

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi all, just popping in to say I’m following this week’s thread. Lot’s of hugs and encouragement to all that need it. You are all doing great!
    I’m on holiday and in maintenance mode. It’s going well, better than I thought. Have been away a couple of days and missed my weighing day. Was panicking slightly as I feel like I’m gaining weight, but the scales were kind and had not changed when I came back. Even though I’m more relaxed with what I eat I am still staying pretty low carb. I’m also moving around massively compared to normal, so that helps.
    I also think that the long period of low carb (6 months) + fasting has helped improve my insulin sensitivity.
    Keeping on! KOKO everyone!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    Not much to report today other than work is keeping me very busy along with packing, etc. I’m watching a really interesting interview with Dr. Ben Bikman right now and while many on here may be interested, I thought particularly s-g with your discussion earlier about insulin and your inability to lose the weight you want to, you may be particularly interested in this one. At 27:48, he is talking about drug treatment for T2 diabetes and some of the other drugs besides insulin. One he talks about is metformin, which if memory serves me correctly didn’t work for you? But he also is talking about GOP1 agonists that stimulate brown fat activation. The downside is this also has some significant side effects and issues with how it works. I know Dr. Jason Fung also talks about some newer drugs that just make you pee out any excess sugar rather than relying on drugs that are trying to push it into your cells when the cells don’t really want it, which could be a better option, although I guess all drugs have side effects of some sort. So, just a thought and take it or leave it, but maybe you could talk to your GP about getting you off the insulin altogether and using one of these other drugs to control your sugar? I remember from another interview with Dr. Bikman on this channel that he said a drop in insulin levels in the body corresponds with an increase in metabolic rate of up to 300 calories per day. So that alone may assist you with being able to add in a few more calories here and there, and as a bonus may help to make discarding the extra lbs a bit easier.
    Anyway, here is the link for anyone interested. My brain always hurts a bit listening to Dr. Bikman and I have to go back and listen to things twice frequently, but I think it is well worth it for the information I glean from him:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L21Pdyjqwto

• posted by Lecurie
    on

Morning. Struggling this week as had a planned family get together then saw my friend, so I’ve eaten restaurant meals twice this week. Have lots of salad and good healthy food in house and rejoined gym this week when they reopened on Monday. Did a yoga class and going to zumba today. Drawing a line under last week and past few days and going to concentrate on taking measurements and walking and doing a daily gym class. Hope you all have a great day.

• posted by O2Bskinny
    on

Hi All. I am a relatively new starter. Today will be my 19th day following the BSD 800 diet. So far I have lost 11.5lbs which is fantastic. I am not diabetic but it does run in my family. I am, however, overweight and want to get that under control. I want to lose a minimum of another 2 stone. I would appreciate any advice to help me reach my goal.
    p.s. the majority of my weight loss so far has been in week 1 and since then it has slowed down significantly. I’m trying not to focus on the numbers but I’m also not seeing a difference in my shape (huge, flabby belly is still there). I do think my neck is thinner though – no joke! Weird eh?

• posted by Bryla
    on

Glad you’re enjoying your break, Olive – and that the scales are holding steady. And sounds like you are doing all the right things, Lecurie, so perhaps don’t worry about a couple of meals out when you are on the right path.

Welcome, O2BSkinny. 11.5 lbs is indeed fantastic! Don’t know if you’re aware that a considerable discard right at the beginning, followed by more gentle weight loss is absolutely normal? Most of us have had the same experience. When we first cut our carbs down our body accesses our stores of glycogen (a form of glucose) and each gram of glycogen is bound to about 3g of water. When the glycogen is used up, the water goes too and makes up a lot of that initial discard. After that first phase our bodies can start to use our stored fat for energy instead, but that won’t be accompanied by loss of water in the same way so we can only reasonably expect to lose 1-2lbs a week on average if we are sticking to the BSD way of eating. I don’t think our bodies always stick to the schedule, so don’t panic if the scales don’t move for a bit. As I posted the other day I found that I often wouldn’t see a change for 10 days or more, but then tended to discard two days in a row.

O2B, I think a lot of us also identify with not seeing the changes in the places we most want them for a while. I definitely lost weight visibly from everywhere but my middle for ages! Stick with it, it’s early days. I think perhaps that it is harder to shift the visceral fat that sits around our organs than the subcutuaneous fat on other parts of the body. It might be worth getting the tape measure out – this often shows us a bit of progress that we can’t see in the mirror or on the scales. Your goal is absolutely attainable – I lost over 2.5 stone in about four months (others have discarded a great deal more) by following BSD principles and the great advice from the folks on this forum and now I’m maintaining. You can do it!

• posted by O2Bskinny
    on

Thanks Bryla. Good information and great advice. I’m definitely going to stick with it. I’ve read other posts regarding carb intake and I’m not sure i can get my carbs down to 20g a day, I’m averaging between 40-50g per day just now. Once i get better acquainted with the diet i’m hoping I can change things up a bit. For sure i’m looking forward to keeping up with everyone’s progress on the forum and hope to share and swap tips. Thanks again!

on

Hi everyone, not quite 2 lb down but certainly half a pound. Thanks for the info arcticfox. Not everyone understands the consequences of injecting insulin and weight gain. When I started on it my doctor said I would gain weight – yes, 15 kgs in 6 months. He told me there was nothing I could do about it – hence the BSD which is amaaaaaazing and proved him wrong. However, I am still injecting and like I read recently, 1 gm of carb holds 3 gm of water, well 1 unit of insulin holds onto 5 gm fat. I take 26 units so that is 130 gm per day which can soon add up. So I am fighting against it all the time and a couple of small slips on the tongue can result on disproportionate weight gain. I thank everyone for their advice, but….. for an insulin dependant diabetic it doesnt work like the 3500 cals per pound etc.
    Only consolation is that before BSD I was on 40 units – win win, but on my strictest I got down to 18 units. It is just so hard living like this every day which is why I really want to help and advice people who come here and say they are pre-diabetic or newly diagnosed. I just want to shout ‘nip it in the bud quickly’ and do this diet.
    Thanks for reminding me what Metformin does to me – so nice of you to remember. It is like taking that slimming tablet that makes you pooh pure oil and uncontrollably. Many a mishap.
    My mood is better knowing that someone understands and also that I am really doing my best. So thanks arctic, I will certainly check out the podcast and maybe talk to my doctor to see if there is anything new – even a new insulin substitute – even if I still have to inject daily. KOKO
    By the way, it is bloody hot here – 38 degrees. Enjoy your own heat wave if you are in the UK but stay safe.

• posted by Lecurie
    on

Thanks for your encouragement Bryla. I did my first gym class in a long time today after doing a yin yoga class on Monday. I used to do military type training classes and circuits and booked onto zumba today which absolutely killed me! Fitness takes so long to achieve and is lost so easily. I came home and had some nuts rather than just having my one main meal as I had a slight headache which is probably from all the moving around. I’m glad I had a little portion of mixed nuts as I’ve still got a slight headache which would’ve been a lot worse without them. I usually drink lots of water through the day, not for health purposes but because I’ve always been a thirsty person. So I’ve a lovely salad to prepare and enjoy now for my meal and have booked onto a whole load of other gym classes now – it’s strange as I used to go to the gym about 5 times per week but then moved in with OH a few years ago and became a bit of a lazy slob. I now feel energised to make sure I’m moving much more each day which will keep me focused with my eating. Anyway, sorry for long post and hope you’re all having a good day.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

For anyone interested, I discovered today that Tesco now has frozen cauliflower rice … sorry can’t remember to price. Anyway I bought some, as I figured it might make a quick side dish cutting out prep. It’s packaged in 4 microwaveable bags.

Actually ended up using some this evening and it was fine, couldn’t tell it had been frozen. Rather than microwaving, I stir fried it with some spices though. Anyway, just thought I’d let you guys know about it. Might be especially helpful to reluctant cooks and those short of time for cooking.

• posted by Lecurie
    on

Hi SunnyB
    I don’t particularly like cauliflower but I’d give the rice a go so thanks for the recommendation.

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,
    O2B a couple of years ago when I stuck to this way of eating I lost weight from my feet first!!! I had to go down a shoe size😂 so u saying u have lost weight from your neck doesn’t surprise me. We are all different so take it as a great start and run with it 😊😊.
    I weighed yesterday at 62.5kg like I said I’ve lost and gained over the past couple of weeks so I’m not weighing today I’ll do it over the weekend and see what they have to say. Only had yoghurt, blueberries and linseeds for lunch yesterday followed by fish and salad for dinner. I’m positive I didn’t drink enough yesterday..after my kidney stone saga last year the kidney that had it, will ache if I don’t drink enough..weird!!.so today I’m upping the water and infusions.
    Hopefully after cleaning the house and taking my fur baby for a walk I’ll fit in a bike ride.
    Ok I’m off ..have a great weekend everyone
    😊🖐️

on

The good news 1: 2 days back on the diet and I’ve lost all the weight I’d gained in my 3 week break – that’s 5lbs.
    (That does show that that weight loss is meaningless – just water. I think there’s a lesson here for everyone when they start and stop this diet – expect to lose quickly at the start, but remember it’s perfectly natural to put 5lbs-6lbs back on when you stop at which point you should level off if you don’t overeat.)

The good news 2: I’m not hungry. I do find this almost miraculous given my normally ravenous, non-stop appetite

The bad news: I feel rubbish. Just like in my first week on the diet. ‘Carb flu’ as they call it. Headache. Tired. Irritable. Fuzzy headed. Is it really worth it? Probably, but I do wonder if this diet is really suited for me for this reason. It’s not nice.

on

Bryla – loved your post. Amazing advice for a newbie – I don’t think it could be better explained…..

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi Jeremy, just wanted to say that I would have carb flu switching in and out of the diet at first as well. I needed lots of training wheels in the form of salty broth, flavoured soda water with a bit of extra salt in, etc. when I first started intermittent fasting as well in order to stave off the headaches, tiredness, and just general malaise. So I would recommend increasing your salt intake as you are easing back in for sure. The really good news is that your body gets better at switching back and forth, which is known as metabolic flexibility. I can go in and out of fasting now with no problems. I still consume a bit of salt to keep my levels up, but don’t need nearly as much as before, and all I need now is salt and water, no more training wheels. Fasting used to be impossible unless I had eaten relatively low carb for a day or two before, but now even if I have a higher carb day, I can still fast the following day and I don’t experience carb flu. And I know from my 36+ hour fasts that I am using up my glycogen stores because my muscles will feel like I’ve been for a really hard run or done a hard gym workout, even if I’ve just been sitting in my office all day. That can make exercising in the fasted state a bit difficult sometimes, but at least I know what is causing it and I think the next step is for my muscles to get used to running off fat rather than glycogen so that my exercise performance doesn’t suffer. I actually know from my previous history of being a high performance endurance athlete that my muscles actually seem to prefer to run off fat once they get used to it. It is just that my whole system has been quite messed up the last few years due to injury and life stress, so it has been a challenge getting it back to running on its preferred fuel.

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Day 5,decided to weigh myself this morning instead of waiting until Monday as think I need a bit of a mental boost and pleased I did as I’ve lost 4lb and half an inch off my waist.Know it will be water but it’s still good to see.Going to plan my meals for the day now.Hope everyone has a good day.Dawn

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi O2B, I was also one of those who discarded a shoe size before I saw any noticeable change in waist measurement, as well as neck changing and collar bones re-emerging. – Just look at it as positive. if your waist changed before the rest you would be tempted to stop when you were down to the waist and hip size instead of getting healthy.

Jeremy, carb flu is caused by the body releasing electrolytes at the same time as releasing water. – Just as you experienced it at the start, you will experience it when you resume after a period off the wagon. The solution is to increase your salt intake, you will need higher intake of salt normally with this way of eating, but higher yet during the period your kidneys are flushing water stored as a result of a carb high diet.

on

Thanks JGwen and ArticFox – I’ll try upping my salt intake (after so many years of trying to keep it down!!), and aim to be patient with my body getting used to this!

Please log in or register to post a reply.